78 replies to this topic

#21 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,947 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:40 AM

It wasn't so long ago that Jets fans were cheering when Chad Pennington got hurt in a home game (and I don't want to make it sound like only Jet fans would do such a thing, because I remember the Saints fans doing the same to Wade Wilson).  Sadly there are classless fans everywhere. 

Yeah I remember that too...hell there were MORE than enough Jet fans cheering Sanchez's injury in some fashion or another (none that post here though) :P  They deserve to have Geno **** the bed.

I was just surprised the Pat fans were that unknowledgeable that they didn't realize the injury had zero benefit to us because it was fourth down.  I know people have been talking about tactically faking injuries to slow down high-tempo offenses, but who's gonna fake an injury before a punt on fourth down?

Edited by NJDevs4978, 13 September 2013 - 06:44 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#22 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,116 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:51 AM

I go up to Foxborough once or twice a year.  Here's what I can tell you about Pats fans:

1)  They love their booze.  A whole bunch. 

2)  By halfway through the third quarter, a lot of them start to lose their minds. 

And one thing about ALL Boston-area fans:  they are obsessed with NY, and hating all things NY.  Some Red Sox fans are happier hating the Yankees (and even the Mets, due to '86) than rooting for the Sox.  The fans are generally nice to me when I go up there, but when they see the Jersey plates on my car and don't hear a Bah-ston accent when I talk, it's like I have to "earn" their trust initially.  It's a bit of an exclusionary crowd. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#23 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,815 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:47 AM

Indeed, it was ant-football. Crasher nailed it, gotta give him credit.

I gotta point the finger at the NFL a little bit on this one, it's early in the season so both teams still a bit rusty...and now the league forces a short week rivalry game? How exactly is this good for player safety?

And I guarantee that sometime in the next couple of seasons you'll see another mid week game experimented with to see how the ratings do. A Tues or Wed. Probably once the NFL expands to 34

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#24 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,456 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:54 AM

Indeed, it was ant-football. Crasher nailed it, gotta give him credit.

I gotta point the finger at the NFL a little bit on this one, it's early in the season so both teams still a bit rusty...and now the league forces a short week rivalry game? How exactly is this good for player safety?

And I guarantee that sometime in the next couple of seasons you'll see another mid week game experimented with to see how the ratings do. A Tues or Wed. Probably once the NFL expands to 34

It's not....it's actually pretty awful for the league and the product you present....bodies need time to heal from Sunday.....coaches need time to prepare....and obviously from last night, players need reps to learn what's going on out there.....once the rain started I tapped out and went to my DVR....that game was unwatchable, plus they don't amp up the star power for Thursday games

These games would MAYBE work on Fridays, that one day matters (I understand Sat night is college football so that will never happen.....and yes Friday Nights are HS football, but who outside of Texas really gives a damn about that??)

Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#25 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,170 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:00 AM

I don't think we'll see a Tuesday or Wednesday game, that's WAY too soon after Sunday. Players need time to heal. Hell, they don't even begin practicing until Tuesdays. 

Edited by nmigliore, 13 September 2013 - 08:05 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#26 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,815 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

I don't think we'll see a Tuesday or Wednesday game, that's WAY too soon after Sunday. Players need time to heal. Hell, they don't even begin practicing until Tuesdays. 

I'm thinking when two teams are coming off a bye week this could be doable. Especially a Tuesday

anyway. what the NFL really needs is an extra bye week later in the season when injuries start piling up.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#27 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:16 AM

Re the booing Wilkerson, I'll give the fans the benefit of the doubt and just assume they thought he was faking, and that they probably weren't thinking of the 10 second rule.  (When I was watching the game, I wasn't thinking about it until the color guy mentioned it).

I'm really starting to wonder whether the Pats get desperate and give Randy Moss, or, gasp, even Terrell Owens a call.  The receivers they have right now are just dreadful.  Can't catch and can't run routes effectively.  Amendola is just someone you can't count on to be healthy.  And who knows whether Gronk is really going to be ready anytime soon. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#28 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,924 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

The division absolutely stinks, and that is not an understatement. Pats* play almost any other NFL teams and they are probably 0-2.

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#29 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,924 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:56 AM

I'm thinking when two teams are coming off a bye week this could be doable. Especially a Tuesday

anyway. what the NFL really needs is an extra bye week later in the season when injuries start piling up.

I agree but we all know what Roger will do: Add 2 more weeks and water down the NFL even more. He is leading the NFL on an inevitable path to decline.

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#30 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,944 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

Hey CR, why didn't the Pats re-sign Welker? Did they under-value him, or do they have a strict budget like the Devils do (or used to)?

#31 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

Hey CR, why didn't the Pats re-sign Welker? Did they under-value him, or do they have a strict budget like the Devils do (or used to)?

While I don't know what their cap situation was, if I had to guess, I think arrogance from Kraft and/or Belichek had a lot to do with it.  The thinking being we've won if the past with mediocre receiving and we'll do it again.  And Welker was nothing before Brady was throwing to him, so we can find another guy to do the same thing.   Also at the time, they still thought that Hernandez would be playing. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#32 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,116 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

While I don't know what their cap situation was, if I had to guess, I think arrogance from Kraft and/or Belichek had a lot to do with it.  The thinking being we've won if the past with mediocre receiving and we'll do it again.  And Welker was nothing before Brady was throwing to him, so we can find another guy to do the same thing.   Also at the time, they still thought that Hernandez would be playing. 

This was some of it.  I know they're actually well under the cap, and could have afforded Welker without an issue...that team does not have any financial issues.

The fact of it was, for all of the high-scoring, front-running, regular-season prowess, that Patriot offense was getting shut down too often in the postseason recently...almost too easily, when compared against the regular season.  I think the higher-ups decided it was time for a change, for some new faces.

From what I saw, I think Welker and the Pats kept mis-reading each other...I think both Welker and the Patriots thought he'd remain a Patriot...until he didn't.  I actually don't have a problem with the Pats not bringing him back, even with all that he did there...I do think it was time to change things up.  It's more how they tried to replace him (you don't do it with a guy made of Teflon and surgical thread)...then of course, you have the whole Hernandez mess, which is where things really got screwed up. 

Basically, you had a perfect storm for a quagmire, and having an extremely arrogant head coach who thinks he can win with anyone doesn't help matters.  Like I've said repeatedly, Brady has been covering up for BB for several years now.  I'm curious to see how much progress the offense makes with the extended practice week.       

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#33 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,261 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:16 PM

Welker and BB just didn't like each other. Welker was too outspoken, and BB is a control freak. I remember last season when BB basically phased Welker out of the offense, till all the injuries hit. Welker made light of BB in post game interviews last year, which was the death Nell in NE.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#34 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,947 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:31 PM

Manta's pretty much right on that one too...I remember Welker being nonexistent the first game and a half of last season until Hernandez got hurt, then all of a sudden they had to use him again.  It did get personal there, I mean they even incurred Brady's public wrath (for about five minutes) by letting him go.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#35 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,947 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

Geez this has been one wild Sunday...nice day to stay in and watch RedZone for most of the afternoon lol

People talk about the Chip Kelly offense but how does that defense let up three TD's to Eddie Royal :lol:  And how if you're Carolina do you let Stevie Johnson get wide open in the corner of the endzone on the final play?  God, dr's gonna pitch a fit.

#36 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,943 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

Ron Rivera...please be fired tonight. There is no fanbase that has been more tortured than Panthers fans over the last 5 years. There is being plain bad wich sucks, but you get to numb to it. Then there is being in every single game week in and week out and finding ways to lose. And Rivera after two seasons and two games of this sh!t, can't make any adjustments and stop playing it safe.

The funny thing is once the Panthers decided to go for a field goal instead of trying to end the game on 4th and 1 when you have the best short yardage fullback in Tolbert and the biggest QB in football, who by the way has never been stopped on a short yardage direct run on 3rd or 4th and whatever in his career, I knew 100% they were going to lose. And this is the same mistake over and over and over again.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#37 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,947 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

Bullock's getting FOUR chances to kick the GWFG, this is absurd - one ice the kicker timeout, one offsides on a block, and ANOTHER ice the kicker timeout.

And off the post on the fourth one, OT after all that lmao

#38 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,908 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

That's 2. And 23-39 319 and a TD for Tannehill. Good day at the office I'd say.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#39 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,170 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

Already regretting calling the Bucs a sleeper. Josh Freeman sucks and it's amazing how many stupid penalties they take. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#40 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,261 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:45 PM

How about those Ravens! We just crushed Cleveland :)
Loving the intensity of the SF/SEA game
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users