Photo

Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1569 replies to this topic

#821 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

It wasn't even close to that.  All it takes is a few thousand people to do anything in unison for it to be really noticeable. 

To say my peace, I've been going to games longer than 99 percent of the people that did the You Suck chant.  I can guarantee all of you, it only became a "tradition" when you decided to make it one.  The proof of this is available for all to see on any youtube clip of any home game going back to 2006.  The you suck types stubbornly refuse to acknowledge this.

It didn't offend me, I wasn't concerned about the delicate sensibilities of the children, and I didn't complain to management.  It was just stupid, immature, and for the most part, out of place.

It's too bad, because RR2 itself was an actual tradition, and a good one at that.  The you suck people did not stop me from going to games, but it certainly made the high points of the game less enjoyable.   

Hopefully, going forward, the people that are still butt hurt over the song can live with it, the same as the rest of us who put up with the you suck chant did for several years. 

Perfectly said.

Ok but we aren't talking about that.  We are talking about the goal song.  None of the goals scored in that series had "you suck" when R&R part 2 was played.

This as well.  This "tradition" isn't even that old.

The video brings up another good point: player introductions.

I am in the camp where I do not like the "you suck" chant, but for reasons other than it being a dirty word.  However it seems management is kinda indicating to people the reason they got rid of it was because they feel like it offends some people and they got feedback from it.

Well if that was the case, then they are being hypocrites.  The reason I say that is during every game when Kevin Clark does the visiting team's starting lineups, he PAUSES after every name to give the crowd time to yell "sucks!"  This is basically the Devils endorsing the use of the word during the lineups, but then having a problem with the word during the goal song.

I was at the Barclays Center game this year and when the announcer read off the Devils starting lineup, he read through them so fast that most people in the arena could not get the chance to say "sucks!" after each name.

It's actually kind of funny.  Because other teams' fans will actually do it when our scratches are announced.  So Kevin Clark gives the visiting fanbase a fair crack as well.  It's all just in good fun though regarding player introductions "sucks" chants.

By management's own thinking, that doesn't make it right.  The "you suck" chant is in multiple NHL venues as well, and they are getting rid of that.  The team is being hypersensitive on this one part, but it turns out that they are hypocrits as they turn a blind eye to the "suck" chant during player introductions.  Can definitely see them having Kevin Clark speed through introductions like the MicroMachines Man or getting rid of the opposition introductions all together once the PC police turn their attention to this other "tradition."  

I actually enjoy yelling "sucks" during visiting team intros.  But if they did this, I wouldn't be upset over it.

It's in *one* venue now, Nashville, and it's got like a whole song that goes along with it - the Islanders got rid of R&R Part 2 and while their fans are still upset about it (it seems) they have moved on. 

Nashville plays "I like it I love it" sung by Tim McGraw.  That is their true goal song.  Rock and Roll part 2 comes after.  You can't hear it on tv like you can our "you suck" chant.  That does make a difference imo.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#822 NJDEVS1730

NJDEVS1730

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

The sharks use it...watch last night's highlights...

#823 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

The sharks use it...watch last night's highlights...

They use an instrumental version of the song played by their organist.  I don't think they chant "you suck" either.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#824 NJDEVS1730

NJDEVS1730

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:30 PM

They use an instrumental version of the song played by their organist.  I don't think they chant "you suck" either.

But they still use the "song." Isn't that half of the argument...

#825 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:08 PM

It's in *one* venue now, Nashville, and it's got like a whole song that goes along with it - the Islanders got rid of R&R Part 2 and while their fans are still upset about it (it seems) they have moved on. 

not really true, i do go to alot of islander games bc of how close they are to my house and chant to the beat of the song.  they still do the rangers suck song every game which everyone chants in (a great part of the game for the fans)

#826 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:37 PM

Not sure if it was mentioned in another post, but I just got off the phone with my devils fan experience rep and she said that at the next home games they are going to try out 3 different songs and have the fans vote on it via social media. She said that as many people that have complained about the goal song change there were just as many softies who were complaining about the “you suck” in the goal song. She said that it is definitely changing and not going to be rock and roll part 2 in the near future. It was the new president’s idea.

from a tg article

-http://blogs.northje...h.fGQedUPU.dpuf   3rd comment

sorry if this was already posted

#827 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

can we please not boo next home game?

I get many are hurt over the fact the song is gone, but we sound stupid as hell booing goals cause many outside of our fan base understand why there's booing.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#828 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,507 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:33 PM

I get many are hurt over the fact the song is gone, but we sound stupid as hell booing goals cause many outside of our fan base understand why there's booing.

Stupid people are going to boo, but there's not much you can do about it.

Just hope they find a suitable replacement. If these three options suck, I'm going to be pretty pissed.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#829 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:57 PM

It depends on what the argument is.  :lol:

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#830 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:05 PM

not really true, i do go to alot of islander games bc of how close they are to my house and chant to the beat of the song.  they still do the rangers suck song every game which everyone chants in (a great part of the game for the fans)

People against "you suck" are talking about specifically goals.  It's just not an appropriate time to chant it.

Not sure if it was mentioned in another post, but I just got off the phone with my devils fan experience rep and she said that at the next home games they are going to try out 3 different songs and have the fans vote on it via social media. She said that as many people that have complained about the goal song change there were just as many softies who were complaining about the “you suck” in the goal song. She said that it is definitely changing and not going to be rock and roll part 2 in the near future. It was the new president’s idea.

from a tg article

-http://blogs.northje...h.fGQedUPU.dpuf   3rd comment

sorry if this was already posted

Yes this has been posted in the thread.

For some reason we are way too attached to this song for whatever reason.  I still don't understand why it's a big deal at all.

Stupid people are going to boo, but there's not much you can do about it. Just hope they find a suitable replacement. If these three options suck, I'm going to be pretty pissed.

Lets say all three choices do suck.  Will you seriously let it bother you that much?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#831 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:14 PM

Lets say all three choices do suck.  Will you seriously let it bother you that much?

I'll answer this. In a word: yes. I'm a season ticket holder and let me tell you how much a good goal song can make a difference. I've only missed a handful of games the past two seasons (I wanna say 4), and it's a grind. There are days where I'm just not mentally there as a crowd member and then the goal song hits and fvck yeah, I'm into it and losing my mind with everyone else. If the song sucks, it's gonna kill a BIG part of the experience and make the season drag. Also, just the fact that after YEARS of hearing bullsh!t about our crowd, it would really be disappointing if the new song was just something that the crowd couldn't get into it because the environment has really been awesome as of late and it would suck to lose that.

Edited by PWW, 09 October 2013 - 10:14 PM.

believe-devs.jpg

#832 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:18 PM

I'll answer this. In a word: yes. I'm a season ticket holder and let me tell you how much a good goal song can make a difference. I've only missed a handful of games the past two seasons (I wanna say 4), and it's a grind. There are days where I'm just not mentally there as a crowd member and then the goal song hits and fvck yeah, I'm into it and losing my mind with everyone else. If the song sucks, it's gonna kill a BIG part of the experience and make the season drag. Also, just the fact that after YEARS of hearing bullsh!t about our crowd, it would really be disappointing if the new song was just something that the crowd couldn't get into it because the environment has really been awesome as of late and it would suck to lose that.

Yea but it's the crowd that creates the atmosphere.  The goal song doesn't.  If the goal song was what made the atmosphere in an arena, then practically 3/4 of the arenas would be dead.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#833 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:22 PM

Yea but it's the crowd that creates the atmosphere.  The goal song doesn't.  If the goal song was what made the atmosphere in an arena, then practically 3/4 of the arenas would be dead.

Yes, but it facilitates that atmosphere. Without one, you don't have the other, and vice versa. You also need a good team to cheer. There are a lot of things that go into it and without any of them it just isn't the same. I mean, go no further than the reaction on the first goal at home, even before the booing. It was just stunned nothing. The right goal song makes a world of difference.

believe-devs.jpg

#834 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,916 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:35 PM

Do they use R&R Part 2?  No, they don't.  They still use the 'Let's Go Band', but they do not play R&R Part 2.

When I said there was an additional component to the Nashville 'You suck!', there's other lyrics in addition to shouting 'You suck', I never knew what they were, but googling it shows that it exists.

No.  I love R&R Part 2 - even though it was written by a scummy human being - and so do a lot of fans around the NHL.  Most of them aren't compelled to shout 'You suck!' at.. their own team?  The other team?  Well, someone sucks, and in Nashville, they're going to hear about it, at least.  

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#835 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:52 PM

wah wah wah.. i honestly can believe this thread is still going on here over a song!.. we should just show them they cant change us no matter what song they choose just continue to chant the you suck
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#836 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:05 PM

wah wah wah.. i honestly can believe this thread is still going on here over a song!.. we should just show them they cant change us no matter what song they choose just continue to chant the you suck

You can.  But unless you find a way to incorporate "you suck" into the goal song, the organization would still be the victor.

Yes, but it facilitates that atmosphere. Without one, you don't have the other, and vice versa. You also need a good team to cheer. There are a lot of things that go into it and without any of them it just isn't the same. I mean, go no further than the reaction on the first goal at home, even before the booing. It was just stunned nothing. The right goal song makes a world of difference.

The goal song is still not needed to have a great crowd atmosphere.  Most baseball teams don't have home run songs.  Most football teams don't have touchdown songs.  They simply let the crowd noise be audible without the presence of a song.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#837 Joe B

Joe B

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:00 AM

You can.  But unless you find a way to incorporate "you suck" into the goal song, the organization would still be the victor.

The goal song is still not needed to have a great crowd atmosphere.  Most baseball teams don't have home run songs.  Most football teams don't have touchdown songs.  They simply let the crowd noise be audible without the presence of a song.

you can get a you suck, rangers suck or some other variation of suck chants in most songs.  And if not, I'm betting the crowd will stat chanting it after the new bell when anouncng the goals.  Thats a great time for some chant so somethings gonna come up.  Is the chicken dance going away?  happy and you know it?  YMCA, even the birthday song.  

I could hear a 'fvck you fvck ball' in honor of Gandolfi and Dennis Farina after every goal regardless of song. New owners say you suck doesn't sound so bad now.

What does a guy owning a philly basketball team or and ex msg operator know about family atmosphere?  And didn't this franchise go away from family atmosphere when you move to Newark?

Joe

#838 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:12 AM

It'll be one hell of a pyrrhic victory at the pace things are going.   Mike, dude, for someone who doesn't care about this, you've kept the thread alive almost singlehandedly for a week

#839 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:09 AM

For some reason we are way too attached to this song for whatever reason.  I still don't understand why it's a big deal at all.

I don't think fans are that attached to the song.  I think most of them would've been very open to the idea of a new goal song, provided the Devils didn't handle it in the worst possible way.  The way the Devils went about it is why fans are hanging onto it so much...it has much more to do with principle than the song itself...the song is now more of a rallying point than a nostalgic one.   

Maybe one of these days, someone who should know better will realize that there's much better ways to effect change than ramming something down people's throats without their consent.  There would have been some resistance to changing the goal song, but nothing like what we've seen, and this all could've been so much more painless with just the slightest bit of foresight and planning.  I'm still baffled that someone thought this would be a great idea, and that others signed off on it.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 10 October 2013 - 06:10 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#840 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:38 AM

Again, I didn't say it was needed. I said it helped. Bottom line, when you have a struggling team AND a crappy goal song, the crowd reaction will suffer. However, a good goal song that people can get behind can get the crowd into it even when the team isn't playing all that great because they simply enjoy doing it.

Edited by PWW, 10 October 2013 - 07:38 AM.

believe-devs.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users