Photo

Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1569 replies to this topic

#721 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:08 PM

Yet another way that the manner in which this was handled backfired...now you've got enough of the "you suck"ers determined to say fvck you right back.  Even if they didn't intend for this to happen, there's clearly very much an "Us vs. Them" thing going on now.  The organization could've worked with their fans on this, but chose to work against them.  So stupid and preventable. 

Bingo. Had they done this the right way of course you still would've had people who didn't like it, but not nearly what you have now. Some people might've still tried to start chants and boo, but it would've been isolated. Now it's become a united effort of fans who are pissed off and are gonna rebel because well, fvck you, that's why. Work with the fans and some will turn and join your cause and work with you and might even try to get other fans to see the other side. Blindside the fans and well, you have a united enemy and a sh!tstorm on your hands. It's gonna be an interesting next couple of home games and frankly, I'm kinda excited to see how this plays out.

believe-devs.jpg

#722 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:40 PM

im really not opposed to changing the goal song, they just should have a vote like the Islanders did on there website for a goal horn.  They had the fans vote on the top 3 or 4 songs PICKED BY THE PLAYERS.   The devils should just do something like that, but at least let the paying fans vote bc clearly there front office has BAD taste in what makes a good goal song. 

#723 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

New Devils goal song, book it!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=KHQBxbcK3PU

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#724 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,229 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:00 PM

Damage control really shouldn't be that hard...hell, the schedule couldn't be more conducive to that, with the nice long road trip.

A public apology would help immensely...yeah, it will be some emotionless, stiffly-written dreck authored by another corporate snooze, but it least it would show that the organization is aware that its poorly thought out "Plan A" pissed off its fans, and wants to make amends. 

Then involve the fans from here on out.  Hell, the Islanders involving the players was a great idea...really helps the fans to feel more of a connection to them, even if it's on a pretty minor level.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 07 October 2013 - 08:01 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#725 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:06 PM

My ticket rep just emailed me telling me he doesn't think the new song is permanent.

Edited by Mike Brown, 07 October 2013 - 08:06 PM.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#726 NJDEVS1730

NJDEVS1730

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:09 PM

My ticket rep just emailed me telling me he doesn't think the new song is permanent.

I hope to god it's not haha

#727 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,229 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

Well, duh, bringing that disaster back would basically be telling the fans, "We don't care what you think, this your goal song and you're going to like it, end of story!"  The Devils might have been oblivious to how this would turn out, but no way in hell were they oblivious to the actual results.  No way they can possibly give that song a second game, unless they REALLY want to prove to their fanbase that they don't give a damn about them.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 07 October 2013 - 08:11 PM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#728 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:11 PM

im really not opposed to changing the goal song, they just should have a vote like the Islanders did on there website for a goal horn.  They had the fans vote on the top 3 or 4 songs PICKED BY THE PLAYERS.   The devils should just do something like that, but at least let the paying fans vote bc clearly there front office has BAD taste in what makes a good goal song. 

This x100000000000

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#729 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:19 PM

Giving your fans the finger is never a good idea, and that's how this comes off. Like I've said, I don't have a problem with the organization deciding that R&R Part 2 had run its course, but they couldn't have possibly handled it any worse than they did, and I'm amazed that there was absolutely zero common sense behind how it was handled.

Be friggin' HONEST with your fanbase. Tell them that you are indeed doing away with R&R Part 2, and tell them WHY. Do it well ahead of time, so the fans have time to digest and accept the idea. Yes, there would have been some backlash initially, but it's amazing what being forthright will do for you.

After that, make it clear that you are accepting suggestions, and open up a link where suggestions can be sent. Also make it clear that the five most-sent-in suggestions will be posted, and the final choice will be put to a fan vote. If the higher-ups are THAT concerned about "suck" making its way into the new goal song, then find the top five that aren't really conducive to "suck" being a part of it.

No, not everyone will be happy with the final choice (and no song exists that is going to have 100% universal appeal), but at least the fans would have felt somewhat involved from the very beginning, which would have made a world of difference. I don't know how this got so loused up, but I'd LOVE to discuss it with the idiots who were clearly clueless here. The thought process had to have been comical in its incompetence.

Perfectly said.
Posted Image

#730 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:59 PM

Per reddit...

http://www.reddit.co...al_song_update/

News from the front lines::
The organization had a meeting today about this topic. The HEY song will NOT be coming back. They have refused it to be present in the arena. That being said they will put several songs up for vote to the fan base. I think it will be 3 but I am not 100% sure. Either way the HEY YOU SUCK song is gone. They understand that the fanbase is upset over the change however they feel that a change is necessary.
The crazies have confirmed what I have heard on their facebook as well.
So to keep this subreddit clean(er) please keep the posts about the goal song to a minimum from this point forward

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#731 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:03 AM

Keep losing games and they'll bring it back right quick

#732 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,954 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:05 AM

What a great plan by the Devils management actually:

You have a song that most fans absolutely love. You know they will not be receptive to change or any fan voting at first for a new song. So you choose the worst song imaginable for a goal song so that fans after a while say. "fvck it, that's so bad, that I'll take a new song. Let's just pick something that isn't Bon Jovi as our goal song."

Edited by devilsrule33, 09 October 2013 - 04:35 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#733 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,774 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:30 AM

Maybe this should be our goal song--it's easy to chant along to, is celebratory instead of derogatory towards opponents, and won't offend anyone!

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#734 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:42 AM

Per reddit...

http://www.reddit.co...al_song_update/

News from the front lines::
The organization had a meeting today about this topic. The HEY song will NOT be coming back. They have refused it to be present in the arena. That being said they will put several songs up for vote to the fan base. I think it will be 3 but I am not 100% sure. Either way the HEY YOU SUCK song is gone. They understand that the fanbase is upset over the change however they feel that a change is necessary.
The crazies have confirmed what I have heard on their facebook as well.
So to keep this subreddit clean(er) please keep the posts about the goal song to a minimum from this point forward

If this is in fact true, can we as a fanbase please respect their decision?  What if this mysterious email was from a major sponsor rep?  I have a feeling each and every one of you would listen to the people who really have your financial backing.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#735 UnderDogX

UnderDogX

Graphics Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:38 AM

Hey, I think I'm starting to get the Devils' thinking this year. "The New Jersey Devils: Where the only thing worth caring about is the goal song! (which we won't hear very often)"  haha...

'05-'06 Hobey Baker Award Winner (Best Rookie Poster)

*click click* *whistle whistle* "Its my thing, my trademark...its what I do."

#736 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,229 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:56 AM

What a great plan by the Devils management actually:

You have a sock that most fans absolutely love. You know they will not be receptive to change or any fan voting at first for a new song. So you choose the worst song imaginable for a goal song so that fans after a while say. "fvck it, that's so bad, that I'll take a new song. Let's just pick something that isn't Bon Jovi as our goal song."

I have to admit, this actually crossed my mind...after "This is our house", hey, ANY goal song will seem like an improvement!

If this is in fact true, can we as a fanbase please respect their decision?  What if this mysterious email was from a major sponsor rep?  I have a feeling each and every one of you would listen to the people who really have your financial backing.

The problem is that respect is a two-way street.  Sure, a lot of fans weren't going to be happy to see R&R Part 2 go away for good, but I think if asked, most of them would've been at least open to the idea of a replacement, provided it was handled correctly, with their input.  Devils did it in a way that was heavy-handed and short-sighted, and I've already gone into detail into how it could've been done in a manner that would have led to some fuss, but at least wouldn't have made the organization look incredibly out-of-touch with its fanbase...like I've said, at least respect the fans enough to tell that them that you ARE making a pretty significant change, WHY are you making it, and make it clear that R&R Part 2 is never coming back.  It is NOT too much to ask the Devils to be upfront...why they thought changing the goal song had to be some classified covert operation...just ridiculous.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 08 October 2013 - 07:13 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#737 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:06 AM

The problem is that respect is a two-way street.  Sure, a lot of fans weren't going to be happy to see R&R Part 2 go away for good, but I think if asked, most of them would've been at least open to the idea of a replacement, provided it was handled correctly, with their input.  Devils did it in a way that was heavy-handed and short-sighted, and I've already gone into detail into how it could've been done in a manner that would have less to some fuss, but at least wouldn't have made the organization look incredibly out-of-touch with its fanbase...like I've said, at least respect the fans enough to tell that them that you ARE making a pretty significant change, WHY are you making it, and make it clear that R&R Part 2 is never coming back.  It is NOT too much to ask the Devils to be upfront...why they thought changing the goal song had to be some classified covert operation...just ridiculous.   

I absolutely 100% agree with everything you just said.  I just don't want this to be some sort of pissing match between the fans and management.  

I saw a good post on HF about the "you suck" chant that made a lot of sense.

"Here's the cool thing. They're not telling you that you can't chant that. Well, technically they do when they do the announcement about profanity and all of that stuff. But no one listens to that anyway. Regardless, you can still yell whatever the hell you want. They're just not playing along with it, serving as enablers, and providing a flash point for these chants. If you're so inclined to do so, you have to do it/start it up on your own. They don't throw people out for yelling Rangers Suck, but they stopped playing the musical prompt years ago. They know they can't eliminate it, but they stopped contributing to its presence. That's the same deal here. Not some grand gesture in censorship and a form of a dictatorship."

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#738 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,229 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:20 AM

I absolutely 100% agree with everything you just said.  I just don't want this to be some sort of pissing match between the fans and management.  

I saw a good post on HF about the "you suck" chant that made a lot of sense.

"Here's the cool thing. They're not telling you that you can't chant that. Well, technically they do when they do the announcement about profanity and all of that stuff. But no one listens to that anyway. Regardless, you can still yell whatever the hell you want. They're just not playing along with it, serving as enablers, and providing a flash point for these chants. If you're so inclined to do so, you have to do it/start it up on your own. They don't throw people out for yelling Rangers Suck, but they stopped playing the musical prompt years ago. They know they can't eliminate it, but they stopped contributing to its presence. That's the same deal here. Not some grand gesture in censorship and a form of a dictatorship."

In bold:  I don't think anyone did, but the Devils unwittingly let loose with the first stream. 

The funny thing is, if the Devils had made an official statement similar to the one in quotes, I think a lot of fans actually would've understood that reasoning for getting rid of R&R Part 2.  Not all would've agreed with it, and you'd get your share of "What, are the Devils trying to turn the games into church now?" and other crap, but at least the fans would've been given the all-important WHY, straight from the horse's mouth, and I think, at the very least, the fans would've respected the Devils' stance.   

#30 FOREVER!

#739 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:31 AM

In bold:  I don't think anyone did, but the Devils unwittingly let loose with the first stream. 

The funny thing is, if the Devils had made an official statement similar to the one in quotes, I think a lot of fans actually would've understood that reasoning for getting rid of R&R Part 2.  Not all would've agreed with it, and you'd get your share of "What, are the Devils trying to turn the games into church now?" and other crap, but at least the fans would've been given the all-important WHY, straight from the horse's mouth, and I think, at the very least, the fans would've respected the Devils' stance.   

Listen I absolutely agree with you.  TG shouldn't have made that initial comment without following up on it imo.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#740 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:54 AM

The Bon Jovi song was designed to piss off the fans and shake things up apparently. Our owners are twisted sick bastards. They wanted to put their foot down with the suck chants and thought putting an atrocious song would get the attention.

There will be 3 choices for a new song we can vote after the 3 home games played, assuming we don't get shut out lol.

In short we have control freak owners with very evil ideas to get their way.

Edited by ZeroGravityFat, 08 October 2013 - 07:58 AM.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users