Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

The only problem I have with the Hey You Suck! thing is pretty much the same most have with it. Being down 5-2 and still chanting it after we score that second goal. Otherwise it's harmless. I have more of an issue with "Flyers swallow" then "Hey you suck."

i already said this and this is the biggest problem. if "you suck" was used properly, I would be totally fine with it. a late goal to go ahead or pull away - against nyr, pit, philly - good. but we can't get on the same page so it should go

I remember the first time that I heard the Chelsea Dagger (I think it was in a beer commercial or something), I thought, "That would be a great song at a sporting event." I did not specifically think Devils Goal Song because R&Rpt2 was so entrenched for that purpose. Sadly, I feel that if we went with it now, we would look like we're simply trying to copy the Cup Champs.

I remember the first time that I heard the Chelsea Dagger (I think it was in a beer commercial or something), I thought, "That would be a great song at a sporting event." I did not specifically think Devils Goal Song because R&Rpt2 was so entrenched for that purpose. Sadly, I feel that if we went with it now, we would look like we're simply trying to copy the Cup Champs.

Dont worry, the cup champs stole it from Celtic FC, who used it as their goal song years before the Hawks did.

The fans (many of them) seem to have a blast doing the You Suck chant, and yeah I'm sure many of them have a few beers in them too. Other team's fans say some stupid crap too.

Its just not for everyone. I'm sure the fans will find a new chant with the new song...it could be worse then You Suck.......we'll have to see.

What if we all said..... "We Rule"   or something Positive?????

yeah..this is getting beaten to death now

I love the "You Suck" chant. It helps me relieve all the stress and energy in my body leading up to the moment that goal is scored. I'm like an addict getting my fix. The "Hey" is all excitement for my team and the "You suck!" is purely directed at the other team for making me feel this way. It's euphoric in the best possible way. That being said, I never do it if the Devils are getting blown out. That emotion just isn't there. I wish other people would do the same but meh, I'd rather have it all the time than never have it at all.

Edited by PWW

You know you're overanalyzing a sports chant when the words "inferiority complex" start popping up. At that point, even Freud would probably say, "Jeez, it's just a sporting event. Not everything has some deep, underlying meaning. Lighten up."

• Like 1

You know you're overanalyzing a sports chant when the words "inferiority complex" start popping up. At that point, even Freud would probably say, "Jeez, it's just a sporting event. Not everything has some deep, underlying meaning. Lighten up."

Agree, a lot of reading going into this. 

From what I remember, it was always "Hey!" and only "Hey!" for the longest time, then around the 2002-03 season, "you suck" became a part of it, and slowly but surely became more widespread where it can clearly be heard throughout.  I don't think there's any deeper meaning, just one of those things that just sort of happened over time.  I don't think most fans are experiencing deep thought moments as they're saying it.  I don't say it only because it never really felt right to me. 

IF the Devils are indeed canning R&R Part 2, I'd like to know why exactly.  Just because they think it's dated and has run its course?  Are some of the suits and higher-ups only somehow NOW becoming aware of the "you suck" thing?  Were some fans (maybe some parents) actually starting to call and/or write complaining about it?  Guess I'd just like to hear it from the franchise itself. 

IF the Devils are indeed canning R&R Part 2, I'd like to know why exactly.  Just because they think it's dated and has run its course?  Are some of the suits and higher-ups only somehow NOW becoming aware of the "you suck" thing?  Were some fans (maybe some parents) actually starting to call and/or write complaining about it?  Guess I'd just like to hear it from the franchise itself. 

I seem to recall hearing that "you suck" has been a concern from management for a while now.  Maybe the new CEO wants to put his foot down. 

I seem to recall hearing that "you suck" has been a concern from management for a while now.  Maybe the new CEO wants to put his foot down. 

I didn't even think of new ownership...could very well be the reason. 

Putting aside the "Hey, you suck" debate for a sec, I was curious as to what other teams do for their goal songs.

I know the Blackhawks goal song is obviously pretty popular with a lot of hockey fans. And as much as we might not want to admit it, the Rangers goal song gets high marks from a lot of fans from out of our division.

One good example of the wide variety of goal songs that are out there can be found when you compare the Flyers goal song from a few years ago...

...to what they have now.

That was a crazy switch, but both songs work in their own way, as opposed to "Zombie Nation," which was as boring as it gets.

Edited by 95Crash

Putting aside the "Hey, you suck" debate for a sec, I was curious as to what other teams do for their goal songs.

I know the Blackhawks goal song is obviously pretty popular with a lot of hockey fans. And as much as we might not want to admit it, the Rangers goal song gets high marks from a lot of fans from out of our division.

One good example of the wide variety of goal songs that are out there can be found when you compare the Flyers goal song from a few years ago...

I cannot stand the Blackhawks song. I despise it. I loathe it.  It's nails on a chalkboard.  It sounds like a god damned circus song.  It's awful.  The thought of that song has such an adverse effect on me that I can barely put together a coherent thought. HATE.

Oh, and whoever decided to stop playing Seek and Destroy when the Devils hit the ice should be fired immediately.

Edited by gardenstatepkwy

I cannot stand the Blackhawks song. I despise it. I loathe it.  It's nails on a chalkboard.  It sounds like a god damned circus song.  It's awful.  The thought of that song has such an adverse effect on me that I can barely put together a coherent thought. HATE.

Oh, and whoever decided to stop playing Seek and Destroy when the Devils hit the ice should be fired immediately.

Who did that?  I heard it on Thursday night.

Last year I did not hear Seek and Destroy prior to the games.  Maybe it was just the games I was at but it was an unpleasant surprise.

Yeah, last year they used "The Grudge" by Tool. They've gone by to Seek and Destroy so far this preseason.

Also, as much as I hate to say it, I LOVE the Flyers newer goal song even if they did steal it from the Philadelphia Union.

I don't care if people think we're stealing it from the Blackhawks ... I'd love to hear Chelsea Dagger after goals.

I have to agree with GSP here. That song is like daggers to my ear holes. You can't chant the duh duh duh part without sounding like a moron and it certainly doesn't sound good with thousands of people trying to sing that part.

Only suggestion I've liked so far is the "Hey! Hey! Hey! section of 'Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love'. Even with that one being my favorite out of the suggestions, I'd still way rather just keep our goal song as is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The "You suck" thing has gotten old though, very old. Especially when we're getting blown out and people are chanting it.....