175 replies to this topic

#141 jonnyd91

jonnyd91

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

Can't believe the Devils are practicing with the 2012 Finals 4th line as the 4th line with Josefson and Olesz as extras. Might as well play Brodeur 70 games and give Salvador 25 min a night if we are reliving 2012. 

Im betting they start the season with that 4th line too.  Little G will be a lot harder to get rid of then most think.

#142 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,943 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:47 AM

Im betting they start the season with that 4th line too.  Little G will be a lot harder to get rid of then most think.

It's not an awful 4th line, but I expect Gionta to get PK duties, which he has no business having. I also don't like it because it hasn't properly rewarded anyone for their training camp and pre-season. Josefson should be starting the season in the lineup over Gionta and Olesz over Carter. Really crappy coaching in my opinion. 

I see in Ottawa they sent down former top pick Mika Zibanejad. He had the second most points of any returning Senator this year. He was sent down because other players like Pageau and Da Costa clearly outplayed him. No free passes there. Was hoping there wouldn't be here. But why should we be surprised after Deboer gushing about Gionta a little while back. 

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#143 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

I like DeBoer a lot but really hate about his continued infatuation with Gionta.  DR33 is right as Olesz and Josefson really outplayed Gio and Carter in the pre-season.

#144 jonnyd91

jonnyd91

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:07 AM

I like DeBoer a lot but really hate about his continued infatuation with Gionta.  DR33 is right as Olesz and Josefson really outplayed Gio and Carter in the pre-season.

Agreed, but it seems Carter is another player DeBoer has a man crush on.

#145 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:09 AM

Agreed, but it seems Carter is another player DeBoer has a man crush on.

I like Carter and always thought he is a solid 4th liner.  However Olesz has completely outplayed him in the pre-season so while I like Carter, I just want the best team iced for the regular season.

#146 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:26 AM

Let's wait the real opening lineup before starting to complain ; ) 

#147 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

Let's wait the real opening lineup before starting to complain ; ) 

I'm bored so I want to complain now!

#148 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

I'm bored so I want to complain now!

Fair enough ; ) 

#149 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,241 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

Can't believe the Devils are practicing with the 2012 Finals 4th line as the 4th line with Josefson and Olesz as extras. Might as well play Brodeur 70 games and give Salvador 25 min a night if we are reliving 2012. 

i'm not convinced he's sitting JJ. tedenby obviously isn't going to play and if jagr is healthy, he's in for carter. it's jj vs gionta and i hope jj gets the call.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#150 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,317 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

I'm wondering about the thought process behind JJs different line mates during the pre-season. He got to play with 4th liners and with top liners and did well with both. I'm curious as to the reasoning behind that.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#151 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:46 AM

is carter now our defacto enforcer-lite?

#152 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,850 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:34 PM

The Devils really don't have an enforcer. Carter and Bernier scrap but not a whole lot. Seems like they've put more of an emphasis on skaters. They have solid depth. I was looking at their roster. Did a new piece on them. Hasan will have more in depth. I just assessed the roster. I'll be doing predictions at some point.

Devils set roster: Elias on IR, Jagr ready

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#153 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,183 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

I'm also nervous about guys like Olesz and Josefson sitting. I won't complain about Carter playing but there is no way Gionta should be in over Olesz or Josefson. I'm also worried that Harrold is going to be in the line up for Fayne.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#154 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,241 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:16 PM

I'm also nervous about guys like Olesz and Josefson sitting. I won't complain about Carter playing but there is no way Gionta should be in over Olesz or Josefson. I'm also worried that Harrold is going to be in the line up for Fayne.

i don't want these things either - but i'm not going to get too crazy over game 1 even if it's CBGB while olesz and josefson sit. if, as we expect, gionta can't cut it, he'll be out plenty quick.

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-

#155 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

I love the utter panic that sets in around here sometimes.  And we haven't even played a game that counts yet.  Good times. 

Posted Image

#156 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,943 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

I love the utter panic that sets in around here sometimes.  And we haven't even played a game that counts yet.  Good times. 

So much utter panic. I am freaking out man! 

Geez...it's just discussion. I think player A has been better than player B. I think it's been very clear actually. I think it might cost the Devils the playoffs, maybe even the Cup.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#157 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,446 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:23 PM

dr33, can't have it both ways there.

I do have faith that if Gionta goes into the scoring slump we know he's capable of having that he will be out of the lineup, but I'd sure like it if NJ lost him on waivers to save us all that.  Sometimes coaches have to be saved from themselves.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#158 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,943 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

dr33, can't have it both ways there.

I do have faith that if Gionta goes into the scoring slump we know he's capable of having that he will be out of the lineup, but I'd sure like it if NJ lost him on waivers to save us all that.  Sometimes coaches have to be saved from themselves.

Can't have what both ways? I was being sarcastic too with my last line.  

I don't see Gionta going on waivers. I like the player, like his story. He can play the 4th line in this league, but not at the expense of Josefson. And as we know, Gionta gets put in roles that he can't handle. "He's a key part of this hockey team."

logokx.jpg

#159 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

I'm more scared that Fayne will be sitting unless Salvador is getting traded.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac, 01 October 2013 - 05:51 PM.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#160 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,241 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:57 PM

I'm more scared that Fayne will be sitting unless Salvador is getting traded.

again - same thing as CBGB. I'm not gonna get bent out of shape for game 1 and if they're winning consistently while josefson and fayne are scratched, i'm not going to jump up and down about it. i imagine that injuries and poor play will do their fair share to get guys like josefson and fayne in the lineup. guys like sal are gonna get the benefit of the doubt and if they're truly awful, they'll get sheltered but are staying in the lineup. gionta is not one of those guys.

20082719943.png
-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users