Photo

Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1569 replies to this topic

#1281 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:40 PM

Sadly, this is something I can see this ownership group doing within the next three seasons, I really can.  A third jersey (that's not an X-mas one), at the very least.

Our jerseys are among the best non original six jerseys in the league. Doesn't need "modernizing" at all. I don't want to see the Devils becoming "that team" that has a different jersey scheme every five years.

Edited by TheMazz, 25 October 2013 - 01:41 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#1282 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

Our jerseys are among the best non original six jerseys in the league. Doesn't need "modernizing" at all. I don't want to see the Devils becoming "that team" that has a different jersey scheme every five years.

Me neither, and I wouldn't touch the current ones, but I am starting to get the gut feeling that this ownership truly wants to make the Devils THEIR own. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1283 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

To go from finally packing home games with loud crowds, to this...and it's only October

Exactly. We fought for years and years, withstood decades of an awful location and ownership unwilling to do anything to raise the exposure of this team in the community and get people in the building, we FINALLY broke through. The place was packed every night for a pretty terrible team. And we were seeing a real transition. I was never prouder to be a Devils fan when I saw a sold out place absolutely rocking for weekday games against not so high profile opppsition. It took 30 years to realize, and it took a summer and three games for it to come crashing down.
And with the culture of our crowd, all of the constant, organic chants that echoed through the building from the drop of the puck until the end of the third, theres not a better building in hockey when its full.

Edited by thecoffeecake, 25 October 2013 - 01:54 PM.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#1284 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

Me neither, and I wouldn't touch the current ones, but I am starting to get the gut feeling that this ownership truly wants to make the Devils THEIR own. 

I shudder to think what management wants to make the Devils. Ugh. This team needs/needed a rich version of Vanderbeek. Not this.

Edited by TheMazz, 25 October 2013 - 02:01 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#1285 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:06 PM

Agree on this being a real possibility. With Lou now gone from the business side of things, this can now go on without really much to say from Lou

Lou has been really against third jerseys for years. Hell just to bring back the Christmas ones took JVB to really force it through Lou as Lou has said in the past at jerseys shows he doesn't like the old colors because it represents the "old losing devils." I think Lou gave in as it wasn't really a huge step in a different direction at all and we are far enough removed from the switch in 92 that its basically a distant memory now. However I can see Lou possibly drawing a line with the ownership and new CEO if a completely different jersey is force upon his team and we could see some behind the scenes fireworks going on.

There is nothing I can imagine that could be worse than if they ever changed the jerseys. 3rd jersey's SUCK unless they're actual jersey's from the past. Even then it's eh.

#1286 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:15 PM

There is nothing I can imagine that could be worse than if they ever changed the jerseys. 3rd jersey's SUCK unless they're actual jersey's from the past. Even then it's eh.

The worst part is due with the NHL's contract with Reebok, any design changes would most definitely have and would require input from Reebok "designers."  I shudder at even thinking what that brain trust would come up with.

#1287 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:16 PM

I shudder to think what management wants to make the Devils. Ugh. This team needs/needed a rich version of Vanderbeek. Not this.

But it's better to be in bankruptcy and league controlled rather then get your way with a goal song, a juvenile chant and a bunch of imaginary thoughts and fears about things that aren't even feasible right now like uniforms. OK!  :thumbsup:

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

#1288 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:18 PM

But it's better to be in bankruptcy and league controlled rather then get your way with a goal song, a juvenile chant and a bunch of imaginary thoughts and fears about things that aren't even feasible right now like uniforms. OK!  :thumbsup:

This is the way I see it for the most part.  I mean I'd rather have some stiff suits run the team than a guy who while as nice as he is, can barely hold on to the team and is nickel and diming everything.

#1289 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:18 PM

I'd love to see the retros come back more then once. Maybe once a month. In today's NHL style they look too good to wear only once.

Edited by TheRedStorm, 25 October 2013 - 02:19 PM.

#1290 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

Hey if you rather attendence be like it was last night and have a completely dead atmosphere because you are worried over a goal song there you go, you saw the results. I never said I wanted Vanderbeek back. I said for a rich owner with deep pockets that is actually a fan of the team and cares about the fanbase. These guys come off as way too corperatey.

Like I said. Those who are willing to sh!t-can their ticket plans over the goal song are completely vaild in their reasoning. The atmosphere of a building is just as important as the on-ice product and right now both are complete sh!t.

Edited by TheMazz, 25 October 2013 - 02:22 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#1291 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:25 PM

Unfortunately, everything CR1976 says is pretty dead on. They want this to be THEIR team with THEIR idea of fans, and that idea doesn't seem to involve the hardcore fans who appreciate the tradition of the franchise and team (and no, I'm not referring to 'you suck' when I say tradition). I mean this is a team that oozed hard work and discipline on the ice and was the antithesis of the flashy Rangers with their army of uninterested suits in the lower bowel. Sadly, this seems to be the crowd that these new guys are primarily going for. To take away an admittedly controversial but mostly enjoyed (or ignored) chant, and then to go after the people who try to make noise and get the crowd involved and threaten to take their tickets, it just smacks of corporate take over.

Within the next year, Lou will leave. He won't watch them tearing down what he built. They will have their 3rd jerseys, and maybe even 'update' the regular ones for their 'brand'. It's about a lot more than the goal song.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#1292 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:25 PM

There is nothing I can imagine that could be worse than if they ever changed the jerseys.

Completely agree. I had a nightmare once that they changed the logo. A literal nightmare. If they ever changed anything, i might actually throw up. The thing is, Lou is the one thats always been very stern about keeping the 2 traditional jerseys and leaving them alone. I think if he tells ownership that its simply how things are here, and they will face serious negative fan reaction if they ever do that, theyll probably listen. Theyre getting a first hand account of how Devils fans value their traditions with this goal song fiasco, im sure they could bet this is a minor reaction compared to what they would face if they touched the jerseys.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#1293 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:26 PM

Hey if you rather attendence be like it was last night and have a completely dead atmosphere because you are worried over a goal song there you go, you saw the results. I never said I wanted Vanderbeek back. I said for a rich owner with deep pockets that is actually a fan of the team and cares about the fanbase. These guys come off as way too corperatey.

Like I said. Those who are willing to sh!t-can their ticket plans over the goal song are completely vaild in their reasoning. The atmosphere of a building is just as important as the on-ice product and right now both are complete sh!t.

I really don't know how you can blame last nigh's atmosphere and attendance on the stupid goal song?  Are you serious?

Again the Devils are bottom 5 in the league, lost 2 star players along with 1 fan favorite in the span of 1.5 years, playing a team that the Devils see at most once a season on a weeknight in October.  That's the reason why it is so dead, not some dumb goal song.

For years Devils fans have defended their defensive style of play which lead to many boring games but left us with many wins and cups against dumb Rags fans.  Many Devils fans then argued the one-ice product was more important than having an atmosphere that includes a packed house.  Now it is the reverse or just as important all of the sudden because they changed the goal song?  Can't have it both ways.

Edited by DevsMan84, 25 October 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#1294 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:28 PM

If you're even trying to insinuate that the goal song has anything to do with attendance, you're more far gone then i gave you credit for.

The attendance is down for at least 5 reasons (all previously mentioned) before the goal song/chant/whatever is even a rational thought. 

Harris and Blitzer are what this organization needs to survive. Get used to it, grow up or go cheer for the Rangers. 

#1295 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

I really don't know how you can blame last nigh's atmosphere and attendance on the stupid goal song?  Are you serious?

Again the Devils are bottom 5 in the league, lost 2 star players along with 1 fan favorite in the span of 1.5 years, playing a team that the Devils see at most once a season on a weeknight in October.  That's the reason why it is so dead, not some dumb goal song.

Again. It's because of bad play and bad atmosphere in the building. Give it time and attendence will either be stagnant or dip a little bit more. The team to be fair is in a terrible division so they can always slowly pull things together. Especally with the Hurricanes (who are in 2nd place) and Cam Ward being out of action for some time.

No one wants to go to a hockey game or any sporting event really and be told how to act on that level. There should be a general set of guidelines so it isn't anarchy but it shouldn't be treated like a preschool. That's common sense.

n2eg.jpg

#1296 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

Completely agree. I had a nightmare once that they changed the logo. A literal nightmare. If they ever changed anything, i might actually throw up. The thing is, Lou is the one thats always been very stern about keeping the 2 traditional jerseys and leaving them alone. I think if he tells ownership that its simply how things are here, and they will face serious negative fan reaction if they ever do that, theyll probably listen. Theyre getting a first hand account of how Devils fans value their traditions with this goal song fiasco, im sure they could bet this is a minor reaction compared to what they would face if they touched the jerseys.

There have been many fans who would go out and buy a new design in a heartbeat.  Look at how many people buy those Black Ice jerseys (both official and knockoffs).

#1297 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

If you're even trying to insinuate that the goal song has anything to do with attendance, you're more far gone then i gave you credit for.

The attendance is down for at least 5 reasons (all previously mentioned) before the goal song/chant/whatever is even a rational thought. 

Harris and Blitzer are what this organization needs to survive. Get used to it, grow up or go cheer for the Rangers. 

MSG is more of a morgue then the Rock is. Give that time as well as we'll be right along there. Sorry. Last night was pathetic on all fronts.

Edited by TheMazz, 25 October 2013 - 02:31 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#1298 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,776 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

Again. It's because of bad play and bad atmosphere in the building. Give it time and attendence will either be stagnant or dip a little bit more. The team to be fair is in a terrible division so they can always slowly pull things together. Especally with the Hurricanes (who are in 2nd place) and Cam Ward being out of action for some time.

No one wants to go to a hockey game or any sporting event really and be told how to act on that level. There should be a general set of guidelines so it isn't anarchy but it shouldn't be treated like a preschool. That's common sense.

Devils played in 2000 against Florida to a laughably small crowd given that it was the playoffs.  Yet we still won and we won a lot.  Would you stay home back then because of the bad "atmosphere?"

Last night was the atmosphere Devils fans played in for October games for pretty much every season except the last 2.  Why is it such a huge deal all of the sudden?

Answer:  It's because people can't get over the goal song.

#1299 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

The attendance has nothing to do with the team's slow start or that they missed the playoffs last year or the fact that there was a lockout last season or that the economy is still in shambles...nope it clearly has to do with a goal song.

#1300 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

Devils played in 2000 against Florida to a laughably small crowd given that it was the playoffs.  Yet we still won and we won a lot.  Would you stay home back then because of the bad "atmosphere?"

Last night was the atmosphere Devils fans played in for October games for pretty much every season except the last 2.  Why is it such a huge deal all of the sudden?

Answer:  It's because people can't get over the goal song.

And last night reminded me a lot of CAA minus the winning. Music that is 2-3 decades old and a very quiet arena with hardly any energy from the fans.

n2eg.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users