Photo

Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1569 replies to this topic

#121 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,722 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

Unfair comparison dude, I've been to enough games at Madison Square Garden to know Rangers games are so tame, relatively speaking. It's not an overgeneralization that 60+% of the people in the building don't even have a Rangers jersey or paraphernalia on, it's the flat-out truth. It's a corporate/client-meeting venue and that's it. Many nights, the loudest the crowd gets is when it's booing its power play.

That plus the last couple of times I went to the Garden there were more than enough lewd chants and comments about Marty in the crowd (this was in the Avery days). They're about as preoccupied with 'fatso' as we are with them.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#122 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,303 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

That plus the last couple of times I went to the Garden there were more than enough lewd chants and comments about Marty in the crowd (this was in the Avery days). They're about as preoccupied with 'fatso' as we are with them.

Did 1/2 of the arena or more chant it at the same time?  Was it during a game where they weren't playing the Devils?

#123 NJDEVS1730

NJDEVS1730

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

I think if there was a huge issue with it, Lou would've done something about it by now. There has to be a reason why they switched back to it after it was gone for a few games (or a whole season)

#124 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:06 PM

The only problem I have with the Hey You Suck! thing is pretty much the same most have with it. Being down 5-2 and still chanting it after we score that second goal. Otherwise it's harmless. I have more of an issue with "Flyers swallow" then "Hey you suck."

Also that Bon Jovi song sounds more of a hype song then a goal song. A bit slow-paced actually IMO.

n2eg.jpg

#125 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:06 PM

I think if there was a huge issue with it, Lou would've done something about it by now. There has to be a reason why they switched back to it after it was gone for a few games (or a whole season)

Well I think that's what's happening. The thread was started because it seems like they'll be replacing the goal song this year, per several reports.

#126 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,030 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

I don't like the 'you suck' chants. I don't join in on them. As Tri and DevsMan said, they come off like drunken college stuff, and it's just not my kind of thing. I too cringe when I hear it after we turn a 4-0 score to a 4-1 score, and I'm not a fan of the 'Rangers suck/Flyers Swallow' chant either. Again, not my thing. I'm there for the game.

But I think it's ridiculous to say the rest of the crowd can't chant what they want because of how it looks to other fans. Honestly, who gives a crap what fans of other teams think? Half the damn league thinks there are 1,500 of us napping in an empty arena while our team plays the trap all night. Even after how loud our arena was in 95 (chanting Bettman sucks), or leading the league in scoring in 2001, or shaking the CAA so bad in 2003 that the cameras on the second level were useless, or packing the house for the 2012 run when on paper we had no business outside of the first round, we still have the same empty arena/boring team stigma. I'm not interested in what other teams think of us. They will always believe what they want to, and in reality, the other 29 teams care as little about what happens in our arena as we care what happens in theirs.

For example, none of us cares that Nashville does a 'you suck' chant. We didn't care when the Isles did it. And we surely don't think that Chicago and Detroit, who often chant that each other sucks no matter who they are playing, have inferiority complexes. I think it's a far deeper inferiority complex to worry what the hell some dunce in a Flyers jersey who somehow drunkenly made it up the turnpike thinks of what our fans chant. At the end of the day, it's a sporting event, and being a fan doesn't mean you have to be logical. People are there for the "us vs them" of it all. Even with the chants, I'd rather have RR pt 2 than some generic song like Zombie Nation. I'll just cheer and yell the 'hey' part like always.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#127 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

The only problem I have with the Hey You Suck! thing is pretty much the same most have with it. Being down 5-2 and still chanting it after we score that second goal. Otherwise it's harmless. I have more of an issue with "Flyers swallow" then "Hey you suck."

i already said this and this is the biggest problem. if "you suck" was used properly, I would be totally fine with it. a late goal to go ahead or pull away - against nyr, pit, philly - good. but we can't get on the same page so it should go

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#128 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

I remember the first time that I heard the Chelsea Dagger (I think it was in a beer commercial or something), I thought, "That would be a great song at a sporting event." I did not specifically think Devils Goal Song because R&Rpt2 was so entrenched for that purpose. Sadly, I feel that if we went with it now, we would look like we're simply trying to copy the Cup Champs.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#129 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:53 PM

I remember the first time that I heard the Chelsea Dagger (I think it was in a beer commercial or something), I thought, "That would be a great song at a sporting event." I did not specifically think Devils Goal Song because R&Rpt2 was so entrenched for that purpose. Sadly, I feel that if we went with it now, we would look like we're simply trying to copy the Cup Champs.

Dont worry, the cup champs stole it from Celtic FC, who used it as their goal song years before the Hawks did.

#130 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:26 PM

The fans (many of them) seem to have a blast doing the You Suck chant, and yeah I'm sure many of them have a few beers in them too. Other team's fans say some stupid crap too.

Its just not for everyone. I'm sure the fans will find a new chant with the new song...it could be worse then You Suck.......we'll have to see.

What if we all said..... "We Rule"   or something Positive?????

yeah..this is getting beaten to death now

#131 Troy from NJ

Troy from NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

AC/DC TNT.

"What's the difference between a catfish and Rangers Fan?
One is a low life bottom feeder that lives on the feces of others. The other is a fish"

Official Keeper of THE BUD LIGHT GOAL BAR
Posted Image

#132 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

AC/DC TNT.

I like that type of song (hard rock from a respectable band) I was thinking Shoot to Thrill by AC DC

#133 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

AC/DC TNT.

T.N.T. oi oi oi

T.N.T. oi oi oi

T.N.T. oi oi oi

T.N.T. oi oi oi

#134 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

I love the "You Suck" chant. It helps me relieve all the stress and energy in my body leading up to the moment that goal is scored. I'm like an addict getting my fix. The "Hey" is all excitement for my team and the "You suck!" is purely directed at the other team for making me feel this way. It's euphoric in the best possible way. That being said, I never do it if the Devils are getting blown out. That emotion just isn't there. I wish other people would do the same but meh, I'd rather have it all the time than never have it at all.

Edited by PWW, 23 September 2013 - 07:47 PM.

oKCiNj.jpg

#135 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:22 AM

You know you're overanalyzing a sports chant when the words "inferiority complex" start popping up. At that point, even Freud would probably say, "Jeez, it's just a sporting event. Not everything has some deep, underlying meaning. Lighten up."

Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#136 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:47 AM

T.N.T. oi oi oi

T.N.T. oi oi oi

T.N.T. oi oi oi

T.N.T. oi oi oi

NJD* :)

Devils.

#137 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:52 AM

I would probably be an outlier on the board with my music taste, so I don't really have a suggestion. I am, however, in favor of getting something a bit more modern playing though.

815631765.gif

#138 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,757 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

You know you're overanalyzing a sports chant when the words "inferiority complex" start popping up. At that point, even Freud would probably say, "Jeez, it's just a sporting event. Not everything has some deep, underlying meaning. Lighten up."

Agree, a lot of reading going into this. 

From what I remember, it was always "Hey!" and only "Hey!" for the longest time, then around the 2002-03 season, "you suck" became a part of it, and slowly but surely became more widespread where it can clearly be heard throughout.  I don't think there's any deeper meaning, just one of those things that just sort of happened over time.  I don't think most fans are experiencing deep thought moments as they're saying it.  I don't say it only because it never really felt right to me. 

IF the Devils are indeed canning R&R Part 2, I'd like to know why exactly.  Just because they think it's dated and has run its course?  Are some of the suits and higher-ups only somehow NOW becoming aware of the "you suck" thing?  Were some fans (maybe some parents) actually starting to call and/or write complaining about it?  Guess I'd just like to hear it from the franchise itself. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#139 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,899 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

IF the Devils are indeed canning R&R Part 2, I'd like to know why exactly.  Just because they think it's dated and has run its course?  Are some of the suits and higher-ups only somehow NOW becoming aware of the "you suck" thing?  Were some fans (maybe some parents) actually starting to call and/or write complaining about it?  Guess I'd just like to hear it from the franchise itself. 

I seem to recall hearing that "you suck" has been a concern from management for a while now.  Maybe the new CEO wants to put his foot down. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#140 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,757 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

I seem to recall hearing that "you suck" has been a concern from management for a while now.  Maybe the new CEO wants to put his foot down. 

I didn't even think of new ownership...could very well be the reason. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users