247 replies to this topic

#21 VivaLaFlamme

VivaLaFlamme

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

I dont think things will change anytime soon (though peyton manning wont throw 7 TDs EVERY week), 10-7 games in the NFL are but mostly a memory anymore. It's alot to do with the stupid rules changes where you pretty much cant touch people or get flagged/fined for it.

#22 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

Agreed...  I'm still very much a fan of running as a fan; but when I played Madden...  passing was the way to go.    Life is now intimidating art now; with Peyton's performance and the Eagles pace in the first half; going for it on 4th down, etc.    When I play Madden now, I still do no huddle most of the time.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#23 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,218 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:17 PM

Scoring seemed ridiculous this week across leagues and formats.

100pts here used to be a solid indication of a win...  not so...

Funny you mention 100 points as a barometer, I was going back through league history during the preseason and looking at point totals in prior years of playoff teams, trying to figure what a good enough benchmark would be.  As a whole playoff teams averaged 101.9 points per game last year (if you add up the six yearly totals, divide by the # of teams - 6, then divide by the # of weeks - 13).  Five years ago playoff teams averaged 89.9 points per game :blink:

See this here is even starting to piss me off in fantasy leagues now....OFFENSE IS TOO GODDAMN EASY now....*sigh*....20 points is becoming standard not the exceptional day....and if you don't have a 40pt QB you're garbage....I can only hope to hell this is just teams shaking off the rust and getting out of pre-season lazy mode....this kinda football isn't as much fun as they bill it to be....

On the one hand...it's still the Peyton/Tom Brady/Rodgers/Brees troika that are putting up the monster days.  You don't see Brandon Weeden throwing for 500 yards and 4 TD's all that often.  Bad QB's are still bad.  In baseball when guys were putting up insane numbers you'd see fluky jumps all over the place.

But yeah just looking at the overall numbers it's insane if you look at the point totals from last year compared to five years ago.

http://football.fant...gue/njdevs/2008

http://football.fant...gue/njdevs/2012

The advent of the running QB is a big part of this too, or rather the new-found specilization of having one.  That's a TON of bonus points that weren't there a few years ago.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 10 September 2013 - 03:22 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#24 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,615 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:27 AM

12 QB's threw over 300 yards this week (the former gold standard for a top game....now it just means an average day), Weedon and Bradford almost did too, not too bad....here's where it gets nuts:

19 players received for 100+ yards and 13 caught multiple TDs....it's the receiving stats that are throwing crap out of whack (esp when you had Reggie Bush)

Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#25 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:47 AM

12 QB's threw over 300 yards this week (the former gold standard for a top game....now it just means an average day), Weedon and Bradford almost did too, not too bad....here's where it gets nuts:

19 players received for 100+ yards and 13 caught multiple TDs....it's the receiving stats that are throwing crap out of whack (esp when you had Reggie Bush)

Agreed; so if passing is becoming too 'easy'... I wouldn't be opposed to scaling back QBs and WRs yardage (while maintaining TD's at 6)... to like 1 per 50, with bonuses at 400yd (QB) / 150 yd (WR).

Obviously I'm not talking about this season.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2014 Season | 

#26 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,015 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

That Vereen inury is a huge bummer. Was looking to have an excellent 1-2 punch, and now I am in huge trouble at the RB position. 

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#27 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,615 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:26 AM

Agreed; so if passing is becoming too 'easy'... I wouldn't be opposed to scaling back QBs and WRs yardage (while maintaining TD's at 6)... to like 1 per 50, with bonuses at 400yd (QB) / 150 yd (WR).

Obviously I'm not talking about this season.

I'm in favor of some bonus tweaking next season.....even if the passing bouns was 350 I'm cool with that

That Vereen inury is a huge bummer. Was looking to have an excellent 1-2 punch, and now I am in huge trouble at the RB position. 

This league more then any other all the average running backs even disappeared FAST in the draft....made it hard to properly stock pile them without hoping on injuries....

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

#28 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,218 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

I'm in favor of some bonus tweaking next season.....even if the passing bouns was 350 I'm cool with that

This league more then any other all the average running backs even disappeared FAST in the draft....made it hard to properly stock pile them without hoping on injuries....

Might be radical but maybe if you took RB out of the Flex and just made it a WR/TE Flex then the RB drafting would be more 'normalized' since you'd only be able to use two starters instead of three.  It's become more of a passing league anyway, might as well be reflected in the number of starters for each position.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 13 September 2013 - 02:47 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#29 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:48 PM

Might be radical but maybe if you took RB out of the Flex and just made it a WR/TE Flex then the RB drafting might be more 'normalized' since you'd only be able to use two starters instead of three.  It's become more of a passing league anyway, might as well be reflected in the number of starters for each position.

But RB's are becoming more and more involved in the passing game.   I'd rather address passing stat treatments, than position; since that's what's driving scoring inflation.    

image-300x225.jpg

| 2014 Season | 

#30 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,218 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:55 PM

But RB's are becoming more and more involved in the passing game.   I'd rather address passing stat treatments, than position; since that's what's driving scoring inflation.    

I was referring more to the part of CRASHER's post about mediocre backs dissapearing in round 4 and 5, which is true and kinda silly.  You have 32 teams but you're not going to have 32 running backs.  So everyone drafts their two starters in the first three rounds generally and then reach for the platoon guys and top backups insanely early because they want a Flex option at RB.

Scoring itself is a seperate debate...I was in favor of ticking passing yardage up to 30 for a point (as opposed to 25) but even that got outvoted so I doubt you'd be able to get something more radical done.  You could always bump passing TD's from 6 down to 4 like in standard leagues but I hate having a TD count for less than six points just because of that.  I don't know what else you can do to reduce QB totals.  I don't know if RB/WR totals are really that high to care.  You don't neccesarily have to have yardage bonuses at all though.

#31 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:13 PM

I was referring more to the part of CRASHER's post about mediocre backs dissapearing in round 4 and 5, which is true and kinda silly.  You have 32 teams but you're not going to have 32 running backs.  So everyone drafts their two starters in the first three rounds generally and then reach for the platoon guys and top backups insanely early because they want a Flex option at RB.

Scoring itself is a seperate debate...I was in favor of ticking passing yardage up to 30 for a point (as opposed to 25) but even that got outvoted so I doubt you'd be able to get something more radical done.  You could always bump passing TD's from 6 down to 4 like in standard leagues but I hate having a TD count for less than six points just because of that.  I don't know what else you can do to reduce QB totals.  I don't know if RB/WR totals are really that high to care.  You don't neccesarily have to have yardage bonuses at all though.

That was Crasher's complaint...  with WR's routinely scoring 20+ now; where that used to be a career day.

If RBs are less valuable than WRs though in performance; then no one should be starting RB's in flex.     But instead, there a finite amount of RBs that do really well; with a steep drop off; it's what makes RBs in high demand.    Ten years ago, the unquestioned draft strategy was RB/RB 1/2.   Now, it's considered a bit outdated, and you see top WR's and even TE's getting in the mix...  

QB's always crept in there, and always will.    I'm a firm believer that if you want a particular QB, you need to go early... or else someone else will.    It's not the best value add, but will get you the desired QB...  this is especially true if you're in the tails and can't respond to runs on positions.

On a competition level, inflation is inflation is inflation.    For historical perspective though, I do prefer keeping the standard win at around 100pts.   In which case I really would like to see bonuses and yardage dropped a bit...  as we are looking at ~115 as the mark you want to hit to feel like you should expect to win.... not guaranteed, but expect to win.  Hell, I scored 132 points, and came in 4th this past week.     But if matches are 130 vs 110   or  100 vs 80; does it really matter inside a season?  No.   Just give me my historical perspective back :)

image-300x225.jpg

| 2014 Season | 

#32 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,218 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

Routinely's a bit strong, you had six WR's score 20+ in Week 1.  A.J.Green, Demariyus Thomas, Cruz, Boldin and Fitzgerald were five of them (Hankerson in garbagetime was the other)...at least you're generally talking elite receivers doing it.  I don't see why elite performances shouldn't be acknowledged, it's not like they're outscoring QB's.  The top WR - Megatron - averaged just a hair above 14 PPG last year and only five guys averaged north of 12 PPG.

You could penalize WR's for drops if the scoring allows for it, it could be a point or two difference most weeks.  And like I said just take away the yardage bonuses if you're that concerned about overall point total...what players get should be what they get, no more no less.  RB's get penalized I believe two points for fumbles lost, you could also penalize a point for just a fumble (one that still gets recovered) to tick that total downward and do away with the yardage bonuses there too.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 13 September 2013 - 03:25 PM.

#33 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,218 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:51 AM

And not for nothing but there's no reason waiver order needs to be totally randomized either, it should start at inverse order of where you draft in the first round (meaning last pick in the first round is first on the waiver claim and vice-versa).  I wouldn't have gotten Jones anyway in all likelihood, but there's no reason red should have been much higher on the waiver list than me either since we both drafted near the top of the first round.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 14 September 2013 - 06:59 AM.

#34 VivaLaFlamme

VivaLaFlamme

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:55 AM

RBs are definitely on the downswing, imo at least. You take away Bushs massive game last week and ive gotten a combined 10 pts form 3 Rbs over 2 weeks and im still 2-0 and am relatively high scoring.

I kind of regret dropping James Jones, but I saw a starting RB get dropped and I panicked especially with how terrible mine have been (and now Bush is hurt to boot :I ). I have depth at WR at least.

#35 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,449 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

Not sure I would make any changes to scoring, everyone knows the point system, just draft to that, instead of chacnging the scoring to how other draft.....

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#36 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,218 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:53 AM

RBs are definitely on the downswing, imo at least. You take away Bushs massive game last week and ive gotten a combined 10 pts form 3 Rbs over 2 weeks and im still 2-0 and am relatively high scoring.

Yeah I'm feeling a little bit better about waiting on my third back right now (still early though), especially since Hillman and Ball are doing a GREAT job of getting Moreno the starting role lol. Even Lawfirm is still a starter though I don't expect that to last.

#37 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

Not sure I would make any changes to scoring, everyone knows the point system, just draft to that, instead of chacnging the scoring to how other draft.....

I agree with that...   I just meant from a historic perspective; I liked seeing 100pts as a benchmark of a good week...     It ultimately doesn't matter.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2014 Season | 

#38 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,615 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

I agree with that...   I just meant from a historic perspective; I liked seeing 100pts as a benchmark of a good week...     It ultimately doesn't matter.

Well it IS like the real NFL now.... 400 is the new 300 yard game....100 catches is almost a WR standard, you expect 2 TDs a week from the QB

....it would be nice to a play against a QB that "only" scores 30 points a week though.....

maybe I'll keep playing El-I-N-T just to bone the Giants....any Giant fans wanna try to save their season and trade me for Eli??? :evil:

#39 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:48 PM

Well it IS like the real NFL now.... 400 is the new 300 yard game....100 catches is almost a WR standard, you expect 2 TDs a week from the QB

....it would be nice to a play against a QB that "only" scores 30 points a week though.....

maybe I'll keep playing El-I-N-T just to bone the Giants....any Giant fans wanna try to save their season and trade me for Eli??? :evil:

Too bad you didn't get me and my 3 pt QB performance...luckily I got a favorable matchup or I might have been in trouble.

VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#40 VivaLaFlamme

VivaLaFlamme

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

really hope  saints go up big on arizona early so i can get rushing yards from pierre thomas since both my starting rbs are either bad or not palying lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users