29 replies to this topic

#21 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:41 PM

I understand the idea of being responsible, but that is really going overboard.

"The owner should be treated as if they were the one inflicting the harm."  If a person attacked and bit someone, I'm pretty sure that would be considered assault. Essentially, every time someone gets bit by a dog, you think the owner should be charged with assault?

That would be battery, not assault and you'd have to prove intent, which would be difficult.

I think that should be treated the same as if someone was injured on your property. You should be forced to pay for any and all damages. Same as if the shed I built fell and broke the neighbor's leg because I didn't build it properly.

For more serious injuries, it should be treated like pedestrian accidents on the road. If no intent was there or if one wasn't grossly negligent, then civil court should handle the case. If the situation was caused by negligence, whether through lacking equipment necessary to contain the animal, care given to it, training, etc, the owner should be treated like a negligent driver. Similar to a death/injuries caused by a distracted driver.

I assume it's extremely rare when a person intentionally tries to harm another via their pet, but that should be treated like a murder case.

Afterwards, the animal should then be taken to a facility to decide if it can be re-trained and cared for properly by another owner via adoption. If not, unfortunately, the best thing to do is euthanize the animal.

Laws would probably have to be re-written to make this work well, but I hope I got my point across with the comparisons to existing law.

Edited by ATLL765, 13 August 2013 - 04:42 PM.

#22 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

That's crazy. I really hope this guy gets a decent prison sentence. People need to realize some animals are not meant to be confined as pets. Between the harm to the animal, the consequences of irresponsible pet owners releasing them into the wild and in this particular case, the death of two kids, it's awful all around.

From what I heard of the story, the snake escaped from a nearby pet store; had no affiliation with the guy or the two boys either

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#23 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,967 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

From what I heard of the story, the snake escaped from a nearby pet store; had no affiliation with the guy or the two boys either

no the snake was in that apartment (which was located on top of the pet store) but the owner of the apartment was the owner of the store.

but now the case is investigated as a murder. This is crazy.

http://www.fox.com.a...-investigation/

www.SterioDesign.com

#24 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:41 AM

That would be battery, not assault and you'd have to prove intent, which would be difficult.

I think that should be treated the same as if someone was injured on your property. You should be forced to pay for any and all damages. Same as if the shed I built fell and broke the neighbor's leg because I didn't build it properly.

For more serious injuries, it should be treated like pedestrian accidents on the road. If no intent was there or if one wasn't grossly negligent, then civil court should handle the case. If the situation was caused by negligence, whether through lacking equipment necessary to contain the animal, care given to it, training, etc, the owner should be treated like a negligent driver. Similar to a death/injuries caused by a distracted driver.

I assume it's extremely rare when a person intentionally tries to harm another via their pet, but that should be treated like a murder case.

Afterwards, the animal should then be taken to a facility to decide if it can be re-trained and cared for properly by another owner via adoption. If not, unfortunately, the best thing to do is euthanize the animal.

Laws would probably have to be re-written to make this work well, but I hope I got my point across with the comparisons to existing law.

You seem to have a decent grasp on pet law...let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#25 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

no the snake was in that apartment (which was located on top of the pet store) but the owner of the apartment was the owner of the store.

but now the case is investigated as a murder. This is crazy.

http://www.fox.com.a...-investigation/

So they think the snake didn't kill the kids?!?

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#26 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,967 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:50 PM

So they think the snake didn't kill the kids?!?

i dont know... it's so strange... usually when those snake kill they will bite you to get a good grab and then go around you and squeeze you until you cant breath or you have a cardiac arrest. Then it's gonna eat you.

Both kids didnt have bite marks and if you get bit by that kind of snake youre gonna scream in incredible pain. So that the 2 kids died without waking up the other in some kind of panic and that the snake didnt eat at least one is strange. Those snakes doesnt kill for fun or anything.

i mean im not a snake expert but i read a lot about it and all snake experts simply cant wrap their heads around it.

Edited by SterioDesign, 14 August 2013 - 02:51 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#27 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

i dont know... it's so strange... usually when those snake kill they will bite you to get a good grab and then go around you and squeeze you until you cant breath or you have a cardiac arrest. Then it's gonna eat you.

Both kids didnt have bite marks and if you get bit by that kind of snake youre gonna scream in incredible pain. So that the 2 kids died without waking up the other in some kind of panic and that the snake didnt eat at least one is strange. Those snakes doesnt kill for fun or anything.

i mean im not a snake expert but i read a lot about it and all snake experts simply cant wrap their heads around it.

My guess is the snake panicked after falling from the ventilation and killed the kids just out of it being the easiest solution for it to feel safe. I'm no expert either though.

You'd also be surprised at how animals will seemingly kill for no reason. It's tough to say if that's just for "fun" or if that's a competition thing, one less of you is better for me, right? At least when you're competing for food in the wild.

And I bet the snake could have easily constricted the first child to the point where he would not have been able to move or speak, before having woken that child up. How did they know the kids didn't wake up though?

#28 Joonas #6

Joonas #6

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

I hate snakes.

I fvcking hate animated avatars and signatures.

#29 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,967 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:35 PM

My guess is the snake panicked after falling from the ventilation and killed the kids just out of it being the easiest solution for it to feel safe. I'm no expert either though.

You'd also be surprised at how animals will seemingly kill for no reason. It's tough to say if that's just for "fun" or if that's a competition thing, one less of you is better for me, right? At least when you're competing for food in the wild.

And I bet the snake could have easily constricted the first child to the point where he would not have been able to move or speak, before having woken that child up. How did they know the kids didn't wake up though?

well i know kids can sleep pretty heavily but if a 100 lbs snake fall near your i'd assume that you feel it, and like i said those snake will bite you to get their hold so it would wake you up and wake up the other kid, who would of run away of scream or something. The guy didnt hear a thing, well not enough to wake him up anyway

www.SterioDesign.com

#30 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,450 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:36 AM

My husband and I heard about the snake thing and both called bullsh!t.  Probably because we heard it on the radio and heard the guy speaking.  We were honestly figuring either the man was a sociopath or the kid was. We said no freaking WAY did the snake honestly crawl through the air duct -- it was just too much unlikely bull sh!t all over that story.  Then of course - the story started changing...  :rolleyes:  I won't say no one is that stupid, but it all together seemed highly unlikely.  We'll see though.

What kid doesn't sleep with his friends during a sleep over?

Snakes don't escape an experienced snake owners cage.

anyhow -- I was going to write all that before but  it's not about hockey so...  so now I'm going to read the murder link posted above. 

I'm here for the party

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users