Photo

Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1569 replies to this topic

#1321 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,031 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:31 PM

If your enjoyment is to shout classess chants that make our fans look petty and bad, then congratulations.

I need to find that great article about how fans don't go to as many sporting events, not because of the cost or time, but because of the behavior of OTHER FANS.

I'm sure that Jets fan who punched the girl shouldn't be reprimanded, after all..he was enjoying the Jets win.

+100000

#1322 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,948 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

I know and I think you missed the point of my post.  I never said the kid was cursing.  If a kid wants to go home and look at worse things on his iPad that is up to his parents to enforce whatever rules they have against him viewing it (assuming the parents even have rules).  The Devils have a set of rules that they can enforce people to stop saying vulgar things (and kids hearing them) at the arena since it is their building.  However, now people are getting all worked up because the Devils have decided to start enforcing their existing rules that they have had for years this season.

The point of my post was that the Father has every right to avoid Devil games if he wants to shield his son from certain language, and that it doesnt mean the arena rules have to changed/strictly enforced to accommodate him.

If your enjoyment is to shout classess chants that make our fans look petty and bad, then congratulations.

I need to find that great article about how fans don't go to as many sporting events, not because of the cost or time, but because of the behavior of OTHER FANS.

I'm sure that Jets fan who punched the girl shouldn't be reprimanded, after all..he was enjoying the Jets win.

Way to over-simplify it with hyperbole. You're exactly right, we all just want to punch women in the face. Thats what this is all about.

#1323 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,031 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

The point of my post was that the Father has every right to avoid Devil games if he wants to shield his son from certain language, and that it doesnt mean the arena rules have to changed/strictly enforced to accommodate him.

The rules have stated that any vulgar language or inappropriate behavior such as taunting is subject to expulsion for many years.  Now fans are up in arms because the new owners decided to enforce it when the previous owner was asleep at the wheel in that aspect?

The father has also every right to go to a Devils game and not have to hear or shield his children from certain language.

#1324 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:35 PM

Way to over-simplify it with hyperbole. You're exactly right, we all just want to punch women in the face. Thats what this is all about.

Obviously you don't understand sarcasm.  Isn't it time for you to go chant about oral sex at some little-league game?  After all, it's what you enjoy.

#1325 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,964 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

Exactly. Mainly, the 25 and under group (mixed in with the man-children) can't grasp it no matter how it's presented to them. They're having a hard time with the word "no". When they respond, it's anywhere from an outright petulant answer/action to bringing up baseball and NASCAR and being ignorant of that, too.

I'm not gonna to go after you personally too much here, but I'd work on the reading comprehension a bit. In no, way, shape or form did I defend the "Flyers swallow" chant. I brought up other sporting events as a comparison, because you would a hell of a lot worse at a typical NASCAR or NFL game than at a Devils game. There's nothing ignorant about it, but your attempt to passively dismiss my point was sure was.

The point remains though, that if you're not going to take your kid some place because of some occasional inappropriate language..then have fun avoiding most public places. Kids are going to hear it one way or another, such is life in today's society.

It's a stupid reason to not bring a kid to a sporting event, but it's of course the parents' right to do so. The masses shouldn't necessarily have to cater to the minority, though.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#1326 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,948 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:37 PM

The rules have stated that any vulgar language or inappropriate behavior such as taunting is subject to expulsion for many years.  Now fans are up in arms because the new owners decided to enforce it when the previous owner was asleep at the wheel in that aspect?

The father has also every right to go to a Devils game and not have to hear or shield his children from certain language.

It was never enforced, and is rarely enforced in the sports world. If you cant see how this change can cause a reaction in the majority of fans, then you're being naive.

Obviously you don't understand sarcasm.  Isn't it time for you to go chant about oral sex at some little-league game?  After all, it's what you enjoy.

Said the individual with an avatar picture of two women shot waist down in yoga pants...

#1327 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,964 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:40 PM

Why? Because the rules say so? Why does one person's preference weigh more heavily?

(For the record, I'm going to swing wayy to the other side to have some fun here, but I do think this whole thing is being blown way out of proportion)

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#1328 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,031 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:41 PM

It was never enforced, and is rarely enforced in the sports world. If you cant see how this change can cause a reaction in the majority of fans, then you're being naive.

Said the individual with an avatar picture of two women shot waist down in yoga pants...

It caused the exact reaction that I thought it would have when I first heard about it.  Unfortuantely, the reaction just underscores how sad our fanbase has become (along with society in general) with people cannot comprehending the word "no."

Also for the first line, I cannot believe that rationale.  By that logic if the crime of armed robbery was not enforced, that would mean that it is OK to commit armed robbery?

Edited by DevsMan84, 25 October 2013 - 04:45 PM.

#1329 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,964 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:41 PM

Bingo.

believe-ll.jpg

#1330 montec24

montec24

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

The sooner the team starts winning the better. Issues like these wouldn't matter nearly as much if the team were winning consistently, in my opinion.

#1331 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,031 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

Why? Because the rules say so? Why does one person's preference weigh more heavily?

(For the record, I'm going to swing wayy to the other side to have some fun here, but I do think this whole thing is being blown way out of proportion)

Because the father's preference follows the Prudential Center's code of conduct.  The fans doing the vulgar language, are not.

• Guests shall refrain from using offensive language, making obscene gestures, throwing objects, and possessing prohibited items.

http://www.prucenter...ault.asp?id=114

#1332 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,964 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

It caused the exact reaction that I thought it would have when I first heard about it. Unfortuantely, the reaction just underscores how sad our fanbase has become (along with society in general) with people cannot comprehending the word "no."

Oh get off your high horse. It's not about denial as much as it is being sick of having to cater to overly sensitive prissy individuals like yourself.

believe-ll.jpg

#1333 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,948 posts

It caused the exact reaction that I thought it would have when I first heard about it.  Unfortuantely, the reaction just underscores how sad our fanbase has become (along with society in general) with people cannot comprehending the word "no."

People clearly understand the word 'no'. That doesnt mean they have to like it and follow along like sheep.

Edited by devlman, 25 October 2013 - 04:45 PM.

#1334 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,964 posts

It caused the exact reaction that I thought it would have when I first heard about it. Unfortuantely, the reaction just underscores how sad our fanbase has become (along with society in general) with people cannot comprehending the word "no."

Oh get off your high horse. It's not about denial as much as it is being sick of having to cater to overly sensitive prissy individuals like you.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 25 October 2013 - 04:46 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

#1335 jerseysteve

jerseysteve

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:47 PM

To be honest, I'm not offended by the chant, but I do find it embarassing.  It seems pretty bush to me.

#1336 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,948 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:48 PM

Also for the first line, I cannot believe that rationale.  By that logic if the crime of armed robbery was not enforced, that would mean that it is OK to commit armed robbery?

Oh, stop. This isnt a court of law. Its simple common sense. Dont compare saying you suck to armed robbery.

#1337 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,827 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:49 PM

Because the father's preference follows the Prudential Center's code of conduct.  The fans doing the vulgar language, are not.

• Guests shall refrain from using offensive language, making obscene gestures, throwing objects, and possessing prohibited items.

http://www.prucenter...ault.asp?id=114

That's fine. The problem is, the definition of "offensive" is an objective one. What was once accepted is now considered offensive. They decided to ignore the people who aren't offended by 'you suck', and instead swung to the side of the people who ARE offended by it. Which is in their right, as owners and operators of an arena. However, telling a few thousand people to behave differently than they have for 5 years isn't going to go smoothly.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#1338 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,031 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:51 PM

Oh get off your high horse. It's not about denial as much as it is being sick of having to cater to overly sensitive prissy individuals like you.

I don't mind rowdiness happening.  It has happened for many years at hockey games.  However the level of it since moving to the Prudential center has exploded and now it is unbearable.  People have for years been saying on this forum about not liking the "you suck" chant and each time those people (including me) were basically written off.  Now that the Devils decided to get rid of it, the ones who chant it are now crying and whining non-stop about it.  Hell they are even voting for it when management told them it is never coming back with the thought process that if they get enough votes that the Devils "will have no choice but to bring it back!"

Dont you see how warped that thinking is? That along with people threatening protests over a stupid goal song? That is a prime example of people who have never heard the word "no."

Oh, stop. This isnt a court of law. Its simple common sense. Dont compare saying you suck to armed robbery.

Just following your logic.

That's fine. The problem is, the definition of "offensive" is an objective one. What was once accepted is now considered offensive. They decided to ignore the people who aren't offended by 'you suck', and instead swung to the side of the people who ARE offended by it. Which is in their right, as owners and operators of an arena. However, telling a few thousand people to behave differently than they have for 5 years isn't going to go smoothly.

And before those last 5 years, things were going pretty smoothly for the previous 25 or so years.  What happened that this fan base can't accept to act like it did just 5 years ago?  Has this fanbase turned into a bunch of man-children who have the incredible urge to curse and chant dumb chants and cannot fathom going to a game without them?

Also in that link there is this:

• Guests shall comply with the direction and instructions of Prudential Center staff.

That means its their rules or out you go.  It's their building so they can do what they want and people seem to have trouble grasping at that.

Edited by DevsMan84, 25 October 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#1339 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,405 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:02 PM

'You suck' is vulgar language?  In 2013?  And since when is taunting inappropriate at a sporting event?

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1340 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,031 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

'You suck' is vulgar language?  In 2013?  And since when is taunting inappropriate at a sporting event?

Apparently these new owners think it is.  They can think the word "damn" is vulgar language too for all they want and they have every right to since it is their building.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users