551 replies to this topic

#121 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:25 PM

This draft has pretty good depth in the 30-60 range.

I really want to take another shot at the diminutive scorer. Vladimir Tkachyov has one thing Tedenby doesn't, a track record of putting up points.

Whyyyy?  Why take a gamble on a short guy when height, like it or not, is a significant factor in the NHL?  

hxMQPDl.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 8-5

#122 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:42 PM

Whyyyy?  Why take a gamble on a short guy when height, like it or not, is a significant factor in the NHL?  

Because he has tremendous skills. He will be available with our 42nd pick or even later.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#123 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,946 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:08 AM

No it isn't.  I mean, yeah, gimme two guys of equal skill and I'll take the bigger guy, but I don't really think that height is significant.  Tedenby's issue is not height, he's not fast enough, strong enough, or smart enough.  If he dominated the AHL and couldn't do much in the NHL, then maybe I'd think his height is an issue.  That's just not how it is.  Meanwhile some of NJ's best draft picks have been smaller players:  Sullivan, B. Gionta, Gomez, Sykora, etc., and Reid Boucher may continue that tradition.  

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#124 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:14 AM

This draft has pretty good depth in the 30-60 range.

I really want to take another shot at the diminutive scorer. Vladimir Tkachyov has one thing Tedenby doesn't, a track record of putting up points.

Aube-Kubel

Tkachyov

Lemieux

Kamenev

Karlsson

Husso (G)

Ho Sang

Barbashev

Goldobin

I think we'll get a decent prospect @ 30 & 41. Although most here would like to see forwards taken across the board, there are some very good D prospects (Sanheim/Dougherty/Glover) I'm wondering if Husso will also be around by #71? (although I think Ho Sang, Barbashev, Goldobin will be gone by 30)

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#125 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,943 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:17 AM

http://www.nj.com/de...new_owners.html
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#126 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,506 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:07 AM

what this shows (or really confirms) is that the kovalchuk contract was all about JVB and pushing it through and the league despised him as an owner.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

sundstrom jersey signature

“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#127 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:05 PM

what this shows (or really confirms) is that the kovalchuk contract was all about JVB and pushing it through and the league despised him as an owner.

agree

also think Lou was more than happy to "let" Kovi "retire" so he can start building a team HIS way

#128 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,588 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:30 PM

Pronman first mock (espn paywall) has us taking Anton Karlsson, but notes that Schmaltz, Lemieux, Brett Pollock and Eric Cornel as possibilities.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#129 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:25 AM

What's the feeling on Pasternak? He's intriguing, but worrying because he draws parallels to Tedenby.  He's been scoring at a great pace, been playing in the Swedish Elite League against men, but he's weighing in at under 170 and they say he's 6 foot, but he could be much smaller.  After all, Tedenby's official height was listed at 5'10", which was very generous because we all know he was smaller than that. 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#130 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:45 AM

agree

also think Lou was more than happy to "let" Kovi "retire" so he can start building a team HIS way

To this day, I think it was mutual. I can't help but think Lou sensed Kovy's interest in returning to Russia and approached him with the scenario. And both parties left the drawing board extremely happy.

And then our team's sale went through later that month.

#131 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

Pastrnak is actually one of my favorites in this Draft, he does have a bit of a boom or bust quality to him but I feel like we actually need a prospect like that, we've made our "safe" picks with guys like Josefson but we need to inject some real skill into our prospect pool, all we have at the moment is Boucher really and I feel it's worth the risk to take a player like Pastrnak.

And not to mention, we can ALWAYS use some more Czech players, what happens when Elias retires?  We have to meet that quota. 

#132 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:42 PM

I would love to get Pastrnak if he fell to 30. Sure he's not a big guy but he did well as a 17 year old in the Allsvenskan: 36 GP 8-16-24. Pronman ranked him 16th and praised his puck handling, hockey IQ, and skating. He's a bit weak physically but he's still young and the Devils need to get guys with skill in the system badly. Future Considerations has him ranked 18th and like Pronman praised his offensive skills and mentioned his defensive game will need work.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#133 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

I would love to get Pastrnak if he fell to 30. Sure he's not a big guy but he did well as a 17 year old in the Allsvenskan: 36 GP 8-16-24. Pronman ranked him 16th and praised his puck handling, hockey IQ, and skating. He's a bit weak physically but he's still young and the Devils need to get guys with skill in the system badly. Future Considerations has him ranked 18th and like Pronman praised his offensive skills and mentioned his defensive game will need work.

I agree w/ his talent, but did you see him get rocked in that video? I'm always a lil weary of concussed players especially early on.  But I'd be happy with him @ 30. He shoots right too

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#134 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:24 PM

Agreed about Pastrnak - he would be a great pick at 30. I get the feeling that even though there is no MacKinnon or Drouin in this draft, there is a lot of skill throughout the first two rounds. I'm just looking at some of the European-born players now, and it seems pretty likely that one of Pastrnak, Vrana, Kempe, Goldobin, Scherbak, Karlsson, or Barbashev could be available at 30. All of the most recent rankings have at least one of those guys after 30, and a couple in the mid to late 20s.

If we're able to grab two forwards in the first two rounds, maybe this will be the year that the Devils finally get some young talent in the system.

#135 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:32 PM

Draft Goldobin and reunite him on a line with Boucher in a few years. :P

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#136 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:49 AM

Agreed about Pastrnak - he would be a great pick at 30. I get the feeling that even though there is no MacKinnon or Drouin in this draft, there is a lot of skill throughout the first two rounds. I'm just looking at some of the European-born players now, and it seems pretty likely that one of Pastrnak, Vrana, Kempe, Goldobin, Scherbak, Karlsson, or Barbashev could be available at 30. All of the most recent rankings have at least one of those guys after 30, and a couple in the mid to late 20s.

If we're able to grab two forwards in the first two rounds, maybe this will be the year that the Devils finally get some young talent in the system.

Reid Boucher, Stefan Matteau, Damon Severson, Myles Bell, and Blake Pietila ALL say hi.

#137 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:09 PM

Young forward talent is what I meant. Obviously, the future looks good on defense (Severson). Boucher, Bell, and Pietila haven't convinced me of much yet, though. While Matteau should be an effective player, he probably won't be a huge scorer.

Anyway, what do you guys think of Anthony DeAngelo? Apparently, he's had some off ice issues, but he seems like a very skilled player. It might be a bit of a risk, but he could be worth it at 41 if he's the BPA. I know defensemen are not what we're after now, but this kid puts up a lot of points. 

#138 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:11 AM

There's a lot of players in the 20-35 range that I like a lot but a lot of then I could see not being there at the 30th pick (Goldobin, Scherbak, Pastrnak) but I think Vrana and Bleackley would be safe bets to be there at 30 and think either would be a solid pick, my pick would be Bleackley. And I notice a lot of people mentioning Karlsson, I actually see him as a possibility at 41
I like DeAngelo, we obviously have enough defense but I think he has the talent to go in Round 1

Maybe Bleackly at 41?  It would be amazing to grab 2 of any of these 20-35 range forwards at 30 and 41.  After that maybe pickup one  defensemen, but I think this draft should be very forwards heavy for us. 

#139 slasher72

slasher72

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:32 PM

Lou will draft Claude Lemiux's kid with the 30th pick. That's my guess

#140 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:24 PM

Lou will draft Claude Lemiux's kid with the 30th pick. That's my guess

could be

is he any good?, obviously if he's a late first rounder type he's not star material, but?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users