Photo

Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1569 replies to this topic

#41 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

Maybe some Bruce or Anthem? I wish they'd update the goal horn too, something like Washington's. Love that siren

I love Washington's goal horn / siren too but I would bet a paycheck that the majority of our fanbase would be up in arms if we had something like that. It's not very popular I don't think.

Not really sure honestly, just was thinking cool NJ rock bands. Maybe we'll get lucky and the Devils will have commissioned Gaslight Anthem to write a goal song for 'em. (HAH! I can dream though, right?)

Haha that would be amazing.

#42 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:36 PM

Rev Theory's Hell Yeah is adequate. Or even Limp Bizkit's Rollin'.

for the love of god no  limp bizkit 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#43 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:48 PM

I'm not a fan of Motley Crue but "Shout at the Devil" works.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=aqO8LpE0GU4

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#44 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,528 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:52 PM

I'm not a fan of Motley Crue but "Shout at the Devil" works.

Funny that in the 2003 conference finals the Senators would play that doing when the Devils would score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#45 justintime2989

justintime2989

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:17 AM

Ugh this is bad news for myself if they get rid of r&r part 2 since agree gets the croud all together and it's so loud especially the playoffs. And could never get into old goal song.

#46 Ollie McKraut

Ollie McKraut

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:19 AM

I'm all about some Gaslight but what song would be appropriate to celebrate a goal? I can't think of one.

The new record has a lot of "woah-ohs," there are moments in "Handwritten," "Howl," and "Desire" that seem like they'd fit pretty well

Send us back to hell,
we've had out fill of heaven,
give us back our sins,
deadly one through seven

#47 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:05 AM

Rock and Roll Part 2 was great until morons ruined it with the 'You suck!' chant. NHL Network showed the 2003 Cup Finals Game 7 recently and I was surprised to not hear anything after Hey! when Rupp scored. I know no song will compare but hopefully whatever they come up with can't have 'You suck!' easily appended to it.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#48 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,933 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:25 AM

Rock and Roll Part 2 was great until morons ruined it with the 'You suck!' chant. NHL Network showed the 2003 Cup Finals Game 7 recently and I was surprised to not hear anything after Hey! when Rupp scored. I know no song will compare but hopefully whatever they come up with can't have 'You suck!' easily appended to it.

Celebrating a gigantic goal without "You Suck" at the end? I don't understand.

I'm in the same boat as you. The chant is ridiculous.I'm all for the crowd chanting in unison  It turns celebrating a positive into a negative.

It diminishes anything the Devils do because apparently when they score it only happens against a team that sucks. It doesn't matter if they advance to the Finals, or barely stay alive in Game 6 of the 1st round, or score the 1st goal in game 5 of the Cup Finals but find themselves down 3-1 in the series still. It doesn't matter if they are playing the best team in the league losing 4-1 or the worst team down 4-1. The first thing the crowd chants is that the other team sucks. And if the Devils happen to be beating on some random team, say 5-1, what's the point of chanting 'You Suck" at them with such glee. 

Going back to what Tri said, here is one of the great goals in Devils history. The insurance goal against the Ducks. Does anyone hear this great moment and go "Man, the Devils are about to win the Cup, what an incredible moment, but I really wish the crowd was telling the the Ducks players how much they suck."

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=bYUuLPj8zXg

Edited by devilsrule33, 22 September 2013 - 07:27 AM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#49 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:36 AM

Funny that in the 2003 conference finals the Senators would play that doing when the Devils would score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I also heard that song more recently when a Devil was put in the penalty box. 

#50 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:10 AM

Tri and DR33 are right on the money on this one. I was in favor of bringing back the Hey Song a few years back, but the idiots ruined it with the classless You Suck. I cringe at it, especially when I've brought people to games who aren't suspecting it. Get rid of the song already.

Bring back Ole, I think people are underestimating how people responded to that tune. I know I liked it.

http://www.youtube.c...bed/J6Z5TPBAh-M

Edited by HellOnICE, 22 September 2013 - 08:11 AM.

#51 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

Good, the "you suck" is dumb.

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#52 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,528 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:09 AM

I was actually relieved when other teams' fans would do the you suck in their goal celebrations. We weren't the only ones that looked stupid. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#53 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,899 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

The new record has a lot of "woah-ohs," there are moments in "Handwritten," "Howl," and "Desire" that seem like they'd fit pretty well

Yeah Howl was along the lines of what I was thinking, couldn't remember which song it was til you mentioned it.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#54 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

i could go for the "hey hey hey!" from Van Halen's Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love.

Not a bad idea, but it sounds similar to part of the Rangers' goal song.

i really like the naughty by nature idea.

how bout some rage against the machine?

I love Rage but the problem is the same problem with almost every other suggestion--people suggest songs that they like, and a lot of people don't listen to the same kind of music.  Rock and Roll Part 2 is so generic and cheesy that everyone can easily get on board with it.  I never got into Ole even though I thought it was cool they went with a local band because I just don't really enjoy that style of music and I feel if they switch to Gaslight Anthem I would probably feel the same way, and I'm sure people would feel the same if I suggested some of my favorite bands too.  When you consider that it has to be something people can easily participate in regardless of their musical tastes and needs an easily chant-able part, it's pretty hard to come up with a good goal song.  Rock and Roll Part 2 pretty much hits those points right on the head.  Though I like the idea of a New Jersey band coming up with a specifically-designated goal song, that would be cool.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#55 Rogan The Goat

Rogan The Goat

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

Who cares...I actually enjoy the "you suck" chant. I love standing up out of my seat, cheering for who scored, and doing a chant afterwards. Does it matter what we chant? Why should we care what other fan bases think of us when we score at home? Now if this was baseball and every time a run scored, saying "you suck" would be a lot different. But it's hockey, a sport known for it's grit and intensity and the fan base that goes with it.

Now of course if it did change to something else I wouldn't care all that much but I just don't see the point in changing it. I enjoy it, personally.

#56 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,797 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:12 AM

Ole is absolutely awful, leave that to the Habs and soccer fans.  Most stupid goal song I can possibly imagine for this team.

I like R&R pt 2, and I, for one, think the whole 'controversy' over the "you suck" is WAY overblown.  You're not protecting the children when they're going to hear "Rangers suck, Gomez swallows" about four times a game.  It's a stupid chant (the "you suck"), but I don't think it's worth ditching the traditional goal song for.  Some of you are so overly sensitive to how this fanbase is perceived around the NHL..who cares?

One final note to the people who complain about R&R Pt 2 being "cliche" - I'm going to laugh pretty hard when a remixed Zombie Nation is debuted at the home opener. 

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#57 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:32 AM

They should just go into the main riff of Heaven & Hell. Works great for a crowd sing-along and tough to put 'you suck' at the end of it.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#58 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

As I said on HF a great potential goal song would be the new Stone Temple Pilots track "Out of Time".  Maybe it's because I'm an STP fanboy but imagine that clock winding down, we score and the whole arena chants "OOOOOOH YOU CAN'T HIDE, OOOOOO YOU'RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!" That would be intimidating as hell to another team.

n2eg.jpg

#59 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:15 PM

The people defending the you suck chant are not seeing the main reason why people who are against it (such as I). It's not the word itself (I don't think anyone here would say the work suck is even close to a curse word) but the fact that the chant shows what a giant inferiority complex out fanbase as a whole has. It is especially cringeworthy when we are losing 4-0 and then we score and half the arena chants you suck to the other team.

It's not the word, it's how it just makes us look like dumb kids.

#60 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:07 PM

The people defending the you suck chant are not seeing the main reason why people who are against it (such as I). It's not the word itself (I don't think anyone here would say the work suck is even close to a curse word) but the fact that the chant shows what a giant inferiority complex out fanbase as a whole has. It is especially cringeworthy when we are losing 4-0 and then we score and half the arena chants you suck to the other team.

It's not the word, it's how it just makes us look like dumb kids.

Yeah I'm with this. I don't care about protecting the kids but its cringe inducing to hear it and I'm embarrassed to be there when it happens

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users