223 replies to this topic

#41 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,324 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:48 PM

Someone's cranky, I guess mom made you turn of the video games to take out the trash.

It's OK, just try and get out before your 30.

Nothing changes when you move out... your wife just tells you to take out the trash or watch the kid.  :P

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#42 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:26 AM

Oh honestly go fvck yourself.  Don't come on here saying sh!t like that if you're not going to source yourself ya moron.

This x1000 :)

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#43 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:01 AM

Ok we get it guys. No sources are just rumor mongering. Let's dial the vitriol back a bit.

#44 mxm262

mxm262

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

http://sports.yahoo....28081--nhl.html

According to this Vanderbeek keeps a minority stake.

#45 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,728 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:52 AM

FWIW, the 76ers are currently 29th in the NBA in player salaries, but they just began a 'rebuild' - which in the NBA means basically tanking.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#46 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,283 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

FWIW, the 76ers are currently 29th in the NBA in player salaries, but they just began a 'rebuild' - which in the NBA means basically tanking.

They'll be a bunch of teams tanking in the NBA next year. This Andrew Wiggins kid is supposedly the best prospect since Lebron.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#47 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

Dunno your source but I heard they will be called the Seattle Operating Systems, an unsubtle nod to Microsoft - could they buy the naming rights to the arena?  You heard it here first...

Washington Windows

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#48 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:01 AM

Not surprised to see Vanderbeek keep a minority stake, but he's essentially out of the picture as far as management/operations and while I'm grateful for his desire to keep the Devils in Jersey and the whole Newark arena thing, the former is probably a good thing. Wouldn't even be surprised if his financial "stake" is of the 3-5% percent variety to try and recoup some money and then dump the remaining stake when things turn around.. 

I do wonder what the ownership change will have down the line here in terms of GM succession and other front office changes/transitions here over the next year or two.

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#49 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:51 AM

They just let their most expensive player go, but he didn't play a game last year, and has been hurt for most of his career, and in a bad free agent year, they couldn't replace him, hence tanking. They've actually made some good personnel moves for the long term (not just tanking).

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#50 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:58 AM

http://sports.yahoo....28081--nhl.html

According to this Vanderbeek keeps a minority stake.

Minority steak is all gristle I believe

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#51 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,728 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

Not surprised to see Vanderbeek keep a minority stake, but he's essentially out of the picture as far as management/operations and while I'm grateful for his desire to keep the Devils in Jersey and the whole Newark arena thing, the former is probably a good thing. Wouldn't even be surprised if his financial "stake" is of the 3-5% percent variety to try and recoup some money and then dump the remaining stake when things turn around.. 

I do wonder what the ownership change will have down the line here in terms of GM succession and other front office changes/transitions here over the next year or two.

I doubt it has an effect - when Lou goes, unless he goes badly, I think he'll be able to have a say in his successor.  Another FWIW, but Rod Thorn was in the 76ers front office up until this summer, and he and Lou both spoke really highly of one another when they were under the Yankeenets umbrella.

#52 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:33 PM

Lou is already grooming his son Chris Lamoriello, who is the GM of Albany. Either to take over here or for another NHL job

Also I believe that when ownerships changes hands, be it from McMullen, YankeeNets, etc, Lamoriello is always working behind the scenes to make sure the infrastructure that he has put into place from 1987 onward cannot be meddled with to certain extent by the incoming owner. Basically what I'm trying to say is that Lou likely always negotiates an amount of autonomy and puts protections in place. That's why Lou is always left alone and no matter who owns the team...everything pretty much always stays the same. How many instances in the past 26 years have the owners really VISIBLY overstepped Lou. The Kovalchuk signing. That's pretty much it.

Also I feel there is no chance Lou retires before 75. And it wouldn't shock me to see him remain on as GM until 80.

Edited by '7', 10 August 2013 - 12:36 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#53 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

Lou is already grooming his son Chris Lamoriello, who is the GM of Albany. Either to take over here or for another NHL job

Also I believe that when ownerships changes hands, be it from McMullen, YankeeNets, etc, Lamoriello is always working behind the scenes to make sure the infrastructure that he has put into place from 1987 onward cannot be meddled with to certain extent by the incoming owner. Basically what I'm trying to say is that Lou likely always negotiates an amount of autonomy and puts protections in place. That's why Lou is always left alone and no matter who owns the team...everything pretty much always stays the same. How many instances in the past 26 years have the owners really VISIBLY overstepped Lou. The Kovalchuk signing. That's pretty much it.

Also I feel there is no chance Lou retires before 75. And it wouldn't shock me to see him remain on as GM until 80.

Chris Lamoriello would be a complete disaster and nepotism if there ever was one.

Let's be honest, though, in terms of what's going on. 

Josh Harris is a whole other creature here. We don't know the extent that Lou has talked with or gotten to feel out Harris as a person and potential boss. Having said that,

this is the first time since 1987 where Lou might not have that autonomy he's enjoyed or the security. He enjoyed an family-like relationship with JM, the Yankee-Nets didn't want to rock the boat with a franchise that was in the middle of a successful run and he had a friendship/partnership type role with VBK where the two had a mutual respect for one another with the same visions (sans Kovalchuk). As much as LL is a HOF executive on his own merit, he's also had tremendous fortune in terms of working for those owners and the relationships thereof.

One thing is for certain, if Harris' view of the franchise is vastly different, LL is not making it to 71 nevermind 80.

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

#54 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

One thing is for certain, if Harris' view of the franchise is vastly different, LL is not making it to 71 nevermind 80.

Doubtful. Lou's a legend for a reason. Very few owners are stupid enough to fire a guy like that.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#55 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

Doubtful. Lou's a legend for a reason. Very few owners are stupid enough to fire a guy like that.

Fired? No. Never happen in that sense.

If Josh Harris' view of the New Jersey Devils going forward isn't something that LL is prepared to be a part of, his time will come to an end.  

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

#56 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

New ownership. Anything is possible. 

#57 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

I'm not surprised the bid was closer to $300 mill, which is significantly over the valuation. Once the arena debt is under control the team can be a cash cow with the arena revenue terms in their favor. Just gotta make the playoffs consistently and Harris should be a happy man.

#58 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

If the team fails to make the playoffs again, 3 out of 4 years on top of losing both Parise and Kovy, then it would be stupid for him NOT to intervene IMO. As stated, it's new ownership. He's gonna familiarize himself with how the team has fared recently.

#59 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,728 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

If the team fails to make the playoffs again, 3 out of 4 years on top of losing both Parise and Kovy, then it would be stupid for him NOT to intervene IMO. As stated, it's new ownership. He's gonna familiarize himself with how the team has fared recently.

Any owner who has an interest in having the Devils be a profitable enterprise is going to look at losing Kovalchuk as a positive.  Any owner WITHOUT an interest in having the Devils be a profitable enterprise will soon find better options on which to spend money.

Edited by Triumph, 10 August 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#60 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:09 PM

Ok we get it guys. No sources are just rumor mongering. Let's dial the vitriol back a bit.

+1 for the use of a fancy word.

Happy if JVB sticks around. Unhappy it's an owner linked in any way to Philthadelphia.

:rant: 2 in a row!

Edited by Masked Fan, 10 August 2013 - 09:10 PM.

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users