134 replies to this topic

#121 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:14 AM

Loktionov was our best forward again! im a big fans of him.... Smart player... To be that good with that size you need to be that smart. but him 

the brunner zajac duo wasnt really good.... I love the michael ryder game... he is a ghost player not a core one but he makes good offensive play (pass and sniipe shot). I knew who he was because i saw him play in montreal. Dont expect him to kill penalty but goal will come

Éric Gélinas is ready for the NHL now. I saw him play in the QJMHL and he wasnt so great. But he win speed, strenght and improve in the defensive zone area. he should make the team.

Merril.. LOve him, sure he have to develop his defensive awareness, but the offensive stride are there.

Reid boucher is nervous.... give him time... He can be better than what you saw from him in camp

No way you can love marty's performance after seeing schneider the other night.

Remember it only preseason so dont panic! 

#122 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

Yeah I forgot to talk about Boucher, who has a whole bunch of bad habits from junior that'll need to be squeezed out of him, but that shot is marvelous.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#123 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

You know -- I figured out what's been annoying me about the defence.  As Tri has repeatedly reported, the Devils D hasn't been that bad.  They have good numbers.  So here is the thing...  Game Control.

To me, defence is in the position to control the entire game, moreso than any other position.  Our vets do not accept that responsibility.  They play a team game which --- I dont know,  to me that's not doing their complete job.  That's relinquishing control.  You make Sal the captain - it's like it's a marketing ploy almost - you sell your weak point.  Sal does NOT control a game.  he never did - he's only just gotten lucky or played with some focus a few play off games.  The man does NOT control a thing out there - he's barely in control of himself.  Tallinder -- always relinquishing control to focus on his own personal playing issues. 

Volchenkov and Greene so far, have been really great at leading the kids to feel out CONTROLLING the game.  That's why I was happy with Volch- he brought something of real value to the table and I was shocked I will say.  I just hope he continues that way -- after all you teach best what you most need to learn. 

So, true, I don't see it actually happening, they didn't control the game yesterday  - but they're like puppies (NO not LD;s kind). They know what they want to do and their instincts -- or their actions right now, their current first inclinations are in the right direction.  The really correct direction.    It's just so dammm cute!  Larsson doesn't seem to want to control a game.  It's been really hard to follow details with these choppy internet feeds though.  So annoying!!  I can't see specifics that often just general positioning and effort - no stickwork can be followed. 

I don't wan cable, I really dont want to give money to the Man  the evil power-abusing man who controls what used to be free.

(man, this is one of those posts :doh1:  I was all high this morning... I sound like such an a$$hole.  I wish I could just delete it all... but I did it, I wrote it and gawd knows I dont want to go back and try to re-expain what the hell I mean.  I need to relax and compose myself... ye gads... :rolleyes: )

Edited by Pepperkorn, 20 September 2013 - 01:31 PM.

I'm here for the party

#124 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:31 AM

You know -- I figured out what's been annoying me about the defence.  As Tri has repeatedly reported, the Devils D hasn't been that bad.  They have good numbers.  So here is the thing...  Game Control.

To me, defence is in the position to control the entire game, moreso than any other position.  Our vets do not accept that responsibility.  They play a team game which --- I dont know,  to me that's not doing their complete job.  That's relinquishing control.  You make Sal the captain - it's like it's a marketing ploy almost - you sell your weak point.  Sal does NOT control a game.  he never did - he's only just gotten lucky or played with some focus a few play off games.  The man does NOT control a thing out there - he's barely in control of himself.  Tallinder -- always relinquishing control to focus on his own personal playing issues. 

Volchenkov and Greene so far, have been really great at leading the kids to feel out CONTROLLING the game.  That's why I was happy with Volch- he brought something of real value to the table and I was shocked I will say.  I just hope he continues that way -- after all you teach best what you most need to learn. 

So, true, I don't see it actually happening, they didn't control the game yesterday  - but they're like puppies (NO not LD;s kind). They know what they want to do and their instincts -- or their actions right now, their current first inclinations are in the right direction.  The really correct direction.    It's just so dammm cute!  Larsson doesn't seem to want to control a game.  It's been really hard to follow details with these choppy internet feeds though.  So annoying!!  I can't see specifics that often just general positioning and effort - no stickwork can be followed. 

I don't wan cable, I really dont want to give money to the Man  the evil power-abusing man who controls what used to be free.

Larsson was awesome the other night. if he transfer it into all games, he could be our best D this year (poised, win speed, win physicality)

#125 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

Didn't see the game but from what I gather...the kids are alright, the old guys know this is pre-season (we hope...)?

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#126 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

Man, the kids look GREAT this preseason. You can tell DeBoer agrees by how often guys like Gelinas and Merrill were on the ice (every 30 seconds, it seemed). Gelinas is really turning heads, even my Islanders fan who was in attendance couldn't believe his skill and clutch, he's really turning into something. Boucher did good things too, was maybe better on Monday, but hell, he's nervous and YOUNG. I love his shot and release and the other things in his game that may be lacking are things that can be taught. He's got the right tools and instinct, he's got a bright future; I think we all know he'll go back to junior/AHL but he's still very exciting.

Zidlicky looked awful for most of the game. Brunner and Zajac both looked okay and up to par. I'm sure Brunner is still jetlagged, not to mention the weight of an unsure future and unfamiliarity with the system means we wouldn't see his real level of play until after at least a week or two. Zubrus was another bright spot; say what you want about his contract but he's gotten incrementally better the past few years and I saw some of that last night. Severson was okay and held his own.

Overall, the veterans looked terrible. Salvador was neutral, might have been the more solid of the veterans last night, but that's not saying much, Andy Greene was okay. Brodeur, forget it, I don't really know what to say. I know it's preseason hockey, but damn Marty, you need to give us (and your coach) SOME sort of assurance that you can still compete at a high level. He looked worse than he did in Atlantic City last offseason for the Sandy relief charity game (where goals resulted in more money donated, so he let in some softies). It's just nerve-racking going into the season after watching a performance like that. I can't imagine the coaches being okay if he were to show that much of a lack of effort during a practice scrimmage, much less a preseason game where people actually paid to come see it. Anyway, if I'm Pete DeBoer, I start Marty at the Barclays Center too. At this stage, I think we all realize Schneider is the best goalie on the team so I think getting Marty in shape is more important than anything else. Nothing to gain by starting Schneider in any of these games, except maybe Philly.

Moving on, Olesz looks encouraging. I think he'll fit right in, he plays a hybrid of Clarkson and Zubrus style and has good size. He'll be a very effective third line player, which is where I imagine him ending up considering our depth. Carter and Josefson were okay, they didn't stand out, but they'll come around. Barch, I don't really know what to say. We don't really need Barch or Janssen. Our team is big, our players are big and physical, and can fight if they need to, and they do. Watching Barch go at it 3 times last night was more depressing than anything else. It sucks that that is what he feels the need to do in a preseason game to make the team, but I just wish he had some more skill. Last year, when our depth was lacking, he looked decent on the 4th line and wasn't bad at all, definitely more skilled on the puck than Janssen. While he hasn't changed much for the positive or negative, our depth has passed him by and I just don't see room for him or Janssen. In just 3 short years, we've gotten bigger than just about all of our rivals, in my opinion. We're bigger and more physical than New York, by FAR. We can hold our own against the Islanders, and I'm not worried about the Flyers. We don't really need an enforcer anymore, the way we did maybe 3-4 years ago.

Loktionov looked great again, I'm really excited to watch him grow and he's turning out to be another Lou Lamoriello STEAL, with a ton of "special sauce" on top of it. He played last year (and looks this year) at the level we expect Zajac to play and does everything right in my opinion. I have almost never found myself saying, "What the hell Loktionov?", he's so solid. Similarly, Ryder looked good. He wasn't oustanding, but he's only a week in. I look forward to seeing his play as he grows more comfortable with his teammates and the system.

#127 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

I was sitting 10 rows right behind Marty last night and oh my god that was embarrassing. Halfway through the 2nd period he had a 50% SV%! I hope he was just disinterested but jeez that was bad esp after watching Schneider put on a clinic in the first preseason game

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#128 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

Boucher among 21 sent down to minors

www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=20486

#129 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

I was sitting 10 rows right behind Marty last night and oh my god that was embarrassing. Halfway through the 2nd period he had a 50% SV%! I hope he was just disinterested but jeez that was bad esp after watching Schneider put on a clinic in the first preseason game

He claims the 4 goals out of 8 shots were the fault of the young defense, you were there what  do you think?

Edited by LucifersDog, 20 September 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#130 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

He claims the 4 goals out of 8 shots were the fault of the young defense, you were there what  do you think?

He really said this??

Posted Image

#131 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

He really said this??

No, just LD enjoying a moment to bask in Marty having a bad game. Here were his quotes from TG's blog:

“Lots of goals, not many shots,” Brodeur said of the first period. “Not the way you’d like to start the preseason. I kind of came back in the second and felt a little better –  less shots, less breakdowns.”

After a first period like he and the team had, Brodeur said you “just try to shake it off.”

“It’s going to happen in the season also when you’re going to have periods like that,” he said. “It’s just most of the times you don’t get back in the net. When you do, you’ve got to try to kind of stop the bleeding a little bit and try to make saves and try to shake it off as much as you can.”

And here is what Marty said about the young d-men:

“It was a tough game, a lot of breakdowns today,” Brodeur said. “But they’re big boys. They have a long reach. The move the puck fairly well, but they’re young an they’re going to make some mistakes and it’s normal. I think when you’re going to get playing with older guys, that’s when you’re going to see more what they can do.

But (Gelinas) with his shot is an asset that we haven’t had in Jersey in a long time and I think it’s something to look at for our power play and for our overall game. The other guys are young. One of them is coming out of junior (Severson – Kelowna). The other one is coming out of college (Merrill – Michigan) . Gelly’s been in the minors, (Alex) Urbom has been in the minors, so they’ve got more experience a little bit.”

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#132 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

You are Fox-like in your attempts to put the worst possible spin on everything Marty says and does.

Edited by Marshall, 20 September 2013 - 02:02 PM.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#133 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:08 PM

He really said this??

According to the newspapers

#134 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

No, just LD enjoying a moment to bask in Marty having a bad game. Here were his quotes from TG's blog:

And here is what Marty said about the young d-men:

“It was a tough game, a lot of breakdowns today,” Brodeur said. “But they’re big boys. They have a long reach. The move the puck fairly well, but they’re young an they’re going to make some mistakes and it’s normal. I think when you’re going to get playing with older guys, that’s when you’re going to see more what they can do.

But (Gelinas) with his shot is an asset that we haven’t had in Jersey in a long time and I think it’s something to look at for our power play and for our overall game. The other guys are young. One of them is coming out of junior (Severson – Kelowna). The other one is coming out of college (Merrill – Michigan) . Gelly’s been in the minors, (Alex) Urbom has been in the minors, so they’ve got more experience a little bit.”

What did I say Marty said? You posted it. Not his fault according to Marty.

You are Fox-like in your attempts to put the worst possible spin on everything Marty says and does.

I didn't  say it he did. Why blame me it was his words. 4 goals out of 8 shots deserves what? He was tired????? First game timing????

#135 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 03:00 PM

What did I say Marty said? You posted it. Not his fault according to Marty.

I didn't  say it he did. Why blame me it was his words. 4 goals out of 8 shots deserves what? He was tired????? First game timing????

Are you serious? He was asked how he thought the young kids played. He never blamed them for goals. He gave an honest answer, they showed lots of promise but had a few mistakes and said it's expected from rookies. Not once did he say a young defenseman was to blame for a goal.

He said he wasn't happy with his first period and he was glad he got a chance to shake it off and make some saves in the second. No one said he played well, but to twist his words is kind of ridiculous.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users