Photo

Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1569 replies to this topic

#561 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

Have you ever watched the movie Mystery Alaska? Remember when Russell Crow's character was in the locker room during the 2nd intermission when they were down 5-2? He was referring to "their pond".

a fictional movie about the rangers, is this your point? 

i hope the next home game doesnt look like the movie.

Posted Image

#562 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

Everyone knows Miracle is the best hockey movie anyway (but that's besides the point)

n2eg.jpg

#563 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

Last I checked. You were supposed to boo and be "negative" to the opposition as much as possible. Not cheer the opposing team on. That's so lame. "OK guys while you aren't my favorite team, might nice effort out there".

That's gross.

Wanna change the goal song? Hell by Foo Fighters. I could see that working.

Um what? You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. We're supposed to be supporting our team first and foremost. "This is our house" is a chant that shows support for our team.

Believe it or not, we go to games to cheer our team on. Or at least I do.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#564 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

More infantile and insecure than worrying about what other people chant? If you don't like it, don't chant it. I don't chant any of that stuff because I don't like it. But i don't see the point in being a fun Nazi to people enjoying themselves. It's a hockey game, not the 3 Tenors.

Are you serious???  Infantile and insecure???   The reverse is true imo.  The chanters are the infantile ones.  The problem I have is that is it crass, crude and unnecessary.  I guess that society doesn't teach politeness and morals are a thing that left with the previous generation.  The same folks most likely use crass words about female physiology and hygiene and that is okay?  Sure! Those words aren't bad, just like the word suck. Would they chant that if they were with their grandmother, mother or children.  If yes then society is worse than I believe it to be.  Done with this thread and other portions of the site.

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#565 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:53 PM

a fictional movie about the rangers, is this your point? 

i hope the next home game doesnt look like the movie.

Considering the Mystery team loses, I agree. I hope the next game doesn't end up like that either.

Everyone knows Miracle is the best hockey movie anyway (but that's besides the point)

I agree. Think of "this is our house" as a condensed version of Kurt Russell's speech.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#566 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

Um what? You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. We're supposed to be supporting our team first and foremost. "This is our house" is a chant that shows support for our team.

Believe it or not, we go to games to cheer our team on. Or at least I do.

Of course you go to cheer on the Devils but you don't go to cheer the other team's effort on as well.

Are you serious???  Infantile and insecure???   The reverse is true imo.  The chanters are the infantile ones.  The problem I have is that is it crass, crude and unnecessary.  I guess that society doesn't teach politeness and morals are a thing that left with the previous generation.  The same folks most likely use crass words about female physiology and hygiene and that is okay?  Sure! Those words aren't bad, just like the word suck. Would they chant that if they were with their grandmother, mother or children.  If yes then society is worse than I believe it to be.  Done with this thread and other portions of the site.

Not sure about you but my mother would be doing the chant along with me. Same with my father. Same with my kids (if I had any.) Because the damn chant is harmless and people like you make it into something it isn't. Let's not have fun at hockey games and let's just golf-clap whenever the Devils score. Let's get rid of the Diablos because they're too loud, let's change our team name because "Devils" is an offensive term. Perhaps then people like you would be happy then? Because that's the end result if we had the overly PC fans have their way.

Edited by TheMazz, 06 October 2013 - 02:55 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#567 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

I'm 24 for the record and I'm embarrassed every time they do the you suck chants. God forbid somebody in the building have a creative bone in their body and come up with something not off the local playground

edit: I don't really like the bon jovi thing either but really anything to stop everyone from chanting you suck 100000x a game or at least a fraction of it's ok with me

Edited by DH26, 06 October 2013 - 02:56 PM.

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#568 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:57 PM

Of course you go to cheer on the Devils but you don't go to cheer the other team's effort on as well.

I never said anything of the sort. Show me where I said anything about cheering the other team.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#569 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

Not sure about you but my mother would be doing the chant along with me. Same with my father. Same with my kids (if I had any.) Because the damn chant is harmless and people like you make it into something it isn't. Let's not have fun at hockey games and let's just golf-clap whenever the Devils score. Let's get rid of the Diablos because they're too loud, let's change our team name because "Devils" is an offensive term. Perhaps then people like you would be happy then? Because that's the end result if we had the overly PC fans have their way.

Talk about hyperbole. Good grief! Nobody said anything of the sort.

I'm 24 for the record and I'm embarrassed every time they do the you suck chants. God forbid somebody in the building have a creative bone in their body and come up with something not off the local playground

edit: I don't really like the bon jovi thing either but really anything to stop everyone from chanting you suck 100000x a game or at least a fraction of it's ok with me

Exactly. If we wanna mock and jeer the opposition, can we at least chant something more creative than "you suck"?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#570 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

"You suck" is a negative chant directed at the opposition.

You tell me. Who in the actual fvck cares about if we are hurting the feelings of the opposition the moment we score? Comments like that make me want to bang my head against the desk I'm typing this comment on.

Edited by TheMazz, 06 October 2013 - 03:03 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#571 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

"You suck" is a negative chant directed at the opposition.

You tell me. Who in the actual fvck cares about if we are hurting the feelings of the opposition the moment we score? Comments like that make me want to bang my head against the desk I'm typing this comment on.

If you actually would read what people are saying, you wouldn't have a problem.

I don't care about hurting other teams' feelings. But as fans we are supposed to cheer and support our team first. And mock and jeer the opposition second.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#572 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

I never said anything of the sort. Show me where I said anything about cheering the other team.

Lost cause :doh1:. He's reaching by now, but at least he's not ranting which is more then i can say for a few of the stereotypes in this discussion.

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

#573 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,730 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

Are you serious??? Infantile and insecure??? The reverse is true imo. The chanters are the infantile ones. The problem I have is that is it crass, crude and unnecessary. I guess that society doesn't teach politeness and morals are a thing that left with the previous generation. The same folks most likely use crass words about female physiology and hygiene and that is okay? Sure! Those words aren't bad, just like the word suck. Would they chant that if they were with their grandmother, mother or children. If yes then society is worse than I believe it to be. Done with this thread and other portions of the site.

I clearly said I don't agree with the chant or participate in it. I just said I don't see why people are so adamant about what other people can or can't chat. It's a hockey game. I don't like the chants but I'm not expecting other people to change their cheers because of it.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#574 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why we can't have nice things. People like this, over analyzing something as simple as a goal chant. Right on, runninwiththedevil.

You and the ranter above prove my point about the 20-something culprits in this fanbase. Can't have it your way so you go and cry, rant, insult, make fools out of yourselves on social media and by booing when your team scores a goal. And (my favorite) point fingers at others because you can't bring yourselves to understand anything that differs 180 degrees from your point of view.

No, trust me, I understand your point completely. I also understand that it's a load of nonsense - that's the difference. Dismissive? Sure, but this whole debate is just ridiculous. I haven't spoken about this anywhere other than this forum - does this count as a social media outlet?

If I'm being labeled as what you've described, can I label you as an overly-sensitive "classy" 40-something? To bring age into this is ridiculous, but I've done so to make my point.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#575 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:23 PM

how is this thread really still going on.. talk about beating a dead horse geeze
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#576 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

Honestly the you suck chant is a lot of fun. I think the people against it are just being squares. I still remember the rock shaking when we beat the rangers in the ECF. I was with my step father and his son who is an islanders fan, the kid went nuts screaming rangers suck, and followed along with every you suck chant.

Those are good memories, everyone gets involved in the you suck chant, its like mass bonding. Very upset to hear it's gone, as its one of the most fun things about going to the games.

#577 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

I clearly said I don't agree with the chant or participate in it. I just said I don't see why people are so adamant about what other people can or can't chat. It's a hockey game. I don't like the chants but I'm not expecting other people to change their cheers because of it.

I like this mindset.  When we did have Rock and Roll part 2, I personally have never gone to management demanding they change the song even though I absolutely loathe the chant.  "It is what it is".

Now the tables have turned.  The song has been officially changed.  Why can't all of the Rock and Roll 2 lovers get over this change?  If chanting "Hey, you suck!" is the only reason some people attend a hockey game, then I just don't know what to say.

No, trust me, I understand your point completely. I also understand that it's a load of nonsense - that's the difference. Dismissive? Sure, but this whole debate is just ridiculous. I haven't spoken about this anywhere other than this forum - does this count as a social media outlet? If I'm being labeled as what you've described, can I label you as an overly-sensitive "classy" 40-something? To bring age into this is ridiculous, but I've done so to make my point.

There's hypocrisy on both sides.  But here's the problem.  Now that the song is changed, why is it so hard for people to get over it?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#578 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:38 PM

By StarDew's way of thinking then hockey players should go to charm school.

n2eg.jpg

#579 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:41 PM

how is this thread really still going on.. talk about beating a dead horse geeze

I agree.  What's done is done.

Honestly the you suck chant is a lot of fun. I think the people against it are just being squares. I still remember the rock shaking when we beat the rangers in the ECF. I was with my step father and his son who is an islanders fan, the kid went nuts screaming rangers suck, and followed along with every you suck chant.

Those are good memories, everyone gets involved in the you suck chant, its like mass bonding. Very upset to hear it's gone, as its one of the most fun things about going to the games.

It's just unnecessary to chant after we score a goal.  Rock and Roll part 2 is supposed to be a celebratory song.  Adding "you suck" to a goal celebration makes it seem like we care more about the other team than our own team.

By StarDew's way of thinking then hockey players should go to charm school.

I don't see that anywhere in his post.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#580 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

No, trust me, I understand your point completely. I also understand that it's a load of nonsense - that's the difference. Dismissive? Sure, but this whole debate is just ridiculous. I haven't spoken about this anywhere other than this forum - does this count as a social media outlet? If I'm being labeled as what you've described, can I label you as an overly-sensitive "classy" 40-something? To bring age into this is ridiculous, but I've done so to make my point.

You have to bring age into this because that's where the problem lies in the open. The majority of those fans who think "you suck" is creative, funny, original, etc. is the younger segment. To a lesser extent, it's a maturity problem perhaps mixed with alcohol and a monkey see/do mindset. It's not just limited to "you suck" chants either. 

Edited by TheRedStorm, 06 October 2013 - 05:39 PM.

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users