79 replies to this topic

#61 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

Maybe I am not making myself clear. You will always have guys to drop the mitts. As the bottom 6 roster spots become more valuable, you will see the fighters transition to the guys like Clarkson. As I mentioned before, this transition is difficult when you have true goons in the league, as now it resembles an arms race. So teams have opted to either carry the goon or a try the best of both worlds by employing a more skilled fighter. We have 2 examples in NJ, Barch and Carter. I think Carter is a perfect example, as he can play and scrap. Of course we all know we aren't talking Probert style fighting, but I think this is the fighter of the future. In fact I feel bad for Ryan's knuckles this season as I expect a rise in his fighting majors.

Urbom dropped them tonight. The guys know there is a need and I would't be surprised if Stevens didn't send him out there to see what he had, which wasn't much.

Won't happen.  The Devils have drafted 2 goons (Thomson, Bernard) and converted another player to being a goon (Young) in the last 5 drafts.  That's just the Devils - plenty of other teams still value this sort of player, look at how many dumb fights there are during the preseason.  And since these guys have no skill to begin with, they can play until they're 35 or 36 provided they don't get punch drunk.

And again, only an idiot team wants Clarkson fighting a lot - he's a valuable player, players can get hurt in fights, and there's no need to lose him for 5 minutes to a needless fight.  He'll still definitely fight, but I don't think he'll be in the top 20 in fighting majors.

DeBoer thinks that the game is changing towards playing goons who can play, but he's just not correct about this - it's really really hard for big players to be any good at hockey, but that big arms race is going to continue.  As someone on Twitter pointed out, there's probably too many skaters allowed to dress for NHL games - it's not hard to dress a guy for 5 minutes and hide the rest of his minutes with your other 11 forwards.

Urbom dropped them because this is how someone proves they are willing to make the team - by getting into a worthless fight where he got pummeled.  It's meatheadedness at its finest - it will take lawyers to get it out of the game completely.  I'm not against fighting but that fight last night, the idea that a guy has to fight to prove something about his hockey playing ability - yeah, I'm against that.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#62 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:06 AM

Lecavalier got stuck fighting Chara, he lost, and he lived.   If Kessel had a problem, switch wings.   It's a preseason game.    Seems to me everyone on the ice wanted a circus and they got just what they wanted.

He got lucky or Chara didn't want to kill Lecavalier. Only way that works out. Scott could just hold Kessel at bay at repeatedly punch him in the face. When you have that much of a height advantage, you also have a reach advantage. Yes, you can try to hug and stay close, but all it takes is one well placed punch and Kessel is unconscious, on the ice, useless for the next 4-6 weeks. Not worth it if you're Kessel.

#63 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,288 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

Somehow the NHL fined Ron Rolston for "player selection and team conduct." I don't really think it's right to fine a coach who didn't have last change and there was 10 minutes left in the game. If anyone should have been fined it should have been Randy Carlyle for having a player leave his bench.

Also crazy is that Phil Kessel is only going to miss 3 preseason games. He should've at least missed a regular season game for his cheap shots.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#64 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:36 PM

This happens once in a blue moon.  This brawl was apparently triggered when two guys fighting for NHL spots decided to fight.  The Sabres didn't like how that fight went so they sent out their goon.

We hardly ever see real fights.  Teams don't want players like Clarkson risking their necks in actual fights - the better Clarkson has gotten, the less he's been fighting.  Until the NHL continues the charade of maintaining fighting despite it mostly being a sideshow, we'll see events like last night's.

Exactly. Rolston overreacted to Tropp getting dropped by Devane. I had a post on it over at New York Puck if anyone's interested. Kessel did what most stars do or have we forgotten what a punk Crosby is post whistle and Malkin? Scott is a scrub who doesn't belong in hockey. The blame goes to Rolston. He wants to change the Sabres' image. But you don't send Scott after their best player. That's bush league. Another issue I have with fights is when a player delivers a clean hit. Why should there be retribution? Hitting is still part of hockey. There is a tendency for today's players to overreact. There isn't any respect anymore. The amount of cheap shots we're seeing in meaningless exhibitions is garbage. And they never penalize these guys enough. Five games here while Clarkson gets 10 for being an idiot. Where's the consistency? If players kept their sticks down, much of what we see wouldn't exist. It'd be a much cleaner game. I'm fed up with it. Brawls like this one have no place in the game. It's preseason. That should be about competition and team chemistry.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#65 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:42 PM

Down Goes Brown did a mock write up about the whole thing, and it might honestly be his best ever (and that's saying a lot)

http://www.downgoesb...ension.html?m=1

So many great lines.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 24 September 2013 - 08:42 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#66 StormJosh

StormJosh

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:10 PM

Down Goes Brown did a mock write up about the whole thing, and it might honestly be his best ever (and that's saying a lot)

http://www.downgoesb...ension.html?m=1

So many great lines.

I lost it at the very end, awesome.

#67 njdevs89

njdevs89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:07 AM

Well, that didn't take long. I was reading the paper yesterday and already on the front of the sports page of the Toronto Sun it had a picture of Clarkson with a caption that read ; " Dumb move, David". Should I start a scrapbook or post pictures for you guys to see the hellfire David will endure here in Toronto?

#68 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,566 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

Has Clarkson actually said anything?  I haven't seen any quotes from him.  Just curious as to what he possibly could've been thinking.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#69 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,451 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:09 AM

Well, that didn't take long. I was reading the paper yesterday and already on the front of the sports page of the Toronto Sun it had a picture of Clarkson with a caption that read ; " Dumb move, David". Should I start a scrapbook or post pictures for you guys to see the hellfire David will endure here in Toronto?

Well, a Clarkson post of gaffs would be the way to go -- except I have a feeling we'll lose interest fast. 

I'm already kind of sick of him.  He looked so tiny too!  As much as I like him I'm pretty glad we didn't keep him and turn into that kind of a team -- where a guy like Clarkson is top paid pretty much for his charming comic relief the majority of the time, you know?  Charm and endearing qualities turn pathetic so fast if you can't back it all up on ice, you know?

I'm here for the party

#70 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:14 AM

Has Clarkson actually said anything?  I haven't seen any quotes from him.  Just curious as to what he possibly could've been thinking.

There is an article on tsn.ca

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=432683

"I think I sometimes make decisions with my heart, not my head," Clarkson said. "I saw a teammate that I felt was in trouble, and my reaction was to help. You can have many different opinions, but that was my mind-set going in. I was just going there to go to help and settle things down. That was the intent."

"It's like if you have a little brother and you feel like he's in trouble or you feel like there's a situation you can get out and help," Clarkson said. "That was the feeling I had in my belly. I had feeling to do something, and I've got to pay the consequences for it. That was the feeling, it was to go out and to try and help or to calm down a situation and now I'll serve my 10 games and come back better for it."

The part that sucks is that I'm missing these games," he said. "But at the same time I think defending teammates is something that's just in me. It's what I've done my whole life and I think that the 10 games thing obviously is tough to swallow, but when there's rules out there in place, you've got to abide by them."

I'll say sorry to the fans or anybody who's disappointed, but I was going out there and what I felt like (was) my teammates in here are first to me," Clarkson said. "That's what's gotten me to where I am in my career, that's why I believe I'm here. I think that's just the person I am. If anyone was in trouble in here, I would try to go to help and that was what I did."

Posted Image

#71 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,451 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

Dear lord man -- YOU can't say you have a heart of gold -- only others get to. 

See -- already he's sounded like he's making charming excuses to his wife for getting drunk and coming home at --  well, after practice the following day "I wasn't cheating Honey - I was over at Marty's and, and I knew you didn't want me driving drunk.  I'm so sorry for drinking so much -- Boy am I sorry now though!  But I knew I had to just stop and take care of myself for you and our baby, honey.  You now, I'm a real jerk for not calling - hey dont be mad at Marty - he didn't realize or I know he would have called you for me  :blahblah: "  you just end up thinking "My ASS. Here's a shovel just keeeep talking you miserable suckup lying cheating fvckhead"

Edited by Pepperkorn, 25 September 2013 - 08:22 AM.

I'm here for the party

#72 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,566 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:40 AM

I'm usually not one to over-judge players when they make in-the-moment mistakes (the way so much of the seemingly "we're always perfect" media does), but what Clarkson did was just so flat-out DUMB...especially when he knows the rule.  I didn't see anything going on during that brawl that should make a player say, "fvck the 10 games, I gotta get out there, it's life or death!"  PK's take on it is actually pretty accurate...don't try to justify stupidity by twisting it into a "I do dumb things that my hurt my team because I'm actually a super-swell guy, I really am."

That being said, though I was curious to hear what he had to say, I don't think there's anything that he could have said that would've had me thinking, "Well, guess what he did was OK after all."

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#73 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:58 AM

Unless Scott had Kessel pinned to the ice and was beating his face in, Clarkson had no business trying to save the day like "a big brother". I think Kessel's a sad little wimp, mind you, but he's a grown man and can take care of himself. Not in a fight, per say, but, as he showed by trying to hack Scott's ankles, there are ways of avoiding injury. If the Leafs win less than 5 of their first 10 games, you can bet Clarkson will be feeling the heat.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#74 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:21 AM

How long until they realize that was a horrible contract for David and they buy him out so he can come running back to NJ
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#75 Aznjsn

Aznjsn

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:26 AM

I don't know why everyone is giving Clarkson such a hard time...  get over it, he's not in NJ anymore. Let the man be.

Put food on my family

#76 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

I don't know why everyone is giving Clarkson such a hard time...  get over it, he's not in NJ anymore. Let the man be.

There's nothing to get over, for most of us.  I'm pretty sure noone here wanted him on that contract.  

He did something stupid worth commenting on.

believe-ll.jpg

#77 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,451 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:58 AM

Kessel was astounding -- what a p^ssy!  and he KEPT IT UP!  :doh1:  That puts Kessel damm close to Robiero territory for me.  Not the same style of "douche" (as you all say ^_^) but equal in the douchey department.

I'm here for the party

#78 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,566 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

I had no problem with Clarkson leaving, and don't hold the slightest grudge against him...he got an offer he couldn't refuse, and for his hometown team.  I don't blame him for taking it, nor Lou for saying, "No thanks, not going there."  I think both sides made the right decision.

If this had been anyone else in the same boat, I think the reaction largely would have been the same here.  People make mistakes, but sometimes do so in a "Well, I can see why" kind of way.  This one is really hard to justify, especially for a guy who clearly isn't some expendable clown in his franchise's eyes, with the contract he was given...if it's Cam Janssen doing it, fine, but the Leafs think they've got themselves a poor man's Wendel Clark.  There was simply nothing happening on the ice that should have led Clarkson to kill 1/8th of his season. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 25 September 2013 - 10:13 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#79 Aznjsn

Aznjsn

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

I had no problem with Clarkson leaving, and don't hold the slightest grudge against him...he got an offer he couldn't refuse, and for his hometown team.  I don't blame him for taking it, nor Lou for saying, "No thanks, not going there."  I think both sides made the right decision.

If this had been anyone else in the same boat, I think the reaction largely would have been the same here.  People make mistakes, but sometimes do so in a "Well, I can see why" kind of way.  This one is really hard to justify, especially for a guy who clearly isn't some expendable clown in his franchise's eyes, with the contract he was given...if it's Cam Janssen doing it, fine, but the Leafs think they've got themselves a poor man's Wendel Clark.  There was simply nothing happening on the ice that should have led Clarkson to kill 1/8th of his season. 

Totally on board with what you just said. Was his decison made that day a good one? Absolutely not, but he is an emotional type of player and it got the best of him. What I don't like to see is the personal vendettas some people have as if he totally ruined this franchise for taking more money elsewhere and the want to see him burn. I loved the guy when he was here and dammit I kinda liked the purehockey commercials.

Put food on my family

#80 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,566 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

Totally on board with what you just said. Was his decison made that day a good one? Absolutely not, but he is an emotional type of player and it got the best of him. What I don't like to see is the personal vendettas some people have as if he totally ruined this franchise for taking more money elsewhere and the want to see him burn. I loved the guy when he was here and dammit I kinda liked the purehockey commercials.

Keep in mind that some fans of ALL franchises take it as a slight when their free agents (especially the middle-to-higher tier ones) bolt for another team, regardless of the players' reasons for leaving.  I don't anymore.  For one, in the case of the Devils, let's face it...not too many young hockey players outside of NJ dream of one day wearing the red and black and playing in Newark...there's far sexier NHL destinations than NJ.  That's just the reality.  It's not like every player that is drafted by NJ is just thrilled beyond belief to be a possible future Devil.  And until they become UFAs (which takes some time), they don't have a whole lot of say in where they will play.  So I don't get bent out of shape anymore when guys leave...if they're UFAs, it's their right to choose their employer.  The Martys of the world who actually like being NJ lifers are pretty hard to come by. 

NJ is far from being hockey purgatory, but I give Lou a lot of credit for finding ways to keep his team competitive for as long as he has without having that built-in "sex appeal" factor to tread on...the Rangers have it no matter what they do, yet Sather has never been able to use that to help his cause. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 25 September 2013 - 11:42 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users