570 replies to this topic

#201 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:33 PM

I'd be pretty stoked with a lot of players that could be available at 30.  Ho-sang would be a great pick up.  Plenty of natural talent, great hands, looks as if he has good foot speed, he drives the net, can play in every area of the offensive zone. 

Pass. I'll be surprised if he ever gets to the A.

Please.  What's your basis for this?  You can't write off talent because of huge ego. 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#202 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

Are the devils holding a draft party this year?

Yes.  Lou will put everyone in the arena and blast the AC directly on them and call it a draft party.

#203 NJDEVS1730

NJDEVS1730

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:39 PM

Yes.  Lou will put everyone in the arena and blast the AC directly on them and call it a draft party.

Haha I don't doubt it...

#204 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:47 PM

I'd be pretty stoked with a lot of players that could be available at 30. Ho-sang would be a great pick up. Plenty of natural talent, great hands, looks as if he has good foot speed, he drives the net, can play in every area of the offensive zone.

Please. What's your basis for this? You can't write off talent because of huge ego.

Did you read the article? The author made a very good point about conformity. For better or worse, the personality the kid has developed is not one that will be changed, unfortunately for him, despite all his "dangling", he is entering a network of professionals that will not tolerate anything even close to what is being displayed. He made a majority of the teams do not draft list. If the scouts are doing that then coaches, GM's, owners, etc, surely are going to be a barrier to entry. Not to mention he lacks a team game mentality, I can tell you now, that he doesn't understand the game...at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

#205 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

Did you read the article? The author made a very good point about conformity. For better or worse, the personality the kid has developed is not one that will be changed, unfortunately for him, despite all his "dangling", he is entering a network of professionals that will not tolerate anything even close to what is being displayed. He made a majority of the teams do not draft list. If the scouts are doing that then coaches, GM's, owners, etc, surely are going to be a barrier to entry. Not to mention he lacks a team game mentality, I can tell you now, that he doesn't understand the game...at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

What? Speaking your mind is not necessarily being unprofessional.  If he doesn't make the NHL because he's not skilled enough, fast enough, whatever, that's completely asinine.  He's 18 years old, do you remember being 18?  Anthony DeAngelo made homophobic slurs and he may drop, that doesn't mean he'll never make it to the NHL.  Do you want a homophobe skating around the ice calling everybody a queer/f-word?  NO of course not, it's enough to make them fall in the draft, but teams will draft on talent alone.  Did YOU read the article? Apparently not very well.  No where in it does it state that he's on a majority of "Do not draft lists".  It's been REPORTED, "According to sources, numerous NHL teams have Ho-Sang on their Do Not Draft List."  Numerous does not mean half, numerous doesn't even mean 10 teams.  It also states that of the 18 teams that interviewed him, they were surprised by his personality.  Don't insult my intelligence because you read too much into an article.  Conformity is not necessary to be an NHL player.  There's something called maturity, something he may lack and as he grows old, he should also grow into a more mature and laid back personality.  A team-first mentality can also be taught.  An 18 year-old can still act like a sponge and absorb things, like how to use his teammates effectively and such. 

Edited by RizzMB30, 25 June 2014 - 02:11 PM.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#206 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,325 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:42 PM

I kind of like the idea of 18 year olds showing some level of maturity and humility, which Ho-Sang clearly lacks at this point. But that's not even so much the issue, as he apparently could care less about playing a complete game. It's not unreasonable to conclude that his massive ego will prevent him from listening to people that know a little bit more about the game than he does. He seems to have the same qualities that turned Zherdev and Filatov into busts. (I'm sure there are Canadians too, those two just came to mind for some reason).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark Edwards of Hockey Prospect said that Ho-Sang reminds him of a better skating Rob Schremp.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#207 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,893 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:02 PM

Mark Edwards of Hockey Prospect said that Ho-Sang reminds him of a better skating Rob Schremp.

So in other words, he might be good enough to play in the KHL instead of the SEL when he's in his late 20s?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel, 25 June 2014 - 03:07 PM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#208 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

Haha wow, completely forgot about Rob Schremp. .

believe-zubrus.jpg

#209 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,373 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:46 PM

Man the OHL goaltenders are terrible in that video.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#210 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,918 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:01 PM

Schremp's major issue was his skating.  Well that and his defense.  He still could've had a nice NHL career if he had been able to fix one of those things.

Ho Sang didn't exactly have the best team around him in Windsor.  And yeah, some of these quotes aren't the best.  Still, it's exactly the kind of chance I'd take at 30 - forget these 3rd line types, the NJ organization has plenty of them.  Go for a home run.  Some guys say they're going to be the best and then back it up.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#211 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:28 PM

Schremp's major issue was his skating.  Well that and his defense.  He still could've had a nice NHL career if he had been able to fix one of those things.

Ho Sang didn't exactly have the best team around him in Windsor.  And yeah, some of these quotes aren't the best.  Still, it's exactly the kind of chance I'd take at 30 - forget these 3rd line types, the NJ organization has plenty of them.  Go for a home run.  Some guys say they're going to be the best and then back it up.

You just want NJ to draft him so when he scores you can write "Ho Dang!" on game day chat.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#212 slasher72

slasher72

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:39 PM

Lou would never draft Ho-Sang. His personality is the polar opposite of what Lou looks for in a player.

#213 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:46 PM

Lou would never draft Ho-Sang. His personality is the polar opposite of what Lou looks for in a player.

I imagine a good chunk of the top talent in the NHL thinks this way. Ergo we'll never have top line talent anymore. Go at it!

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#214 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:26 PM

Another article on Ho-Sang with some safer (but still interesting quotes).

http://espn.go.com/n...ded-frustrating

On top of his diverse background, he was raised to be independent. He was taught to question everything. His mom is a business analyst who works with CEOs and business owners to try to fix their problems. In her world, one of the worst things you can do is continue to do something just because it's always been done that way. The first questions she asks is, "Why?" Ericka encouraged her kids to do the same.

In the hockey world, a lot of people take comfort in doing things the way they've always been done. Getting people in hockey to change is a grueling process that takes years. Just look at the analytics debate that baseball worked out years ago, but is still in its infancy in hockey.

So when an 18-year-old kid pushes back against authority, people notice. They don't necessarily like it. They check off a box on a clipboard and maybe knock him down a few pegs on the draft board. Or remove him completely. And at times, Ho-Sang hasn't helped himself.

Edited by devilsrule33, 25 June 2014 - 07:27 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#215 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:39 PM

mike danton was drafted by the Devils 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#216 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:43 PM

Fortunately, when that one scout said something along the lines of "the rest of the staff would kill me if I picked Ho-Sang", I don't think it was Conte. The Merrill and Matteau picks put that to rest, I hope

#217 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:46 PM

Yeah. Merrill had a lot of issues.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#218 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,748 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:34 PM

The NHL Network mock had us taking Jakub Vrana at #30. Brendan Lemeiux was selected by LA at #29.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#219 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,918 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:35 PM

mike danton was drafted by the Devils 

No he wasn't.  Mike Jefferson was drafted by the Devils.  Even when he had a reputation for having arranged a trade to St. Michael's and being aligned with David Frost.  Then he went to Albany and did well.  His next move to was to move to hollywood for a year to pursue acting.  Now Lou Lamoriello would never stand for this.  Plus when he came back he changed his name.  Then he made the Devils out of camp, probably by bribing Lou.  Of course the story gets worse from there, but this idea that Lou is totally inflexible is a narrative I imagine he likes to create, but isn't really the case.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#220 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:46 PM

Lou has shown to be quite forgiving of young players before the make the NHL. Their young. They do stupid things. They can mature.  It's once they are here, he doesn't give many second chances (that we know about).

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users