26 replies to this topic

#21 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,836 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

Same for me re: 2012...I thought they were going to lose to the Flyers in five, and that the series would look much like Game 1 of that series.  When they friggin' BEAT them in five...and then beat the Rangers in six...yeah, I was disappointed that they lost to the Kings in six, but like you said, after those first three rounds, I couldn't have been more proud of that team...I really wasn't that mad that they had lost (I was SO pissed in 2001). 

Funny thing about 2000 was that I was in full "Randy Quaid, Major League 2" mode before the playoffs.  I had no confidence in them at all...not after the '97, '98, and '99 disappointments, and the way the '00 team went into the playoffs...I thought the Panthers were going to sweep them right out of the first round, I really did.  I went to Game 2, and the Devils were trailing 1-0 after one period, and even though the Devils had won Game 1, it felt like everyone at the game was waiting for something to go horribly wrong...and when the Devils were facing a 5-on-3, it was like "Here it comes"...then Niedermayer scores on 3-on-5 shorthander to tie it up, the Devils win 2-1, and it was like everyone could start to exhale...until the Devils trailed 3-1 in the Conference Finals. 

Well said regarding 2000. With the way 96-99 had gone, I think we were all waiting for the heartbreak. Once they dumped Philly and dominated Game 1 of the finals, it felt possible. When Eddie Belfour bounced back in game 2, I got nervous all over again haha.

But man, when people say Marty was never a big factor in a Cup run, I always point to this series. Dallas scored only one goal in games 3,4,5, and 6. Games 5 and 6 are two of the most entertaining goalie duels in finals history.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#22 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

Yeah I was at game 2 of the Florida series as well in 2000 and when Nieds scored on the 2-man disadvantage, the place went nuts. You're right, we were waiting for the other shoe to drop that night because of what had happened the previous 4 years, but that goal might've been the most underrated goal of the entire run because it turned that series completely in the Devils' favor. And if I remember correctly, Nieds had returned that night from the Worrell suspension, adding to the awesomeness of that goal.

Yeah, something about Niedermayer's goal just seemed to get them going...at least for a while. 

In 2001, it went the other way...the Devils jumped out to that 3-0 series lead against the 'Canes, then needed three more games to win the series.  They just seemed to lose something after that...even when they took down the Penguins in 5 games in the Conference Finals. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#23 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:04 PM

Well said regarding 2000. With the way 96-99 had gone, I think we were all waiting for the heartbreak. Once they dumped Philly and dominated Game 1 of the finals, it felt possible. When Eddie Belfour bounced back in game 2, I got nervous all over again haha.

But man, when people say Marty was never a big factor in a Cup run, I always point to this series. Dallas scored only one goal in games 3,4,5, and 6. Games 5 and 6 are two of the most entertaining goalie duels in finals history.

That Game 1 was unbelievable.  When Sykora buried that "FU!" goal (that's really what it felt like to me) to make it 6-1, I couldn't believe what I was watching.  I know Eddie had an awful game that night (both Daneyko's and Stevens' goals would've been stopped by him most other nights), but I'll never forget the looks on the faces of the Stars when Elias and Sykora had that ridiculous goal that made it 3-1...the Stars players looked like they were thinking "Holy crap, these guys are really REALLY good, we can't keep up with them...who ARE these guys?!", almost to a player.

Yeah, Marty really slammed the door.  He only gave up 9 goals that entire series, and two of them couldn't have been more meaningless...the Devils kind of had a bit of a lull after taking a 7-1 lead in Game 1, before winning 7-3. 

There was a total of 14 goals scored between the two teams COMBINED from Games 2-6...suffice it to say goals were really hard to come by.  Marty needed to be every bit as good as he was. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#24 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,307 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

Yeah I was at game 2 of the Florida series as well in 2000 and when Nieds scored on the 2-man disadvantage, the place went nuts. You're right, we were waiting for the other shoe to drop that night because of what had happened the previous 4 years, but that goal might've been the most underrated goal of the entire run because it turned that series completely in the Devils' favor. And if I remember correctly, Nieds had returned that night from the Worrell suspension, adding to the awesomeness of that goal.

Yeah, something about Niedermayer's goal just seemed to get them going...at least for a while. 

In 2001, it went the other way...the Devils jumped out to that 3-0 series lead against the 'Canes, then needed three more games to win the series.  They just seemed to lose something after that...even when they took down the Penguins in 5 games in the Conference Finals. 

The 01 team will always drive me insane because they were the best team in the history of the franchise imo, but they knew they were really good and sometimes they got a little arrogant I suspect. You saw that type of 'whatever, we got it' kind of attitude in taking Carolina lightly once they got up 3-0. We had to go 7 with the Leafs, and then they did make short work of Pittsburgh... But it's well known they apparently had limos and sh!t ready to go after game 6 of the Finals, like they thought it was a formality. Once the Gomez goal got waved off, they quit, and I will NEVER understand why. 01 I will take with me to my grave, that team should've won the Cup.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#25 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,740 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

The 01 team will always drive me insane because they were the best team in the history of the franchise imo, but they knew they were really good and sometimes they got a little arrogant I suspect. You saw that type of 'whatever, we got it' kind of attitude in taking Carolina lightly once they got up 3-0. We had to go 7 with the Leafs, and then they did make short work of Pittsburgh... But it's well known they apparently had limos and sh!t ready to go after game 6 of the Finals, like they thought it was a formality. Once the Gomez goal got waved off, they quit, and I will NEVER understand why. 01 I will take with me to my grave, that team should've won the Cup.

Few point out that Brodeur really didn't play all that well during that run.  I mean, that Devils team allowed more than 30 shots on goal twice during the playoffs.  They had 13 games where they held the opponent to 20 shots or fewer.  If Brodeur plays .920 hockey that team steamrolls through the playoffs.

As for Brodeur, he's played great in tons of series.  He's just never stolen a series - the Devils have never come in worse than another team and he was the difference.  Part of it is the team he plays for, obviously, NJ hasn't been an underdog in the playoffs all that often.

Edited by Triumph, 04 September 2013 - 05:16 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#26 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:13 AM

In a way, I can almost understand WHY they were starting to feel invincible...they won 19 out of their last 21 games to close out the regular season, then won Games 1-3 in pretty easy fashion over the 'Canes...yeah, they were on a pretty ridiculous run (22-2 in a 24-game stretch?!).  Some will say they "peaked too early", but they still had two games to win the Cup, even though they were clearly not playing their best hockey at that point. 

Few point out that Brodeur really didn't play all that well during that run.  I mean, that Devils team allowed more than 30 shots on goal twice during the playoffs.  They had 13 games where they held the opponent to 20 shots or fewer.  If Brodeur plays .920 hockey that team steamrolls through the playoffs.

As for Brodeur, he's played great in tons of series.  He's just never stolen a series - the Devils have never come in worse than another team and he was the difference.  Part of it is the team he plays for, obviously, NJ hasn't been an underdog in the playoffs all that often.

As far as Brodeur goes, I've actually pointed out quite often that he was not very good in 2001, especially in the Finals.  He was wildly inconsistent in the playoffs that year (.897 overall save%): 

Games 1-3:  .981 save% (I remember thinking...OK, he's starting to get locked in again, after a meh season)

Games 4-11:  .869

Games 12-18:  .929

Finals:  .870

I've talked about this before, but 2000-01 was the one season I remember not having much confidence in Brodeur, and being nervous when play was headed his way.  He was so shaky in the Cup final that season.  The team really carried him that year...Marty faced just 507 shots in 25 playoff games...just 20.28 shots per game.  I rarely criticize Marty (the many MANY positives he has brought far outweigh any negatives, and even the best aren't perfect), but he was clearly the weakest link of that '01 team, and there are times I think his inconsistent play affected his teammates that postseason (which is another issue...I agree with MD2020 that the 2000-01 team was the best Devils team in terms of raw talent and "blast to watch" factor, but that 22-2 run turned them into front-runners a little bit...when they started getting pushed, it was like they forgot how to push back...and they were greatly helped by the fact that Pittsburgh, for whatever the reason, didn't seem terribly interested in competing in the Conference Finals). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 05 September 2013 - 06:14 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#27 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,040 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:29 AM

2001 Finals will forever piss me off.  At this point I barely acknowledge it.  I just remember how fun that season was and agree that I believe that was the best team the Devils have ever iced.  While the 2009 loss to the Canes was probably the 2nd most upsetting loss I have encountered with the Devils, it is still a VERY distant second to the anger I felt when they lost games 6 and 7 in the 2001 Finals.  Brodeur played like trash in that series and the team just stopped playing after they were up 3 games to 2.

What could have been if they won that series.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users