#141 slasher72

slasher72

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:36 PM

could be
is he any good?, obviously if he's a late first rounder type he's not star material, but?

Good article on him. I wouldn't mind the pick.

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=714885

#142 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,671 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:39 PM

could be

is he any good?, obviously if he's a late first rounder type he's not star material, but?

Brendan Lemieux rankings: 28 (CSS NA), 26 (Hockey Prospect), 37 (Future Considerations), 53 (Corey Pronman), and 33 (Craig Button).

Spent most of the year as a 17 year old in the strong OHL putting up some nice numbers: 65 GP 27-26-53, 145 PIM in the regular season and 11 GP 7-3-10, 16 PIM in the playoffs. Nice size at 6'1, 210 already.

Hockey Prospect mentions that he's a super pest (surprise, surprise) and excellent around the net. Pro shot, smart player, has improved his skating, wins puck battles, strong on the cycle.

Future Considerations mentions his skating is still improving (mainly first strides need work), praises his shot and puck protection, and has his NHL potential as top 9 physical power winger.

Pronman notes that he has a strong hockey IQ but needs to stay away from taking bad penalties. Has the chance to be a scoring, physical winger if he pans out.

Seems like he may not have a high end ceiling but is a "safer" bet to become a NHL player than some of the more highly touted guys. I'd be happy if the Devils could get him.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#143 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,613 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:47 PM

Brendan Lemieux rankings: 28 (CSS NA), 26 (Hockey Prospect), 37 (Future Considerations), 53 (Corey Pronman), and 33 (Craig Button).

Spent most of the year as a 17 year old in the strong OHL putting up some nice numbers: 65 GP 27-26-53, 145 PIM in the regular season and 11 GP 7-3-10, 16 PIM in the playoffs. Nice size at 6'1, 210 already.

Hockey Prospect mentions that he's a super pest (surprise, surprise) and excellent around the net. Pro shot, smart player, has improved his skating, wins puck battles, strong on the cycle.

Future Considerations mentions his skating is still improving (mainly first strides need work), praises his shot and puck protection, and has his NHL potential as top 9 physical power winger.

Pronman notes that he has a strong hockey IQ but needs to stay away from taking bad penalties. Has the chance to be a scoring, physical winger if he pans out.

Seems like he may not have a high end ceiling but is a "safer" bet to become a NHL player than some of the more highly touted guys. I'd be happy if the Devils could get him.

I'd be happy with him, but I kind of like the idea of going for broke with a boom or bust kind of player like Anton Karlsson or even Deangelo, but maybe at 41. You obviously would rather have someone who turns into a third or forth liner above someone who never makes it, but it just seems like we enough prospects who fit that kind of role.

Edit: although the idea of having Matteau and Lemieux on a line together is very intriguing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel, 08 June 2014 - 03:04 PM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#144 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:18 PM

Lemieux sounds very much like Matteau.  I wouldn't be against it though even if they play the same style.  Guys that play that style can succeed in the NHL and are a necessity in the NHL size rink and especially with the kind of game you see in the playoffs.

I'd be intrigued what our scouts think of him.  He could be available too down at 41. 

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#145 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,671 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

I like DeAngelo, we obviously have enough defense but I think he has the talent to go in Round 1

I'm not opposed to taking D early since most of the Devils D prospects will be pro next year. In my opinion, I think I'd rather go with a D prospect like Julius Honka (WHL - Swift Current) over DeAngelo based on what I've read from a lot of the draft publications.

Both guys are RD and listed at 5'11 with Honka having a slight weight advantage. Both with high offensive skill. Hockey Prospect has Honka ranked 23rd with DeAngelo 34th. Future Considerations has Honka ranked 31st with DeAngelo 29th. Pronman has Honka ranked 29th with DeAngelo 37th. Based off everything I've read, Honka seems better defensively and doesn't have as many holes in his game as DeAngelo who really seems boom or bust.

Hockey Prospect on Honka: 2 way D, tremendous skating, elite hockey sense, moves the puck quickly and accurately, great mobility, calm under pressure.

Edited by thefiestygoat, 08 June 2014 - 03:21 PM.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#146 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:26 PM

thanks for the info/article on little Pepe

I'd rather have him on our team than have to play against him!

we'll see

Edited by The 29th Pick, 08 June 2014 - 03:27 PM.

#147 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,671 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:29 PM

I'd be happy with him, but I kind of like the idea of going for broke with a boom or bust kind of player like Anton Karlsson or even Deangelo, but maybe at 41. You obviously would rather have someone who turns into a third or forth liner above someone who never makes it, but it just seems like we enough prospects who fit that kind of role.

Edit: although the idea of having Matteau and Lemieux on a line together is very intriguing.

Fair point and I definitely agree they need to go for some skill/upside guys but I still think the Devils could have a shot at a one at 41 even if they took Lemieux at 30. Hard to get a read on who will get drafted where but it seems like skilled guys such as Goldobin, Point, Ho-Sang to name a few could fall.

#148 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:35 PM

I totally agree.  I don't know if you could write a better story with the young Matteau and young Lemieux ending up on the same team.  I like the idea of picking up Lemieux, so I think he's on my shortlist too right now.  The report I read on NHL.com said he's a finisher, and we could use one of those.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#149 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,763 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:54 PM

If we draft Lemieux then Gelinas needs to give him his number.

#150 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:51 PM

I'm not opposed to taking D early since most of the Devils D prospects will be pro next year. In my opinion, I think I'd rather go with a D prospect like Julius Honka (WHL - Swift Current) over DeAngelo based on what I've read from a lot of the draft publications.

Both guys are RD and listed at 5'11 with Honka having a slight weight advantage. Both with high offensive skill. Hockey Prospect has Honka ranked 23rd with DeAngelo 34th. Future Considerations has Honka ranked 31st with DeAngelo 29th. Pronman has Honka ranked 29th with DeAngelo 37th. Based off everything I've read, Honka seems better defensively and doesn't have as many holes in his game as DeAngelo who really seems boom or bust.

Hockey Prospect on Honka: 2 way D, tremendous skating, elite hockey sense, moves the puck quickly and accurately, great mobility, calm under pressure.

I have a feelin Honka/McKeon/Deangelo will be gone by 30 .  Wonder how high scouting has Dougherty & Glover? 

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#151 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,613 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:47 PM

I have a feelin Honka/McKeon/Deangelo will be gone by 30 .  Wonder how high scouting has Dougherty & Glover? 

While I generally agree that best player available is the way to go, I think it has to be best available forward, unless Lou plans on trading a few of the young defensemen in the future.  We have a ton of defensive prospects that all stand at least a better than 50/50 chance of being longterm NHLers, and relatively soon at that to the extent that they already haven't firmly established themselves in the NHL (Merrill, and arguably Larsson and Gelinas).  We really don't need anymore.

The only exception I would make is for Deangelo.  He has a unique skill set, and could pay major dividends.  Still given the bust risk, I would probably take my chances and wait until 41 to see if he's still available.

Otherwise, I'm very much warming to the idea of taking Brendan Lemieux at 30 if he's available.  While I am not a talent evaluator, he seems like another one of those guys you can count on to be a regular NHLer in a few years time, albeit perhaps a somewhat underwhelming one.  However, I can imagine a line that includes Matteau and Lemieux will drive other teams absolutely bonkers. 

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#152 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

Brendan Lemieux on being drafted:

he was asked:

What about the Devils, who own the No. 30 pick in the first round?

"I'd love to play anywhere my dad played, but New Jersey is special," Brendan said. "He won an MVP [Conn Smythe Trophy] there and two Cups."

#153 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

he was asked:

"I'd love to play anywhere my dad played, but New Jersey is special," Brendan said. "He won an MVP [Conn Smythe Trophy] there and two Cups."

he was asked:

I want em.  Want em bad.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#154 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,763 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:32 PM

When is he predicted to go?

#155 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,613 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:43 PM

When is he predicted to go?

Late first round/early second.  Some mocks have Colorado selecting him.

Posted Image

#156 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:56 PM

I want em. Want em bad.

Me too. We don't have much in the way of gritty guys that can chip in offensively outside of Clowe or that's a true pest like Clarkson sometimes was. I think he'd be a good pick for us. Hopefully nostalgia isn't blinding me, but I'm sure it isn't blinding the scouts and Conte who are very disciplined on taking the bpa.

#157 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 29,003 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

Late first round/early second.  Some mocks have Colorado selecting him.

No disrespect to Brandon, but an NHL mock draft is merely an interesting exercise past around #15.  Once you get past the guys that everyone values about the same, values change wildly - there's always guys picked early who are ranked low-ish by CSB and people ranked high who get picked low.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#158 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,613 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:08 PM

No disrespect to Brandon, but an NHL mock draft is merely an interesting exercise past around #15. Once you get past the guys that everyone values about the same, values change wildly - there's always guys picked early who are ranked low-ish by CSB and people ranked high who get picked low.

The guy asked where Lemieux was predicted to go. I said mocks (that aren't coming from musings on HF Boards) had him as a late first early second. No one said there's any science to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image

#159 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,144 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:08 PM

I'd love the story of getting a guy like Lemieux with the pedigree he has. If he can be productive and be the little sh!t like this his dad was, I'd love to think 4 years from now of having Matteau and Lemieux running around out there.

#160 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,613 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:36 PM

I'd love the story of getting a guy like Lemieux with the pedigree he has. If he can be productive and be the little sh!t like this his dad was, I'd love to think 4 years from now of having Matteau and Lemieux running around out there.

Then imagine if Ben Thomson actually turns into something more than just a goon, and plays on line with Matteau and Lemieux.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel, 17 June 2014 - 08:38 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users