33 replies to this topic

#21 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:27 PM

Offer sheets in general are frowned upon. There's like a code. The Flyers (Weber), Blues (Kesler) and Canucks (Backes) are all examples along with the Oilers (Vanek). Edmonton offer sheeted Penner after the Ducks' Cup year and Anaheim didn't match. It didn't exactly pan out for the Oilers.

Hasan is correct. The Rangers can clear enough room to fit Stepan in. Callahan is said to be closer than Hagelin. Personally, I'd like to see Slats dump Asham. Pyatt might also be a candidate. But he has history with Vigneault and has looked decent. Boyle is too valuable to move. Still a top face off and penalty kill guy. Moore's addition gives them more flexibility. As far as Sather's comments, what would you expect? D-Step has no arbitration rights and he's doing what he always does with restricted. Once the dust settles, I expect the two sides to agree on a bridge deal around $3 million.

I think offer sheets don't happen that often because they're almost always futile and then you're really just being a dick for offering one.

However, when you have a realistic shot at actually getting a player it makes more sense. From some team's perspective it's a one in a lifetime chance to get a 23 year old first or second line center for a few draft picks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#22 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

Isles could easily do it. Then they can throw big money at Lunqvist to really stick it to the Rags. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Isles spending money, I'll believe it when I see it.    Spending $5-6M per on Stepan at the cost of future ELC fodder.    Ain't happening.

#23 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:50 PM

Isles could easily do it. Then they can throw big money at Lunqvist to really stick it to the Rags. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Isles spending money, I'll believe it when I see it. Spending $5-6M per on Stepan at the cost of future ELC fodder. Ain't happening.

Wang has the unfair reputation of being a cheapskate. He isn't. If he were the Isles would be in Kansas City or Seattle by now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#24 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,081 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:32 AM

Offer sheets in general are frowned upon. There's like a code. The Flyers (Weber), Blues (Kesler) and Canucks (Backes) are all examples along with the Oilers (Vanek). Edmonton offer sheeted Penner after the Ducks' Cup year and Anaheim didn't match. It didn't exactly pan out for the Oilers.

Hasan is correct. The Rangers can clear enough room to fit Stepan in. Callahan is said to be closer than Hagelin. Personally, I'd like to see Slats dump Asham. Pyatt might also be a candidate. But he has history with Vigneault and has looked decent. Boyle is too valuable to move. Still a top face off and penalty kill guy. Moore's addition gives them more flexibility. As far as Sather's comments, what would you expect? D-Step has no arbitration rights and he's doing what he always does with restricted. Once the dust settles, I expect the two sides to agree on a bridge deal around $3 million.

Sather really shouldn't be criticizing ANYONE...he's mostly been a colossal fvck-up since becoming the Rangers' GM, but yet somehow retains his arrogance.  One Conference Final appearance in his entire time there.  Seemingly countless bad contracts signed under his watch, and very little creativity shown in his moves.  His track record would've gotten him canned from almost any other organization, but Dolan thinks the guy walks on water, so apparently he has a job for life.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#25 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,428 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

Wang has the unfair reputation of being a cheapskate. He isn't. If he were the Isles would be in Kansas City or Seattle by now. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Islanders used every trick in the book to get over the salary floor.  They signed horrible veterans to bonus-laden contracts.  They promoted young players too early so that their bonuses would count against the floor.  They traded for the contract of a guy who wasn't playing but whose contract would count on the cap.  If they're not cheap, I don't know who is.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#26 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:45 AM

The Islanders used every trick in the book to get over the salary floor.  They signed horrible veterans to bonus-laden contracts.  They promoted young players too early so that their bonuses would count against the floor.  They traded for the contract of a guy who wasn't playing but whose contract would count on the cap.  If they're not cheap, I don't know who is.

Wang also gave DiPietro one of the most ridiculous contracts you'll ever see, and, if the reports are to be believed anyway, offered Kovalchuk a ton of money.  He also didn't fool around when it came to giving Tavares his extension.

The Isles spend so little at the moment more out of circumstance than anything else.  Milbury so damaged that team that they were never in a place where it never made any plausible sense to pursue the big name free agents, and even if they did, those guys would not want to sign there anyway.  And then there was just the bad luck of, up until Tavares, never drafting someone that would truly demand the huge dollars. 

A true cheap skate would have sold the team a while ago.

Posted Image

#27 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,428 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

Wang also gave DiPietro one of the most ridiculous contracts you'll ever see, and, if the reports are to be believed anyway, offered Kovalchuk a ton of money.  He also didn't fool around when it came to giving Tavares his extension.

The DiPietro extension was thought to be a money-saving contract.  If they thought he was a star goalie (they shouldn't've, but they did), DiPietro right now would be an enormous bargain.  The average starting goalie makes more than $4M, and star goalies make considerably more, and that's with an economic downturn and artifical reduction in the cap in between DiPietro's huge contract and now.

The Tavares extension is simply what you have to do in today's NHL to keep a player.  And again, with all their other contracts, it's significantly backloaded, so who knows what Wang will do once the piper has to be paid.

The Isles spend so little at the moment more out of circumstance than anything else.  Milbury so damaged that team that they were never in a place where it never made any plausible sense to pursue the big name free agents, and even if they did, those guys would not want to sign there anyway.  And then there was just the bad luck of, up until Tavares, never drafting someone that would truly demand the huge dollars.

Again, it's not just that the Islanders haven't spent money on free agents.  It's that they have been significantly below the salary floor in actual dollars paid in several seasons.  

A true cheap skate would have sold the team a while ago.

Owning a sports team is fun.  I don't know how much Wang loses on that team - obviously not what he tells the media - but I imagine it's worth it for him.

Edited by Triumph, 25 September 2013 - 12:00 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#28 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:35 PM

Stepan is just the tip of the iceberg. I am going to genuinely enjoy this offseason when the rangers have to somehow give, lundqvist, callahan, girardi, del zotto, moore, and brassard raises. More so lundqvist, cally, and girardi than the rest. Still I cant see them being able to keep them all

#29 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:39 AM

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC 1m

Various reports indicate both Stepan and Rangers are in agreement on a two-year deal. Final total expected to be in neighbourhood of $6.5M,

Posted Image

#30 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:16 PM

Stepan is just the tip of the iceberg. I am going to genuinely enjoy this offseason when the rangers have to somehow give, lundqvist, callahan, girardi, del zotto, moore, and brassard raises. More so lundqvist, cally, and girardi than the rest. Still I cant see them being able to keep them all

Kreider too. I think Moore and Brassard will be dark horses of the group, as far as value is concerned. I think they're going to both have a really good contract year.... Show me the money!

Edited by DJ Eco, 26 September 2013 - 12:17 PM.

#31 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

6.15 over 2 years.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#32 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

Have we seen any higher bridge contracts than this? 3.075 for Stepan is really cheap, but more than any bridge contract I can think of.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#33 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

Kreider too. I think Moore and Brassard will be dark horses of the group, as far as value is concerned. I think they're going to both have a really good contract year.... Show me the money!

Yeah youre right kreider too, I dont know if he will be due a big raise though unless he has an outstanding year. I dont think moore is that great but all my ranger fan friends love him. Brassard is a very good player though and I can see him getting a deal between 3-4 mil

#34 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,843 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

Yeah youre right kreider too, I dont know if he will be due a big raise though unless he has an outstanding year. I dont think moore is that great but all my ranger fan friends love him. Brassard is a very good player though and I can see him getting a deal between 3-4 mil

Brassard looks good. He might start with Zuccarello and Pouliot. He's a restricted next summer who already makes $3.2 million. If he puts it together, 60 points is possible. Moore looks like a good fit for AV's new system. He's looked better than Del Zotto. If I had to choose between the 2, I'd keep Moore. Kreider hasn't looked good. He's getting the benefit of the doubt. They're trying him up front on the power play. But his biggest strength is his speed. Zuccarello is also restricted next year. Including Justin Falk who I'm skeptical on, that's six Group II. Slats must get Lundqvist done. Callahan and Girardi will be harder to re-sign. They'll lose some salary and have the benefit of a higher cap.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users