• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

Since before the arena was opened, Vanderbeek was also battling over a revenue sharing deal with Newark Mayor Cory Booker, who called Vanderbeek a "huckster and hustler" in a public spat last year.

Now Vanderbeek will host Booker's election night celebration at the arena but it is likely to be one of the last events he oversees as the sole franchise owner.

The Devils have been struggling to pay their bills for months, officials said, and rumors of a team sale have been circulating for more than a year. Each time a deal came close to fruition it was scrapped at the last minute.

Now, the team will require a significant influx of cash to meet its debt obligations. Even if Vanderbeek receives assistance, a new owner or group of owners will likely be in place at the start of the season in October.

http://www.nj.com/de...step_aside.html

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#2 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:45 AM

Man, why did I read some of the idiotic comments on that article :doh1:

Posted Image

#3 mxm262

mxm262

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

If you don't read the comments, how else are you supposed to know what to fear and hate?

#4 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:28 PM

Reading NJ.com comments is like sticking a fork in your eye and slowly twisting it.

#5 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,311 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:49 PM

Reading NJ.com comments is like sticking a fork in your eye and slowly twisting it.

Reading the comments section on any site an article regarding the Devils' ownership situation is posted on is like that. The number of stupid, ignorant, and uninformed out there is ridiculous.

Edited by MadDog2020, 09 August 2013 - 02:19 PM.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#6 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:12 PM

@howardeskin: Sources confirm #sixers owner josh harris has agreed on the money to purchase #NJdevils. The purchase will cover all debt of jeff vanderbeek

@howardeskin: #njdevil owner jeff vanderbeek has really lost to the bank but #sixers owner josh harris will cover that money. Done deal

#7 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,842 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

@howardeskin: Sources confirm #sixers owner josh harris has agreed on the money to purchase #NJdevils. The purchase will cover all debt of jeff vanderbeek

@howardeskin: #njdevil owner jeff vanderbeek has really lost to the bank but #sixers owner josh harris will cover that money. Done deal

I wonder if Jeff gets his season tickets back as part of the deal... :giggle:

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#8 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

I wonder if Jeff gets his season tickets back as part of the deal... :giggle:

I would make lifetime season tickets part of the terms of sale.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#9 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:38 PM

Reading the comments section on any site an article regarding the Devils' ownership situation is posted on is like that. The number of stupid, ignorant, and uninformed out there is ridiculous.

True..and it's all fed by the media.

It has to be said that the vast majority of debt JVB faces is from the construction of the arena, and not from hockey operations. You wouldn't know that from some of the articles out there.

#10 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:34 AM

To be honest, (IMHO) Vanderbeek was NEVER the face of the franchise. He's just the owner. Marty and Lou, those are the faces of the franchises. We aren't exactly the Steinbrenner Yankees here; we're defined by others than the owner.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#11 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:57 AM

I felt like Jvb's draft speech was a goodbye speech.

All the best to him

#12 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

To be honest, (IMHO) Vanderbeek was NEVER the face of the franchise. He's just the owner. Marty and Lou, those are the faces of the franchises. We aren't exactly the Steinbrenner Yankees here; we're defined by others than the owner.

And I agree, but I really think we should give Vanderbeek a hell of a lot more credit and praise for his time as owner than we do.. First off he's living the Devils fan dream in owning the team, he got us a huge TV deal, got the new arena, and has done a ton for marketing the team.. Especially marketing "Jersey's Team".. And he held on to the team for as long as he could because he really did want to be the owner for a long time

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#13 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

And I agree, but I really think we should give Vanderbeek a hell of a lot more credit and praise for his time as owner than we do.. First off he's living the Devils fan dream in owning the team, he got us a huge TV deal, got the new arena, and has done a ton for marketing the team.. Especially marketing "Jersey's Team".. And he held on to the team for as long as he could because he really did want to be the owner for a long time

+1. He's proof that in this day and age fans can't live the dream, but he did a lot right.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users