#1 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:38 PM

Off season why not?

Just rewatched Goon and I probably loved it more this time around. So I'd say that but to be fair I was never too high on Slapshot. Yeah some nice quotes (mainly Hason brothers stuff) but I never thought it was got bustin and it still pisses me off how people corrput the concept of Old Tyme hockey into gooning it up instead of playing the fvcking game

#2 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:13 AM

Again!.....again....again.....again.....again....

believe-zubrus.jpg

#3 Lemieux16

Lemieux16

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:16 AM

Quack! Quack! Quack!

#4 newjerseydamo

newjerseydamo

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:42 AM

My go-to movie is Miracle, however I love Goon. It's the perfect amount of heart, comedy, and hockey.

I have a lot of the hockey movies on tap to watch. Slapshot every now and again for nostalgia, I've watched Mystery Alaska, Sudden Death, The Mighty Ducks.

But yeah, Miracle and Goon.

"Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to none." "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
jerseys3.png

#5 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,267 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:24 AM

I don't see how anything can ever top Slap Shot. Miracle is my 2nd favorite but it still doesn't come close to Slap Shot at all on my list. Slap Shot is in a league of its own.

Honestly, if Goon didn't have Stifler Seann William Scott in it, I wouldn't think much of it. Yeah, funny late night movie to have a few laughs at while killing time but it can't compare to Slap Shot in my opinion.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#6 Devs3cups

Devs3cups

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:52 AM

Slap Shot is just too good haha!

The Rocket was pretty good also!

Edited by Devs3cups, 04 September 2013 - 09:57 PM.

n2eg.jpg 

"BELIEVE in our team. We've had difficult momments as a fanbase, but we will get out of it"

#7 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,506 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:08 AM

Goon was OK...very clearly an homage to the Flyers.

Slap Shot is a bit dated now...should probably be called Snap Shot, in that it captures what 70s-era hockey was like at times...pure and raw madness and lawlessness...and is a real window into what that era was like overall...it seems like everything had such an ugly look to it back then, as someone who was born in 1970, I can tell you that it really was like that.  I still like Slap Shot, but I think most people under 30 will find it a relic. 

Miracle is pretty by-the-numbers, but also very competent and really does a great job telling a great story. 

I'd say Slap Shot is probably still my fave after all these years...there's just something about it.  Paul Newman has admitted that of all the movies he ever acted in, this one was the most fun.  I believe him.  

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#8 peteyvegas51

peteyvegas51

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:07 AM

I saw a movie some 35 or so years ago called that deadly season or the deadly season, where there was a story about a pro hockey player and a folk singer.  I vaguely remember it but I do remember that Derek Sanderson was in it.  Wish I could remember more.  Other than that, Miracle and Mystery were my favorite.

#9 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:27 AM

Never got the "Slapshot" love, either.  Sure, the Hanson Brothers are great, but I thought the movie as a whole was pretty dull.

Anyway, I'm casting my vote for "MVP:  Most Valuable Primate."

Hockey and monkeys?

Total win, baby.

"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#10 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:50 AM

Piss on Eddie Shore!!

Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#11 skeeter

skeeter

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:23 AM

Never got the "Slapshot" love, either.  Sure, the Hanson Brothers are great, but I thought the movie as a whole was pretty dull.

Anyway, I'm casting my vote for "MVP:  Most Valuable Primate."

Hockey and monkeys?

Total win, baby.

That monkey performed during the intermission at a game in the Meadowlands in 2000. He skated around on the ice and shot the puck a few times.

As for me, Mystery Alaska.
gallery_47_36_882.png
Keeper of Mike Miller's cracking voice
Keeper of Claude the trumpet guy
Keeper of Slapshot the fondlin' mascot

#12 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:32 AM

Old time hockey!

Slap Shot

Youngblood

Miracle on Ice (the original with Steve Guttenburg)

Mighty Ducks

Miracle

Goon

Mystery Alaska

#13 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

Slap Shot, Miracle, Youngblood, Goon, Mystery Alaska.

And Sudden Death for the absurdity of it all. I mean a fight scene with the Penguins mascot?!? Classic.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#14 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

Slap Shot.  It just is.  At the risk of being offensive I do sort of think it sounds like you missed the point of the movie, roomy.  It's foul - but it's got it all, taking no stand, showing all sides.  :noclue:

I wanted more from Mystery Alaska - it was a miss for me - a mere glancing blow - but enough to throw it off for me.

Edited by Pepperkorn, 04 September 2013 - 10:05 AM.

I'm here for the party

#15 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

That monkey performed during the intermission at a game in the Meadowlands in 2000. He skated around on the ice and shot the puck a few times.

Are you sure it wasn't just Lyle Odelein?

"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#16 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

Slap Shot, Miracle, Youngblood, Goon, Mystery Alaska.

And Sudden Death for the absurdity of it all. I mean a fight scene with the Penguins mascot?!? Classic.

+1 for Sudden Death! That movie had it all. Fight scene with a Penguins mascot, Mike Lange cursing, Luc Robitaille's Oscar-worthy performance, fake Ron Francis's kickin' mustache ... the list goes on and on.

Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#17 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:14 AM

Slap Shot.  It just is.  At the risk of being offensive I do sort of think it sounds like you missed the point of the movie, roomy.  It's foul - but it's got it all, taking no stand, showing all sides.  :noclue:

I wanted more from Mystery Alaska - it was a miss for me - a mere glancing blow - but enough to throw it off for me.

I agree. I think ya missed what the movie was going for.

Slapshot is the only choice here. Nothing else comes remotely close. Goon has Sean William Scott and ipso facto cannot be a quality film. Miracle is ok, but all they had to do was not screw that movie up, the story is too easy. Mighty Ducks is great for nostalgia for us 90s kids, but I'm not about to say they're great films.

Slapshot has it all. It's a slice of life of a minor league hockey team. Add in Paul Newman and it's a classic. I never saw the film as perverting "old tyme hockey" as gooning it up. The end of the film is what that's about. Ned skates naked because the game has become a sideshow circus and his naked parade isn't out of place at that point. At least that's how I saw it.

#18 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,499 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:18 AM

Has to be The Cutting Edge. :lol:
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#19 Steadevils

Steadevils

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:16 PM

Gotta be Airborne, which also happens to be the best rollerblading movie ever.

"I realized from Day 1 the way I played I'd never be a Gretzky or a Lemieux, well, a Mario I mean. I was never going to be a player to get standing ovations in a visitors' building."

-- Claude Lemieux - May 7, 1999

#20 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:40 PM

What, no love for the Tooth Fairy?

The Love Guru?

Do you people even KNOW cinema?!

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users