223 replies to this topic

#101 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,503 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

Sounds like VBK worked out a pretty good deal for himself despite being in a weak position.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#102 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:50 PM

Bout time! :dizzy:

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#103 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:51 PM

Best news of the offseason thus far. 

#104 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:01 PM

let's go shopping :)

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#105 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,597 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

Sounds like VBK worked out a pretty good deal for himself despite being in a weak position.

Well, he's a highfalutin, high-class huckster and hustler after all!

This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#106 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,794 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

David Blitzer, the other money man behind the deal is from Scotch Plains, which can't hurt. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#107 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

Very happy about this. Just seems to have worked out really well. And I think it will work out for Harris/Blitzer--the attendance/popularity and arena area are on the up, and they've got a brand new arena. Vanderbeek is happy, the new owners are happy, and fans can be happy we won't have to worry about any more debt reports in the NY Post.

#108 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:12 PM

Man, I am so sick of this offseason. I hope that is the end of the major news events. I guess in the future we all will look back and go, good god that was a good thing.

#109 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

This is so great for the Devils.. Finally a wealthy owner who can cover the debt, market and fund the team well, and most importantly ice a cap team. Really looking forward to what Harris brings to the organization! 

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

:gd:

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#110 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

spending towards the cap hasn't every really been an issue for the devils. and their marketing has been better in recent years.

still think this will be great

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#111 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,324 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:59 PM

I couldn't be more thrilled by this. This was the best-case scenario. A billionaire owner, debt taken care of, a clean slate. And as an added bonus to all of this, a cherry on top of the sundae, the city of Philadelphia is ready to riot about it. I rest a happy man tonight.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#112 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,849 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

I couldn't be more thrilled by this. This was the best-case scenario. A billionaire owner, debt taken care of, a clean slate. And as an added bonus to all of this, a cherry on top of the sundae, the city of Philadelphia is ready to riot about it. I rest a happy man tonight.

bingo...and add in a owner with Newark roots.

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#113 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,324 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

bingo...and add in a owner with Newark roots.

Not to mention David Blitzer is from Scotch Plains. Awesome stuff all around.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#114 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:23 AM

There's a part of me that's looking for some negative, just because I guess I don't want to be blindsided by anything (all of this almost seems too good to be true...the Post must be hating this), but I really don't think there is one.  Sure, on some level it seems weird that this guy owns a team in Philly and one in NJ, but so what...easy to forget that John McMullen owned the Devils and the Houston Astros for a while.  Not like the Sixers and Devils are rivals anyway.  All in all, pretty hard not to be happy about this.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#115 P-Way Chief 11

P-Way Chief 11

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:38 AM

I agree - should be a great day for the Devils. My only fear is these guys are investment bankers, one being an MD at Blackstone, and are in this to just make money. The name of the game in private equity is to buy an undervalued asset, revamp it, make profitable, and later sell it. This isnt necessarily a bad thing; however, I hope they are in it for the long haul and truly care about the Devils.

#116 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:02 AM

Harris will be on the Glen Macnow show on 94/610WIP Philly at 3PM today.

#117 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:18 AM

I agree - should be a great day for the Devils. My only fear is these guys are investment bankers, one being an MD at Blackstone, and are in this to just make money. The name of the game in private equity is to buy an undervalued asset, revamp it, make profitable, and later sell it. This isnt necessarily a bad thing; however, I hope they are in it for the long haul and truly care about the Devils.

They will keep the arena and the entertainment business and sell off the Devils for relocation if the Devils don't cut it,

#118 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

Anyone else get the feeling that this major annoucement at 11 am this morning is going to be about a Twitter "free ticket" giveaway to the LIberty Hockey Tournament in October?

Posted Image

#119 newarkcupparade

newarkcupparade

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

They will keep the arena and the entertainment business and sell off the Devils for relocation if the Devils don't cut it,

I would tend to think they would like to have a team there who is going to bring business in to the arena for a set 41 events a year as opposed to leaving all that opportunity open...

#120 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:59 AM

This is so great for the Devils.. Finally a wealthy owner who can cover the debt, market and fund the team well, and most importantly ice a cap team. Really looking forward to what Harris brings to the organization! 

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

:gd:

Overall, I think (and hope) this will be a good thing.  But, to be honest, the Devils have always had wealthy owners.  McMullen was the owner of a major shipping conglomerate and had a net worth in the high hundreds of millions, if not billions of dollars.  YankeeNets was a compilation of owners including George Steinbrenner, Ray Chambers, and Peter Simon (of Simon Malls), each worth hundreds of millions by themselves.  JVB was worth hundreds of millions before the Lehman collapse, and undoubtedly took a big hit in lost stock that he was forced to retain when they went bankrupt.  That, combined with opening the Rock at the time his financial fortunate took a major hit, is likely what led to the financial state this team currently finds itself in. 

I have no idea what to expect from Harris as our new owner.  Hopefully, he will follow through and continue to develop the area around the Rock and will work to bring more/better events to the arena.  As for the Devils, I hope he bankrolls the team well, but stays out of the decisions regarding the on ice product which reports are he has vowed to do.  Regardless, it will be nice to stay out of the ridiculous Kosman/Forbes articles every week though. 

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users