Photo

Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1559 replies to this topic

#1361 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:18 PM

So just because the pro you suck chant people are whining louder on a couple of forums makes them a clear majority? I know a ton of people who are happy that they don't have to hear that chant again. They are not saying anything because they are satisfied and have nothing else to say.

People were booing the goal song on Thursday, but it wasn't all that much at all. Just mostly a couple of sections.

Look at the team's Facebook. There are several top comments on every posting which almost always detest the changing of the goal song. It's def the majority of fans.

Edited by devlman, 26 October 2013 - 02:20 PM.

#1362 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

Look at the team's Facebook. There are several top comments on every posting which almost always detest the changing of the goal song. It's def the majority of fans.

So what? It's facebook LOL. They can seek the attention among a bigger viewing audience then a team board like here or HF. Facebook is not the be all end all to the fan base.

It's the same strawman about the majority of people want the Washington Redskins name changed because you have a segment that's obnoxiously and obsessively vocal. It's simply not true.

#1363 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

So what? It's facebook LOL. They can seek the attention among a bigger viewing audience then a team board like here or HF. Facebook is not the be all end all to the fan base.

It's the same strawman about the majority of people want the Washington Redskins name changed because you have a segment that's obnoxiously and obsessively vocal. It's simply not true.

Ok but then combine Facebook with reddit and here and hf and it appears the majority of fans were rnr2 fans.

#1364 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:22 PM

Wow, so suck is offensive to the majority of people, like yourself, but a derogatory term for Native Americans, people who oppose that are obnoxious and obsessive. LOL @ hypocrisy.

#1365 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

Wow, so suck is offensive to the majority of people, like yourself, but a derogatory term for Native Americans, people who oppose that are obnoxious and obsessive. LOL @ hypocrisy.

Nice try putting words in my mouth and flipping my post. Just like the other ilk you fall in line with, you're out of material and excuses.

"you suck" doesn't offended me. What i find most "offensive" is the overall behavior of the young portion of this fanbase and the man-children. The self-entitlement, selfishness, petulance and immaturity has finally come to light. The examples of flippant attitude like "i pay for a ticket i can do what i want", "we're NJ you can't make us" only makes these people look like fools.

#1366 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,307 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

1. I don't have a problem with the people who chant "You suck!"

2. I don't have a problem with the people who loved RR2.

3. I DO have a problem with the people who can't get over it so they have these "protests".

Thankfully most fans who are apart of 1 and 2 are NOT part of number 3.  The people in 3 is a very small minority.  Hopefully it stays that way.

I cant wrap my head around people who just have no understanding about the value of tradition.

What tradition?  RR2 isn't OUR song.  You suck isn't OUR chant.

You want a real tradition?  Look no further than Winnipeg's whiteout.  Or look at Yankees and the role call.

Gotta think of the children brah.

helen-lovejoy.jpg

Which people are being the children now?

Hint.  It's not the people who complained about the chant originally.

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#1367 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

NO! WE CAN'T CHANGE THE SONG! I FEAR CHANGE! LIFE WILL NOT GO ON WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO YELL "HEY! YOU SUCK!" AFTER THE DEVILS SCORE A GOAL AT HOME!

MY WORLD IS SHATTERED!

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#1368 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,817 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:52 AM

I cant wrap my head around people who just have no understanding about the value of tradition.

So what you are saying is the people who added "you suck" to the chant after keeping the goal song the way it was intended to be for about two decades have no understanding of tradition...

I am bummed about losing our goal song and took part in the "you suck" chant, but "you suck" was not a tradition until recently.  Rock and Roll Part 2 was a long-standing tradition, and I hate to say it but the "you suck" chant is not a long-standing tradition and in retrospect, it marred what was perhaps the most tenured tradition of the franchise.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#1369 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,138 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:42 AM

Great post Df26. You're on the money. The tradition was the song, not the chant. No one was happier when a few years back RR2 was brought back, but the traidition was ruined with the chant.

#1370 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

Nice try putting words in my mouth and flipping my post. Just like the other ilk you fall in line with, you're out of material and excuses.

"you suck" doesn't offended me. What i find most "offensive" is the overall behavior of the young portion of this fanbase and the man-children. The self-entitlement, selfishness, petulance and immaturity has finally come to light. The examples of flippant attitude like "i pay for a ticket i can do what i want", "we're NJ you can't make us" only makes these people look like fools.

You put it in your own mouth. Nice try to deflect by turning it around on me though. Good to now you're ok with offensive terms, so long as they're not offensive to you. Your posts read exactly like what you're whining about. WAH no one is doing what I WANT!!!

#1371 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,307 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

So what you are saying is the people who added "you suck" to the chant after keeping the goal song the way it was intended to be for about two decades have no understanding of tradition...

I am bummed about losing our goal song and took part in the "you suck" chant, but "you suck" was not a tradition until recently.  Rock and Roll Part 2 was a long-standing tradition, and I hate to say it but the "you suck" chant is not a long-standing tradition and in retrospect, it marred what was perhaps the most tenured tradition of the franchise.

Exactly how I feel.

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#1372 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:04 PM

NO! WE CAN'T CHANGE THE SONG! I FEAR CHANGE! LIFE WILL NOT GO ON WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO YELL "HEY! YOU SUCK!" AFTER THE DEVILS SCORE A GOAL AT HOME!

MY WORLD IS SHATTERED!

For most sane people it's not about what you yell after the song, it's the fact that they want to go all "PC Police" on you for doing it. I really couldn't care less whether someone makes up a chant, and whether it has obscenities in it or not, just that if it does, and I choose to participate, I should not be considered a "bad fan", should not be a target for removal from the stands by security and should not fear about the status of my ticket "privileges" because of it. Uptight people at the games just need to take a chill pill and stop looking for things to complain about. Don't like something? Don't participate, but don't go making a federal case about it either. Just accept it as part of going to a game and deal with it.

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#1373 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

For most sane people it's not about what you yell after the song, it's the fact that they want to go all "PC Police" on you for doing it. I really couldn't care less whether someone makes up a chant, and whether it has obscenities in it or not, just that if it does, and I choose to participate, I should not be considered a "bad fan", should not be a target for removal from the stands by security and should not fear about the status of my ticket "privileges" because of it. Uptight people at the games just need to take a chill pill and stop looking for things to complain about. Don't like something? Don't participate, but don't go making a federal case about it either. Just accept it as part of going to a game and deal with it.

And in the same breath, maybe all those resisting should "accept it as part of going to a game and deal with it" and also "take a chill pill and stop looking for things to complain about" since the song is never coming back.

The sheer fact so many people are afraid of change is just as pathetic as all those who are complaining tooth and nail about those who don't like hearing you suck and their reasoning.

This thread is going to last all season, surpass Koval-gate and zero progress will be made because half will be okay with a new song and others will freak out, complain about a change, and still boo every time we score a goal at home because the song changed.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#1374 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:38 PM

And in the same breath, maybe all those resisting should "accept it as part of going to a game and deal with it" and also "take a chill pill and stop looking for things to complain about" since the song is never coming back.

The sheer fact so many people are afraid of change is just as pathetic as all those who are complaining tooth and nail about those who don't like hearing you suck and their reasoning.

This thread is going to last all season, surpass Koval-gate and zero progress will be made because half will be okay with a new song and others will freak out, complain about a change, and still boo every time we score a goal at home because the song changed.

It's a temper tantrum. That's all it is. 

#1375 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:18 AM

Right, the goal song is the tradition we're talking about. "You suck" was just an organic addition. There's just simply no reason to change it. If there was any legitimate basis, it wouldn't matter to me at all. People who cared about our oldest tradition are not the ones looking for something to complain about. The completely irrational people who are offended by the phrase "you suck", and think every environment needs to be bubble wrapped and policed so they don't have to explain adult language to their children are the ones who were looking for something to complain about.

BillyWitchDoctor.com

2014-2015 TRFHL Patrick Division Champions

#1376 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:23 AM

Why don't they ban checking also? What about skates? There's certainly nothing more offensive than nasty cuts skates cause. Replace the puck with a tennis ball, too. Broken eye sockets are much harder to put into perspective for children than a little bit of mature language. And you better stop selling alcohol at the games. If we're going to clean up one part of the game day experience, we need to clean up everything.

BillyWitchDoctor.com

2014-2015 TRFHL Patrick Division Champions

#1377 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

How is this argument still going on? This surely doesn't warrant 70 pages

these people just talk in circles bro.. a bunch of whiners and the other half are a bunch of soft skinned people who just like to say the same thing over and over again.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#1378 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

Any clue what the song is tonight?

n2eg.jpg

#1379 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:24 PM

Any clue what the song is tonight?

I vote for "I Feel Pretty" from West Side Story.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#1380 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

I vote for "I Feel Pretty" from West Side Story.

My family friendly vote goes for "So Happy Together" by The Turtles.

n2eg.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users