175 replies to this topic

#81 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,287 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:42 AM

Certainly looks like this is going to be a 4 line team. I know some think the trade of Barch helps Janssen, but I still think he gets sent down. I think Carter may be the 1st extra forward now - though Jagr will miss games here and there so Carter will still get to play a fair amount even without injuries which inevitably happen. I think it comes down to Tedenby and Gionta for the 2nd extra forward spot (assuming they don't go 8 D again).

I know it's a risk to try to send Urbom down, but I could see Lou attempting it. I think they'd rather have Harrold as the 7th D and Urbom getting regular playing time in Albany. I do worry about Fayne being paired with Urbom lately - I hope Fayne isn't the odd man out - it would make no sense (unless he's getting traded). If Fayne's on the roster, he deserves to play.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#82 bekim

bekim

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:45 AM

So 3 more need to be trimmed from the list, yes?

I'd agree - Gio, Cam, and Harrold are the most likely if it's purely an AHL dump.

But I guess trading Tedenby for a bag of pucks might also be a suitable solution if they truly won't let go their hardon for Gionta, not there's much room for Gio even with a Tedenby-type trade.

#83 bekim

bekim

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

Certainly looks like this is going to be a 4 line team. I know some think the trade of Barch helps Janssen, but I still think he gets sent down. I think Carter may be the 1st extra forward now - though Jagr will miss games here and there so Carter will still get to play a fair amount even without injuries which inevitably happen. I think it comes down to Tedenby and Gionta for the 2nd extra forward spot (assuming they don't go 8 D again).

I know it's a risk to try to send Urbom down, but I could see Lou attempting it. I think they'd rather have Harrold as the 7th D and Urbom getting regular playing time in Albany. I do worry about Fayne being paired with Urbom lately - I hope Fayne isn't the odd man out - it would make no sense (unless he's getting traded). If Fayne's on the roster, he deserves to play.

Agreed w/Urbom.

I think the only "good" options there are:

-Send Urbom down & keep Harrold as 7th since no one care's about his ice time or development

-Trade a starting D (Salvador) and gamble Urbom can step in and play regular minutes, and still retain Harrold as 7th who can even alternate with Urbom if need be

#84 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,964 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:27 PM

other than JJ i don't really see who could be traded and get a good value, we just resigned Zajac, Loktio, Henrique, Elias, Zubrus and we signed Clowe, Jagr, Brunner, Olesz.. so i can't imagine Lou trading them... Bernier and carter are very useful for what they are worth i can't see us getting rid of them

www.SterioDesign.com

#85 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

Gotta figure the only two forwards with 2-way contracts are the logical ones to be sent down (Gionta, Janssen) so that will bring us down to 14 forwards, the D situation with Harrold and Urbom though remains tricky.
25smul5.png

#86 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

other than JJ i don't really see who could be traded and get a good value, we just resigned Zajac, Loktio, Henrique, Elias, Zubrus and we signed Clowe, Jagr, Brunner, Olesz.. so i can't imagine Lou trading them... Bernier and carter are very useful for what they are worth i can't see us getting rid of them

Carter and Bernier are both UFA at the end of this year and it wouldn't be crazy to think someone dumb will give them Prust money so maybe Lou trades them preemptively to make room?

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#87 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,139 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:15 AM

We should know the roster sometime today. Teams have to put player on waivers by noon.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#88 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

Assuming everyone is healthy to start the regular season:

Elias - Zajac - Ryder

Clowe - Henrique - Brunner

Zubrus - Loktionov - Jagr

Olesz - Josefson - Bernier

Carter, Tedenby

Larsson - Greene

Salvador - Zidlicky

Volchenkov - Fayne

Urbom

Schneider

Marty

Send down Janssen, Gionta, and Harrold.

#89 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

Why all of the sudden JJ love? Everyone openly and vehemently hated on this guy last year

cghico.jpg

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

NJDEVS.COM KEEPER OF: Brendan Shanahan, Continental Airlines Arena, First game at The Rock, Chuck the Duck, New Goal Horn, Devils' Dancers, Chico Eats, Rock Your Red, Clemmers Shut-out against the Rangers

#90 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

Why all of the sudden JJ love? Everyone openly and vehemently hated on this guy last year

I think that's an exaggeration, but he had a tough year last year. I've only seen glimpses here and there from the pre-season, but judging from that the love is warranted. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#91 Bibby89

Bibby89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

He definitely looks way stronger and better in most aspects of play from what I've seen. Always hoped he'd hit his potential or at least come close, maybe its finally the case,

#92 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

Janssen waived but no-one else

#93 bekim

bekim

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:31 AM

Janssen waived but no-one else

Interesting...

#94 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:32 AM

So correct me if I'm wrong here, but Larsson is the only remaining Devil on the current roster who is not waiver eligible. There's no way he's going down.

The team also has 25 players on the roster right now. Trade is the only way around it at this point, right? Unless a couple guys go on IR, what else can be done to get down to 23?

#95 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,505 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

So correct me if I'm wrong here, but Larsson is the only remaining Devil on the current roster who is not waiver eligible. There's no way he's going down.

The team also has 25 players on the roster right now. Trade is the only way around it at this point, right? Unless a couple guys go on IR, what else can be done to get down to 23?

Marty can be placed on bereavement if the 23 man roster doesn't require 2 goalies on non game days.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#96 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

They might make a paper transaction and 'send' down Larsson, but it's only for a day or so.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#97 bekim

bekim

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:39 AM

yeh, suppose they could put some people on IR - but what's the point?  none of the injuries we've heard about to date project to be long term injuries.  unless someone like jagr truly isn't ready to go, using IR to temporarily solve this issue doesn't really do much for us.

here's to Gio getting traded (which maybe NJ would feel better about than sending him down to the AHL).  fingers crossed.  maybe Tedenby+Gio for a draft pick... altho most teams want you to take a roster body back nowadays, which is fine so long as they are on a 2-way contract.  we shall see.  always the long-shot chance that Salvador gets traded.

#98 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

Yeah, I'm really surprised/disappointed that Gionta isn't on that list with Cam. I really expected Lou to pull the trigger on that one.

So the Larsson situation would do what exactly? Just buy more time to work something out before the Pittsburgh game?

This has me worried about what happens next year. Gelinas will be in Urbom's position. So will Burlon and Pesonen. While I don't think either of these players (Burlon and Pesonen) will help the Devils now, they do have NHL potential in my opinion. Hopefully Lou could get something for them.

#99 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:49 AM

Gotta be a trade in the works. Though I worry JJ and or Fayne are gone since Gionta has no value

#100 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,287 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:57 AM

Assuming no trade: I suppose Lou could temporarily send Larsson down to open a spot and IR Tedenby just to make the 3 PM deadline, right? Then maybe try to get either Gionta or Urbom through waivers after 3PM (Monday) and recall Larsson?

Assuming trade: Hate to say it because he's one of their best D, but the only player I see getting traded is Fayne. Then maybe temporarily send Larsson down or do the IR thing with Tedenby and then the sneaky waiver thing with Gionta after 3PM (Monday) when they recall Larsson?

Edited by thefiestygoat, 29 September 2013 - 11:57 AM.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users