Photo

Are we about to become big time rivals with the Isles?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:45 PM

1. They've had young talent forever and have done nothing with it. 2. They don't have a bunch of fans. 3. They are moving into a horrible hockey venue far from the few fans they do have. Perfect storm my ass. Guarantee you if they didn't make playoffs last year no one would be saying anything close to this. (Not taking a shot at you Mouse, just more on the topic)

Made the playoffs with one of the worst goalies in hockey last year. If they add a replacement level goalie, I see them in the top 4 in the east (know that's meaningless with new divisions, but for comparison's sake). IMHO last year wasn't a fluke (like Toronto, and maybe even Ottawa, though Karlsen's a beast, and if he's healthy, that team is much more dangerous), but the beginning of a run.

Barclays may not be designed for hockey, but it's a very solid venue. While it's not in central LI, it's off LIRR and near bars. That's a big advantage. Also, much as the mausoleum was centrally located, the roads blew, and there was always traffic. IMO moving to Brooklyn makes them convenient for new fans/fans who live in the city (and in Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island, there are some) without making them noticeably less convenient for the old fans.

Edited by mouse, 18 August 2013 - 04:54 PM.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#22 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:19 AM

Pete Campbell: "I feel bad for you"
Don Draper: "I don't think about you at all."

orson_wells_Slow-Clap.gif

Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#23 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:44 PM

The Islanders fan base hasn't disappeared, but I don't think it's grown all that much.  And sure, anyone over 40 is going to say that Islanders-Rangers is the real rivalry (much as Flyer fans of that age or older think their rivalry is with the Islanders too), but the Devils and Rangers have met 4 times in the playoffs since the Islanders and Rangers last played in the post-season against one another.

I don't know man, Flyers fans HATE the Devils, I mean really hate them. And a lot of that is directly attributable to Scott Stevens :) I've never seen a Flyers fan go red over the Isles, but I could get season tickets if I had a buck for every time I've seen a Flyers fan go off on the Devils.

You are dead on about isles fans though, all the Islanders fans I knew in 1980 are still Islanders fans, except for me. When they let go of Tonelli I let go of them. I would have done the same to the Yanks when they traded Leiter for Barfield but Messy Jesse kicked much behind (not to go too far off topic).

Edited by jim777, 19 August 2013 - 04:57 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users