Photo

Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1569 replies to this topic

#1301 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

Again. It's because of bad play and bad atmosphere in the building. Give it time and attendence will either be stagnant or dip a little bit more. The team to be fair is in a terrible division so they can always slowly pull things together. Especally with the Hurricanes (who are in 2nd place) and Cam Ward being out of action for some time.

No one wants to go to a hockey game or any sporting event really and be told how to act on that level. There should be a general set of guidelines so it isn't anarchy but it shouldn't be treated like a preschool. That's common sense.

No, stop it. Please, i am asking nicely. Even if your theory is even remotely passable then those people i do not consider fans whatsoever.

"Hey, the team sucks, but instead of going to support them even through the bad i'm staying home because some big bad man in a suit told me i can't chant you suck and took my goal song away. But, he can't tell me what to do i'll show him. Besides, I paid my money it's my personal living room!" 

No one should have to tell you how to act. There is a general set of guidelines, go read the Prudential Center Code of Conduct. Hell, just read the state law on public codes of conduct if it's too hard to grasp. Again, when you feel you can walk into an arena and yell "you suck" or any F-bombs, walk into your local mall tonight and yell "you suck" and "F-you" at the first person wearing a shirt of a team you don't like. 

Edited by TheRedStorm, 25 October 2013 - 02:49 PM.

#1302 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

No, stop it. Please, i am asking nicely. Even if your theory is even remotely passable then those people i do not consider fans whatsoever.

"Hey, the team sucks, but instead of going to support them even through the bad i'm staying home because some big bad man in a suit told me i can't chant you suck and took my goal song away. But, he can't tell me what to do i'll show him. Besides, I paid my money it's my personal living room!" 

No one should have to tell you how to act. There is a general set of guidelines, go read the Prudential Center Code of Conduct. Hell, just read the state law on public codes of conduct if it's too hard to grasp. Again, when you feel you can walk into an arena and yell "you suck" or any F-bombs, walk into your local mall tonight and yell "you suck" and "F-you" at the first person wearing a shirt of a team you don't like. 

Because walking into the mall and booing random strangers is the exact same senario as walking into a sporting event and booing opposing teams and players from said opposing teams.

Whatever you say lady.

Edited by TheMazz, 25 October 2013 - 02:41 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#1303 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

Because walking into the mall and booing random strangers is the exact same senario as walking into a sporting event and booing opposing teams and players from said opposing teams.

Whatever you say lady.

some people are down right dramatic..
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#1304 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

Whatever you say lady.

It's about public behavior. You seem to think people should do whatever they want and then try to find some middle ground. It's black or it's white. If you can't go to a game, support your team in a capacity without acting like a juvenile then stay home. I'll respect that, but dont go around and act like spoiled children and man-children because you were *GASP* told what to do in a public place by the OWNERS of the place you were at! Amazing how sports fans have packed arenas and stadiums for a hundred years without chanting "you suck/swallow" and listening to a goal song. How did they ever survive?

Edited by TheRedStorm, 25 October 2013 - 02:52 PM.

#1305 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

You still do not get it and quite frankly you never will. It's about public behavior. You seem to think people should do whatever they want and then try to find some middle ground. If you can't go to a game, support your team in a capacity without acting like a juvenile then stay home. Amazing how sports fans have packed arenas and stadiums for a hundred years without chanting "you suck/swallow" and listening to a goal song. How did they ever survive?

If you call what we've seen the past few games as "middle ground" then :giggle:

n2eg.jpg

#1306 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,949 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:53 PM

Unfortunately, everything CR1976 says is pretty dead on. They want this to be THEIR team with THEIR idea of fans, and that idea doesn't seem to involve the hardcore fans who appreciate the tradition of the franchise and team (and no, I'm not referring to 'you suck' when I say tradition). I mean this is a team that oozed hard work and discipline on the ice and was the antithesis of the flashy Rangers with their army of uninterested suits in the lower bowel. Sadly, this seems to be the crowd that these new guys are primarily going for. To take away an admittedly controversial but mostly enjoyed (or ignored) chant, and then to go after the people who try to make noise and get the crowd involved and threaten to take their tickets, it just smacks of corporate take over.

Within the next year, Lou will leave. He won't watch them tearing down what he built. They will have their 3rd jerseys, and maybe even 'update' the regular ones for their 'brand'. It's about a lot more than the goal song.

Funny DD56, but the bolded...that's how this is feeling to me more and more...like a (hostile) corporate takeover.  And they're not as concerned with fixing or improving aspects of the franchise, or taking their time to accurately assess what the franchise currently is, as they are with making it their own brand...seemingly for the sake of making it their own brand.  And I think their attitude is "If you don't like it, too damned bad, this is how it's going to be."

All this being said, it is what it is.  Clearly the fan-who-grew-up-to-buy-the-team was in over his head financially.  This group is the one that stepped up to buy the team, and as we are getting to know them, we're seeing pros and cons.  The overwhelming pros are that these guys have money (lots of it), and from all appearances will be keeping the team in NJ.  And to be fair, those are MAJOR positives.  We're seeing the cons (and like you, I don't see sacking R&R Part 2 or trying to rid the Rock of "you suck" chants as part of that category).  I can't say for sure what the new owners' vision for the Devils is exactly, but I do think the one you're coming up with is probably in the ballpark.  I think multiple someones now with the Deivls decided they wanted to try to appeal to a different clientele, and they're taking the first steps in trying to make that happen. 

If the Devils are still successful, and the owners are putting money into the on-ice product, and the team is still in NJ and still called the Devils, we'll learn to live with "The New Order".  I'm neutral on most of the other stuff (I don't swill much beer at games (too damned expensive), I'm not a "you suck" participant, I try my best not to curse but sometimes one slips out, and if other fanbases can live without R&R Part 2, so can I).                   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1307 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,276 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

I do wonder if any of you against "you suck" have ever attended an NFL game?  NBA game?  Nascar event?  Soccer match?  I don't care what sport (and I use that term loosely regarding Nascar) you follow, but sporting events typically embrace and promote the wild atmosphere.  People sometimes overstep their boundaries, but this is a freakin hockey game, not a tennis match.  I don't want people sitting in their seats quietly, I want people screaming, shouting and getting wild supporting the team.  And if some people do that in the form of saying 'you suck', then more power to them.  They're not harming me (OR ANYONE ELSE) by saying it, so what's the problem?  Jesus Christ some of you love to make mountains out of molehills.

You want a totally boring and sterile environment?  Stay at home in your living room to watch the game.  Don't try and tell me how to enjoy the game.

/end of overly dramatic post.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 25 October 2013 - 02:56 PM.

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#1308 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

I do wonder if any of you against "you suck" have ever attended an NFL game?  NBA game?  Nascar event?  Soccer match?  I don't care what sport (and I use that term loosely regarding Nascar) you follow, but sporting events typically embrace and promote the wild atmosphere.  People sometimes overstep their boundaries, but this is a freakin hockey game, not a tennis match.  I don't want people sitting in their seats quietly, I want people screaming, shouting and getting wild supporting the team.  And if some people do that in the form of saying 'you suck', then more power to them.  They're not harming me (OR ANYONE ELSE) by saying it, so what's the problem?  Jesus Christ some of you love to make mountains out of molehills.

You want a totally boring and sterile environment?  Stay at home in your living room to watch the game.  Don't try and tell me how to enjoy the game.

/end of overly dramatic post.

Exactly. Hockey is and never really has been a family friendly sport. You want family friendly? Go watch baseball. Perfect example. Not only do I not watch baseball because it's boring game but I've been dragged to games and the "fans" there are more interested in sitting in their seats, texting, walking around the stadium then being loud and supporting their teams. I don't want that. Look at the club seats at the Rock. The people that ARE there don't sit in their seats because they are too busy stuffing their faces and watching the games on TVs.

The NHL is not a TV driven league like the NBA. We need the attendence to really shine through and we need that infectous atmosphere that we've had for a few years now. Right now it's boring on boring with the crap play and crap environment. The fact people are supporting this boggles my mind.

n2eg.jpg

#1309 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:34 PM

Just had an interesting conversation with my high-school buddy who attended the game last night with his 8 year old son.  Growing up, we went to tons of games, as the CAA/BBA was 10-15 minutes from our town.  He doesn't go to nearly as many games since they moved to Newark, but that's besides the point.

Anyway, after the whistle chant (with about 4 minutes to go in a tie game), his son literally asked him, "what does it mean when they say Flyers swallow?"  He told his son he didn't know, and the kid dropped it.  He's now made the decision that he won't be bringing his son to any more games, which basically means he won't go at all.  We talked about how we were pretty rowdy and yelled, screamed, etc back in our college days. but how we would never even consider yelling/chanting something obscene or pretty much R or X rated.  We also discussed how fans (especially younger generations) have this entitlement mindset that they'll do whatever they want, say whatever, etc. because "it's their money" and blah blah blah.

Since I don't have any kids, it's interesting to hear something from a different perspective that I may not have thought about.  And I agree with him 100%.

#1310 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:41 PM

Just had an interesting conversation with my high-school buddy who attended the game last night with his 8 year old son.  Growing up, we went to tons of games, as the CAA/BBA was 10-15 minutes from our town.  He doesn't go to nearly as many games since they moved to Newark, but that's besides the point.

Anyway, after the whistle chant (with about 4 minutes to go in a tie game), his son literally asked him, "what does it mean when they say Flyers swallow?"  He told his son he didn't know, and the kid dropped it.  He's now made the decision that he won't be bringing his son to any more games, which basically means he won't go at all.  We talked about how we were pretty rowdy and yelled, screamed, etc back in our college days. but how we would never even consider yelling/chanting something obscene or pretty much R or X rated.  We also discussed how fans (especially younger generations) have this entitlement mindset that they'll do whatever they want, say whatever, etc. because "it's their money" and blah blah blah.

Since I don't have any kids, it's interesting to hear something from a different perspective that I may not have thought about.  And I agree with him 100%.

i can understand the whole children thing.. which is why i try to watch my mouth when im sitting near any.. but again its a hockey game.. theyre slamming each other shoving checking pushing trying to knock each other's teeth out.. its a rough tough sport to being with.. if your a parent who has an issue with your kid hearing the word suck.. take them to church instead of the game.. some people are over the top completely ridiculous about this entire thing.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#1311 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,893 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

The stiff atmosphere had more to do in the fact that it was October against a team, while somewhat high-profile, we don't have a rivalry with, only see at the Rock at most once a year and on a weekday night.  Also add that the Devils do not have a high-profile player in his prime playing with them anymore and the team hasn't been lighting their opponents up this season. Not only that but the Devils have seemed to cut down on the free or discounted ticket giveaways so that probably cut about another 1,000 people from going.

I think the new management is still feeling things out as they will soon learn a one-size approach to catering to crowds is not the best way.  However, they do in fact have the right to tell you how to behave the minute you walk in as it is indeed THEIR building.

And the paying customers have the right to tell the ownership to go take a hike.

I agree attributing the attendance to the goal song last night is ridiculous...but the atmosphere was completely dead after goals too, which is NOT something that happened in our 12000 October crowds 2-3 years ago.  It felt like a preseason game.

People are confusing one issue with another.  I don't think too many people would defend the whole 'swallow' chant for obvious reasons. If the Devils were trying to get rid of THAT, I'd be all for it...but that's not what we're talking about here.  You suck, in this day and age I'm sorry, if people are offended by that then they're too PC.  It's not a sexual connotation either in the context of the goal song.

Yes people are more vulgar now (the eight-year old IS going to hear and see similar crap on the Internet/TV and in other aspects of life too, can't shield kids in this day and age), but also people are PC to the nth degree too more than they used to be...that pendulum swings both ways.  Nobody cared about getting rid of the Redskins name ten years ago.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 25 October 2013 - 03:54 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1312 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

Exactly. Mainly, the 25 and under group (mixed in with the man-children) can't grasp it no matter how it's presented to them. They're having a hard time with the word "no". When they respond, it's anywhere from an outright petulant answer/action to bringing up baseball and NASCAR and being ignorant of that, too. 

Now, what's worse, this fear mongering among people who should know better. This whole thing just reminds me of not being able to cope with change out of some insecurity.  Sure, this organization has thrived and gained it's measure by tradition and keeping it close, but these owners are looking to clean up areas that should be cleaned up. Corporate takeover? Over a goal song? Logos and uniforms? That's all conjecture from people who are spooked about something as minor as a song and a chant. Stop worrying that Harris and Blitzer are going to beg, borrow and steal from the Rangers or Reebok or whatever. Just worry about them trying to get a winning team back because that's going to take more work then a goal song.

#1313 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

And meanwhile, his kid will go home and pick up his iPad and be exposed to a hundred things far worse on the internet. Its life. If someone wants to bubble-wrap their child from a Devils game, thats his choice, but dont change the enjoyment many have in going to Devil games just because of that.

Edited by devlman, 25 October 2013 - 04:07 PM.

#1314 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,491 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:17 PM

And the paying customers have the right to tell the ownership to go take a hike.

I agree attributing the attendance to the goal song last night is ridiculous...but the atmosphere was completely dead after goals too, which is NOT something that happened in our 12000 October crowds 2-3 years ago.  It felt like a preseason game.

People are confusing one issue with another.  I don't think too many people would defend the whole 'swallow' chant for obvious reasons. If the Devils were trying to get rid of THAT, I'd be all for it...but that's not what we're talking about here.  You suck, in this day and age I'm sorry, if people are offended by that then they're too PC.  It's not a sexual connotation either in the context of the goal song.

Yes people are more vulgar now (the eight-year old IS going to hear and see similar crap on the Internet/TV and in other aspects of life too, can't shield kids in this day and age), but also people are PC to the nth degree too more than they used to be...that pendulum swings both ways.  Nobody cared about getting rid of the Redskins name ten years ago.

IDK but the atmosphere at most games in October for many years have felt like a preseason game.  The goal song they used like night didn't work, but they seemed to at least get some positive feedback at the Seventh nation army song the other night.

And meanwhile, his kid will go home and pick up his iPad and be exposed to a hundred things far worse on the internet. Its life. If someone wants to bubble-wrap their child from a Devils game, thats his choice, but dont change the enjoyment many have in going to Devil games just because of that.

He is doing it at his home that his parents own/rent so he can play by whatever rules his parents set.  When he (along at his parents) are in an arena owned by private individuals, they have to play by the arena's rules.

#1315 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:17 PM

IDK but the atmosphere at most games in October for many years have felt like a preseason game.  The goal song they used like night didn't work, but they seemed to at least get some positive feedback at the Seventh nation army song the other night.

He is doing it at his home that his parents own/rent so he can play by whatever rules his parents set.  When he (along at his parents) are in an arena owned by private individuals, they have to play by the arena's rules.

huh?

#1316 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,491 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

huh?

A kid can look at whatever he wants on his iPad as his parents gave it to him unsupervised and those are the rules of his home.  The rules of the Prudential Center are no cursing, taunting, etc, so he has to obey those rules.

#1317 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:21 PM

A kid can look at whatever he wants on his iPad as his parents gave it to him unsupervised and those are the rules of his home.  The rules of the Prudential Center are no cursing, taunting, etc, so he has to obey those rules.

Z-man's post wasnt that the kid was doing the cursing in the arena. It was that the kid was asking what such and such meant.

#1318 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:25 PM

Very true.  Just to be clear, I don't think his sole reason was the whole "Flyers swallow" chant, I assumed that was the straw that broke the camel's back.  The move to Newark (and the additional travel time, ease of access, etc.) is probably the biggest reason for him not going to as many games, but this incident just added to the frustration.

#1319 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,491 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:28 PM

Z-man's post wasnt that the kid was doing the cursing in the arena. It was that the kid was asking what such and such meant.

I know and I think you missed the point of my post.  I never said the kid was cursing.  If a kid wants to go home and look at worse things on his iPad that is up to his parents to enforce whatever rules they have against him viewing it (assuming the parents even have rules).  The Devils have a set of rules that they can enforce people to stop saying vulgar things (and kids hearing them) at the arena since it is their building.  However, now people are getting all worked up because the Devils have decided to start enforcing their existing rules that they have had for years this season.

#1320 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:28 PM

If your enjoyment is to shout classess chants that make our fans look petty and bad, then congratulations.

I need to find that great article about how fans don't go to as many sporting events, not because of the cost or time, but because of the behavior of OTHER FANS.

I'm sure that Jets fan who punched the girl shouldn't be reprimanded, after all..he was enjoying the Jets win.

Edited by Z-Man, 25 October 2013 - 04:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users