223 replies to this topic

#61 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,706 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:10 AM

http://www.nj.com/de...08/post_34.html Good read on our potential new owner.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#62 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,046 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

It is good that he has/had family ties to Newark.

I like this bit too

Under Harris, the Sixers’ attendance has risen from about 14,000 a game to 17,000, mainly through improved marketing and lower ticket prices, the associate said.

#63 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:08 AM

The $8 million lost on luxury suite sales has to change though.

#64 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

The lost revenue on luxury suites is going to be tough to turn around. It just goes to show how little corporate support the Devils get. It is pretty much the exact opposite of the Rags and Knicks, who willingly decreased their attendance by 1000 seats to get more luxury boxes in their building.
Posted Image

#65 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,059 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:04 PM

Wonder what the ST sales have been like this summer. Even with Kovy gone sales should be good with the draft and outdoor game.

#66 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:10 PM

If the team fails to make the playoffs again, 3 out of 4 years on top of losing both Parise and Kovy, then it would be stupid for him NOT to intervene IMO. As stated, it's new ownership. He's gonna familiarize himself with how the team has fared recently.

Losing Parise and Kovy was a good thing from a contract perspective. Not saying it doesn't hurt in the short term, but anyone with an interest in the long term future of the team wouldn't want those albatross deals on the books.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#67 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

Its unfortunate that teams these days actually need those damn luxury boxes. Half the time they're never used, the other half they're used by people who barely know what's going on in the game, they're just there to schmooze and talk business. Eating gourmet meals, sitting in their own private area away from the fans like they're somehow above everyone else and not even paying attention to the game on the tvs in the box. Why bother to go to the game? Might as well have a corporate party at some fancy restaurant and have the game on in the background. It's like people who come to the game and buy a ticket just to sit at the Goal Bar and watch the game on the TV rather than just get a beer at the concession stand and bring it to their seat. Why go to the game if you're not going to actually experience the game?

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#68 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,900 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:56 PM

The $8 million lost on luxury suite sales has to change though.

It doesn't make sense to characterize that as a loss - it sounds like it's revenue the Devils aren't earning.  From the perspective of assuming that every contest will be a sell-out, sure, but I doubt much can be done about changing that.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#69 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:50 PM

Its unfortunate that teams these days actually need those damn luxury boxes. Half the time they're never used, the other half they're used by people who barely know what's going on in the game, they're just there to schmooze and talk business. Eating gourmet meals, sitting in their own private area away from the fans like they're somehow above everyone else and not even paying attention to the game on the tvs in the box. Why bother to go to the game? Might as well have a corporate party at some fancy restaurant and have the game on in the background. It's like people who come to the game and buy a ticket just to sit at the Goal Bar and watch the game on the TV rather than just get a beer at the concession stand and bring it to their seat. Why go to the game if you're not going to actually experience the game?

I scored a free ticket to a luxury box at a Yankee game last year. It was awesome -- open bar, great food -- but I had a better time watching a couple weeks later from the nosebleeds. It's tougher to get into the game in the box, even if you're a fan.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#70 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

Wonder what the ST sales have been like this summer. Even with Kovy gone sales should be good with the draft and outdoor game.

At the STH relocation event in June the host of the event said they were nearing 11,000 season ticket holders which is the highest they have ever had.

#71 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

I scored a free ticket to a luxury box at a Yankee game last year. It was awesome -- open bar, great food -- but I had a better time watching a couple weeks later from the nosebleeds. It's tougher to get into the game in the box, even if you're a fan.

Funny you should say that...I agree, the experience becomes more about the perks that come with the luxury box that it does about the reason you actually WENT to the damned game in the first place...distractions galore.  I'm happier being in an upper deck seat and chowing down on a couple of overpriced footlongs, a sack of overpriced fries, and chugging some overpriced soda.  If I want distractions, Iike readily available food and other crap, I can watch the game in my 'cave at home.   

And I really hope the ownership situation comes to end soon...just sick of it all.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#72 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

They should sell individual tickets to suites for games, like they do for some concerts.. Do it for a few suites if they aren't sold by a week or 2 before the game.

I find it hard to believe that, in this area (NJ especially), we don't have enough businesses with money to buy suites.. Panasonic really should get one with all the tax credits they got for moving to Newark.. And maybe Harris has some connections with decision makers in NY.. Some people have loosely speculated that maybe, with Jeff gone, a new owner who works in NY might do some promoting across the river

Edited by Colin226, 11 August 2013 - 05:18 PM.

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#73 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,249 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:58 PM

They should sell individual tickets to suites for games, like they do for some concerts.. Do it for a few suites if they aren't sold by a week or 2 before the game.

I find it hard to believe that, in this area (NJ especially), we don't have enough businesses with money to buy suites.. Panasonic really should get one with all the tax credits they got for moving to Newark.. And maybe Harris has some connections with decision makers in NY.. Some people have loosely speculated that maybe, with Jeff gone, a new owner who works in NY might do some promoting across the river

Panasonic does (or at least did) have a box at the rock. Reason I know is that I was in it because they gave tickets to my workgroup at my work since we gave them a ton of business over the previous few years. Free food, booze and all and it was great but they lost to the thrashers that game pretty badly. I think it was during the 09-10 season if I remember right.

It doesn't make sense to characterize that as a loss - it sounds like it's revenue the Devils aren't earning. From the perspective of assuming that every contest will be a sell-out, sure, but I doubt much can be done about changing that.

True but I bet JVB would have really liked that revenue and might be at least in a lesser world of hurt than he is now.

#74 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:03 PM

Last year for one game my dad (STH) got an email about 50% off a luxury suite to a game vs. Winnipeg and we basically had a catered party. It was a pretty spectacular experience. Although it was crazy expensive (even half off), we'd still consider doing it once a year or two because of how great it was. I wish they'd sell individual suite tix.

#75 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,248 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:40 AM

And I really hope the ownership situation comes to end soon...just sick of it all.

This is exactly how I feel. I can't wait to move on from all this nonsense.

#76 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,059 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

At the STH relocation event in June the host of the event said they were nearing 11,000 season ticket holders which is the highest they have ever had.

Nice!

#77 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:54 AM

This offseason has been brutally long. Jesus H. Christ.  

#78 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

I've sat in the luxury box 3 or 4 times and I didn't find the game any harder to get into. The people that I was with didn't seem any less interested, nor was the meal gormet. It was the same food that you can get in the fire and ice lounges. The boxes location at Prudential center is actually pretty much where I like to sit anyway, in that middle area where the tickets cost $75-$80. I feel like your post is a little unfair and stereotypical; however, I know you are saying it because of the apparent need for the revenue.

815631765.gif

#79 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

That's a bunch of crap. I sat in the suites at the Rock and I don't care who you are, the ability to watch every other hockey game on TV that night is worth it alone. Not only did I watch a live game from the suite, but I got to watch a multitude of others during the intermissions. I also got discounted beer. Not sure what fan wouldn't want that. If I could have gotten free food or if the beer was free it would have been even better, but I wasn't that special.

#80 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

That's a bunch of crap. I sat in the suites at the Rock and I don't care who you are, the ability to watch every other hockey game on TV that night is worth it alone. Not only did I watch a live game from the suite, but I got to watch a multitude of others during the intermissions. I also got discounted beer. Not sure what fan wouldn't want that. If I could have gotten free food or if the beer was free it would have been even better, but I wasn't that special.

We had different experiences. Also, it was a different stadium, so entirely possible the atmosphere was different. I'm glad you had a better time. I did not, and while I was glad for the experience, and would do it again, I was not making things up to prove a point, nor did I go to either game with any preconceived notions. I was simply writing my perspective on something that I did.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users