223 replies to this topic

#161 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

if they want more fans, they will need to push for those kinds of things. 

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#162 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

Interesting note - Scott O'Neil will be CEO of Devils Arena Entertainment (the off-ice operations/marketing arm of the Devils and Prudential Center) but Hugh Weber, the former New Orleans Hornets president, will be the everyday business leader in Newark.

Looks like Harris is bringing in a really strong, experienced group and providing the resource$ to make it all work!

http://www.newsday.c...evils-1.5897345
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#163 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:00 PM

Interesting note - Scott O'Neil will be CEO of Devils Arena Entertainment (the off-ice operations/marketing arm of the Devils and Prudential Center) but Hugh Weber, the former New Orleans Hornets president, will be the everyday business leader in Newark.

Looks like Harris is bringing in a really strong, experienced group and providing the resource$ to make it all work!

Feels like VBK was the little engine that really really REALLY wanted to, but simply didn't have the horsepower, and Harris is the big engine that flat-out can and will. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#164 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

Because as I said Vanderbeek said so

No he didnt

#165 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:55 PM

No he didnt

Yes he did and which one of the new owners said today that the Devils lost $25 M last season? TG mentioned today that the Devils lost $25 M last season.

Edited by LucifersDog, 15 August 2013 - 03:17 PM.

#166 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:12 PM

hopefully they'll push a little so that camp is open to public and sh!t like that... it's 2013 and Lou is way too old school and obnoxious about his vision of what is "distraction" to the players. It's bullsh!t really, Toews and Kane just won the cup and they've been doing a sh!t ton of off ice stuff and all those things that Lou forbid.

Agreed. There's a time for tradition and all that and then there's the need to get with the times. The hair/facial hair policy (yeah I really don't want a Hartnell or some guy with a caveman beard playing for us, but letting them grow a short beard if they want shouldn't be off limits, especially if it's kept neat) is old, the number policy, the lack of 3rd jersey...hiding training camp from the public except for special STH - only events. Kind of singles out the fan who can't afford season tickets but is a huge fan (or could become one) of the team and would like a little perk now and again... They gotta do more to not be so secretive and clandestine about what they do to prepare...people want to see that.

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#167 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,859 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

Agreed. There's a time for tradition and all that and then there's the need to get with the times. The hair/facial hair policy (yeah I really don't want a Hartnell or some guy with a caveman beard playing for us, but letting them grow a short beard if they want shouldn't be off limits, especially if it's kept neat) is old, the number policy, the lack of 3rd jersey...hiding training camp from the public except for special STH - only events. Kind of singles out the fan who can't afford season tickets but is a huge fan (or could become one) of the team and would like a little perk now and again... They gotta do more to not be so secretive and clandestine about what they do to prepare...people want to see that.

I actually like the facial hair policy and the policy on no 3rd jerseys.  The number policy and hiding practices from the public I agree with you.

#168 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:18 PM

I actually like the facial hair policy and the policy on no 3rd jerseys.  The number policy and hiding practices from the public I agree with you.

I agree on the hair and 3rd jersey policies.  I thought keeping the practices closed to the public was done because they didn't want to keep security guards on duty to prevent the public from entering the arena.  Maybe now with the new owners, that policy will change. 

Posted Image

#169 brodeur14301991

brodeur14301991

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

I spoke with Weber today, he seems like a real stand up guy. Good sense of humor too. 

#170 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

For the umpteenth time...the practices are closed to the public due to security concerns. There's no conspiracy or agenda or deliberate attempt to shut fans out.  

Edited by TheRedStorm, 15 August 2013 - 03:30 PM.

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

#171 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

I like how you complain about fans who can't afford season tickets. And then complain that there aren't third jerseys. Lous whole stand against third jerseys is that he doesn't want to waste the fans money by giving them another jersey to buy.

Devils.

#172 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

Lous whole stand against third jerseys is that he doesn't want to waste the fans money by giving them another jersey to buy.

It's more about having a traditional set of home and road and less about fans money.

#173 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

For the umpteenth time...the practices are closed to the public due to security concerns. There's no conspiracy or agenda or deliberate attempt to shut fans out.  

I don't believe that for a minute (I know that's the stated cover story), South Mountain wasn't exactly well-protected.  They just didn't have personal control over the South Mountain arena policy the way they do on this one.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#174 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,907 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

While I agree the team could be more open, I'll be mighty upset if the number policy changes. Maybe I've just gotten so used to it, but it feels unwieldy to see teams with random 62s and 78s and 91s. The occasional high number for a superstar associated with it (Jagr/68) is fine, but I rather like not having numbers over 40.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#175 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:47 PM

I don't believe that for a minute (I know that's the stated cover story), South Mountain wasn't exactly well-protected.  They just didn't have personal control over the South Mountain arena policy the way they do on this one.

I agree with the second part. They rented out a public facility, so while they did have some control they couldn't fully dictate a facility run by the county.

But, the current place, i agree with their story.  From having been in there enough for a variety of events I know of one door for sure (possibly 2 or more) that lead to either the main rink or to other areas of the Rock. The practice rink was meant to be accessable from the Rock itself. These doors are not locked due to fire safety rules and ease of access for staff. If they do not hire security, nothing prevents someone from wandering through these doors.

At SMA the only concern was fans actually walking into the locker room thorugh the main door. Back in the day, nothing prevented you from doing so. However, in later years they finally gated the walkway in front of the bleachers adjacent to the door to the ice.

Edited by TheRedStorm, 15 August 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#176 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

This maybe off topic but I just wanted to comment on LL, as I just watched the press conference and his interview.  This guy is an amazing, rare kind of guy.  I don't know many other fans of teams that have the respect towards their GM as much as we do and for good reason.  It will be a sad day when he retires.  I really admire Lou.  The guy VERY rarely misspeaks, every comment and answer is calculated and never takes anything for granted.  "Nothing is done until its done".  I felt like he was thanking Josh for letting him keep his job, which to me was a given.  He doesn't let his emotions get in the way of his decision making.  He has his rules and sticks by them, rarely bending, and often you can see why.  He is very respectful to all and never bashes anyone. 

I just wanted to take a moment to appreciate our GM.  Truly an amazing man. 

Sorry, carry on.

Posted Image

#177 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:57 PM

While I agree the team could be more open, I'll be mighty upset if the number policy changes. Maybe I've just gotten so used to it, but it feels unwieldy to see teams with random 62s and 78s and 91s. The occasional high number for a superstar associated with it (Jagr/68) is fine, but I rather like not having numbers over 40.

That's not what annoys me about the numbers.  I too like the fact high numbers are rare, though it's going to get tougher the more numbers that get retired.  It's the random switching around of numbers, like Josefson having 16 then being sent down and getting stuck with 9 because the immortal D'Agostini had 16 by then.  To me if you play a certain # of games, that should stay your number.  Josefson was up long enough over the last few years that people identified 16 with him.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 15 August 2013 - 04:00 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#178 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,570 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

You have an awful lot of familiarity with this debate even though you're a new member, but it's possible that VBK didn't feel like hiring security and that the new owners might.  I wouldn't hold out hope for it, but I guess we'll See if Josh will Pay.

Edited by Triumph, 15 August 2013 - 04:12 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#179 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,720 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

This maybe off topic but I just wanted to comment on LL, as I just watched the press conference and his interview.  This guy is an amazing, rare kind of guy.  I don't know many other fans of teams that have the respect towards their GM as much as we do and for good reason.  It will be a sad day when he retires.  I really admire Lou.  The guy VERY rarely misspeaks, every comment and answer is calculated and never takes anything for granted.  "Nothing is done until its done".  I felt like he was thanking Josh for letting him keep his job, which to me was a given.  He doesn't let his emotions get in the way of his decision making.  He has his rules and sticks by them, rarely bending, and often you can see why.  He is very respectful to all and never bashes anyone. 

I just wanted to take a moment to appreciate our GM.  Truly an amazing man. 

Sorry, carry on.

I don't think a lot of people will truly appreciate him until he is gone. He's always stayed professional and calculated. I'm watching Bryan Murray having his meltdown and complaining about Alfredsson's agent, and I'm glad Lou doesn't do that. He just moves on and adjusts his strategy.

That's not what annoys me about the numbers.  I too like the fact high numbers are rare, though it's going to get tougher the more numbers that get retired.  It's the random switching around of numbers, like Josefson having 16 then being sent down and getting stuck with 9 because the immortal D'Agostini had 16 by then.  To me if you play a certain # of games, that should stay your number.  Josefson was up long enough that people identified 16 with him.

That is annoying, but the philosophy is that the number isn't important in the long run. When a guy sticks, he keeps his number. Terreri wore 35, Marty wore 29, Elias wore 22 and 24, Clarkson wore 27, Dowd wore 34, etc. For us now, Josefson switching from 16 to 9 matters, but if he plays 10 years with, say, 9 or 17 or 23, that's what he'll be remembered with.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#180 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

I don't think a lot of people will truly appreciate him until he is gone. He's always stayed professional and calculated. I'm watching Bryan Murray having his meltdown and complaining about Alfredsson's agent, and I'm glad Lou doesn't do that. He just moves on and adjusts his strategy.

That is annoying, but the philosophy is that the number isn't important in the long run. When a guy sticks, he keeps his number. Terreri wore 35, Marty wore 29, Elias wore 22 and 24, Clarkson wore 27, Dowd wore 34, etc. For us now, Josefson switching from 16 to 9 matters, but if he plays 10 years with, say, 9 or 17 or 23, that's what he'll be remembered with.

Without looking it up I'd be willing to bet most of those guys played fewer than 25 games in those numbers.  Josefson played like 80 or so over multiple seasons.  Yes, a minor quibble but he and even Tedenby have been significant enough parts of the team I'd blink if they had new numbers.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 15 August 2013 - 04:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users