247 replies to this topic

#241 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,721 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:14 AM

Personally I think rookies add to the unpredictability of the main draft and would rather it not be a seperate no-risk entity.

Nice that A-Rod decided to come back this week...oh wait :lol:
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#242 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:32 AM

Personally I think rookies add to the unpredictability of the main draft and would rather it not be a seperate no-risk entity.

But it also adds to the longevity which I like better.   Reverse snaking the draft would allow for some parity in it too.  So if you are at #12; you'll get the top rookie of your choice, etc.    Which could be awesome if you have a first round stud your keeping, and could sneak into the #12 spot.   (a lot of luck involved for the 'worst' case exploitation).

I think you'll still see a run on rookies because of the keeper aspect; but it would stabilize rounds 3/4 etc I'd imagine; especially the first year when we all need to pick.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#243 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

would there still be the regular keeper as well??

In my proposal; yes.   Keepers would be unchanged, but we would introduce a 1 round rookie draft, which would precede the regular 15 round draft.    So our rosters would bump up to 16.    
Later on (after the draft completes), if you want to drop your rookie for a kicker... more power to you...  but I think most would keep the rookie for his keepers value...  obviously, those on the tail end of the rookie draft may have busts...

image-300x225.jpg

| 2014 Season | 

#244 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,721 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:47 PM

And at what point would we have to decide to keep the rookie before the draft? If it was in place this year and I took say EJManuel (or some other iffier call) I might want to see where I'd be slotted in the rookie draft next year before deciding to keep him or not.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#245 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,721 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

Oh and what happens if some rookie goes undrafted but bubbles up during the year and you pick him up during the season. Shouldn't you have the option to use that player as your rookie keeper?

Or for that matter say someone dropped their rookie pick and you pick that player up?

Edited by NJDevs4978, 27 December 2013 - 01:08 PM.

#246 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:43 PM

And at what point would we have to decide to keep the rookie before the draft? If it was in place this year and I took say EJManuel (or some other iffier call) I might want to see where I'd be slotted in the rookie draft next year before deciding to keep him or not.

Oh and what happens if some rookie goes undrafted but bubbles up during the year and you pick him up during the season. Shouldn't you have the option to use that player as your rookie keeper?

Or for that matter say someone dropped their rookie pick and you pick that player up?

Again, only a proposal...  but I envision we would pick draft order first.  Once that is set, that sets the rookie draft order  (inverse of round 1).

If a rookie goes undrafted, he is no longer a 'rookie'... he's a free agent you picked up, and get to keep for a 15th rounder the following year; but not for three.    The rookie keeper, would be only for the rookie you drafted in that round... not all 'rookies',    It rewards scouting and luck related to that pre-season;  but doesn't reward you for three years because you snagged a QB/RB etc first; when the starter they were behind became injured; and they are now the man going forward.

Likewise, if you drop your rookie, he's just a free agent and would follow those rules.  Someone could drop a top round player; but why would they?   And unlike the hockey league, all 12 of us are rather legit and wouldn't sink our teams like that.  In the hockey league, I could see someone new just randomly dropping because someones out a game or two :)

Edited by aylbert, 27 December 2013 - 01:45 PM.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2014 Season | 

#247 VivaLaFlamme

VivaLaFlamme

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 02:27 PM

I dont like the idea, im with Hasan and the whole rookies ad dunpredictability to the main draft. 

However, i dont like the whole keep a rookie for 3 years. If we do go for a rookie round it should be 1 rookie keeper and 1 normal keeper, but make it go with the same rules as a normal keeper

#248 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,721 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:02 PM

I'm not a big fan of having a rookie designation if only twelve guys are going to qualify for it, and not 'all' rookies.  Next year might be one where you have more than twelve offensive rookies contributing too.  At least with the regular keeper everyone qualifies in some way or other.  

The one thing I like is the extra roster spot...fifteen can be a real challenge sometimes between byes/injuries (though conversely the draft will be even more convoluted late...as it is it's hard to find draftable players in the last few rounds, adding another round will just muddle that further, not to mention we'd have to start it even earlier which would annoy CRASHER).  

I don't mind the rookies being kept longer if we were to pass the rule though.  Having a rookie for only one extra year lessens the incentive to keep them on the roster throughout the season, and lessens the impact of having them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users