Photo

Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1569 replies to this topic

#1481 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:48 PM

So what? It's facebook LOL. They can seek the attention among a bigger viewing audience then a team board like here or HF. Facebook is not the be all end all to the fan base.

It's the same strawman about the majority of people want the Washington Redskins name changed because you have a segment that's obnoxiously and obsessively vocal. It's simply not true.

I was thinking about posting something about the redskins name here since I live in dc and it has been a non stop topic.

They both come down to tradition vs correctness. the song is part if the devils tradition- it's been there for the franchises greatest moments. But clearly, just like the redskin name, the chant has to go- it's reached a point where the energy and enjoyment it brings to the fans who chant it is overshadowed by a combination of other fans in the arena feeling uncomfortable and a bad overall image of the franchise.

Ownership probably could have handled it better but really there probably was no way to do away with the chant as long as the song stayed.

#1482 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

how are they gonna get rid of the rangers suck chants after the whistling ?

#1483 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:05 PM

I was thinking about posting something about the redskins name here since I live in dc and it has been a non stop topic.

They both come down to tradition vs correctness. the song is part if the devils tradition- it's been there for the franchises greatest moments. But clearly, just like the redskin name, the chant has to go- it's reached a point where the energy and enjoyment it brings to the fans who chant it is overshadowed by a combination of other fans in the arena feeling uncomfortable and a bad overall image of the franchise.

Ownership probably could have handled it better but really there probably was no way to do away with the chant as long as the song stayed.

Yeah ok, having a team that's name is a derogatory term for an entire race of people is the same as fan's chanting "you suck". I don't think there's one person outside of the Devils fanbase who gives two sh!ts about this. That is not the case for the Redskins, as there's a whole race of people they have offended either by intent or ignorance.

#1484 losdiablos103

losdiablos103

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

The songs in the 2 games i've made it out to this season were awful.  The Nucks game on Thursday and the Bolts last night. AWFUL.  

Might as well just let the goal horn go off for a minute.  

GO BOUNCING SOULS OLE!

Posted Image Posted Image

#1485 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:54 PM

The songs in the 2 games i've made it out to this season were awful.  The Nucks game on Thursday and the Bolts last night. AWFUL.  

Might as well just let the goal horn go off for a minute.  

GO BOUNCING SOULS OLE!

the other song that i believe is going to win if it hasnt already was the seven nation army song which really is no great choice either.. all 3 of the goal songs i was pretty disappointed with
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#1486 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:23 PM

No one was there

Yea that must have been it.

how are they gonna get rid of the rangers suck chants after the whistling ?

They can't.  They can kick the person out who initiates it by doing the whistling.  That's about it.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#1487 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:26 PM

Yeah ok, having a team that's name is a derogatory term for an entire race of people is the same as fan's chanting "you suck". I don't think there's one person outside of the Devils fanbase who gives two sh!ts about this. That is not the case for the Redskins, as there's a whole race of people they have offended either by intent or ignorance.

I never said they were the same thing, what I said they had in common is that the only reason people are arguing to hold onto them is tradition. To me that's not a good enough reason.

#1488 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

The only reason the Redskins thing is a big deal now is because there are liberal-minded people who feel they have to fight for something, and if there isn't currently a cause to fight for, make one up. I'm sure there was a problem waaay back when the team originally took the name, but obviously all this time it was never a big issue, even the Indian tribes said it was fine they knew it wasn't meant to be racist (so  what they do have red skin! what's so racist about pointing out the obvious!?)

Aaaaanywaay... these days some liberal jagoff decided to make a big stink about this and get people all riled up about something that is minor at best. Soon we won't even be able to use animal names because that will be racist, derogatory (relating people to animals) and also somehow bigoted, homophobic, etc... where do we draw the line at this crap? where does it end?

You could say god-fearing people are offended at our team being the Devils as it implies worshiping Satan. It sounds ridiculous, but it's exactly the same kind of narrow-mindedness going on with the Redskins thing. All this "equality" crap. People are different, get used to it!

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#1489 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

The only reason the Redskins thing is a big deal now is because there are liberal-minded people who feel they have to fight for something, and if there isn't currently a cause to fight for, make one up. I'm sure there was a problem waaay back when the team originally took the name, but obviously all this time it was never a big issue, even the Indian tribes said it was fine they knew it wasn't meant to be racist (so  what they do have red skin! what's so racist about pointing out the obvious!?)

Aaaaanywaay... these days some liberal jagoff decided to make a big stink about this and get people all riled up about something that is minor at best. Soon we won't even be able to use animal names because that will be racist, derogatory (relating people to animals) and also somehow bigoted, homophobic, etc... where do we draw the line at this crap? where does it end?

You could say god-fearing people are offended at our team being the Devils as it implies worshiping Satan. It sounds ridiculous, but it's exactly the same kind of narrow-mindedness going on with the Redskins thing. All this "equality" crap. People are different, get used to it!

If you look in just about any dictionary, the term redskin is always defined as a derogatory term for native americans.  It's not about how many people are offended by it.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#1490 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:37 PM

The only reason the Redskins thing is a big deal now is because there are liberal-minded people who feel they have to fight for something, and if there isn't currently a cause to fight for, make one up. I'm sure there was a problem waaay back when the team originally took the name, but obviously all this time it was never a big issue, even the Indian tribes said it was fine they knew it wasn't meant to be racist (so what they do have red skin! what's so racist about pointing out the obvious!?)

not to devolve this thread into this discussion, but the bottom line is is the name acceptable or not? The fact that it has been the name for 50 years is not a good enough reason in and of itself to keep the name, just as the fact that the goal song has been the same for a long time is not a good enough reason to keep it.

Edited by dmann422, 30 October 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#1491 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:43 PM

They must not update the results because the chart is the same as it was many hours ago

#1492 sassquash

sassquash

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:49 PM

There's nothing wrong with the word Redskins, just change the logo to a potato

SvbaNeA.jpg

:P

They must not update the results because the chart is the same as it was many hours ago

Or its a fix and SNA was gonna be the winner no matter what...

functionless art is simply tolerated vandalism

#1493 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

A lot of natives don't have an issue with the name. If you shine a light under teams namr you can find something offensive ala devils, Vikings, dolphins. Etc. It's stupid its be theit name for ever,through thick and thin. All a sudden lately it's a huge issue only because the media makes it. As the"media" does with almost everything in today's world.

#1494 sassquash

sassquash

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:01 PM

I just looked at the Goal Song Contest Rules, check this out:

After the conclusion of the Original Song Finalist Period and the Published Song Entry Period, the Devils panel of judges will select, at their discretion subjectively based upon independent criteria, three song finalists from among the Original Songs and Published Songs that received the most registered votes.

So the top vote getters are essentially meaningless. Technically as long as a song was voted for at all, it could be picked. :rolleyes:

functionless art is simply tolerated vandalism

#1495 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:18 PM

A lot of natives don't have an issue with the name. If you shine a light under teams namr you can find something offensive ala devils, Vikings, dolphins. Etc. It's stupid its be theit name for ever,through thick and thin. All a sudden lately it's a huge issue only because the media makes it. As the"media" does with almost everything in today's world.

lol if you think the name dolphins is on the same level as redskins then idk what to say unless of course you're being sarcastic. The name is wrong simply because the word itself is derogatory. Devils Vikings and dolphins are not derogatory, they are socially acceptable terms to use. A simple test would be would you be willing to call a Native American a redskin to his face? Probably not, but I'm sure you would have no problem calling a flipper a dolphin to his face.

And again, if the only defense for the name (and the song, cuz I want to try to keep this on topic) is "we'll it's been that way forever!" That's not a good enough reason to keep it.

Edited by dmann422, 30 October 2013 - 09:19 PM.

#1496 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:19 PM

That's not the point.  It's still generally regarded as a racist term.  It doesn't matter how many people are offended by it.  BTW I'm not advocating to change the name.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#1497 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:33 PM

I know that. I'm generally saying you can find those names offensive to a "group" of people somewhere sadly. The name may be racist. Yes. That's a fact. A good number of people want it changes as well as a good number who don't. Not saying which we should or shouldn't. I'm saying a group of people can find our devils names offensive as well. The media brought this to attention otherwise it wouldn't be a top headline consistently as it hanst over the duration of the its name.

That's not the point. It's still generally regarded as a racist term. It doesn't matter how many people are offended by it. BTW I'm not advocating to change the name.

#1498 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:56 PM

Hold on. Are people actually comparing the term YOU SUCK to the ACTUAL controversial team name of the Washington Redskins?

LOLOLOLOL

Oh brother.

n2eg.jpg

#1499 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:55 PM

With the constant you suck chants that will follow. If you saw the Ranger game fans were pretty into it, it made the atmosphere fun, people didn't boo the song and actually worked you suck into it creatively. However SNA isn't even about you suck to me. It has the same fun atmosphere as RRP2 did.

I feel like we are posting in the wrong thread haha. Oh wait we are. >.>

Yea but it was a much tamer YS chant.  Much like the whistle chant, it'll never be as resounding as it was with RR2.  There's a few reasons why.

1. The window to get in the chant is much smaller.

2. People can still just continue singing the song.

3. Getting 15,000 people to time it perfectly will be extremely difficult if not impossible.

I was at the Rags game.  It wasn't loud at all.  And I was sitting in front of the section where it started.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#1500 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:29 AM

Hold on. Are people actually comparing the term YOU SUCK to the ACTUAL controversial team name of the Washington Redskins?

LOLOLOLOL

Oh brother.

sigh. How about actually reading the content of my post before shooting off nonsense that contributes nothing to the conversation?

I'm still waiting to hear a legitimate argument for keeping the song that doesn't involve "tradition". That is not a good enough reason to keep it.

I'm done talking about the name (and the song too because frankly I could not care less if it changes or not) but I was actually trying to highlight how tradition ultimately means nothing when it comes to this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users