Photo

Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1569 replies to this topic

#321 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:16 PM

There was no reason to voice any opinion tonight.  It's just a song!

Clearly the majority of people feel differently. I always used to hear a few scattered complaints about "you suck" but tonight was most of the crowd reacting to something they disagreed with. We were all paying customers, we have the right to voice an opinion. If it's "just a song", then why do you seem so STRONGLY against it? Try to see another point of view sometime. It's an interesting concept.

oKCiNj.jpg

#322 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,695 posts

I was actually sitting there dreading whether we'd be booing the thing if someone scored an OT winner.  What an embarassment THAT would have been.

And it's funny all these people that supposedly hate 'you suck'...none of them came to the game tonight.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 04 October 2013 - 11:17 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#323 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

It wasn't changed because of Gary Glitter, it was because some prudes don't like the word "suck" and complained to the team.   Never mind the strippers and the never ending parade of drunks, we can't have the word "suck" be uttered

Mindboggling to me considering it's a SYNONYME FOR STINKS!!! "Sucks" is as non-offensive as you can get. It's like "ass" or "damn" or "Hell" (no pun intended) if you think "sucks" is a bad word these days...in 2013 you need to come outside more often.

n2eg.jpg

#324 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:17 PM

Yes. Saying "Hey the opposing team sucks" is "low brow" but chanting "Flyers swallow" isn't.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Flyers swallow is trashy too. "Flyers swallow " and "you suck" seem to have started around the same time. At least that is yelled randomly and not as a celebration ritual.
Posted Image

#325 fsu1852

fsu1852

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:18 PM

The "Flyers swallow" chant is distasteful for sure.  But chanting "you suck" is not the right way to celebrate a goal.

I think it's dumb no matter what the score is.  But whatever.  This argument has been beaten to death.

I bet you that you did the chant too, if you say didn't your a lair because everybody does it in the arena

#326 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:19 PM

It wasn't changed because of Gary Glitter, it was because some prudes don't like the word "suck" and complained to the team.   Never mind the strippers and the never ending parade of drunks, we can't have the word "suck" be uttered

It's not the word itself.  It's the fact we use the phrase "you suck" as a way to celebrate a goal, and it's stupid.  

And if you think the dancers resemble strippers, I'd like to know what strip clubs you go to.  I'm not a fan of the dancers either.  But who cares?  Those girls love dancing, and they get a chance to do it professionally.  You don't have to look at them if you don't want to.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#327 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,249 posts

Yelling "You Suck" after scoring a goal isn't offensive because "suck" is a bad word. It is offensive because it's not creative, not funny, low class and ends up being yelled regardless if we're winning or not.

This dumb chant makes me think our fan base has a bunch of people like this in the stands. http://i3.kym-cdn.co...294/980/6b5.jpg

Celebrate the goal with the team, cheer them on. R&R pt 2 was a great goal song but "you suck" is why we can't have nice things.

Chant Lundqvist sucks or Flyers suck all you want, but try not to celebrate a goal like an idiot just because there is a mob doing it.

So now its low class? My goodness the high horse of morality some of you people have is ridicilious.

#328 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Flyers swallow is trashy too. "Flyers swallow " and "you suck" seem to have started around the same time. At least that is yelled randomly and not as a celebration ritual.

One is non-offensive the other is pretty much so. If you think kids don't say "sucks" in this day and age...ooooh boy. It's considered pretty tame and widely accepted these days. Not the 1950's anymore.

n2eg.jpg

#329 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:20 PM

It's not the word itself.  It's the fact we use the phrase "you suck" as a way to celebrate a goal, and it's stupid.  

And if you think the dancers resemble strippers, I'd like to know what strip clubs you go to.  I'm not a fan of the dancers either.  But who cares?  Those girls love dancing, and they get a chance to do it professionally.  You don't have to look at them if you don't want to.

And if you don't wanna chant "you suck", you don't have to. Your hypocrisy is ASTOUNDING.

oKCiNj.jpg

#330 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

They're far from classy.   My point is if people are going to be prudish there's plenty of other logical places to start.   And yes, I would not be surprised if this was a "day job" for a few of them.

#331 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:22 PM

Clearly the majority of people feel differently. I always used to hear a few scattered complaints about "you suck" but tonight was most of the crowd reacting to something they disagreed with. We were all paying customers, we have the right to voice an opinion. If it's "just a song", then why do you seem so STRONGLY against it? Try to see another point of view sometime. It's an interesting concept.

I'm not against the song.  I'm not against any song.  I loved R&R part 2.  What I am against is the fan response to this change.  There's no reason for it no matter what the circumstances are.

I bet you that you did the chant too, if you say didn't your a lair because everybody does it in the arena

I used to do it.  But that was before I realized how dumb it was.  I haven't chanted "you suck" in years.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#332 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:23 PM

I'm not against the song.  I'm not against any song.  I loved R&R part 2.  What I am against is the fan response to this change.  There's no reason for it no matter what the circumstances are.

I used to do it.  But that was before I realized how dumb it was.  I haven't chanted "you suck" in years.

Okay.  Let's review.

1) A change because of a reaction is okay.

2) A reaction because of a change is bad.

I'm sorry if I'm being a dick to you but for someone who doesn't care, you care too much and you've got a bit of a logical fallacy going on

#333 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:24 PM

I've been going to games long before flyers swallow was added to the rangers suck chant. It was funny the first few times "Gomez Swallows" was chanted when played us as a Ranger. But after that it's just overkill.

Also I'm not some Ned Flanders. Bad words don't offend me. It's just cringe worthy.

Edited by oofrostonoo, 04 October 2013 - 11:28 PM.

Posted Image

#334 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:25 PM

And if you don't wanna chant "you suck", you don't have to. Your hypocrisy is ASTOUNDING.

That's why I don't do it.

They're far from classy.   My point is if people are going to be prudish there's plenty of other logical places to start.   And yes, I would not be surprised if this was a "day job" for a few of them.

I would like to know how they are any different than other dance teams out there.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#335 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:25 PM

The fan response should tell you what the majority of paying customers want. Fan response should be top priority. If management doesn't listen to the fans then...I just don't know.

n2eg.jpg

#336 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,695 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:29 PM

The fan response should tell you what the majority of paying customers want. Fan response should be top priority. If management doesn't listen to the fans then...I just don't know.

They have two weeks to get hit over the head with Captain Obvious's frying pan.  And I'm sure whatever they didn't hear from the crowd reaction they're going to read in hate posts on the Internet/Twitter/Facebook and angry fans calling and writing letters.  If they're not going to have R$R Part 2 then at least have something GUARANTEED to engender goodwill from the majority of the fans - Runnin' with the Devil maybe, or something from Springsteen.  Hell, play the Sopranos theme if you must.  But this song cannot be played again, the Benny Hill theme would have been better, at least that's a creative way to make fun of the other team :P

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#337 CHICO IS GOD

CHICO IS GOD

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:29 PM

Wrote an e-mail to one of the Devils ticket reps. about the song and got a pretty immediate response. They indicated they'd "like to see how the fanbase reacts over the next few games".

I agree with a few of the other people on here. R&R part 2 or not, this song is not the way to go. Zombie Nation (which ended up failing) was 10 times better than this song as a "goal song". This one doesn't fit at all.

Never underestimate the scoring force of the almighty one named Scott Stevens, who is destined to become the greatest Power on Earth.

Posted ImagePosted Image

NJ Devs Keeper of Glenn Chico Resch and CAA Sections with Row 2 as the first row.

#338 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:30 PM

The fact Devils fans are so concerned over a stupid goal song is ridiculous. It's possible the new owners are behind this. In which case, Devils fans should be grateful since our debt is now gone. It's stupid to make such a big deal over a goal song.

They should be grateful that I pay for my season tickets. It's a 2 way street. It's their team, so they can change the goals song to itsy bitsy spider if they want. It is my right to boo their asinine selection and make my feelings known about it. And I will continue to do so until they change it back. It has nothing to do with the players and the team and management clearly knows that.
Posted Image

#339 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Okay.  Let's review.

1) A change because of a reaction is okay.

2) A reaction because of a change is bad.

I'm sorry if I'm being a dick to you but for someone who doesn't care, you care too much and you've got a bit of a logical fallacy going on

Unless you're offended by Bon Jovi, there's nothing worth complaining about.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#340 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

This. So much this. This is the be all, end all response to this argument. The majority of PAYING CUSTOMERS booed it and want it changed. A business needs to do its best to please its customers, especially when they are fighting to get new fans from numerous other local businesses. Also, you need to keep fans happy because you need them to keep coming back and in a time when the on-ice product has struggled more than usual over the past few years, now is not the time to be picking this battle and pissing people off.

Edited by PWW, 04 October 2013 - 11:31 PM.

oKCiNj.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users