Photo

Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1569 replies to this topic

#1241 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

No, the reason there was no one there is zero marketing effort and awful fan relations. But the song has nothing to do with that, obviously.

and the on ice product isnt exactly fun to watch

#1242 losdiablos103

losdiablos103

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:51 PM

The goal song tonight sucked, too.  

OLE BOUNCING SOULS!  At least puts energy in, and it's easy to sing to.

Posted Image Posted Image

#1243 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,443 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:55 PM

I almost couldn't blame the fans for booing after the first one just because it was so bad...almost couldn't blame them.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1244 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

I almost couldn't blame the fans for booing after the first one just because it was so bad...almost couldn't blame them.

I have no idea who (if anyone) voted for that. I've never even heard of the artist and I write for a music site. I thought Devils fans were pimping out FOB, My Chemical Romance and Gaslight Anthem. I was expecting one of those three tonight. Not some random ass "Monster Truck" song. (LOLWHO)

It sounded like a bunch of noise tonight. Random ass noise and I have no idea how anyone could say that was a good goal horn. It deserved the Bon Jovi response that it got tonight because I think managment is just pulling our chain and picking their own songs with a winner already in mind.

n2eg.jpg

#1245 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,179 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

That song was horrendous tonight, completely horrendous. Can't clap to it, can't sing to it.

#1246 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:19 PM

That song was horrendous tonight, completely horrendous. Can't clap to it, can't sing to it.

Just the way management and the select minority group of fans want it.

Edited by TheMazz, 24 October 2013 - 10:20 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#1247 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,120 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:23 PM

building was pretty dead tonight. Only 13,200 and it looked it. Haven't seen that small a crowd in a while.

Even that section 122 group sounded subdued. It also sounded like they got marching orders. Whenever a "Rangers Suck/Flyers Swallow/Crosby Watches chant got started they tried to drown it out with Lets Go Devils.

I don't even remember what the goal song was. Some generic rock tune. Didn't sound too terrible. I was just happy to see a goal in person. But after the song stopped playing there were very audible boos. And it wasn't just 1 section. It was coming from all sides

I hated the atmosphere today. You have RR part 2 gone, people booing after goals, Diablos under surveillance, obscene chants still going on, Diablos shouting down obscene chants, still some audible YOU SUCKS after goals.

what a mess

Edited by '7', 24 October 2013 - 10:33 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#1248 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:26 PM

building was pretty dead tonight. Only 13,200 and it looked it. Haven't seen that small a crowd in a while.

Even that section 122 group sounded subdued. It also sounded like they got marching orders. Whenever a "Rangers Suck/Flyers Swallow/Crosby Watches chant got started they tried to drown it out with Lets Go Devils.

I don't even remember what the goal song was. Some generic rock tune. Didn't sound too terrible. I was just happy to see a goal in person. But after the song stopped playing there were very audible boos.

It wasn't even a good generic rock tune. It just sounded like jumbled noise. It brought nothing to the atmosphere of the building whatsoever. This doesn't even have to do with being able to chant "You suck" to it. You couldn't even chant HEY! HEY! HEY! or anything at all to that thing. There was quite a bit of booing by my section after the song was over.

Edited by TheMazz, 24 October 2013 - 10:27 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#1249 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,443 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:28 PM

I don't even remember what the goal song was. Some generic rock tune. Didn't sound too terrible. I was just happy to see a goal in person. But after the song stopped playing there were very audible boos.

Oh they definitely got marching orders...they wouldn't chant 'WE ARE...JERSEY!' on their own volition :lol:  Kinda sad really, me and Zubie#8 were making puppet jokes about it.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#1250 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,443 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:31 PM

I have no idea who (if anyone) voted for that. I've never even heard of the artist and I write for a music site. I thought Devils fans were pimping out FOB, My Chemical Romance and Gaslight Anthem. I was expecting one of those three tonight. Not some random ass "Monster Truck" song. (LOLWHO)

It sounded like a bunch of noise tonight. Random ass noise and I have no idea how anyone could say that was a good goal horn. It deserved the Bon Jovi response that it got tonight because I think managment is just pulling our chain and picking their own songs with a winner already in mind.

It was 'Righteous Smoke' by Monster Truck.  The only reason I know that is they posted it on the jumbotron during warmups.  I think it's the Calgary Flames' goal song too, but I don't get how that could EVER work as a goal song really.

At this point I wouldn't be shocked if the owners were just picking their own generic stuff after the fans annoyed them with the 'you suck' chants Saturday night. 

#1251 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:34 PM

It was 'Righteous Smoke' by Monster Truck.  The only reason I know that is they posted it on the jumbotron during warmups.  I think it's the Calgary Flames' goal song too, but I don't get how that could EVER work as a goal song really.

At this point I wouldn't be shocked if the owners were just picking their own generic stuff after the fans annoyed them with the 'you suck' chants Saturday night. 

Didn't the Flames use Barbera Streisand at one point? That shows how much they know about picking goal songs. 

I believe that threory as well. Especally since I didn't read ONE Devils fan on the two fan boards I go on mention that song.

n2eg.jpg

#1252 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,120 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:35 PM

Oh they definitely got marching orders...they wouldn't chant 'WE ARE...JERSEY!' on their own volition :lol:  Kinda sad really, me and Zubie#8 were making puppet jokes about it.

The WE ARE....JERSEY stuff was cringe worthy. I know that's a slogan on the Devils intro video but it just sounds too contrived and a rip off of one of the college chants (is it We Are Penn State?) I don't see it ever becoming a thing.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#1253 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:41 PM

The WE ARE....JERSEY stuff was cringe worthy. I know that's a slogan on the Devils intro video but it just sounds too contrived and a rip off of one of the college chants (is it We Are Penn State?) I don't see it ever becoming a thing.

I really was close to yelling "PIPE IT!" I love the concept of the Diablos. I think there are a few posters that are apart of the Diablos. However I know I'll get heat for this but I think that whole section and group is close to jumping the shark and becoming a group of sell outs.

n2eg.jpg

#1254 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,026 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:48 PM

The goal song tonight sucked, too.  

OLE BOUNCING SOULS!  At least puts energy in, and it's easy to sing to.

So help me God if this becomes our goal song again..

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#1255 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:58 PM

I'm at the point where I really don't care what the goal song is as long as it's something that brings some energy to the building. Tonight's song was AWFUL. Absolutely killed any life the crowd had. Between that and the fact that no music from the past two decades was played, it really felt like I was back in CAA tonight.

believe-devs.jpg

#1256 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,443 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

I really was close to yelling "PIPE IT!" I love the concept of the Diablos. I think there are a few posters that are apart of the Diablos. However I know I'll get heat for this but I think that whole section and group is close to jumping the shark and becoming a group of sell outs.

Well with $100 season tickets they are pretty much obligated to follow the Devils' wishes, both tacitly and overtly.

And yes it felt like the morgue tonight.  I really don't remember whether it was as dead as it was early two years ago, but it seems like it wasn't quite that dead most of the time.

#1257 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:28 PM

Like Fonzie in happy days, they have completely jumped the Shark...although it seems like it has been forced upon them by management. Completely sad.
Posted Image

#1258 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:13 AM

$100 season tickets

What now?

Philly owner comes in and destroys the franchise in less than a month. I smell a conspiracy. Whos with me?

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#1259 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,070 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:47 AM

It jumped the shark the moment that group went from being the supporters to the diablos. Buying your way into the "super fan section" is not exactly grass roots. They were never really as loud most nights as they claimed they were as well.

#1260 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,511 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:01 AM

And this is a problem.  There's a lot of mistrust right now, as far as these new owners go.  They may have deep pockets, but they're coming off as cold, corporate, incompetent stereotypes, who don't seem to have much of a concept with how to deal with their fanbase.  I really think they would've been better served sitting back for a year, watching 41 home games (and hopefully some additional home playoff games), then implementing attempts at changing the atmosphere more subtlely and slowly. 

I don't know whose idea this was, but for some reason, they've decided to let go with both barrels, with the fanbase directly in the crosshairs.  And what makes is a bit scary is that the guys who think declaring war on their fanbase is good idea don't seem to have any idea of common-sense timing, or how to implement new policies.  The on-ice product is off to a slow start, and this coming off last year's finish has several fans leery enough as it is...let's face it, it's not like the Garden, where Ranger fans show up no matter how bad the team is.  This team is not giving much of the "I'm not doing anything tonight, maybe I'll go to the Pru Center and watch the Devils" crowd much motivation to go spend money.  So NOW it's time to crack down on "you suck" and everything else, and make fans feel like they're sitting in the principal's office?  And not only do they take away R&R Part 2, but they do it in a way that clearly had no regard for the fans?  Sure, they tried to follow up their colossal fvck-up with putting on the appearance of doing it "the right way", with a fan poll for a new goal song, but these two potential replacements I've heard so far reek of yet more out-of-touch corporate dweebs picking songs that THEY think will work, and trying to sell it off as "Hey, you fans picked these, not our fault!" 

As far as "you suck" and R&R Part 2 go, NJDevs4978 pretty much summed me up perfectly, in that I was pretty neutral.  I didn't parttake in "you suck" because it wasn't my thing.  I loved R&R Part 2, but would be OK with a change if it made sense.  But I think it's no longer about either "you suck" or R&R Part 2.  It's about an ownership that seems to be 100% clueless when it comes to dealing with "the little people" (because that's how they seem to regard their fanbase so far)...it's almost like they feel unmasked contempt towards them.  I wish I knew what it was exactly are they trying to accomplish.  Blow out the current fanbase and replace it with people who never swear and sip their beers? 

Sure, in a perfect world, like in, say, Fantasyland, fans would never get into fights with each other, would never use bad language in front of children, would know how much alcohol they could consume before the a$$hole switch flicks, etc.  But it's not very realistic...there will always be fans who take things too far.  And right now it doesn't seem like the atmosphere at the Rock is getting any better...granted, it's only been three home games, but I also think NJDevs4978 was spot-on when he said ownership is fighting a war which it's probably not going to win, especially since they completely bypassed any sense of diplomacy in declaring it.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 25 October 2013 - 07:03 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users