Photo

Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1569 replies to this topic

#441 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,189 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:48 PM

Holy christ could people understand that (at least) my objection, and most of the other objections expressed in this thread, have little to do with profanity?  It has to do with celebrating a goal by mocking the other team.  It'd basically be inexplicable to someone you were explaining sports to, or indeed, even someone you were bringing to a Devils game for the first time.  'Okay, now when the Devils score a goal, they do this chant, 'you suck' - but it's directed at the other team.'  'So, the other team sucks for giving up a goal to the Devils?  Doesn't that mean the Devils suck too, by implication?  I mean, if you suck for having given up a goal to them, then they probably suck too'  'No, no, they're great, it's complicated, it's tradition'

I understand that point of view but I feel like you are really over-analyzing the situation.

I honestly don't care what the Devils pick as long as it gets people to stop complaining about "you suck" and gives the fans something to either clap or sing along to which from what I can tell this Bon Jovi song doesn't. I think a fan vote online would be the way to go.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#442 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

Didn't Ole win a fan vote? I'm pretty sure people hated Ole as well.

n2eg.jpg

#443 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,988 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

If they actually had the 'normal' version of Ole over the local band's knockoff version it might have worked.

But yeah I don't trust the fans to pick the right one either, or the team to pick the right ones to choose from.  The only solution left is Zubrus has to pick the next goal song :P

Edited by NJDevs4978, 05 October 2013 - 01:52 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#444 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

And so can "HEY YOU SUCK" with 10x the enthusiasm.

"You suck" can't in any way shape or form be used as a rallying chant.

"This is our house" can be interpreted as "we never give up" or "we don't get pushed around".

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#445 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

I understand that point of view but I feel like you are really over-analyzing the situation.

I honestly don't care what the Devils pick as long as it gets people to stop complaining about "you suck" and gives the fans something to either clap or sing along to which from what I can tell this Bon Jovi song doesn't. I think a fan vote online would be the way to go.

I think they should just let fans send in suggestions.  And then they should try different songs, and pick the one with the best reaction.  Preaseason would have been a perfect opportunity to try this.

I actually didn't hate Ole.  In fact I enjoyed it.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#446 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

The feeling I get from some people in here is that jeering the other team is inherently wrong. That's more of a personality trait thing than anything (some people like to talk sh!t... others don't) So if you're someone who likes to jeer the other team, then what would be a more appropriate time then when we score a goal? It almost seems like some people would prefer that other fans in the building never say anything ill of the other team. That's an honest question. If you can't razz the other team when they let in a goal then when can you? What's a better time?

#447 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

The feeling I get from some people in here is that jeering the other team is inherently wrong. That's more of a personality trait thing than anything (some people like to talk sh!t... others don't) So if you're someone who likes to jeer the other team, then what would be a more appropriate time then when we score a goal? It almost seems like some people would prefer that other fans in the building never say anything ill of the other team. That's an honest question. If you can't razz the other team when they let in a goal then when can you? What's a better time?

I have no problem with jeering the other team.  But most fanbases wait until after they're actually done celebrating their goal.  We use our jeering as a way of celebrating a goal, and I don't think it's right.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#448 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

I have no problem with jeering the other team.  But most fanbases wait until after they're actually done celebrating their goal.  We use our jeering as a way of celebrating a goal, and I don't think it's right.

Isn't that some extreme nitpicking though? I mean should we wait til two minutes post-goal celebration? I just don't know when a more appropriate time would be. That's when the crowd is the most electric is right after a goal.

#449 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

i may not be popular but if everybody would chant with the song the this is our house chant would be awesome

#450 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:01 PM

Why can't we celebrate a goal AND jeer the other team simultaneously? Kills two birds with one stone. Like, I don't get the reasoning that they have to be separate. If it's ok to jeer, then it's ok. You can't think it's ok but not until 15 seconds later. That just doesn't even make logical sense to me.

believe-devs.jpg

#451 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:03 PM

Isn't that some extreme nitpicking though? I mean should we wait til two minutes post-goal celebration? I just don't know when a more appropriate time would be. That's when the crowd is the most electric is right after a goal.

I don't think it's nitpicking at all.  We shouldn't JUST make fun of the opposing team.  We should celebrate the goal first.

i may not be popular but if everybody would chant with the song the this is our house chant would be awesome

I actually agree.  But try convincing that to 17,625 other people.

Why can't we celebrate a goal AND jeer the other team simultaneously? Kills two birds with one stone. Like, I don't get the reasoning that they have to be separate. If it's ok to jeer, then it's ok. You can't think it's ok but not until 15 seconds later. That just doesn't even make logical sense to me.

Problem is, we don't do both.  We just go straight to "Hey!  You suck".  That's not celebrating the goal.

Edited by Mike Brown, 05 October 2013 - 02:04 PM.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#452 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:06 PM

I don't think it's nitpicking at all.  We shouldn't JUST make fun of the opposing team.  We should celebrate the goal first.

Problem is, we don't do both.  We just go straight to "Hey!  You suck".  That's not celebrating the goal.

So when we all launch out of our seats and jump up and down while the goal horns blasting, high five our friends, neighbors, give out hugs, dance in the stands, etc... that's not celebrating?

#453 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

I actually agree.  But try convincing that to 17,625 other people.

I just don't get the argument that you and...say 1-2 thousand at most. Maybe less. Maybe a bit more. Should topple over that massive majority. Chanting "THIS IS OUR HOUSE" after we are getting blown out is JUST AS SILLY as chanting HEY YOU SUCK. If you want to use that argument.

If you are going to change the song. Change it to something the fans actually will like because whether you want the song changed or not  HARDLY ANYONE liked Bon Jovi last night. Plus he's a Rangers fan.

The guy doing our new goal horn is a Rangers fan! Get the hell out of here. Use a Bruce track if you are going to be full on cheesy Jersey.

Edited by TheMazz, 05 October 2013 - 02:08 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#454 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

Chants like that also happen quite a bit in college.    They ain't winning on this.

you just made my head hurt..........im honestly not even going to get into an arguement about that idiotic comment.

Dumbass, I'm talking about hard liquor for a sports arena.   Go to the Captain Morgan bar at Giants Stadium and tell me what you think about THOSE prices.  $18 for a one shot drink.

And if you're going to use "idiotic", you'd be best served to realize there's no E after the U in "argument".

#455 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

Do you not hear how LOUD the crowd gets chanting and clapping followed by the buzz in the arena afterwards? That IS celebrating. There is pure jubilation during the goal horn and then the song kicks in and boom, there comes the heckling half of the equation. Last night you could've heard a pin drop during the new goal song from the crowd and then booing and then silence. R&R got people fired up not only for the celebration and heckling, but for a considerable amount of time after. The song didn't accomplish either of those things. About a minute after the goal it literally felt like nothing at all had just happened.

believe-devs.jpg

#456 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:15 PM

MB how do you celebrate a goal? Do you actually like...cheer? Do nothing? Stand up. Do a few golf claps then sit down again?

I'm curious.

n2eg.jpg

#457 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

So when we all launch out of our seats and jump up and down while the goal horns blasting, high five our friends, neighbors, give out hugs, dance in the stands, etc... that's not celebrating?

Well it is.  My point is, no other fanbase uses the goal song as an opportunity to jeer the other team.  We shouldn't either.

I just don't get the argument that you and...say 1-2 thousand at most. Maybe less. Maybe a bit more. Should topple over that massive majority. Chanting "THIS IS OUR HOUSE" after we are getting blown out is JUST AS SILLY as chanting HEY YOU SUCK. If you want to use that argument.

If you are going to change the song. Change it to something the fans actually will like because whether you want the song changed or not  HARDLY ANYONE liked Bon Jovi last night. Plus he's a Rangers fan.

The guy doing our new goal horn is a Rangers fan! Get the hell out of here. Use a Bruce track if you are going to be full on cheesy Jersey.

Do you know what the term "rallying cry" or "rallying chant" means?  They are terms in reference to cheers or actions fans and players do in order to make a comeback.  You've heard of "rally caps" or the "rally monkey" in Anaheim, right?  Well when a team is behind, players and fans resort to "rally"ing as a means to get their team back into the game in which they are losing.

"This is our house" can actually be used in that manner.  "You suck" cannot in any way be used in that manner.

And what's worse?  Celebrating to a song written by a Rags fan, or celebrating to a song written by a pedophile?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#458 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:19 PM

Do you not hear how LOUD the crowd gets chanting and clapping followed by the buzz in the arena afterwards? That IS celebrating. There is pure jubilation during the goal horn and then the song kicks in and boom, there comes the heckling half of the equation. Last night you could've heard a pin drop during the new goal song from the crowd and then booing and then silence. R&R got people fired up not only for the celebration and heckling, but for a considerable amount of time after. The song didn't accomplish either of those things. About a minute after the goal it literally felt like nothing at all had just happened.

But like I just said, no other fanbase uses their goal song as a way to jeer the opposing team.  We shouldn't either.

MB how do you celebrate a goal? Do you actually like...cheer? Do nothing? Stand up. Do a few golf claps then sit down again?

I'm curious.

I stand up, clap, cheer, and do what everybody else does.  I'l also chanted "Hey" without the "you suck!".

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#459 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:19 PM

I'm curious.

He looks up from his newspaper for a few seconds and nods approvingly.   LOL.     If this keeps going I'm going to end up fully siding with the drunken mob.

#460 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

He looks up from his newspaper for a few seconds and nods approvingly.   LOL.     If this keeps going I'm going to end up fully siding with the drunken mob.

I don't chant "you suck" that's for sure.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users