Photo

Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1569 replies to this topic

#761 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,368 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

If they were intent on changing the song, whether or not because of "you suck", they were really in a no win situation.  Announce it ahead of time, you'll get the same backlash, which is arguably worse in that management is consciously not listening to the fans.

In hindsight, the best course of action would have been to go with the new song during preseason and let the "you suck" people vent while no one is really watching.  By the time the season started, perhaps the outrage would have died down, and maybe they could have settled on something optimal when the regular season started. 

I mentioned in previous posts that backlash was inevitable, but being upfront with the fans (and then involving them) would've been a hell of a lot better than blindsiding them at the home opener, when most of the fans in attendance had no idea they were in for a little surprise.  Playing R&R Part 2 during the preseason didn't exactly help their cause either. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#762 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

I mentioned in previous posts that backlash was inevitable, but being upfront with the fans (and then involving them) would've been a hell of a lot better than blindsiding them at the home opener, when most of the fans in attendance had no idea they were in for a little surprise.  Playing R&R Part 2 during the preseason didn't exactly help their cause either.

I agree if they knew they were going to change the song they shouldve done it for the first game of the pre season. . I think the fans were annoyed that they were expecting one thing and as soon as it came on they were blindsided
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#763 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,368 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

I agree if they knew they were going to change the song they shouldve done it for the first game of the pre season. . I think the fans were annoyed that they were expecting one thing and as soon as it came on they were blindsided

Yeah...we're so against R&R Part 2, we need to change it, but we'll continue to play it during the preseason like it's not an issue, and not let the fans have any involvement in the replacement, or even let them know that a replacement is even in the works?!  WTF?!? 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#764 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

People got up to cheer as always after the first goal and felt kinda stupid that they didnt know what was going on.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#765 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

I'll believe the commitment of the new owners to financing and marketing this team when I actually see it.  All owners come in saying great things, no matter how rich they are.  They're like politicians promising the moon to their constituents.  Plus, it's no secret that they wanted the arena and basically had no choice but to buy the team with it.  For me, their actions will speak louder than words and, thus far, their actions have pissed off a large part of the fanbase (monitoring ticket resales, changing the goal song) which is not a great way to start things out. 

The lack of ticket deals thus far is more concerning from my point of view.  Not because I need them for myself.  But because we couldn't even sell out on opening night, a Friday no less, against the Islanders.  That's not a good sign for things to come, like a Wed. game vs. Columbus or Carolina.  I personally would rather have a full building (like most of last season) than worry about my ticket resale value as a STH.

Having a jaded or a "show me the money" attitude is not uncommon given how sports owners and politicians treat the public. We're all guilty of that to an extent. What's scary is how people are acting over a goal song and a grade school mentality chant. It's like Harris and Blitzer changed the uniforms. Or the Cup banners. Fired Lou. Slashed payroll to line their pockets back from the team sale. Or made players do a fashion show with clothes designed by Sean Avery  :angry:

It's beyond foolish and immature and unfortunately it's coming from a certain age group and man-children who haven;t matured one bit since.

Edited by TheRedStorm, 08 October 2013 - 12:15 PM.

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

#766 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

Having a jaded or a "show me the money" attitude is not uncommon given how sports owners and politicians treat the public. We're all guilty of that to an extent. What's scary is how people are acting over a goal song and a grade school mentality chant. It's like Harris and Blitzer changed the uniforms. Or the Cup banners. Fired Lou. Slashed payroll to line their pockets back from the team sale. Or made players do a fashion show with clothes designed by Sean Avery  :angry:

It's beyond foolish and immature and unfortunately it's coming from a certain age group and man-children who haven;t matured one bit since.

its not about maturity it was just a fun chant that has been around forever... it was a tradition. They came in and just decided to get rid of a tradition which is why this entire thing is going on.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#767 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,555 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

The chant hasn't been around forever.  I don't remember it happening before they took R&R Part 2 away the first time, but some people do - I've listened to some videos of 2006 goals and I don't really hear it.  It's been around for 5 years tops.  

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#768 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,215 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:30 PM

Yeah! The nerve of them! Who the hell are they to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to rescue the franchise from debt and (possible) league takeover. To provide the financial security the organization has never enjoyed before and are willing to provide that to win. To leave a HOF executive to do his thing and not interfere. To commit to the state of NJ and finally have the resources to keep the team here long term. To have a plan to market them the way they should have been for 30 years. THE shame on these new owners!!! Who do they think they are? 

I know I'm late getting to this but I agree 100%. As long as these owners pump $ into the on ice product and allow Lou to do his thing then I'll be happy.

The Rangers suck, flyers swallow fans better watch out. There will be roving Politically correct police in the stands with batons soon.

Funny you mention this because I could see a New Yankee Stadium situation playing out. NYS is heavily PC policed nowadays. I stopped sitting in the bleachers because I actually enjoy sitting somewhere where I can see the whole field, but from last I checked, the bleacher creatures can't even chant "box seats suck" anymore at the end of roll call. I've heard horror stories of people getting reprimanded or tossed out for heckling the opposition or walking around during GBA. Not to mention the NYS staff has a horrible reputation, especially with the whole have's/have nots country club mentality of the new stadium - look no further than the Rivera bobblehead fiasco.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#769 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

5 years is plenty long enough for it to have became a tradition which it is.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#770 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,368 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

The chant hasn't been around forever.  I don't remember it happening before they took R&R Part 2 away the first time, but some people do - I've listened to some videos of 2006 goals and I don't really hear it.  It's been around for 5 years tops.  

I remember hearing it for the first time around 2003 (and being kind of surprised by it), for whatever that's worth, but it was a much smaller group of people doing it.  It took a while (several seasons), but eventually it was an audible majority taking part.

#30 FOREVER!

#771 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:41 PM

5 years and a Stanley Cup finals fun that included vanquishing the Rags....who lets face it, suck.

#772 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:25 PM

Happy medium...go old school and play "Whoomp There It Is" like they did for a few seasons in the 90's.

#773 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

Happy medium...go old school and play "Whoomp There It Is" like they did for a few seasons in the 90's.

HAH i like this.

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#774 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,854 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

I remember that and it only happened for 1 season or less in the mid 90's.

Back then when it happened people were confused and a little upset, but the crowd got a little bit into in the brief time it was played.  Back then you didn't have the crowd boo the song and had a bunch of whiny fans complaining that the Devils took their song away.

#775 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,215 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:41 PM

I'd support this.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#776 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

Gary Glitter is one creepy looking dude.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#777 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:13 PM

I remember that and it only happened for 1 season or less in the mid 90's.

Back then when it happened people were confused and a little upset, but the crowd got a little bit into in the brief time it was played.  Back then you didn't have the crowd boo the song and had a bunch of whiny fans complaining that the Devils took their song away.

I remember that. And sometimes they alternated if there were multiple goals in a game every one would be either R&R2 or Whoomp

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#778 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

The chant hasn't been around forever. I don't remember it happening before they took R&R Part 2 away the first time, but some people do - I've listened to some videos of 2006 goals and I don't really hear it. It's been around for 5 years tops.

I have a vague recollection of hearing it at the games during the 2006 Devils-Ranger playoff series.

EDIT: And if I'm right, it was during game 1 of that series, at a point in the game when the chant was totally appropriate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Daniel, 08 October 2013 - 05:27 PM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#779 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

I don't really remember it either, but to be fair, post lockout, pre-move that place was a graveyard

#780 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:58 PM

What does everyone think of this:

https://soundcloud.c...ong-light-em-up

n2eg.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users