Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

Devils sold to 76er owner Josh Harris

Howard Eskin Twitter

https://twitter.com/...938201166233600

Edited by msweet, 09 August 2013 - 04:46 PM.
Added Twitter Source

#2 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

Wonder what the price is

#3 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

If Eskin is the source for the news report, I'd hold off, the sale as explained makes no sense unless he's buying the entertainment arm too.

#4 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

Wonder what the price is

If he bought the debt as reported (leaving JVB stiffed), $250M or thereabouts.   If he bought everything, alot more.

#5 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,027 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

Wonder if JVB got anything out of the deal.  Hope he did, I mean, I wouldn't want to see him get completely fvcked here.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#6 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

Wonder if JVB got anything out of the deal.  Hope he did, I mean, I wouldn't want to see him get completely fvcked here.

Not having that debt burden would probably be enough at this point.

#7 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

Rumors are he's been taking a very high salary for awhile.   If Eskin's tweet is true, he gets nothing out of the sale, except the debt being paid off.   Debt of the team is probably 120% or so of the value, so the new owner would be paying a premium to buy the team clean.    Kind of weird.   If he bought the entertainment arm you'd be looking at another $100M+ put on the deal.   JVB would get that money, I guess, but who knows what the load on the building is.

#8 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

Yeah, Eskin not the best source in general, plus it's an out of town reporter breaking an NJ story.  

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#9 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:49 PM

Yeah, Eskin not the best source in general, plus it's an out of town reporter breaking an NJ story.

It is partly a Philly story since its the Sixers owner that is evidently buying the team. Sort of like NJ reporters knowing about Wilfs purchase of the Viking.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#10 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,504 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:50 PM

Well, since it's a Philadelphia owner, it is a local story for him.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#11 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:50 PM

It is a Philly sports figure though.   To me it's like if Francesa started rambling about this, he probably has some connections but he has no idea what's going on.

#12 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:52 PM

Hopefully it gets done and Vanderbeek is gone. I am not sure this is a good deal for Devils hockey fans but it is better than what we had, I hope.

#13 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:52 PM

Yeah, I get it, he doesn't have NO connections to Harris, but it's still strange - maybe I'm hearkening back to my lockout days, but this feels like an attempt to pressure Vanderbeek.

#14 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

Yeah, I get it, he doesn't have NO connections to Harris, but it's still strange - maybe I'm hearkening back to my lockout days, but this feels like an attempt to pressure Vanderbeek.

The price is what is odd to me.   It's way too much and way too nice to JVB to make him whole.

#15 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

Eskin is pretty plugged in to the Philly scene.  He's a major douche, but he is pretty reliable.  I am hearing rumblings that Harris wants to move the Devils and 76ers to Seattle.

#16 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

Eskin is pretty plugged in to the Philly scene.  He's a major douche, but he is pretty reliable.  I am hearing rumblings that Harris wants to move the Devils and 76ers to Seattle.

That makes absolutely no sense on any level.

#17 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

Eskin is pretty plugged in to the Philly scene. He's a major douche, but he is pretty reliable. I am hearing rumblings that Harris wants to move the Devils and 76ers to Seattle.

Is your last sentence sarcasm?
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#18 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:05 PM

That makes absolutely no sense on any level.

Seriously, who would pay full price for a distressed sports team + their arena and then move them.

#19 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

Seriously, who would pay full price for a distressed sports team + their arena and then move them.

Not to mention taking two mid-market (for basketball I think Philly is a mid market but it's been a long time since they have been good) teams in arenas built in the last 15 years into a mid-market with an outdated arena.  It's totally ridiculous.  

#20 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

I suppose someone who is in the top ten richest people in the world with local roots to the destination. But Harris had no roots in Seattle and isn't THAT rich.

Edited by Daniel, 09 August 2013 - 05:13 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users