551 replies to this topic

#161 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:36 AM

I don't know much about Lemieux, but he seems like a similar player to Matteau, no? Not that that's a bad thing late in the draft.

#162 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,410 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:27 AM

I just read part of the story about the Blues not participating in the 1983 draft, which was, shall we say a little bit better than the 1996 one.  Fascinating story.

http://www.stlouisga...blues-the-story

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#163 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,077 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:50 AM

I just read part of the story about the Blues not participating in the 1983 draft, which was, shall we say a little bit better than the 1996 one.  Fascinating story.

http://www.stlouisga...blues-the-story

Interesting and imagine if they did fold or relocate.  I think Ramage demanded to be traded to St. Louis because he didn't want to play in NJ when the Rockies moved to NJ.  If the sale to Ornest didn't happen then he would have ended up in Saskatoon, which I doubt at the time was seen as a better location than even NJ.

#164 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:27 PM

Bob McKenzie's full Top 60 right here: http://www.tsn.ca/dr...ature/?id=95289

Interesting to me some of the players he has ranked lower (Goldobin at 37, Kamenev at 43, Point at 58), gives me hope that we may get even two guys that I actually really like.

I like the description for Brendan Lemieux, and he's ranked at 33, could be a Devil ?

"Brendan intitates and makes life most uncomfortable for those opponents who get in the way of where he wants to go. Powerful player who is productive at critical times and just won't allow himself to be denied"

Edited by The 29th Pick, 23 June 2014 - 08:59 PM.

#165 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,604 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:32 PM

I would be happy to select Point at 30 but I wouldn't mind taking a gamble on hoping he slides to 41 due to his size. I would be thrilled if the Devils landed 2 of Point, Bleackley, Schmaltz, Goldobin, or Ho-Sang with their first 2 picks. I'd even throw Lemieux into that mix.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#166 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:34 PM

I know everyone wants a forward but I'm intrigued by the tall Swedish defenseman Marcus Petterson. He sounds like he just needs a few summers locked in a weight room to become a good 2nd pairing defenseman. According to the hockey news, he played this year at 6'-3" 161 lbs.

#167 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:42 PM

I know everyone wants a forward but I'm intrigued by the tall Swedish defenseman Marcus Petterson. He sounds like he just needs a few summers locked in a weight room to become a good 2nd pairing defenseman. According to the hockey news, he played this year at 6'-3" 161 lbs.

We already have a Swedish Great White Hope

#168 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,353 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:43 PM

I like the description for Brendan Lemieux, and he's ranked at 33, could be a Devil ?

"Brendan intitates and makes life most uncomfortable for those opponents who get in the way of where he wants to go. Powerful player who is productive at critical times and just won't allow himself to be denied"

It sounds like his old man taught him well. That description fit Pep to a T.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#169 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:37 AM

It sounds like his old man taught him well. That description fit Pep to a T.

People even call him Pepe like his dad.  I'm stoked.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#170 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:10 AM

I would be happy to select Point at 30 but I wouldn't mind taking a gamble on hoping he slides to 41 due to his size. I would be thrilled if the Devils landed 2 of Point, Bleackley, Schmaltz, Goldobin, or Ho-Sang with their first 2 picks. I'd even throw Lemieux into that mix.

This would be awesome. I'm also beginning to warm to Ruskies as well.You know David Conte reads this stuff. 

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#171 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,735 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:30 PM

Interesting read on prospect Joshua Ho-Sang.

I asked a chief scout with a late pick in the first round whether he would select Ho-Sang if he was available, and without hesitating, he answered no.

When I asked why, he said there are certain criteria his organization values, “and if I picked him, my scouts would all revolt. He doesn’t fit what we’re looking for.”

Said Ho-Sang, in a lengthy interview: “If I was a general manager and had first pick in the draft, I’d pick me No. 1 ... In three years, I’ll be the best player in this draft. And I have no doubt about that. I know myself. I know the other players. I believe in my ability. There are guys ranked ahead of me who are nowhere near me.

“I’m not concerned about the draft (and where I’m picked). I know what’s being said out there. I know people’s skepticism. I’m prepared for that.”

http://www.torontosu...-joshua-ho-sang

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#172 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,604 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:47 PM

Ho-Sang seems like one of those guys that is universally hated based on what comes out in the media despite having a lot of skill. 3 of the quotes on him from NHL scouts in the Hockey Prospect Black Book are really damning. There are other players I like over him for 30 and 41 but I wouldn't complain if the Devils got him. Pronman has him ranked 20th, Hockey Prospect at 61st, and Future Considerations at 20th. If he somehow lasted until 71 that would be amazing. Doubt it happens though.

Ho-Sang put up some great numbers this year: 67 GP 32-53-85 with a great 80.6% point share.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#173 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,410 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:53 PM

Ho-Sang seems like one of those guys that is universally hated based on what comes out in the media despite having a lot of skill. 3 of the quotes on him from NHL scouts in the Hockey Prospect Black Book are really damning. There are other players I like over him for 30 and 41 but I wouldn't complain if the Devils got him. Pronman has him ranked 20th, Hockey Prospect at 61st, and Future Considerations at 20th. If he somehow lasted until 71 that would be amazing. Doubt it happens though.

Ho-Sang put up some great numbers this year: 67 GP 32-53-85 with a great 80.6% point share.

It reminds me a bit of what happened to Brandon Saad, but Ho-Sang appears to be a lot more polarizing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#174 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,735 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:53 PM

He has all the qualities many scouts and teams are scared of, but he's just a teenager. He made quite a few good points in the interview, but these old white guys don't want to have him pull out the race card (even if there might be some truth to it).

He thinks a little too highly of his own game, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing either...but it could be. The NHL could definitely use guys like Josh Ho-Sang -- the kind of players that are celebrated in many other sports but frowned upon in the NHL and MLB.

Edited by devilsrule33, 24 June 2014 - 09:09 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#175 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:28 PM

Wow, it's not everyday you have a young hockey player like that.  I'd take a chance on the kid, but I don't know if Lou would.  He understands the hockey world, but still has a great love for the game.  I need to look up some of his video now and see if he walks the walk.  You can't help but love that kind of drive in a young player.  To me, it's promising when a young player has the drive and wants to be the best player on the ice every single shift. 

#176 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:21 PM

Interesting read on prospect Joshua Ho-Sang.

http://www.torontosu...-joshua-ho-sang

I don't know. This all sounds par for the course. I'm sure many in the draft if asked would say they should be drafted number 1 overall. It would actually sound strange to hear a player say that so and so should be picked number 1.

#177 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:31 AM

Josh Ho-Sang has that personality that i've seen in interviews that makes me feel like i'm going to hate him when he comes to the NHL, I really don't like players that have that sort of cockiness, it's why I don't like Subban

Liking a player and him coming to your team and contributing at a high level are two different things.  Would I take Subban, P. Kane, or E. Kane if I had the option? hell yeah.

#178 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:58 AM

I've been rummaging through a lot of scouts or other avid juniors follower who have seen Ho Sang and there isn't much positive to make me think we should take him.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#179 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:10 AM

The kid sounds like a cocky sh!t, but I LOVE IT. Fans are so wrapped up in our little hockey world that we forget he's a teenager. It's nothing the Devils can't fix. After all is said and done, I can't see him sliding up to 41, but I'd be thrilled if we grabbed him then. I may even be thrilled if we grabbed him at 30 honestly. Maybe he says things the wrong way but what he says makes sense. He'll really benefit by getting out of Canada and into a place as diverse as New Jersey/New York metro area. Hell, our captain is mixed race.

Onto the hockey end of things, what he also says is correct: imagine if he had some of the linemates that some of the more highly ranked prospects had? Sure, he comes off a bit cocky, but a lot of what he says is spot-on, and cockiness can be tamed and channeled in the right way.

I've been rummaging through a lot of scouts or other avid juniors follower who have seen Ho Sang and there isn't much positive to make me think we should take him.

The first thing I've seen most scouts say is that he may be one of the most highly skilled players this draft. It's his personality they can't seem to get past.

Edited by DJ Eco, 25 June 2014 - 09:09 AM.

#180 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:12 AM

if he's athletic and aggressive, i don't see why he wouldn't be a good risk.  as 'Fiesty said, Pronman and Future Considerations both have the kid ranked 20th.  if he slides to maybe our 2nd rounder, id say go for it.

theres a risk he could be annoying to teammates, but that risk can be solved and its also countered by the energy that type of player can bring on the ice

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users