23 replies to this topic

#21 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,072 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:26 AM

I really think Lou thought they would get away with it. Like I said before, they didn't to anything that went against any specific rule. There was no limit on years, there was no limit on highest and lowest year (as long as the drop wasn't more than 50% per season, I believe). The NHL nailed them on  the 'spirit of the cap'. I think Lou thought it would be something that would skate through and be addressed at the next CBA.

I get what you're saying completely...the "spirit of the cap" thing isn't a sharply defined thing, with numerically-defined parameters.  For me though it will always come back to the same thing...league tells Devils not to pass through that specific contract, but they try to anyway.  Not like Lou's never challenged the league before (Jim Schoenfeld of course), but still seems like a surprise move from a guy like him.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#22 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

35+ contracts can't be circumvented.   The end.  It's possible this wasn't kosher under the new system, but under the old CBA there is absolutely nothing wrong with this deal.   100% of the cap value must be paid out even in the event of death.  Only loophole is if the player suffers a career ending injury and they don't retire, thus they get LTIR'd after clear day like Pronger does

But the extra year means that... if Alfredsson had retired ...although the Sens would still have his salary against the cap... it's now spread out over 4 years versus 3. Not sure I'm explaining that well but hopefully that makes sense.

The Devils did it much more brazenly than anyone else. 

Until yesterday I would argue. It was obvious what the Devils were doing, but at least Kovalchuk didn't say "yeah I'm retiring around year 10, the others are so the team can dodge the cap". That's basically what Alfie is saying here. I get the scope is completely different: Devils were saving million in cap space while the Sens saved peanuts in comparison. But if the crime is violating the "spirit of the salary cap", well how does this not warrant an investigation? 

The league seems to be using the same flawed logic it uses to hand out suspensions... punish based on the media attention/scope of the incident, rather than the act itself.

I don't know if I'll EVER be convinced the Devils should have been punished for that contract. It's not like shoplifting where you're punishing people to set an example for those who are getting away with it. It's IMPOSSIBLE to get away with an illegal contract because the league has to approve it anyway. I never realized Lou was warned by the league... but even if he was... so what? All the league has to do is reject the contract.

It may seem petty to STILL be mad about this... but c'mon NHL! :P

Posted Image

#23 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

the only thing that comes of this is that the Sens fans know exactly why he left now, and likely won't blame him nearly as much.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#24 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:57 PM

The Devils did it much more brazenly than anyone else.  There were twice as minimum salary years in the Kovalchuk contract than in all of the other long-tail contracts combined.

Not to mention all the piper paying that's going to be happening in the latter part of this decade while the Devils skate free of the Kovalchuk mess.

And the minimum salary years were WAY out there, into the mid/late 2020's.   Implying a current minimum salary would be such in say, 2025 is pretty bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users