Photo

Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1569 replies to this topic

#1101 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:40 PM

Here's my take on the You Suck chant from tonight. I actually don't hate it as much as I did the You Suck with RR2.

The window to get in the You Suck chant with 7 Nation Army is a lot smaller than with RR2. That means the timing has to be perfect. To get 15,000+ fans to time it perfectly would be next to impossible. People who don't like the chant can still sing along to the song. With that, it means the singing will mask the You Suck chant a little. And with all of that in mind, the You Suck chant won't be as resounding on TV, nor would it be as audible as it was with RR2. It's much tamer.

As for the YT above, the reason it was clearly audible was because the guy with the phone was chanting it.

I could faintly hear it on the tv, but i was listening for it. Couldve been in my head i suppose

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#1102 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:41 PM

I thought it wasnt bad. I think its going to be hard to break the habit of fans chanting you suck. If that is the reason they are changing the song, altering human behavior seems pointless

#1103 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:46 PM

I could faintly hear it on the tv, but i was listening for it. Couldve been in my head i suppose

I wouldn't mind 7 Nation Army as our goal song if that is the You Suck chant that is gonna come with it.  I'm anticipating a You Suck chant with whatever song we get.  If we have to have a You Suck chant, I wouldn't mind this.

I thought it wasnt bad. I think its going to be hard to break the habit of fans chanting you suck. If that is the reason they are changing the song, altering human behavior seems pointless

Fans were singing it very loud tonight though.  And the YS chant wasn't nearly as loud or aggressive as it was with RR2.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#1104 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:52 PM

A night we beat the rags 4-0 is the night you're really gonna get the Y S chant as loud as ever...no matter what song they played

#1105 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:54 PM

A night we beat the rags 4-0 is the night you're really gonna get the Y S chant as loud as ever...no matter what song they played

I honestly don't think it was THAT loud tonight.  The section that started it was actually right above me.  The crazies aka 233 was right above me.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#1106 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:58 PM

I honestly don't think it was THAT loud tonight.  The section that started it was actually right above me.  The crazies aka 233 was right above me.

yeah..just saying if the Devils played the Blue Jackets tonight and were down 3-1, you probably wouldnt have heard much of the YS

But Devil fans seeing the queen get lit up an us not giving up any is cause for all kinds of celebration

#1107 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:05 PM

yeah..just saying if the Devils played the Blue Jackets tonight and were down 3-1, you probably wouldnt have heard much of the YS

But Devil fans seeing the queen get lit up an us not giving up any is cause for all kinds of celebration

I do have a confession to make.  I was actually partaking in the YS chant tonight simply because it was the Rags.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#1108 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:15 PM

I do have a confession to make.  I was actually partaking in the YS chant tonight simply because it was the Rags.

thats what I mean...tonight was, who cares about right and wrong......we're beating the crap out of the rags !!!!!!!!!!!

#1109 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:36 PM

What are you talking about, you really think they are going to play the song they are trying to get rid of?

pzIug.gif

Thats not the point he was making though. The organization presented a vote to the fans with no restriction re RnR2. they cheated at their own contest.

For our entire existence the biggest knock against our club was the lack of fans, attendance, arena atmosphere, etc...The you suck chant was a chant that organically grew and brought the majority of fans screaming in unison to taunt the opposition. It wasn't noise encouraged by the Jumbotron or some marketing campaign, but rather thru a natural enjoyment from the fans to cheer their team. And you couldn't get a chant more Jersey. Taking this away to appease a few stuck up individuals is a reminder that the club isn't for the fans.

Edited by devlman, 19 October 2013 - 11:44 PM.

#1110 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:40 PM

So apparently, these a-holes who MUST chant you suck will eventually cause the Devils to either play the organ or no song at all after a goal.

Great job.

#1111 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:42 PM

So apparently, these a-holes who MUST chant you suck will eventually cause the Devils to either play the organ or no song at all after a goal.

Great job.

LOL.   Yeah, making no artificial noise would sure as hell drown those chants out, some of you guys seriously have too much respect for authority.   Must root for Ted Knight in Caddyshack or something.

Edited by maxpower, 19 October 2013 - 11:42 PM.

#1112 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:45 PM

A YouTube that was posted on HF...yep, you can clearly hear the four letter word Devil management hates.

Either they'll have to give up the ghost or find a sing that's you suck-proof.  And I don't know if they can find one, since Devil fans are clearly set on chanting it.

Lmao, got a good laugh out of this one. I can dig it

#1113 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:29 AM

Thats not the point he was making though. The organization presented a vote to the fans with no restriction re RnR2. they cheated at their own contest.

Well yeah but it was obvious they weren't going to use it even if it won the vote.  Do you really think they were going to just say, "Well it had the most votes, guess we'll have to keep it now!"  It was understood that no matter the outcome, Rock and Roll Part 2 was not going to win.  I'm bummed about losing our goal song, but to be bitter about them not going back to it after it receiving the most votes is kind of childish in my opinion.  Everyone knew it was going to have the most votes, it's the song we are all accustomed to and it's not like there is a short list of other songs to choose from, the other possibilities are literally any other song you could think of.  With votes being distributed among that many possible choices, clearly R&R Part 2 was going to win in a landslide.

Also I'm sure any songs that end up getting near the top in votes have to be something that the gameday operations or fan experience department are happy with.  This isn't a congressional vote, they are just gathering fan feedback to help them make their decision with a side benefit of collecting more email addresses to add to their contact list in the process.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#1114 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:10 AM

I'll sing along to seven nation army every night if it means we're winning 4-0...

#1115 brodeurfanatic

brodeurfanatic

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

woo!

I'm happy and glad that this song was played and was a popular song choice.

I hope they keep it!! It sounded awesome on the MSG feed and on that YT clip!

There isn't any other goal song other than RRP2 that can top this.

Easy for the fans to get into!

Posted Image
Thanks for the sig UnderdogX

---

"He loves the game, he has God-given talent and we're just glad he's in our pipes," - Lou Lamoriello vs Flyers on 4/1/06

---

Official NJDevs.com Keeper Of Brodeur's Coach Jacques Caron
Official NJDevs.com Keeper Of Special Assignment Coach Pat Burns

Starting a Game Thread Record ~ 4-1-0-1

#1116 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

Great job.

Again, can't see the hate toward that chant... sure is it a little silly chanting it when we're down by 3 and just finally scored one, yes, but when you're dominating, why not?

Unfortunately, due to the fact they can still fit "You Suck" in, I'll be surprised to see this one make it to becoming the final goal song. The butthurt owners are too much of a bunch of Political Correctness Nazis

Edited by Legion15, 20 October 2013 - 10:23 AM.

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#1117 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

I could have sworn they were playing the Hell's Bells bell just after the song/goal announcement.

I'm glad some sanity prevailed, now I don't have to dread a stupid crowd reaction.  Hopefully this or whatever becomes the goal song is a halfway decent choice and people can move on with their lives.  I actually think this might work, although I'm shocked people didn't start going 'oh...oh oh oh you suck'.

It took 1 goal, but by the second goal the crowd in my section was doing it and it got louder with each successive goal. Give it few games and it will catch on throughout the arena. The only difference is that they play the music so loud, and there are no breaks in the beat like Rock and Roll part 2, that it is not as audible on TV.

The song itself was fine, but this song still lends itself to the you suck chant and I would bet it catches on as the season goes along.
Posted Image

#1118 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

YS=classless   the owners/Lou trying to clean it up?  Like trying to teach dogs to sing. Oh well, I guess there are bigger fish to fry.

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#1119 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

How is it ok to do it for this new song but not the old one? A little hypocritical if you ask me. If the crowd does the chant to the new goal song, the I now expect management to change it to another song since they will not have accomplished what they sought to do...eradicate the chant.

I'm glad the crow found a way to protest the new goal song in a way other than booing. I hope this keeps up all season. Will be interesting to see how management handles it once they realize they can't control what this crowd chants during a game.
Posted Image

#1120 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

You really shouldn't have said that. You basically just admitted that any and all opposition you had to the chant is utter bullsh!t and that you are an immense hypocrite.

And you could hear the chant on TV, it wasn't that hard to hear. 7 Nation Army blew as a goal song, it only sounded good because we were kicking the Rangers asses.

Edited by ATLL765, 20 October 2013 - 11:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users