Photo

Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1569 replies to this topic

#621 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:39 PM

How is this still going?

#622 Bibby89

Bibby89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:45 PM

Can't we just get back to the Katy Perry pictures now?

#623 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:46 PM

That's fair.

But, Nashville plays a Tim McGraw song before they play Rock and Roll 2.  That makes a huge difference.  They don't overdo the "sucks" thing like we do.  Also the "you suck" isn't as audible on the tv when Nashville does it.

My suggestion is do the "Hey!" chant without the "you suck" chant.  Then follow that up with the "opposing team sucks!" chant.  It makes the overall goal celebration less awkward, and we can still tell the opposing team they suck.

What are your thoughts on the other chants? Are they "lowbrow"? Forget that you are a Devils fan here for a second. Simple question. Do you think those chants listed in that article are "low brow" and "classless"

n2eg.jpg

#624 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:48 PM

It isn't this at all.  Do Rangers fans start chanting Marty immediately during their goal song?  Serenading goalies is fine, mocking opponents is fine, just save it for some time after a goal is scored.

this.
Posted Image

#625 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

What are your thoughts on the other chants? Are they "lowbrow"? Forget that you are a Devils fan here for a second. Simple question. Do you think those chants listed in that article are "low brow" and "classless"

I'm actually relieved that there are other teams that have fans that try to ruin the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#626 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:16 PM

Nope.  Nor do I think "you suck" is classless.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#627 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:17 PM

How is this still going?

There are a couple of narrow minded posters that feel everyone at the Rock should follow "their rulebook" and just don't realize people are gonna do what they want (and have a good time doin it)

#628 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:26 PM

There are a couple of narrow minded posters that feel everyone at the Rock should follow "their rulebook" and just don't realize people are gonna do what they want (and have a good time doin it)

Nobody is trying to stop people from doing anything.  Some people are just saying that certain things people do are stupid, dumb, lame, and unnecessary.   :thumbsup:

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#629 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:31 PM

Nobody is trying to stop people from doing anything.  Some people are just saying that certain things people do are stupid, dumb, lame, and unnecessary.   :thumbsup:

First of all, the goal song has been changed, and there is no more "Hey..you suck"  why are people still arguing over it?

second of all, you are expecting people to have the same thought process and morals as yourself....not gonna happen, 17k people are gonna do things that some people like and some dont, Devils fans cant even agree on who should start in goal, or who should be in the lineup

#630 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:37 PM

First of all, the goal song has been changed, and there is no more "Hey..you suck"  why are people still arguing over it?

second of all, you are expecting people to have the same thought process and morals as yourself....not gonna happen, 17k people are gonna do things that some people like and some dont, Devils fans cant even agree on who should start in goal, or who should be in the lineup

To your first question, I'd like to know the answer to that myself.

To your second point, I'm not in any way telling people what to do or not to do.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#631 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,893 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:56 PM

We'll see if that's still true after the boos of the other night and the two weeks of angry calls/emails/posts/tweets they've been and will continue to get.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#632 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:16 AM

I heard they changed the song because they received ONE bad email about the you suck chant.

Devils.

#633 Rogan The Goat

Rogan The Goat

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:43 AM

You don't think getting this worked up over a simple goal song change is a tad bit ridiculous?

It's been here for a while, we want it, we should ultimately, for the most part, decide what our goal song should be. 

Also, I highly doubt you were embarrassed sitting around a bunch of Devils fans while they were booing the song. Honestly doesn't make any sense at all.

#634 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,491 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:44 AM

Conversely there are a few narrow-minded posters who are staunchly defending a silly, infantile chant to the point where they are going on every form of social media to whine about the goal change all because the devils took away their ability to shout you suck at the other team after we score a goal.

#635 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,491 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:47 AM

It's been here for a while, we want it, we should ultimately, for the most part, decide what our goal song should be.

Also, I highly doubt you were embarrassed sitting around a bunch of Devils fans while they were booing the song. Honestly doesn't make any sense at all.

Again if it is all about the song then that's fine. However I bet if the devils management said they will bring the song back on the condition that fans stop the you suck chant, most would balk at that idea.

It's all about a bunch of teens, twenty-something's and some man-children who are throwing a tantrum because they can't yell you suck to the other team.

#636 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:56 AM

Again if it is all about the song then that's fine. However I bet if the devils management said they will bring the song back on the condition that fans stop the you suck chant, most would balk at that idea.

It's all about a bunch of teens, twenty-something's and some man-children who are throwing a tantrum because they can't yell you suck to the other team.

This elitist crap is what's annoying about this debate. Stop pretending you're more mature than everyone who disagrees with you. It's untrue, insulting, and, quite frankly, immature.

My parents are a pair of military/civil service retirees who are morally conservative and volunteer at their church every Sunday. At the home opener when Bon Jovi played instead of RnR Pt. 2, my mother leaned over and said "What happened to 'Hey! You suck!'? That was always so much fun!" Thank you for repeatedly calling them immature 20-somethings throughout this thread, just because they enjoy doing something that's completely harmless but you, for some reason, take personal offense to.

It isn't this at all.  Do Rangers fans start chanting Marty immediately during their goal song?  Serenading goalies is fine, mocking opponents is fine, just save it for some time after a goal is scored.

Not the best example. Rangers fans sometimes start their Marty taunt before the opening faceoff, and frequently before the first shot on goal is tallied, let alone a goal scored.

Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#637 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,491 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:07 AM

This elitist crap is what's annoying about this debate. Stop pretending you're more mature than everyone who disagrees with you. It's untrue, insulting, and, quite frankly, immature.

My parents are a pair of military/civil service retirees who are morally conservative and volunteer at their church every Sunday. At the home opener when Bon Jovi played instead of RnR Pt. 2, my mother leaned over and said "What happened to 'Hey! You suck!'? That was always so much fun!" Thank you for repeatedly calling them immature 20-somethings throughout this thread, just because they enjoy doing something that's completely harmless but you, for some reason, take personal offense to.

Not the best example. Rangers fans sometimes start their Marty taunt before the opening faceoff, and frequently before the first shot on goal is tallied, let alone a goal scored.

So your mom's biggest concern about R&R part 2 not being played is that she can't say you suck to the other team? What would you call that?

It's not elitist. It's acting like a decent human being. This whole mentality of a certain chunk of devils fans where we have to become pseudo flyers fans to "defend" our building is making the entire fanbase look infantile and silly.

#638 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,893 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:34 AM

I was bemused about the booing on goal #1 (I partially expected it), embarassed after goals #2 and #3 when it only got louder.  This is like politics, both sides are wrong and both sides are just as entrenched in their radical positions as the radical wings of the left and right.  I'm apparently in the minority that I think both sides are wrong here, and I think the team was wrong and shouldn't have tried to enact a change in the middle of the night they KNEW would get pillored.

Conversely there are a few narrow-minded posters who are staunchly defending a silly, infantile chant to the point where they are going on every form of social media to whine about the goal change all because the devils took away their ability to shout you suck at the other team after we score a goal.

How else are fans supposed to make their voice heard on the goal-song change?  Besides the petty booing?

I honestly don't see why You Suck bothers anyone, and I don't see why people derive their entire enjoyment from it either.  But the goal song's for the fans, and the team might as well let the paying customers have what they want or it's going to only get worse.  I mean it's a goal song, big deal.  You don't have to participate in it if you don't like You Suck. 

Edited by NJDevs4978, 07 October 2013 - 07:50 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#639 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,299 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:49 AM

So your mom's biggest concern about R&R part 2 not being played is that she can't say you suck to the other team? What would you call that?

It's not elitist. It's acting like a decent human being. This whole mentality of a certain chunk of devils fans where we have to become pseudo flyers fans to "defend" our building is making the entire fanbase look infantile and silly.

I don't even care about the you suck part, I just want the hey song back but people aren't decent human beings because they chant you suck? Come on now, that's a real stretch.

#640 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:03 AM

It's hockey. I have no problem with "you suck" being chanted. I don't think anyone should be getting offended. Grow some thicker skin.

HOWEVER. Chanting "you suck" when we are down is RETARDED. It is so immensely stupid its embarrassing. Look, I can MAYBE understand chanting it if we are 1) ahead or 2) score a go-ahead goal. But for those instances where we are getting spanked and score one goal we really need to not chant "you suck"...especially when we are the ones sucking it up.

I am totally in favor of changing the goal song. But it needs to be voted on by the fans. As much as I can't stand the Flyers at least one can chant to the derpy song they use.

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users