• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,624 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:47 PM

In my opinion, good for them. I got my good feeling when he "retired" from hockey. Otherwise, genuinely happy that he's able to move forward in his life and maybe not be such a prick, since he's no longer hiding in the closet...

Ding ding ding!  Sean Avery may be one of the biggest jerks to ever play the game -- and one wonders how much of that has to do with the psychological pressures of being a closeted gay man in a culture that stereotypically has a problem with homosexuality -- but I truly hope he is finally comfortable in his own skin and has found (or will find) the happiness that has apparently eluded him for a good portion of his life.

Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#42 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,303 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

I get the Seinfeld reference, but if there truly is nothing wrong with it, why are you laughing your head off?

I really do think nothing is wrong with him being gay. Doesn't affect me in any way.

I was laughing at how most rags fans would vehemently deny him being gay despite the ongoing rumors. Now they have egg on their faces. The other part is that they have for years gone after brodeurs personal life which is really no ones business, now this comes out about Avery which is also no ones business and hopefully they will now shut up about brodeur.

Basically I am just happy as this may finally shut rags fans traps about our players personal lives.

#43 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,048 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:03 PM

Thank god that camps open next week.

#44 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

Avery' gay. Who gives a sh!t. He's still an arsehole and him being gay or not has nothing to do with that.

Edited by CarpathianForest, 06 September 2013 - 06:56 PM.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#45 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

About his and anyone else's sexuality, I couldn't care less.  There's straight people, bisexual people and gay people.  Always has been, always will be, and the latter two are never going away.  Not sure why anyone would feel the need to judge someone else's lifestyle/preference/whatever you want to call it as "wrong".   

Obviously, there's still a long way to go, in terms of people simply not getting caught up in other people's sexuality, but at least now there's some degree of acceptance/tolerance going.  Would much rather see gay people being able to live their lives as openly as possible, as opposed to not being true to themselves and faking it by marrying someone of the opposite sex just to appease those around them, or simply feeling that they can't or shouldn't ever act on their true preference. 

Gay, straight, doesn't matter to me- I still hate that motherfvcker.

Actually, that couldn't be any MORE childish.  If the first -- or only -- thing you think of when the topic of gay men comes up is "two dudes going at it", THAT is childish.  Get your mind out of the damn gutter.  Do you automatically think of sex when somebody mentions lesbians or even straight couples?  And even if you don't think that said reaction is childish, it definitely IS childish to then announce that reaction to the world.

Some combination of all of the above captures my feelings on the subject. I wish we were at a point where we could hate Avery in peace without giving a sh!t about his sexuality. 

Edited by mouse, 06 September 2013 - 07:16 PM.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#46 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,720 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

The problem with this is it's too bad that it has to be Avery who winds up being the first.   You'd sorta rather the first 'openly gay' - if he even chooses to come out formally - pro hockey player be someone that isn't already universally disliked (and one that actually is you know, going to HAVE an NHL career after too).

Edited by NJDevs4978, 06 September 2013 - 08:32 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#47 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,144 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:59 PM

I have an uncle whom I love very much. He has a husband, I very much enjoy having him around as well. I find homosexuality rather odd-- I don't enjoy seeing it, talking about it, or hearig about it. To me, it's like watching animals have sex - it happens, I'm not trying to stop it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't churn my stomach.

I think political correctness is horsesh!t. If they are allowed to parade to celebrate their homosexuality, why aren't I allowed to post on an online forum that I find it yucky?

I'm not saying I'm against it. I'm all for gay rights, and even as a relatively devout Christian I find it horrific when people misquote the bible to damn them all to hell. But why am I not allowed to voice my opinion?

Edited by Martyisth3b3st, 06 September 2013 - 10:01 PM.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#48 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:53 PM

Actually, that couldn't be any MORE childish. If the first -- or only -- thing you think of when the topic of gay men comes up is "two dudes going at it", THAT is childish. Get your mind out of the damn gutter. Do you automatically think of sex when somebody mentions lesbians or even straight couples? And even if you don't think that said reaction is childish, it definitely IS childish to then announce that reaction to the world.

......yes when gay, lesbian or straight is brought up I do think about sex because that's a SEXUAL preference meaning that person likes having sex with a man, woman, or opposite sex..... I need to clock out on this subject because the over the top political correctness is going to drive me insane. Carlin was right years ago, its the pussification of america and nowadays its at a disgusting extreme. Anytime a gay, racial, or religious joke is made its a crime against humanity. STOP IT. Lol god I miss the days of chappelle show and tough crowd when people could laugh at one another and not get sand in their vageen. Sean avery is gayer than a pink tennis helmet. Its hysterical. Next subject.

#49 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:05 PM

I have an uncle whom I love very much. He has a husband, I very much enjoy having him around as well. I find homosexuality rather odd-- I don't enjoy seeing it, talking about it, or hearig about it. To me, it's like watching animals have sex - it happens, I'm not trying to stop it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't churn my stomach.

I think political correctness is horsesh!t. If they are allowed to parade to celebrate their homosexuality, why aren't I allowed to post on an online forum that I find it yucky?

I'm not saying I'm against it. I'm all for gay rights, and even as a relatively devout Christian I find it horrific when people misquote the bible to damn them all to hell. But why am I not allowed to voice my opinion?

Exactly!!!! Its at the point in america now that if you make a racial joke youre a terrible biggot. If you make a gay joke youre a homophob. If you make a religious joke youre a disrespectful piece of sh!t. Political correctness makes me what to puke. No one can have their balls broken anymore. THATS whats childish, that people cant take jokes anymore. They take edgy jokes like a 3rd grader takes a yomamma joke.

#50 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:17 PM

Why should anyone have to "come out"?  Why can't people just live their lives without having to make a big old production out of it?

You are right. I wasn't clear. I just don't think from the article, it was clear that he was admitting he was gay or that there was proof that he was. I mean that might have been his statement without making a big production about it. Hard to tell for sure, but I bet he is in a good place now, and that's good. He had a ton of issues playing in the NHL. There was a good chance it had t do with this.

As for the person bringing up the Rangers and Brodeur crap. Everyone has the right to bring up Brodeur's adultery. He's a professional athlete, and it comes with the territory. You don't want this sh!t on you, don't do the act. Not like the Devils fan base is any better and wouldn't attack another star player for a similar indiscretion. I don't know why any Devils fan needs to defend Brodeur, the person. No one really knows him. Defend the goalie all you want. 

Edited by devilsrule33, 06 September 2013 - 11:27 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#51 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:26 PM

He still got to bone Elisha Cuthbert...

#52 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:52 PM

I'm opposed to a lot of political correctness, but I think the issue (at least mine) is that minorities in this country, especially the queer community, face horrific discrimination, and too often nothing is done about it. You posting your opinion on a message board is harmless, but lots of others take that opinion to the next level (as you mentioned here), and act on it. I personally feel the need to speak up to defend those who are more likely to be victims than me. If that means I'm oversensitive, then so be it.

Also, there's a big difference between making a joke about Avery (who was a joke for years), and making a tasteless blanket statement about an entire group of people. I'm not calling you out at all -- I think everything you have said has been fair -- but other people on this thread have gone farther than you, and people in the real world are worse. 

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#53 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:56 PM

Exactly!!!! Its at the point in america now that if you make a racial joke youre a terrible biggot. If you make a gay joke youre a homophob. If you make a religious joke youre a disrespectful piece of sh!t. Political correctness makes me what to puke. No one can have their balls broken anymore. THATS whats childish, that people cant take jokes anymore. They take edgy jokes like a 3rd grader takes a yomamma joke.

When queer kids stop committing suicide, it will be fine to tell whatever jokes you want. There's also a huge difference between public and private. I have given my gay friends sh!t plenty of times. We all know it's harmless. That doesn't mean I'm going to make a crack with no context for all the world to see, since most queer people are subject to any number of mean spirited comments that are in no way jokes. It's a lot easier to have a sense of humor when you don't have to worry about being abused for something you have no control over.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#54 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:01 AM

......yes when gay, lesbian or straight is brought up I do think about sex because that's a SEXUAL preference meaning that person likes having sex with a man, woman, or opposite sex..... 

Except sex was not brought up. Sexual preference is not sex, unless you think every couple in the world is having sex. When I see a couple, I am not disgusted, because I don't automatically think to myself I wonder what they do to each other in their bedroom. When I see a straight couple PDA I am uncomfortable, just like when I see a queer couple PDA, and I'd be pretty disgusted if most of the couples I have come into contact with began to bone in public.

Many people, however, can't seem to give queer couples privacy. They immediately begin thinking of things that should stay in the fvcking bedroom, yet they give straight couples all the privacy in the world. Not to get ridiculously personal, but as a straight male, I am attracted to straight sex, and not gay sex, but I can look at both straight and gay couples living their lives and not care what they do in their bedrooms, and I'm not going to bring up what I think they might do in their bedrooms in a public forum.

And as for Avery, obsessing over his sexuality detracts from the real reasons we hate him (he was an annoying little gnat who did d!ck things on the ice and didn't have the balls to fight). It also unfairly draws attention to his personal life, especially when we try to connect his on ice behavior with something we may or may not know about his sexuality.

Edited by mouse, 07 September 2013 - 12:03 AM.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#55 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:23 AM

Ugh do I HATE this PC nonsense.  

Hating Avery has nothing to do with his apparent homosexuality, nor should it (his sexual preference) require me to suddenly respect him as an individual.

Edit:  I had a whole rant about PC-ness posted, but it's probably not a good idea to post it right now.  Just not worth getting into.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 07 September 2013 - 12:23 AM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#56 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:40 AM

My fiancee's reaction (Ranger fan, her only major character flaw): "maybe this explains all his anger issues"

Posted Image

#57 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:17 AM

When queer kids stop committing suicide, it will be fine to tell whatever jokes you want. There's also a huge difference between public and private. I have given my gay friends sh!t plenty of times. We all know it's harmless. That doesn't mean I'm going to make a crack with no context for all the world to see, since most queer people are subject to any number of mean spirited comments that are in no way jokes. It's a lot easier to have a sense of humor when you don't have to worry about being abused for something you have no control over.

Okay so humor just isn't your thing then. Fair enough.

I can get ginea, wop and dago jokes said to me or white jokes said to me and piss myself because they're FUNNY. I have no control over that but im not gunna be a sensitive sally. Making edgy jokes doesnt mean you want people to commit suicide or go commit hate crime, they're just funny.

#58 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,390 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:16 AM

Many people, however, can't seem to give queer couples privacy. They immediately begin thinking of things that should stay in the fvcking bedroom, yet they give straight couples all the privacy in the world. Not to get ridiculously personal, but as a straight male, I am attracted to straight sex, and not gay sex, but I can look at both straight and gay couples living their lives and not care what they do in their bedrooms, and I'm not going to bring up what I think they might do in their bedrooms in a public forum.

The problem is that straight people don't live their lives flaunting their sexual preference. A good portion of that community does......and someone like Avery doesn't do that, but that was because he is ashamed of it..............but that worm is starting to turn.

I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#59 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,624 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:33 AM

I really do think nothing is wrong with him being gay. Doesn't affect me in any way.

I was laughing at how most rags fans would vehemently deny him being gay despite the ongoing rumors. Now they have egg on their faces. The other part is that they have for years gone after brodeurs personal life which is really no ones business, now this comes out about Avery which is also no ones business and hopefully they will now shut up about brodeur.

Basically I am just happy as this may finally shut rags fans traps about our players personal lives.

Gotcha.  Thanks for the clarification.  And I agree 100%.

Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#60 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

The problem is that straight people don't live their lives flaunting their sexual preference. A good portion of that community does......and someone like Avery doesn't do that, but that was because he is ashamed of it..............but that worm is starting to turn.

Yikes, this sounds way reactionary.  First off, how do you know if Avery was hiding his alleged gayness (it's still not 100% concluded that he truly is) because he was "ashamed"?  Maybe there were other reasons.

Define a "good portion".  It's probably a much smaller amount than you think, in relation to the gay population...it's just that that crowd's flamboyance has a way of drawing attention to itself, at the expense of all of the gay people who really aren't much different than you or me...people who simply wish to live their lives, where their sexuality is merely a part of their existence, and far from being the primary focus. 

Sorry, gay people aren't going to be gay on your terms.  As for those who do insist on flaunting their gayness...why should you care, unless you feel threatened by it somehow?  How is it affecting you exactly? 

Ever hear the saying "get a room"?  You know, when two straight people are overdoing it in a movie theater, in a club, in any number of public settings, so much that it's clearly making people around them uncomfortable?  Isn't that a form of "flaunting" their straightness?   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 07 September 2013 - 09:40 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users