78 replies to this topic

#61 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:34 PM

Really like the deal for Cleveland, actually. Stacking up on picks for 2014 Draft: two picks in each of the 1st, 3rd, and 4th rounds. Richardson hasn't been terribly impressive through his first 17 career games.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#62 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,995 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

Cleveland's punting their season at 0-2, that's absurd.  Then again they know they can't win **** with Weeden at QB, but still there had to be more to this off the field than meets the eye.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#63 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,995 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:43 PM

Really like the deal for Cleveland, actually. Stacking up on picks for 2014 Draft: two picks in each of the 1st, 3rd, and 4th rounds. Richardson hasn't been terribly impressive through his first 17 career games.

They have no QB at all, they had a very raw Josh Gordon as their only pass catcher of consequence last year and the kid TE this year while Gordon was out.  How the hell was he ever going to find running lanes with all that stacked against him AND with nasty defenses in the division?

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#64 VivaLaFlamme

VivaLaFlamme

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

they claim he "didnt fit with the new coach's offense" so what happens when that coach gets fired at the end of the year? lol

Edit: Also, they traded their BEST player for what is likely a late first round pick, that is a horrible trade for cleveland imo

Edited by VivaLaFlamme, 18 September 2013 - 05:59 PM.

#65 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,492 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

Cleveland's punting their season at 0-2, that's absurd.  Then again they know they can't win **** with Weeden at QB, but still there had to be more to this off the field than meets the eye.

Unless this Weeden injury is worse then we think.....there's gotta be SOME reason Hoyer is starting this week......

they claim he "didnt fit with the new coach's offense" so what happens when that coach gets fired at the end of the year? lol

How the frak does a good RB NOT FIT IN WITH NORV TURNER AS THE OC!?!?!?!?! I call bullsh!t :P

Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#66 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,995 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

Unless this Weeden injury is worse then we think.....there's gotta be SOME reason Hoyer is starting this week......

That's another thing...why the hell are they starting him over Campbell?  Did Rachel Phelps buy the Browns?

#67 VivaLaFlamme

VivaLaFlamme

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

i dont think ive smelled this much bull poop sicne i visited a rodeo, listening to this press conference

Edited by VivaLaFlamme, 18 September 2013 - 06:41 PM.

#68 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

Not having a QB is exactly why they made the deal; they are stacking up on early-round picks to find their QB next April. Granted you'd have to have good faith in the regime, and maybe they could've gotten more, but I don't think their intent is ridiculous. Weeden is old and sucks, everybody knows this. Unless you have an elite back like Peterson, you build around the QB (especially in today's league), not the other way around. RB's are fungible, good QB's aren't.

re: punting the season - meh, where were they going in the first place with Weeden as the QB (who is now hurt and being replaced by the backup's backup)? Maybe a 7-9 or 8-8 season if things break right for Richardson and other players? Maybe? They'll be worse without Richardson but for the sake of their future, that's probably for the best; get a high pick winning a handful of games instead of stumbling to a mediocre-but-not-terrible record and worse pick.

I've also let it be known that I'm not on the Colts' bandwagon. I like this trade quite a bit for them as well, and this makes them better, but I still see them regressing heavily barring a monster breakout year from Luck. Their pick could be more of a mid-round/late-teens pick than late 1st rounder.

Edited by nmigliore, 18 September 2013 - 07:12 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#69 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,287 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

That's another thing...why the hell are they starting him over Campbell? Did Rachel Phelps buy the Browns?

They will probably be starting Hoyer the rest of the season as the team coaches have given up on Weedon, and he will be cut after this season as the Browns are drafting a QB in the first round.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#70 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:28 AM

Bill Barnwell's take on Cleveland's end of this trade (worth reading the whole thing, but these are just some excerpts):

The Browns? They closed the door on another era of future Browns superstars and began yet another stage in their endless rebuilding project. And yet, I like this trade for Cleveland far more than I do for Indianapolis. 

If it waited to trade Richardson after the season and he continued to struggle in the way that he has so far in his career, the Browns would have found it close to impossible to acquire a first-round pick in return. They would have likely settled for a second-rounder and another conditional mid-round pick. This might have been their last chance to get a first-rounder back. And there aren't many teams who are so desperate for help at running back that they'll deal a first-round pick for a player in midseason, so the Colts were Cleveland's last hope.

Running back is a fungible positionTo be quite blunt, the Browns could have signed just about any college free agent off the street and gotten the 3.5 yards per carry Richardson's produced so far as a pro. Even if Richardson raises his game a bit in Indianapolis, there's been nothing about his level of play that the Browns couldn't get from a cheap platoon of backs. They're already bringing in Willis McGahee for a physical on Thursday; McGahee isn't a star, but he's a player who can produce reliably as a running back without making a lot of money. The Browns would probably pay McGahee about what Richardson will make this year without any long-term commitment, and they get the added bonus of acquiring an extremely valuable first-round pick in what could be a stacked draft.

They get another asset for next year's draft. Cleveland already insinuated it would be playing for 2014 earlier Wednesday, when it announced it would start Brian Hoyer over Jason Campbell as a temporary replacement for the ailing Brandon Weeden. Playing a journeyman backup? Trading away your best offensive weapon? These sound like tanking strategies.

The move will also hurt Cleveland's chances of competing this season, which would help its original first-rounder rise toward the top of the draft. Let's say it finishes as the fourth-worst team. That would leave the Browns with the fourth pick, the 15th pick [this is Barnwell's projection of the Colts' pick], and the 36th selection in the 2014 draft, along with extra picks in the third and fourth rounds. If they wanted to move up to grab Teddy Bridgewater at no. 2, they could build a very serious trade package around those draft assets. (They could also opt for a lesser quarterback with one of those picks.) In that sense, this fits very well with Cleveland's primary goal as an organization right now: build a competitive defense while attempting to identify and acquire a young franchise quarterback.

I think it's more likely that the Browns are happy about this trade five years from now than the Colts are, although I don't think it's a slam dunk in either direction. 

He hit on pretty much all of the points I mentioned. Glad to see I'm not the only crazy one here.

Edited by nmigliore, 19 September 2013 - 09:31 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#71 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,594 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

It's a good trade for both teams.

Indy ought to expect to pick anywhere from 15 on down, and most likely somehwere around 18 to 20.  That's a decent spot to get a highly rated running back.  I also think the claim that you can get a good running back anywhere is a bit overstated.  I haven't seen any statistical comparisons, but you can say that about virtually every position.  There are plently of great QBs that were taken outside the first round, some in the bottom rounds, and some undrafted (Warner, Brady, Wilson, Kaepernick, Schaub, Romo, Brunell, Favre) taken outside the first round.  Sometimes the great running backs go early too (AP, Lynch, Spiller, Chris Johnson, Stephen Jackson, Doug Martin).  Biggest problem with drafting RBs is that they have short careers and are more injury prone than other positions.  Indy got one who's only 22, and is relatively healthy at the moment.   He also fills a need, and has the potential to transform that offense into the 90s Cowboys. 

Cleveland, on the other hand, has an offense that is such a mess that I doubt Barry Sanders would make that much of a difference.  Perhaps they could have held out for a bit more, but overall the trade works for them too.  It stinks when you give up on the number 3 pick so soon, but better to realize that it was a mistake sooner rather than later when you can still get good value in return.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#72 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,954 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

Agreed. New management shouldn't concern itself with where Richardson was taken or how much he has already been paid. Taking a running back 3rd overall is ridiculous, and he hasn't even been very good. The 2014 draft is loaded. Good deal for Cleveland.

Too many fantasy sports GMs out there looking at this deal and finding fault with it.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#73 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,492 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

Too many fantasy sports GMs out there looking at this deal and finding fault with it.

I think it's more the shock value here....EVERYONE expected Norv to be able to get the best out of this guy based on his history....and to give up on that after 2 weeks of real football...it just seems baffling, add in that big time trades are rare....and unheard of during the season.... it's expected people will stop and go WTF

....not to mention the Colts owner being a retard on twitter again almost spoiling the trade.....

Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#74 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,995 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

And the fact people act like Richardson was a Felix Jones/Cedric Benson (in Chi)-type washout when he's actually been pretty respectable given the utter crap around him. He only had 3.5 a carry, big whoop - what would anyone expect facing eight man fronts off the hop? And he's only had 17 NFL games!

If you were expecting him to dominate like AP right off the bat (and even AP wasn't facing eight man fronts as a rookie) then of course you'd be dissapointed. That's a pretty unrealistic curve to grade on after one NFL season though, even given he was the #3 overall.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 19 September 2013 - 11:32 AM.

#75 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,960 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:08 PM

That's another thing...why the hell are they starting him over Campbell?  Did Rachel Phelps buy the Browns?

No, I think she owns the Jags. :P
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#76 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,954 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

Why start Campbell? He is a known entity. Hoyer is not. Might as well find out what you got. This is what happens when a coach and GM are completely on the same page, and there is no fear of being fired for a bad season. Give Hoyer an opportunity. If he sucks, they improve their chances of a great draft pick. 

Jason Campbell isn't helping this franchise. 

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#77 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,995 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

Why start Campbell? He is a known entity. Hoyer is not. Might as well find out what you got. This is what happens when a coach and GM are completely on the same page, and there is no fear of being fired for a bad season. Give Hoyer an opportunity. If he sucks, they improve their chances of a great draft pick. 

Jason Campbell isn't helping this franchise. 

At 0-2 you start a career journeyman and throw up the white flag?  It's not like Hoyer's some valued draft pick or the season's actually over yet.  If you're trying to win at least start a semi-professional QB until you're clearly out of it - which at this rate's going to be like Week 6 anyway. That's so transparent an attempt to tank it's embarassing.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 19 September 2013 - 06:50 PM.

#78 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,954 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:44 PM

At 0-2 you start a career journeyman and throw up the white flag?  It's not like Hoyer's some valued draft pick or the season's actually over yet.  If you're trying to win at least start a semi-professional QB until you're clearly out of it - which at this rate's going to be like Week 6 anyway. That's so transparent an attempt to tank it's embarassing.

But he isn't a journeyman that Jason Campbell is. Who knows what you have in him until he gets a few games. There have been too many success stories of QBs from Warner, Romo, Delhomme and to much lesser extent but very solid Quarterbacks in Matt Moore, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Derek Anderson. Might as well see. 

Edited by devilsrule33, 19 September 2013 - 10:44 PM.

logokx.jpg

#79 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:52 PM

Eagles suck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users