570 replies to this topic

#521 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:27 PM

Pronman ranked us as having the second worst draft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#522 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,770 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:53 PM

The Devils picked 30th and only had 6 draft picks.  I'd be surprised if they were outside of the bottom 10.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#523 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,443 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:09 PM

Chere said Lou described free agent discussions as "distracting." Not a good sign.

I hope distracting means he's actually planning on doing something :P  If he wasn't planning on doing anything I doubt he'd care one way or the other about free agency.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#524 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,235 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:50 PM

I hope distracting means he's actually planning on doing something :P  If he wasn't planning on doing anything I doubt he'd care one way or the other about free agency.

Actually I misinterpreted what he meant. He was talking about the free agency talks occurring during the draft for the first time and how it was an issue.

All these players are essentially one trick ponies. Boyes and Ryder are very similar. Raymond is a speedster but much like Brunner doesn't know much about defense.

I completely disagree. Boyes doesn't float around waiting for something to happen like Ryder. Raymond has way more experience than Brunner.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#525 slasher72

slasher72

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:07 AM

This draft was pathetic considering who we passed on. Lou and Conte could give two sh*ts what the fans think. They exist in a vacuum.

#526 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:44 AM

This draft was pathetic considering who we passed on. Lou and Conte could give two sh*ts what the fans think. They exist in a vacuum.

You and carp need to get over yourselves. All the two of you have done for the past couple weeks is bitch about everything and insist that Lou will do nothing other than sign Brian Gionta during fa. You guys are a broken record. You could at least wait for Lou to not sign anyone to bolster the offense before you hang him for it.

#527 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:59 AM

The same people complaining about passing on barbashev are the ones who complain about tedenby busting. It's not like skill is the end all be all. I've only seen a few highlights of the kid but let's be honest, 30 other teams passed on him- some of them twice, so it's not as if it was as much of a no brainer or as inexcusable as many are making it out to be.

I'll eat my words if he pans out in three years, but for now I'll trust the professional scouts that they took what was in their mind BPA.

#528 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:12 AM

The same people complaining about passing on barbashev are the ones who complain about tedenby busting. It's not like skill is the end all be all. I've only seen a few highlights of the kid but let's be honest, 30 other teams passed on him- some of them twice, so it's not as if it was as much of a no brainer or as inexcusable as many are making it out to be.
I'll eat my words if he pans out in three years, but for now I'll trust the professional scouts that they took what was in their mind BPA.

Yeah well no need to wait 3 years... look at our draft track record in the last 10 years... Theres everything to see for you to not trust them at least a little

(At least for forwards)

Edited by SterioDesign, 29 June 2014 - 08:58 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#529 William D'Aquila

William D'Aquila

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:21 AM

Lou and Conte are the experts not us!

Frankly, I do not want them to be pressured by our fan-base, so more power to them. 

#530 slasher72

slasher72

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

dmann422, on 29 Jun 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:dmann422, on 29 Jun 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

It's not like skill is the end all be all.

I'm sure Lou and Conte would be in agreement with you.

Edited by slasher72, 29 June 2014 - 10:03 AM.

#531 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:16 AM

Lou and Conte are the experts not us!

Frankly, I do not want them to be pressured by our fan-base, so more power to them. 

I'm not sure they could get any more power.  The problem is they literally have had unquestioned power in their respective areas up until recently.  Even so called experts or aces lose their edge so to speak.  I don't think they are by any means among the very worst in the league, but they certainly aren't batting a very good average over the last decade since the first lockout and it's reasonable to question given their ages/time here, that they've gone a bit cold/rusty.

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#532 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,770 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:18 AM

I'm not sure they could get any more power.  The problem is they literally have had unquestioned power in their respective areas up until recently.  Even so called experts or aces lose their edge so to speak.  I don't think they are by any means among the very worst in the league, but they certainly aren't batting a very good average over the last decade since the first lockout and it's reasonable to question given their ages/time here, that they've gone a bit cold/rusty.

They've also had less chances than just about any team, as the Devils have usually been without even the requisite 7 draft picks, and have used only one selection in the top 5, and only two selections in the top 20.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#533 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

The Devils picked 30th and only had 6 draft picks.  I'd be surprised if they were outside of the bottom 10.

Whatever the reason, drafting two and half goons doesn't help.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#534 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

They've also had less chances than just about any team, as the Devils have usually been without even the requisite 7 draft picks, and have used only one selection in the top 5, and only two selections in the top 20.

No doubt.  But that's also (as a counterpoint) part of having to use some draft picks every year to fill holes because earlier draft picks didn't pan out.  I think they are largely average.  I think Conte has been burned a bit by his European scouts and his fetish for a team full of Zubruses and that style seems to show up in every draft now.  The guy has experience, I just wonder if much like a baseball hitter, if we're seeing the change in approach as more uncertain and average decline here.

I've been a broken record in stating that I'm pretty confident that ownership is going to start asking for a transition and freshening of the minds in the front office and scouting staff if we miss the playoffs again.  We'll see what happens.

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

#535 maniacdevsdude

maniacdevsdude

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

coldply123, on 29 Jun 2014 - 11:16 AM, said:

Lou built a team that went to the Stanley Cup Finals 5 times and won it 3 times yet you still complain about his expertise. Talk about ungrateful.

#536 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,235 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:38 AM

Lou built a team that went to the Stanley Cup Finals 5 times and won it 3 times yet you still complain about his expertise. Talk about ungrateful.

It's not his expertise, it's the idea that Lou appears to have not come to the realization that teams need offense in the new NHL.

#537 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:42 AM

Who says I'm not grateful?  I've long praised Lou for what he did for this organization.

Nice to know you suffer from limitation in your reading comprehension skills.

#538 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:48 AM

Reading through these threads has become unbearable. With all of the scouting experts on this board, the Devils should just fire their entire scouting department and hire right from here.
Posted Image

#539 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,235 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:52 AM

Reading through these threads has become unbearable. With all of the scouting experts on this board, the Devils should just fire their entire scouting department and hire right from here.

Truer words have never been written.

#540 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,887 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. People want these Hail Mary picks and then call them busts a couple of years later.

I'm sure people hated the Henrique pick when it happened because they wanted another guy that they read 3 sentences about on the internet.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users