175 replies to this topic

#161 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:22 PM

With all the change, I think Deboer is looking for a constant (CBGB) to start the season. I can't imagine Gio staying for most the season. JJ and Tedenby should be the extras once things get settled. Now the main question is how do they get Gelinas or Merrill up.

#162 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:39 PM

With all the change, I think Deboer is looking for a constant (CBGB) to start the season. I can't imagine Gio staying for most the season. JJ and Tedenby should be the extras once things get settled. Now the main question is how do they get Gelinas or Merrill up.

Secretly hope that Sal or Volch gets injured. Or that Volch retires to play in the KHL, LOL.

#163 Guadana

Guadana

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:16 PM

Secretly hope that Sal or Volch gets injured. Or that Volch retires to play in the KHL, LOL.

SKA wait for him. 

best jersey - jersey without surnames - only with numbers

#164 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

Can't believe Olesz does not have a spot. I love carter be Rusty is much better, he showed a ton in the preseaosn and Gio over Josefson?? Give me a break.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#165 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:09 PM

Can't believe Olesz does not have a spot. I love carter be Rusty is much better, he showed a ton in the preseaosn and Gio over Josefson?? Give me a break.

It's just game 1 and we don't even really know yet. Carter has put in some time with the club and is a known entity. Olesz, while having played for PDB already, is a bit of a ? at this point. I don't think having Carter in over Olesz or Lil Gio in over JJ is gonna kill us, even if it was for the whole season. Might not be the best, but I don't think JJ and Olesz are THAT much better, maybe JJ is that much better than Gio, but he needs to put up some offense so we can better utilize his defensive skills against better competition while still having a chance to score.

#166 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:21 PM

Gionta is a sh!tty center.   I don't understand the obsession.   You'd think at least put Carter at C and let one of the other guys play on the open wing.   I guess with a prime spot on the PK opened up, we should get ready for plenty of him there, too, being slow to react and sticking the passing lanes with the length you'd expect out of a pee-wee player.

Edited by maxpower, 02 October 2013 - 04:22 PM.

#167 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,041 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:30 PM

Gionta is a sh!tty center.   I don't understand the obsession.   You'd think at least put Carter at C and let one of the other guys play on the open wing.   I guess with a prime spot on the PK opened up, we should get ready for plenty of him there, too, being slow to react and sticking the passing lanes with the length you'd expect out of a pee-wee player.

They could scratch little Gio and put Olesz in the lineup with Carter at center, I'd be fine with that...but like Harrold, little Gio's a plucky role player that's been turned into an indispensible member of the lineup, and that's silly.  Especially with his clear limitations as an NHL center.  For some reason they don't want to play Carter at center, and they're sure as shooting not going to play Gio at LW since he's a righty shot.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#168 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

Yeah what's going on with Fayne constantly being part of the 4th D pair? Harrold isn't bad, but it's getting ridiculous now. Fayne has been surprisingly solid since he first started playing here. Defensively, one of the better ones, in my opinion.

#169 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,193 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

Yeah what's going on with Fayne constantly being part of the 4th D pair? Harrold isn't bad, but it's getting ridiculous now. Fayne has been surprisingly solid since he first started playing here. Defensively, one of the better ones, in my opinion.

Agreed. I'm starting to find myself conflicted on DeBoer. I love his system but some of his personnel choices irk me. I hope Fayne gets to play or gets traded. We'll see what happens with injuries but I wouldn't trust Fayne getting into games off of poor games by Salvador, Volchenkov, and Zidlicky. Harrold seems to be a DeBoer favorite too.

Read that the Avalanche are desperate for D help. Wonder if they'd have interest in Fayne? He's cheap, effective, buys them at least a year or more (if they re-signed him) to develop their D talent. They have some young interesting players up front and could use upgrading on their D to back that up. I doubt Fayne would cost much, maybe they'd bite.

Avalanche Picks
2014: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th
2015: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th

Edited by thefiestygoat, 02 October 2013 - 05:08 PM.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#170 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

I like DeBoer, but yeah I'm getting a little irked with some of his personnel choices as well. The Gionta obsession is annoying and Harrold playing over Fayne is a straight-up joke. I get that Sal and Volch are gonna play and that's all there is to it (unfortunately), but there's no excuse for Harrold being in over Fayne. I don't want to say that DeBoer plays favorites, but it's hard not to think that sometimes.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#171 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:58 PM

They could scratch little Gio and put Olesz in the lineup with Carter at center, I'd be fine with that...but like Harrold, little Gio's a plucky role player that's been turned into an indispensible member of the lineup, and that's silly.  Especially with his clear limitations as an NHL center.  For some reason they don't want to play Carter at center, and they're sure as shooting not going to play Gio at LW since he's a righty shot.

I don't understand why, he's a decent defensive player and competent at taking face offs.   Maybe it hurts him offensively because it limits where he can go?  Do we get THAT much offense out of the 4th that letting Ryan Carter roam, at the cost of a 35% faceoff guy centering the line, is worth something?

#172 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,503 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

Carter was pretty bad at center, for what it's worth.  I can't go nuts about the 4th line yet - Gionta has the results even if he doesn't have the microstats - but I can go nuts if Gionta has a bad first 10 games and he's still getting in there.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#173 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,248 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

Carter was pretty bad at center, for what it's worth.  I can't go nuts about the 4th line yet - Gionta has the results even if he doesn't have the microstats - but I can go nuts if Gionta has a bad first 10 games and he's still getting in there.

i don't think he gets a bad 3 games before he's out. he and carter can't have 2 bad games in a row or jj and olesz will be right back in there. again, i can't go crazy about this because between elias, jagr and clowe, you're gonna have forwards missing games for injury. same with fayne.

i don't love that guys don't have defined roles and that fayne could spend the year getting jerked around and i know that players don't like it either. but the depth will help this year.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#174 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,041 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

i don't think he gets a bad 3 games before he's out. he and carter can't have 2 bad games in a row or jj and olesz will be right back in there. again, i can't go crazy about this because between elias, jagr and clowe, you're gonna have forwards missing games for injury. same with fayne.

i don't love that guys don't have defined roles and that fayne could spend the year getting jerked around and i know that players don't like it either. but the depth will help this year.

In theory this sounds great, but I ain't exactly sure about it taking place in reality.  It isn't just that DeBoer played Gionta every game last year (he had to with our lack of depth and JJ failing), it's that he gave him way more icetime and responsibility than he should have had.  It isn't just that he plays Harrold a lot, he played him EVERY GAME in the second half when we had insane D depth.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#175 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:21 PM

cbgbs works for me!

are the other lines set for tomorrow yet?

@https://twitter.com/HarroldYouDoing

Posted Image

#176 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:43 PM

I'm a huge fan of Stephen Gionta, but he shouldn't be in the lineup over Josefson.  I love the CBGB line as much as anyone, but we need our 12 best forwards to be in the lineup.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users