570 replies to this topic

#141 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:09 PM

Young forward talent is what I meant. Obviously, the future looks good on defense (Severson). Boucher, Bell, and Pietila haven't convinced me of much yet, though. While Matteau should be an effective player, he probably won't be a huge scorer.

Anyway, what do you guys think of Anthony DeAngelo? Apparently, he's had some off ice issues, but he seems like a very skilled player. It might be a bit of a risk, but he could be worth it at 41 if he's the BPA. I know defensemen are not what we're after now, but this kid puts up a lot of points. 

#142 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:32 PM

There's a lot of players in the 20-35 range that I like a lot but a lot of then I could see not being there at the 30th pick (Goldobin, Scherbak, Pastrnak) but I think Vrana and Bleackley would be safe bets to be there at 30 and think either would be a solid pick, my pick would be Bleackley. And I notice a lot of people mentioning Karlsson, I actually see him as a possibility at 41

Young forward talent is what I meant. Obviously, the future looks good on defense (Severson). Boucher, Bell, and Pietila haven't convinced me of much yet, though. While Matteau should be an effective player, he probably won't be a huge scorer.

Anyway, what do you guys think of Anthony DeAngelo? Apparently, he's had some off ice issues, but he seems like a very skilled player. It might be a bit of a risk, but he could be worth it at 41 if he's the BPA. I know defensemen are not what we're after now, but this kid puts up a lot of points.

I like DeAngelo, we obviously have enough defense but I think he has the talent to go in Round 1
25smul5.png

#143 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:11 AM

There's a lot of players in the 20-35 range that I like a lot but a lot of then I could see not being there at the 30th pick (Goldobin, Scherbak, Pastrnak) but I think Vrana and Bleackley would be safe bets to be there at 30 and think either would be a solid pick, my pick would be Bleackley. And I notice a lot of people mentioning Karlsson, I actually see him as a possibility at 41
I like DeAngelo, we obviously have enough defense but I think he has the talent to go in Round 1

Maybe Bleackly at 41?  It would be amazing to grab 2 of any of these 20-35 range forwards at 30 and 41.  After that maybe pickup one  defensemen, but I think this draft should be very forwards heavy for us. 

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#144 slasher72

slasher72

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:32 PM

Lou will draft Claude Lemiux's kid with the 30th pick. That's my guess

#145 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:24 PM

Lou will draft Claude Lemiux's kid with the 30th pick. That's my guess

could be

is he any good?, obviously if he's a late first rounder type he's not star material, but?

#146 slasher72

slasher72

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:36 PM

could be
is he any good?, obviously if he's a late first rounder type he's not star material, but?

Good article on him. I wouldn't mind the pick.

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=714885

#147 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,277 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:39 PM

could be

Brendan Lemieux rankings: 28 (CSS NA), 26 (Hockey Prospect), 37 (Future Considerations), 53 (Corey Pronman), and 33 (Craig Button).

Spent most of the year as a 17 year old in the strong OHL putting up some nice numbers: 65 GP 27-26-53, 145 PIM in the regular season and 11 GP 7-3-10, 16 PIM in the playoffs. Nice size at 6'1, 210 already.

Hockey Prospect mentions that he's a super pest (surprise, surprise) and excellent around the net. Pro shot, smart player, has improved his skating, wins puck battles, strong on the cycle.

Future Considerations mentions his skating is still improving (mainly first strides need work), praises his shot and puck protection, and has his NHL potential as top 9 physical power winger.

Pronman notes that he has a strong hockey IQ but needs to stay away from taking bad penalties. Has the chance to be a scoring, physical winger if he pans out.

Seems like he may not have a high end ceiling but is a "safer" bet to become a NHL player than some of the more highly touted guys. I'd be happy if the Devils could get him.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#148 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:47 PM

Brendan Lemieux rankings: 28 (CSS NA), 26 (Hockey Prospect), 37 (Future Considerations), 53 (Corey Pronman), and 33 (Craig Button).

Spent most of the year as a 17 year old in the strong OHL putting up some nice numbers: 65 GP 27-26-53, 145 PIM in the regular season and 11 GP 7-3-10, 16 PIM in the playoffs. Nice size at 6'1, 210 already.

Hockey Prospect mentions that he's a super pest (surprise, surprise) and excellent around the net. Pro shot, smart player, has improved his skating, wins puck battles, strong on the cycle.

Future Considerations mentions his skating is still improving (mainly first strides need work), praises his shot and puck protection, and has his NHL potential as top 9 physical power winger.

Pronman notes that he has a strong hockey IQ but needs to stay away from taking bad penalties. Has the chance to be a scoring, physical winger if he pans out.

Seems like he may not have a high end ceiling but is a "safer" bet to become a NHL player than some of the more highly touted guys. I'd be happy if the Devils could get him.

I'd be happy with him, but I kind of like the idea of going for broke with a boom or bust kind of player like Anton Karlsson or even Deangelo, but maybe at 41. You obviously would rather have someone who turns into a third or forth liner above someone who never makes it, but it just seems like we enough prospects who fit that kind of role.

Edit: although the idea of having Matteau and Lemieux on a line together is very intriguing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel, 08 June 2014 - 03:04 PM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#149 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:18 PM

Lemieux sounds very much like Matteau.  I wouldn't be against it though even if they play the same style.  Guys that play that style can succeed in the NHL and are a necessity in the NHL size rink and especially with the kind of game you see in the playoffs.

I'd be intrigued what our scouts think of him.  He could be available too down at 41. 

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#150 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,277 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

I'm not opposed to taking D early since most of the Devils D prospects will be pro next year. In my opinion, I think I'd rather go with a D prospect like Julius Honka (WHL - Swift Current) over DeAngelo based on what I've read from a lot of the draft publications.

Both guys are RD and listed at 5'11 with Honka having a slight weight advantage. Both with high offensive skill. Hockey Prospect has Honka ranked 23rd with DeAngelo 34th. Future Considerations has Honka ranked 31st with DeAngelo 29th. Pronman has Honka ranked 29th with DeAngelo 37th. Based off everything I've read, Honka seems better defensively and doesn't have as many holes in his game as DeAngelo who really seems boom or bust.

Hockey Prospect on Honka: 2 way D, tremendous skating, elite hockey sense, moves the puck quickly and accurately, great mobility, calm under pressure.

Edited by thefiestygoat, 08 June 2014 - 03:21 PM.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#151 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:26 PM

thanks for the info/article on little Pepe

I'd rather have him on our team than have to play against him!

we'll see

Edited by The 29th Pick, 08 June 2014 - 03:27 PM.

#152 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,277 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:29 PM

I'd be happy with him, but I kind of like the idea of going for broke with a boom or bust kind of player like Anton Karlsson or even Deangelo, but maybe at 41. You obviously would rather have someone who turns into a third or forth liner above someone who never makes it, but it just seems like we enough prospects who fit that kind of role.

Edit: although the idea of having Matteau and Lemieux on a line together is very intriguing.

Fair point and I definitely agree they need to go for some skill/upside guys but I still think the Devils could have a shot at a one at 41 even if they took Lemieux at 30. Hard to get a read on who will get drafted where but it seems like skilled guys such as Goldobin, Point, Ho-Sang to name a few could fall.

#153 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:35 PM

I totally agree.  I don't know if you could write a better story with the young Matteau and young Lemieux ending up on the same team.  I like the idea of picking up Lemieux, so I think he's on my shortlist too right now.  The report I read on NHL.com said he's a finisher, and we could use one of those.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#154 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:04 PM

I'm not opposed to taking D early since most of the Devils D prospects will be pro next year. In my opinion, I think I'd rather go with a D prospect like Julius Honka (WHL - Swift Current) over DeAngelo based on what I've read from a lot of the draft publications.

Both guys are RD and listed at 5'11 with Honka having a slight weight advantage. Both with high offensive skill. Hockey Prospect has Honka ranked 23rd with DeAngelo 34th. Future Considerations has Honka ranked 31st with DeAngelo 29th. Pronman has Honka ranked 29th with DeAngelo 37th. Based off everything I've read, Honka seems better defensively and doesn't have as many holes in his game as DeAngelo who really seems boom or bust.

Hockey Prospect on Honka: 2 way D, tremendous skating, elite hockey sense, moves the puck quickly and accurately, great mobility, calm under pressure.

I agree that Honka is better than DeAngelo but I see him going mid 1st round so I don't see him as an option for us, in my opinion he's the 3rd best defenseman in this draft behind Ekblad and Fleury

EDIT: If I had to rank the D in this draft, I would say this:

1. Aaron Ekblad, Barrie (OHL)
2. Haydyn Fleury, Red Deer (WHL)
3. Julius Honka, Swift Current (WHL)
4. Anthony DeAngelo, Sarnia (OHL)
5. Travis Sanheim, Calgary (WHL)

6. Roland McKoewn, Kingston (OHL)

From there it really opens up so it's hard to choose up to 10, but I think all 6 of those defensemen could go 1st round or early 2nd (31-35) if enough teams want defense

Edited by Brandon, 12 June 2014 - 09:29 PM.

25smul5.png

#155 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:59 PM

If anyone is interested I put together a Top 100 list for the Draft: http://www.docdroid....nkings.pdf.html

Here's just the Top 10:

1. Aaron Ekblad, D, Barrie (OHL)

2. Sam Reinhart, C, Kootenay (WHL)
3. Sam Bennett, C, Kingston (OHL)
4. Leon Draisaitl, LW, Prince Albert (WHL)
5. Michael Dal Colle, C/LW, Oshawa (OHL)
6. Nickolaj Ehlers, LW, Halifax (QMJHL)
7. Haydyn Fleury, D, Red Deer (WHL)
8. Kasperi Kapanen, RW, KalPa (FIN)
9. Jake Virtanen, RW, Calgary (WHL)
10. Nick Ritchie, LW, Peterborough (OHL)

25smul5.png

#156 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,235 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:54 PM

If we draft Lemieux then Gelinas needs to give him his number.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#157 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:51 PM

I have a feelin Honka/McKeon/Deangelo will be gone by 30 .  Wonder how high scouting has Dougherty & Glover? 

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#158 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:47 PM

I have a feelin Honka/McKeon/Deangelo will be gone by 30 .  Wonder how high scouting has Dougherty & Glover? 

While I generally agree that best player available is the way to go, I think it has to be best available forward, unless Lou plans on trading a few of the young defensemen in the future.  We have a ton of defensive prospects that all stand at least a better than 50/50 chance of being longterm NHLers, and relatively soon at that to the extent that they already haven't firmly established themselves in the NHL (Merrill, and arguably Larsson and Gelinas).  We really don't need anymore.

The only exception I would make is for Deangelo.  He has a unique skill set, and could pay major dividends.  Still given the bust risk, I would probably take my chances and wait until 41 to see if he's still available.

Otherwise, I'm very much warming to the idea of taking Brendan Lemieux at 30 if he's available.  While I am not a talent evaluator, he seems like another one of those guys you can count on to be a regular NHLer in a few years time, albeit perhaps a somewhat underwhelming one.  However, I can imagine a line that includes Matteau and Lemieux will drive other teams absolutely bonkers. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#159 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:10 PM

I don't think Lemieux would be a bad pick but I'm in the mindset that we need to take someone more skilled this year with our 1st Round Pick, we've made enough "safe" picks like Matteau and Josefson but we don't really have any young, skilled forwards in our prospect pool outside of Boucher. I think at 30 we should be looking at potential fallers like Pastrnak, Goldobin, and Scherbak and players that will likely be in that range like Point, Vrana, and Bleackley.

25smul5.png

#160 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:50 PM

The more and more I look into players that may available around our pick the more I like Brayden Point, he's not too big (only 5'10, 160) but he plays bigger than his size suggests sort of like Zuccarello did in this year's playoffs and the kid is a real hard worker. He also put up a ton of points this year for Moose Jaw, 36 goals and 91 points in 72 games.

25smul5.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users