Photo

Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1569 replies to this topic

#641 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,827 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

This elitist crap is what's annoying about this debate. Stop pretending you're more mature than everyone who disagrees with you. It's untrue, insulting, and, quite frankly, immature.

Bingo.

HOWEVER. Chanting "you suck" when we are down is RETARDED. It is so immensely stupid its embarrassing. Look, I can MAYBE understand chanting it if we are 1) ahead or 2) score a go-ahead goal. But for those instances where we are getting spanked and score one goal we really need to not chant "you suck"...especially when we are the ones sucking it up.

Why?  Why is it embarrassing to you?  WHO THE HELL CARES, IT'S A CHANT!  It's just a freakin chant, stop reading into it.  I almost interpret it sarcastically if they're losing, but, again, who the hell cares?  I don't understand how people can feel embarrassed about saying "you suck", when it's one of the most mild, harmless things that could possibly be chanted at a sporting event.

"Oh man, I feel so ashamed and embarrassed when we're down a few goals and our fans are saying the other team sucks!  I mean, come on guys, we should be supporting our team!  Because it's not like we can half a dozen other chants that serve that purpose!  Stop being so immature and grow up, this is a hockey game afterall!"   :argh:

I'm so done with this thread though, my head spins every time I check back.  It's just people talking in circles, which is pointless and frustrating.

But here's the surprise Shyamalan twist ending:  I'm not even that big a fan of the "you suck" , I'm really not.  I could do without it and without R&RII (so long as they find an appropriate replacement, not this current awful one), but the reasons people are suggesting in this thread for removing it are absolutely absurd. 

Edited by Devilsfan118, 07 October 2013 - 08:41 AM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#642 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,758 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

I don't even care about the you suck part, I just want the hey song back but people aren't decent human beings because they chant you suck? Come on now, that's a real stretch.

Again if Devils management when in front of 100 Devils fans who are complaining right now on Twitter and Facebook that they want the song back and the Devils management said they can have it back on the condition that they no longer say the "you suck" part, how many do you think would actually take them up on that offer?  I would be shocked if more than 15 or 20 do.

Hell most of the fans on Facebook and Twitter refer to the song as the "hey you suck chant" or "hey you suck song" instead of its actual name.  It shows that the you suck part means more than the actual song or its tradition with the Devils.

#643 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,758 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:44 AM

Bingo.

Why?  Why is it embarrassing to you?  WHO THE HELL CARES, IT'S A CHANT!  It's just a freakin chant, stop reading into it.  I almost interpret it sarcastically if they're losing, but, again, who the hell cares?  I don't understand how people can feel embarrassed about saying "you suck", when it's one of the most mild, harmless things that could possibly be chanted at a sporting event.

"Oh man, I feel so ashamed and embarrassed when we're down a few goals and our fans are saying the other team sucks!  I mean, come on guys, we should be supporting our team!  Because it's not like we can half a dozen other chants that serve that purpose!  Stop being so immature and grow up, this is a hockey game afterall!"   :argh:

I'm so done with this thread though, my head spins every time I check back.  It's just people talking in circles, which is pointless and frustrating.

But here's the surprise Shyamalan twist ending:  I'm not even that big a fan of the "you suck" , I'm really not.  I could do without it and without R&RII (so long as they find an appropriate replacement, not this current awful one), but the reasons people are suggesting in this thread for removing it are absolutely absurd. 

Devils fans did fine for about 25 years without the "you suck" part.  However now you have fans who are whining that they can't cheer it and the only reason they want the R&R part 2 back is so they can chant it, nothing else.

#644 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

I love the passion that the posters in this thread have about a goal song. 

Just goes to show you the Devils did make a mistake taking a song the majority of people seemed to like and secretly changing it without fan input.  Much of this unrest could have been avoided with an announcement on social media and some kind of poll or contest to let fans determine a new song. 

I don't care if you're for or against it.  You guys who are going back and forth in this thread are my kind of people! :thumbsup:

#645 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

Because it's fvcking stupid to tell the team that is NOT SUCKING that THEY SUCK when in reality OUR TEAM IS SUCKING.It makes our fans look like complete knuckleheads. 

Edited by mrthemike, 07 October 2013 - 08:47 AM.

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#646 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,758 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:11 AM

I love the passion that the posters in this thread have about a goal song. 

Just goes to show you the Devils did make a mistake taking a song the majority of people seemed to like and secretly changing it without fan input.  Much of this unrest could have been avoided with an announcement on social media and some kind of poll or contest to let fans determine a new song. 

I don't care if you're for or against it.  You guys who are going back and forth in this thread are my kind of people! :thumbsup:

Thing is if you read through here and through FB and twitter, most fans are not upset about the song but more upset at the loss of being able to chant "you suck" to the other team.  Most even refer to it now as the "you suck chant" or "you suck song".

#647 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,486 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:17 AM

It's hockey. I have no problem with "you suck" being chanted. I don't think anyone should be getting offended. Grow some thicker skin.

HOWEVER. Chanting "you suck" when we are down is RETARDED. It is so immensely stupid its embarrassing. Look, I can MAYBE understand chanting it if we are 1) ahead or 2) score a go-ahead goal. But for those instances where we are getting spanked and score one goal we really need to not chant "you suck"...especially when we are the ones sucking it up.

I am totally in favor of changing the goal song. But it needs to be voted on by the fans. As much as I can't stand the Flyers at least one can chant to the derpy song they use.

NO ONE HERE IS OFFENDED BY YOU SUCK BEING CHANTED.  'That is not it, sit down, don't help anymore'*

...geez.  I mean I know this is the sort of topic where it hurts to read what people are writing sometimes, but no one's offended by it.  

* - http://www.youtube.c...OWz868k#t=3m36s (NSFW)

Edited by Triumph, 07 October 2013 - 09:19 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#648 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

NO ONE HERE IS OFFENDED BY YOU SUCK BEING CHANTED.  'That is not it, sit down, don't help anymore'*

...geez.  I mean I know this is the sort of topic where it hurts to read what people are writing sometimes, but no one's offended by it.  

* - http://www.youtube.c...OWz868k#t=3m36s (NSFW)

I would hope not. We are from Jersey for crying out loud. 

#649 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,112 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

Not a big fan of the new goal song, R&R pt 2 is part of Devils history, but at the same time the "You suck" chant only really works if you aren’t losing the game.

I think "I wanna Rock" by Twisted Sister would be a good goal song. The current song has no energy behind it.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#650 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

I like how the ones who like the you suck chant constantly harp on "tradition"

I bet if devils management went to them and said they can have R&R part 2 back on the condition that you can't say you suck most of them would reject it.

Again after going to about 100 games at the rock over the past 4 seasons alone I can say that at least 80% of the people chanting it are in their teens and twenties.

Honestly, I think that's the best way to do it. Say you can have RR pt 2 back, but no you suck chant..........Then reach out to this board and give us all $100 food and beverage cards to appease us. That would be alright. Didn't the Red Bulls do something like this recently?

#651 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

Because it's fvcking stupid to tell the team that is NOT SUCKING that THEY SUCK when in reality OUR TEAM IS SUCKING.It makes our fans look like complete knuckleheads.

Again with the literal interpretation of it!! I'm sure the fans would like to chant 'Hey, you are not welcome in our house and our team is far more well liked than you visiting lot, so here is our passionate fan base yelling to make you feel unwelcomed!' But yelling 'you suck' is a simpler, truncated version of that. Can the embarrassed few who dont like the chant stop taking it so literally? We yell suck after player intros too, told hof player Brett Hull he sucked in the 2000 scf intros. Does it mean he really does sucks or that we are just an uninformed fan base about his abilities? Lol.. It's a chant that has to do with energy not something that is supposed to hold up in the court of law.

#652 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

I dunno, the fact that this thread has 33 pages is pretty wild. I don't care what is played just as long as we are energetic. I think the probably is RRpt2 created such a terrific buzz that it's going to be tough to replace and everything else will not be liked because all the fans will remember is how much they liked the "you suck" song.

#653 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,758 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:30 AM

Honestly, I think that's the best way to do it. Say you can have RR pt 2 back, but no you suck chant..........Then reach out to this board and give us all $100 food and beverage cards to appease us. That would be alright. Didn't the Red Bulls do something like this recently?

Why would they have to bribe you to not chant it?  We all know that without a bribe at least 80% of the fans would never agree to it.

#654 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

Again with the literal interpretation of it!! I'm sure the fans would like to chant 'Hey, you are not welcome in our house and our team is far more well liked than you visiting lot, so here is our passionate fan base yelling to make you feel unwelcomed!' But yelling 'you suck' is a simpler, truncated version of that. Can the embarrassed few who dont like the chant stop taking it so literally? We yell suck after player intros too, told hof player Brett Hull he sucked in the 2000 scf intros. Does it mean he really does sucks or that we are just an uninformed fan base about his abilities? Lol.. It's a chant that has to do with energy not something that is supposed to hold up in the court of law.

You equate "You suck" to "Hey, you are not welcome in our house and our team is far more well liked than you visiting lot, so here is our passionate fan base yelling to make you feel unwelcomed"? 

That might be the problem. That's not what it means. "You suck" is generally interpreted at "You are bad at what you are trying to do". It can be used to get under someones' skin even if they don't suck. I get that. But it serves no purpose other than to make us look like a stupid fanbase to chant it when we are getting spanked. That's my issue.  

Edited by mrthemike, 07 October 2013 - 11:41 AM.

#655 P-Way Chief 11

P-Way Chief 11

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

I can't believe so many people are up in arms about the "You Suck" chant. Get over yourselves. This is hockey, not golf. Have any opposing players ever complained about it? Saying "You Suck" is not as bad as some other fans (like throwing a banana on the ice).

With three other major teams in our area (with huge fanbases), we needed something that would make our fans loud and energetic during games and chanting "You Suck" was a big part of that. I don't know what’s more embarrassing, chanting a slightly derogatory phrase (even when we are losing), or having opposing fans in our own building be louder than we are half of the time.

I think we all can agree it needs to be changed, either back to RR pt 2 or something else that can be voted on by fans.

#656 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

Why would they have to bribe you to not chant it?  We all know that without a bribe at least 80% of the fans would never agree to it.

They wouldn't have to bribe me. I just want free stuff for nothing, lol. I did think it would appease some people though. Might work. Might also be a big waste because everyone took the bribe then chanted you suck anyways.

#657 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

http://youtu.be/IxuThNgl3YA?t=4m21s

or

http://youtu.be/rdFyx_Tp41o?t=1m6s

Posted Image

#658 dmon2010

dmon2010

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

Wow... can't believe this thread got this long so quickly.  I liked the old song.  I liked it with the "You suck" and everything.  If we're worried about what people are going to think of us based on a chant at a game, that's messed up.  Half the shows TV and cable air are a lot worse.  Does that mean they shouldn't be aired anymore because people will think the networks are foolish?  I don't think so.  It's just a chant that  actually gives most of the fans a chance to make some noise because they're happy.  Doesn't even necessarily mean that we really think they suck.  Its just for entertainment.  Don't see what the big deal is.  Besides, as a fan base we could really stand to make a little more noise anyway. 

People shouldn't take things so seriously.  Just my 2 cents.

Edited by dmon2010, 08 October 2013 - 11:51 AM.

#659 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

Wow... can't believe this thread got this long so quickly.  I liked the old song.  I liked it with the "You suck" and everything.  If we're worried about what people are going to think of us based on a chant at a game, that's messed up.  Half the shows TV and cable do a lot worse.  Does that mean they shouldn't be aired anymore because people will think the networks are foolish?  I don't think so.  It's just a chant that  actually gives most of the fans a chance to make some noise because they're happy.  Doesn't even necessarily mean that we really think they suck.  Its just for entertainment.  Don't see what the big deal is.  Besides, as a fan base we could really stand to make a little more noise anyway. 

People shouldn't take things so seriously.  Just my 2 cents.

best post yet

Devils.

#660 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

Just use this song.

http://youtu.be/pJ0xZDuuJjA?t=2m12s

Devils.