175 replies to this topic

#61 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:34 PM

The problem they have here is that while in theory Harrold isn't necessary, 7th D exist to step in if there's an injury - I wouldn't expect Harrold to get more than 20 games even if he is kept, he'd function more as an 8th defenseman. Keeping Urbom up as a 7th doesn't make much sense to me, unless they're convinced he's ready and they'll swap him and Volchenkov from time to time and then he'll be the first guy in with an injury. This doesn't seem to make sense either.

Indeed, Lou said he's not comfortable with someone making an NHL salary in the AHL, so that seems to make it even clearer.

Gotta be a trade then, unless he thinks Urbom will pass through waivers

#62 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:24 PM

The problem they have here is that while in theory Harrold isn't necessary, 7th D exist to step in if there's an injury - I wouldn't expect Harrold to get more than 20 games even if he is kept, he'd function more as an 8th defenseman.  Keeping Urbom up as a 7th doesn't make much sense to me, unless they're convinced he's ready and they'll swap him and Volchenkov from time to time and then he'll be the first guy in with an injury.  This doesn't seem to make sense either.

Indeed, Lou said he's not comfortable with someone making an NHL salary in the AHL, so that seems to make it even clearer.

It's not so much any of this making sense, it's just a way to protect Urbom from waivers.   But it's unlikely that Harrold gets claimed anyway.   Lou worked himself in a corner, they just have too many one ways and they've made too many signings.   They may be able to hide Tedenby for now, and hope they can play a shell game to prolong it, but Urbom's going to be tough.    It's possible he doesn't get claimed because he hasn't played much at this level, but you never know.   At least if they trade him, there wasn't that much of an initial investment, but Lou will look a little goofy pawning him off for nothing after pumping his tires for so long.

#63 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,893 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:49 PM

It's not so much any of this making sense, it's just a way to protect Urbom from waivers.   But it's unlikely that Harrold gets claimed anyway.   Lou worked himself in a corner, they just have too many one ways and they've made too many signings.   They may be able to hide Tedenby for now, and hope they can play a shell game to prolong it, but Urbom's going to be tough.    It's possible he doesn't get claimed because he hasn't played much at this level, but you never know.   At least if they trade him, there wasn't that much of an initial investment, but Lou will look a little goofy pawning him off for nothing after pumping his tires for so long.

There's no need to hide Mattias Tedenby.  Who is going to claim him?  Linus Omark just went right through waivers.  I think Urbom will go right through too - the teams that seem to lack a guy like Urbom (a guy right on the cusp of making the NHL) seem to have a bunch of D already signed.  He's not really worth anything in trade given his waiver-eligibility.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#64 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:18 PM

There's no need to hide Mattias Tedenby.  Who is going to claim him?  Linus Omark just went right through waivers.  I think Urbom will go right through too - the teams that seem to lack a guy like Urbom (a guy right on the cusp of making the NHL) seem to have a bunch of D already signed.  He's not really worth anything in trade given his waiver-eligibility.

They'd hide Tedenby because they're not going to pay him $600K to play in Albany.    Then you hope a spot opens up and you shell game all season, or he proves himself enough to where you either move him for more than you can now or move someone else.

#65 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,893 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:12 PM

They'd hide Tedenby because they're not going to pay him $600K to play in Albany.    Then you hope a spot opens up and you shell game all season, or he proves himself enough to where you either move him for more than you can now or move someone else.

Right, that's fair, but they can't really play a shell game all season with 15 forwards signed to one-ways and Stephen Gionta also around.  Something has to give somewhere, and probably soon.

I don't think Tedenby is worth anything at all, though I suppose his inexpensiveness could appear to a cap-strapped team at some point during the season.

#66 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,207 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:46 AM

Edit: Nevermind.

Edited by Marshall, 26 September 2013 - 01:59 AM.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#67 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

http://blogs.northje...till_uncertain/

Gionta is In.

what a surprise... 

#68 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,207 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:34 PM

http://blogs.northje...till_uncertain/

Gionta is In.

what a surprise... 

Well, if PDB calls the shots...which he doesn't. So there's always that at least.

believe2.jpg

#69 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,013 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

Well, if PDB calls the shots...which he doesn't. So there's always that at least.

I really hope Lou overrides PDB if need be to send Gionta down. I'd hate to lose Josefson over this. Just doesn't make sense from a talent or financial standpoint to keep Gionta.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl

My New Jersey Devils Prospect Blog
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#70 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

I really hope Lou overrides PDB if need be to send Gionta down. I'd hate to lose Josefson over this. Just doesn't make sense from a talent or financial standpoint to keep Gionta.

Devils have expended countless resources on JJ, including a first round pick. I highly doubt they're going to risk losing the superior player with upside for a career minor leaguer

#71 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

i think this is being handled diplomatically but i'm more encouraged that gionta is on his way out. pdb is making it lou's decision to keep the room. gio's out - i hope.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
Shameless Business Plug - Shop at Capitol Lighting and
1-800lighting.com - Use code NJDEVS10 for 10% OFF

#72 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,893 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:29 PM

That article does make it sound more likely that they drop Gionta on to waivers on Sunday.  DeBoer doesn't care that Josefson is 22.

#73 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

That article does make it sound more likely that they drop Gionta on to waivers on Sunday.  DeBoer doesn't care that Josefson is 22.

this is why you don't let coaches shop for the groceries. 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#74 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,207 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:47 AM

I don't wanna be that guy, but ponder this: say Marty ready/available to be part of the roster for the first game. They then have to call up Kinkaid/Wedge and send another skater down, right? 

believe2.jpg

#75 Bibby89

Bibby89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:09 AM

Wouldn't it be considered an emergency call up?

#76 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,893 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:51 AM

Wouldn't it be considered an emergency call up?

Yeah, I believe there's a contingency for a death in the family - IIRC, Brodeur would be a non-roster player until he came back.

#77 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

I think most scouts around the league with a decent head on their shoulders knows Tedenby as a player with good potential the past couple years, whether met or unmet (so far, unmet).

Considering his very good early start to camp (according to the bloggers), and very good first preseason match against the Rangers, it'd be foolish to consider him a bust again just because he's had a minor injury the past week. It seems like he'll at least make the roster opening night, maybe stick for a while too.

If he goes on waivers prematurely just because of a week out with a minor injury, I'm sure there's a scout out there who's had him on their radar who might check out tape of his first preseason game and take a gamble on claiming him, not much to lose for a cap floor team.

I don't know, maybe it's just me and I'm overvaluing him? But look at Zuccarello on the Rangers: similar player, similar size and speed, and was one of their best players on some nights when given the minutes and the chance by the coach. I don't really see Tedenby as anything too different. I'm sick of seeing him play 4 minutes a game on a line with Janssen and Sestito. It's no wonder we haven't seen much of his upside yet on the NHL level..

Edited by DJ Eco, 27 September 2013 - 08:42 AM.

#78 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:54 AM

Speaking of waivers... I may be wrong but I saw lot of players being put into them around the league... and have to see a claiming by another team.

Except an incredible bargain, i don't see other team picking up players at this time of the year (and we don't have " incredible bargain's type of players " to risk to waiver anyway... 

#79 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:04 AM

I really hope Gionta is dropped, I'd hate to see us lose Josefson on waivers just because PDB, for whatever reason, has an irrational favoritism towards Gio.
25smul5.png

#80 Anhkheg

Anhkheg

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:40 AM

Forwards:

Josefson-Elias-Ryder

Brunner-Henrique-Clowe

Bernier-Zajac-Zubrus

Olesz-Loktionov-Jagr

Carter/Tedenby (extras)

My guess - Gio/Janssen sent down

Defense:

Larsson-Greene

Salvador-Fayne

Volchenkov-Zidlicky

Urbom

My guess - Harrold sent down

Goaltenders:

Brodeur

Schneider

I could see Lou trading a Dman and another forward after Barch was gone today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users