33 replies to this topic

#21 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

Sherry is awful. She provides no insight to the game at all and sometimes cannot shut up.

She is like a radio version of Chico but she doesn't get called out nearly as much. Honestly I think it is because she is a woman.

Agreed. Plus I never understood the point of having a color commentator who isn't a former NHL player.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#22 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

They really are the sterling and waldman of hockey. Matt is so bad that sometimes you cant even tell someone scores unless you hear the horn in the background. He has no enthusiasm in his voice and when he does it sounds fake.

#23 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,008 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

They really are the sterling and waldman of hockey. Matt is so bad that sometimes you cant even tell someone scores unless you hear the horn in the background. He has no enthusiasm in his voice and when he does it sounds fake.

No one is worse than Sterling. As long as a PBP guy can give the basic information without being too irritating, it's all I need.

Sterling's canned calls are so gut curdling that I change the station when the team I'M ROOTING FOR wins the game or hits a home run. He actually ruins the experience of what ought to be an enjoyable moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#24 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

No one is worse than Sterling. As long as a PBP guy can give the basic information without being too irritating, it's all I need. Sterling's canned calls are so gut curdling that I change the station when the team I'M ROOTING FOR wins the game or hits a home run. He actually ruins the experience of what ought to be an enjoyable moment. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My brother has an app on his phone that allows him to switch between radio feeds for teams. Whenever we get stuck with a Yankees game on the radio, we always switch over to the oppositions feed.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#25 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,008 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

My brother has an app on his phone that allows him to switch between radio feeds for teams. Whenever we get stuck with a Yankees game on the radio, we always switch over to the oppositions feed.

Reminds me of a question someone asked Francessa, if he knew whether there was a way to tell whether more Yankees fans would listen to the Mets radio broadcast during the subway series in order not to have to listen to Sterling.

It's funny, you can tell that Francessa knows Sterling is terrible, but he has to tow the company line. He just says Sterling "isn't for everyone" and "all I can tell you is that the Yankees management loves him".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Daniel, 31 August 2013 - 01:01 PM.

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#26 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

Reminds me of a question someone asked Francessa, if he knew whether there was a way to tell whether more Yankees fans would listen to the Mets radio broadcast during the subway series in order not to have to listen to Sterling. It's funny, you can tell that Francessa knows Sterling is terrible, but he has to tow the company line. He just says Sterling "isn't for everyone" and "all I can tell you is that the Yankees management loves him". Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Oh i totally agree no one is worse than sterling. But ill tell you who else comes very close and that's michael kay. Talk about the biggest uninformed douche in broadcasting. And his calls make my stomach turn. I remember years back manny hit one off the giant coke bottle in left field at fenway and kay was like " IS IT HIGH ENOUGH????" Not to mention there will be 30-45 second periods in games where its just silence because he doesnt know what to say. 

#27 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

I don't like Kay at all but the fact they surround him with decent color guys makes the broadcast tolerable. Plus at least when it's on tv you don't have to rely on the PBP guy. I love Ken Singleton as a color guy, but I think he does a much better job than Kay at PBP. David Cone is a huge breath of fresh air since he's one of the few guys on TV that will go into advanced stats, Paul O'Neill and Lou Piniella both have great personalities, John Flaherty and Al Leiter can be dry but they don't annoy me at all.

It's certainly better than any nationally televised game on FOX or ESPN. I've been watching those games on mute with music playing in the background for years now.

#28 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

I don't like Kay at all but the fact they surround him with decent color guys makes the broadcast tolerable. Plus at least when it's on tv you don't have to rely on the PBP guy. I love Ken Singleton as a color guy, but I think he does a much better job than Kay at PBP. David Cone is a huge breath of fresh air since he's one of the few guys on TV that will go into advanced stats, Paul O'Neill and Lou Piniella both have great personalities, John Flaherty and Al Leiter can be dry but they don't annoy me at all.

It's certainly better than any nationally televised game on FOX or ESPN. I've been watching those games on mute with music playing in the background for years now.

Yeah I like ken too. The mets tv broadcast is great also because ron is knowledgeable, keith will give you a completely honest opinion which is sadly very rare in broadcasting, and gary does a great play by play

#29 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:54 AM

is there a station on satellite radio that broadcasts all of the games?
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#30 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:07 AM

Sorry but compard to Chico, Matt & Sherri are super stars...

Chico is easily the WORST analyst is sports...  If I was Lagrecca I come nowhere near the TV PBP until Chico is gone!!

Edited by redruM, 03 September 2013 - 08:07 AM.

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#31 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

Not a huge fan of them but I do love some of Sherry's digs at the Rangers organization every once in a while, on her Twitter feed...

#32 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,008 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:19 AM

Kay would be better without the canned calls.  He could also stand to use a dictionary and learn that it is not ironic when CC Sabathia ptiches against the Indians.  And anyone that's interested enough to watch a Yankee game on TV does not need to be told that Billy Beane called Youkilis the Greek God of Walks during every one of his plate appearances. 

But utlimately, he tells the story without being too irritating. 

Posted Image

#33 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,066 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:25 AM

Kay would be better without the canned calls.  He could also stand to use a dictionary and learn that it is not ironic when CC Sabathia ptiches against the Indians.  And anyone that's interested enough to watch a Yankee game on TV does not need to be told that Billy Beane called Youkilis the Greek God of Walks during every one of his plate appearances. 

But utlimately, he tells the story without being too irritating. 

Kay's journalist and talk show host persona show right through on TV - he constantly talks about money, players underperforming their contracts, road attendance, and poses 'talk show host' sort of questions to the color guys.  He's not awful at calling a game, but the broadcast could stand to have less of Kay's opinion in it.  Even though Singleton doesn't call a particularly good game, I like when he's the lead announcer because he's going to talk about what's happening on the field, mostly. 

Edited by Triumph, 03 September 2013 - 09:26 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#34 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

Sorry but compard to Chico, Matt & Sherri are super stars...

Chico is easily the WORST analyst is sports... If I was Lagrecca I come nowhere near the TV PBP until Chico is gone!!

I dont think chicos that bad at all. I love his honesty, and he does say funny fargo-esque comments every game. He does need a new pair of glasses though because he wont clearly see what happened until about the 3rd replay is shown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users