Photo

Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1569 replies to this topic

#741 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:09 AM

The Bon Jovi song was designed to piss off the fans and shake things up apparently. Our owners are twisted sick bastards. They wanted to put their foot down with the suck chants and thought putting an atrocious song would get the attention.

There will be 3 choices for a new song we can vote after the 3 home games played, assuming we don't get shut out lol.

In short we have control freak owners with very evil ideas to get their way.

It's better to have these owners with no financial rain cloud over us.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#742 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,159 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

The Bon Jovi song was designed to piss off the fans and shake things up apparently. Our owners are twisted sick bastards. They wanted to put their foot down with the suck chants and thought putting an atrocious song would get the attention.

There will be 3 choices for a new song we can vote after the 3 home games played, assuming we don't get shut out lol.

Evil geniuses, really.

Happy to see this thread has progressed to actual discussion though, but I can't wait to see what we can vote on.  I mean, I would imagine they'll be decent options.. just hope Ole isn't on there :lol:

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#743 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

ha, so we vote for the song we can still find vulgar ways to chant to...or did they pick certain songs where it wouldn't work....

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#744 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,730 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:02 AM

This is funny, but here's what really ticks me off about this whole thing, and then I'm done with it until I see what Step 2 brings:

Some little smug corporate nudge(s) probably made this decision after several meetings with a bunch of other little smug corporate nudges, all of whom likely have multiple pieces of paper hanging behind their desks, and all of whom think those pieces of paper make them brilliant in all respects, though it's been proven that there are several types of intelligence, and that there's no correlation to being a book-smart geek and having any clue as to what paying customers actually want.  

I'm not surprised people on here are agreeing with my posts.  There's nothing profound in any of them.  They're all based on simple common sense, and based from a fan view standpoint (which I'm almost positive none of the smug little corporate nudges bothered to get when they came up with their brilliant idea).

I don't have a degree or degrees in the fields that these zilches do, but to me (and many others) it's pretty obvious what should have been done here to avoid the sh!tstorm that has resulted:

1) Let the fans know via website exactly what your plans are, prior to the preseason.  (We're killing R&R Part 2, permanently, we're doing so for the following reasons, we're open to fan suggestions on possible replacements, but we will not bring back R&R Part 2 under any circumstances).  Word should get around to the point that not too many fans are going to be surprised when they don't hear R&R Part 2 at the home opener.

2) Test-drive some new songs during preseason.  If one of them gets an overwhelming positive response, it's the new goal song.  If none get anything great, but one is deemed tolerable, announce that this will be the temporary song until a better replacement is found, but that the search remains ongoing. 

But I can almost hear the drivel that these out-of-touch little dweebs said during one of their meetings (when they weren't meeting about when to have the next meeting):

"You know, this 'you...um...stink' thing is really getting out of hand.  I don't like it.  We need to do something about it."

"Maybe we should have the fans write in some suggestions, put up a poll, the one with the most votes wins."

"C'mon, we don't need to do that...waste of time and resources.  Hell, we don't even need to tell anyone what we're doing.  Think about...the fans are from New Jersey.  They love all things Jersey, even the toxic waste, every last one of 'em...just a bunch of sheep.  As long as it's something by that Bon Govi guy or that Brad Springfield..." 

"You mean Bon Jovi or Bruce Springsteen?"

"You knew what I meant, Devils from Jersey, those guys from Jersey, fans from Jersey...see where I'm going with this?  LIGHTBULB!"

"Yeah, but, I think that other song's kind of a staple...a tradition, if you will...I think the fans once got so ticked that that song was taken away, they actually fought to get it back."

"Meh, I'm telling you, Jersey team, Jersey fans, Jersey artists...wearing jerseys no less"  (sucks in gut as he looks at himself in mirror)  "DAMN YOU'RE GOOD!"

"Well, maybe we should let them know what we're doing, at least warn them that..."

"No no NO!  Bubb-ie!  We'll just surprise 'em with it!  Jersey people LOVE surprises, I'm telling ya!  They won't know what hit 'em!  They'll be blown away by how ahead of the curve we are!  I'm telling you, we've got this thing licked!"  (winks at self in mirror)  "Wait till you see how this goes over.  I can't wait to hear what they'll be saying about us!" 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#745 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,159 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

That's freakin brilliant :lol:

Edited by Devilsfan118, 08 October 2013 - 09:25 AM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#746 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:45 AM

honestly i dont know who these new owners think they are over here just coming storming in and changing our song on us and sh!t... they only own the team but with out us sitting in their seats im pretty sure they wouldnt be making any money. There for their main concern and focus should be keeping us happy and giving us what we want..
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#747 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

honestly i dont know who these new owners think they are over here just coming storming in and changing our song on us and sh!t... they only own the team but with out us sitting in their seats im pretty sure they wouldnt be making any money. There for their main concern and focus should be keeping us happy and giving us what we want..

Yeah! The nerve of them! Who the hell are they to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to rescue the franchise from debt and (possible) league takeover. To provide the financial security the organization has never enjoyed before and are willing to provide that to win. To leave a HOF executive to do his thing and not interfere. To commit to the state of NJ and finally have the resources to keep the team here long term. To have a plan to market them the way they should have been for 30 years. THE shame on these new owners!!! Who do they think they are? 

#748 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:57 AM

The more I think about this and read CR1976's posts, the less open I am to any ideas because it's all true. Time for a war. If my team is gonna suck and my coach isn't gonna make moves to fix it then I'm gonna boo every new goal song they trot out because fvck you, that's why.

But seriously, I have no faith that any of these 3 new songs are gonna be good whatsoever. Ugh.

oKCiNj.jpg

#749 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:04 AM

I'm surprised nobody's thought of the remote possibility that maybe Lou wanted to change the goal song. I can see someone like Jeff Vanderbeek butting heads with Lou on that and choosing to keep it.

But maybe with the new management, Lou finally got his way? I mean, when you look at the tight ship army that Lou runs on all levels of the business, this seems like the most likely scenario for me. Do you really think Lou enjoys sitting in the box every game listening to us all scream "HEY! YOU SUCK!"...?

Edited by DJ Eco, 08 October 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#750 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:04 AM

Yeah! The nerve of them! Who the hell are they to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to rescue the franchise from debt and (possible) league takeover. To provide the financial security the organization has never enjoyed before and are willing to provide that to win. To leave a HOF executive to do his thing and not interfere. To commit to the state of NJ and finally have the resources to keep the team here long term. To have a plan to market them the way they should have been for 30 years. THE shame on these new owners!!! Who do they think they are?

Thats exactly what im saying!... uh i was clearly joking, im sorry you werent able to pick up on that.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#751 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:07 AM

Thats exactly what im saying!... uh i was clearly joking, im sorry you werent able to pick up on that.

Alrighty then  :whistling:

#752 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,730 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

The more I think about this and read CR1976's posts, the less open I am to any ideas because it's all true. Time for a war. If my team is gonna suck and my coach isn't gonna make moves to fix it then I'm gonna boo every new goal song they trot out because fvck you, that's why.

But seriously, I have no faith that any of these 3 new songs are gonna be good whatsoever. Ugh.

In fairness, I'm not attacking the new owners, just the particular people who handled the whole goal song fiasco.  One small spoke on a much larger wheel.  I'm sure the owners (who probably have a hell of a lot more on their plate than worrying about goal songs) said to a few someones "You take care of this."

This ownership group appears to have deep pockets and a willingness to put money into all parts of the franchise.  We'll learn more about them as time goes on, but that's a good start.     

As for the on-ice product, too early to say how good or bad they'll be...it's clearly a work in progress.  Coaches and GMs are going to be more patient than fans are though.  They rarely do things on our (more reactionary) timetable. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#753 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

I'll believe the commitment of the new owners to financing and marketing this team when I actually see it.  All owners come in saying great things, no matter how rich they are.  They're like politicians promising the moon to their constituents.  Plus, it's no secret that they wanted the arena and basically had no choice but to buy the team with it.  For me, their actions will speak louder than words and, thus far, their actions have pissed off a large part of the fanbase (monitoring ticket resales, changing the goal song) which is not a great way to start things out. 

The lack of ticket deals thus far is more concerning from my point of view.  Not because I need them for myself.  But because we couldn't even sell out on opening night, a Friday no less, against the Islanders.  That's not a good sign for things to come, like a Wed. game vs. Columbus or Carolina.  I personally would rather have a full building (like most of last season) than worry about my ticket resale value as a STH.

Posted Image

#754 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

In bold:  I don't think anyone did, but the Devils unwittingly let loose with the first stream. 

The funny thing is, if the Devils had made an official statement similar to the one in quotes, I think a lot of fans actually would've understood that reasoning for getting rid of R&R Part 2.  Not all would've agreed with it, and you'd get your share of "What, are the Devils trying to turn the games into church now?" and other crap, but at least the fans would've been given the all-important WHY, straight from the horse's mouth, and I think, at the very least, the fans would've respected the Devils' stance.   

I agree with this. It would have been so easy to say that due to pressure from sponsors, networks, etc, we've agreed to change the goal song. We'll work with fans to pick a new one. All they had to do was be slightly open. But the opening night ambush was sad. Watching 17,000 people trying to figure out what the hell was playing instead of the goal song we'd all grown used to was more uncomfortable than any 'you suck' chant.

Edited by Devil Dan 56, 08 October 2013 - 10:33 AM.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#755 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:42 AM

Out of curiosity, was there ever a R&R Part 1?

#756 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

#757 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,730 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

The Islanders used to use it.  I think they were the only ones who ever did, while everyone else went with R&R Part 2.

from about :46 to 1:06...that's what the Islanders played.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 08 October 2013 - 11:01 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#758 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,159 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:04 AM

How...HOW?  HOW did I not know there was a R&R PT 1? 

I even recognize :46-1:06 from the Isles, like CR1976 mentioned.

believe-ll.jpg

#759 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,894 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

This is funny, but here's what really ticks me off about this whole thing, and then I'm done with it until I see what Step 2 brings:

Some little smug corporate nudge(s) probably made this decision after several meetings with a bunch of other little smug corporate nudges, all of whom likely have multiple pieces of paper hanging behind their desks, and all of whom think those pieces of paper make them brilliant in all respects, though it's been proven that there are several types of intelligence, and that there's no correlation to being a book-smart geek and having any clue as to what paying customers actually want.  

I'm not surprised people on here are agreeing with my posts.  There's nothing profound in any of them.  They're all based on simple common sense, and based from a fan view standpoint (which I'm almost positive none of the smug little corporate nudges bothered to get when they came up with their brilliant idea).

I don't have a degree or degrees in the fields that these zilches do, but to me (and many others) it's pretty obvious what should have been done here to avoid the sh!tstorm that has resulted:

1) Let the fans know via website exactly what your plans are, prior to the preseason.  (We're killing R&R Part 2, permanently, we're doing so for the following reasons, we're open to fan suggestions on possible replacements, but we will not bring back R&R Part 2 under any circumstances).  Word should get around to the point that not too many fans are going to be surprised when they don't hear R&R Part 2 at the home opener.

2) Test-drive some new songs during preseason.  If one of them gets an overwhelming positive response, it's the new goal song.  If none get anything great, but one is deemed tolerable, announce that this will be the temporary song until a better replacement is found, but that the search remains ongoing. 

But I can almost hear the drivel that these out-of-touch little dweebs said during one of their meetings (when they weren't meeting about when to have the next meeting):

"You know, this 'you...um...stink' thing is really getting out of hand.  I don't like it.  We need to do something about it."

"Maybe we should have the fans write in some suggestions, put up a poll, the one with the most votes wins."

"C'mon, we don't need to do that...waste of time and resources.  Hell, we don't even need to tell anyone what we're doing.  Think about...the fans are from New Jersey.  They love all things Jersey, even the toxic waste, every last one of 'em...just a bunch of sheep.  As long as it's something by that Bon Govi guy or that Brad Springfield..." 

"You mean Bon Jovi or Bruce Springsteen?"

"You knew what I meant, Devils from Jersey, those guys from Jersey, fans from Jersey...see where I'm going with this?  LIGHTBULB!"

"Yeah, but, I think that other song's kind of a staple...a tradition, if you will...I think the fans once got so ticked that that song was taken away, they actually fought to get it back."

"Meh, I'm telling you, Jersey team, Jersey fans, Jersey artists...wearing jerseys no less"  (sucks in gut as he looks at himself in mirror)  "DAMN YOU'RE GOOD!"

"Well, maybe we should let them know what we're doing, at least warn them that..."

"No no NO!  Bubb-ie!  We'll just surprise 'em with it!  Jersey people LOVE surprises, I'm telling ya!  They won't know what hit 'em!  They'll be blown away by how ahead of the curve we are!  I'm telling you, we've got this thing licked!"  (winks at self in mirror)  "Wait till you see how this goes over.  I can't wait to hear what they'll be saying about us!" 

If they were intent on changing the song, whether or not because of "you suck", they were really in a no win situation.  Announce it ahead of time, you'll get the same backlash, which is arguably worse in that management is consciously not listening to the fans.

In hindsight, the best course of action would have been to go with the new song during preseason and let the "you suck" people vent while no one is really watching.  By the time the season started, perhaps the outrage would have died down, and maybe they could have settled on something optimal when the regular season started. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#760 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,047 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

The Rangers suck, flyers swallow fans better watch out. There will be roving Politically correct police in the stands with batons soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users