61 replies to this topic

#41 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:46 AM

What does 50 million come out to in today's money?

#42 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,672 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:10 AM

What does 50 million come out to in today's money?

Maybe a good way to look at it without reference to the CPI and the like, is to compare average MLB salaries (no salary cap) from 2003 to todayish.  2003 average salary = $2.55 million; 2012 = $3.4 million

So roughly $66 million

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#43 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:12 AM

Maybe a good way to look at it without reference to the CPI and the like, is to compare average MLB salaries (no salary cap) from 2003 to todayish.  2003 average salary = $2.55 million; 2012 = $3.4 million

So roughly $66 million

Ah ok. So about what our salary is this year lol

#44 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,582 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

it's a very difficult exercise because, if there was a cap, then salaries might have been different. richard shmelik was a late season acquisition. some guys on that list played very little. and sykora wasn't around even though you mentioned him. if you want to argue that building the 99-00 team would be a tall order in today's dollars and salary cap, i can get behind that because that team had many more guys that would've been getting serious dollars in today's market/cap.

I didn't count Smehlik, FYI.  I mentioned Sykora because the Devils traded him for Friesen and Tverdovsky, all 3 of whom would've been UFA under the current rules, so it just changes everything that happened, obviously.  Point is, you don't get the enormous savings from Rafalski and Madden that NJ got, even with the contracts Lou had to give to them because of his mistake.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#45 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:11 PM

I love when people bring up Clarkson with our goal scoring. He was just as much a contributor to those games where we couldn't score on a pee wee goalie. Clowe at least has a history of putting up points other then goals. I know some of that is because he plays on really good offensive teams but still the high difference can't be all that can it?

#46 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:59 PM

This is great news. This is a far better team than last year. Lou upgraded the roster with some great signings (Brunner was a steal). We are better on the blue line with Larsson getting more minutes. Getting Schneider fills a huge void behind Marty. I don't think Jagr makes it to 2014 with us, but we are very solid and don't really need him to compete. Looking forward to a great season.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#47 Ollie McKraut

Ollie McKraut

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:49 PM

Before two years ago Clarkson always shot right at the goalie's chest. I'm glad that we are ranked low because we seem to do better when we aren't expected to compete. Would be interested to see a comparison between predicted finishes and actual finishes over the past 20 years or so.

The '10-'11 team was better than last year's team. That team would have done serious damage in the postseason if not for the MacLean nightmare. Idk what happened last year but we just seemed to lose so many nights. The goaltending was really poor and probably the reason we missed the playoffs.

Send us back to hell,
we've had out fill of heaven,
give us back our sins,
deadly one through seven

#48 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

If the Devils hadn't gotten Schneider, then I could definitely see the potential for a blow-up type season...but a rag like SI isn't going to do a whole lot of research on each team anyway...the writer probably took a quick look at the arrivals and departures, immediately focused on Kovy leaving, and the signing of Jagr (because he's the "biggest" and best-known name), and made his prediction accordingly. 

If someone wants to predict the Devils are going to finish second-to-last in their conference, fine...but tell the whole story, and support the prediction with fleshed-out ideas.  Don't just completely leave out the acquisition of Schneider (clearly a VERY big deal) or guys like Ryder and Clowe.  Don't make it sound like the only move Lou made to fortify the team was to sign Jagr.  That blurb about the Devils sounds like it was written by some casual Rangers fan who barely follows the NHL.  Like I said, I don't have a problem with the prediction...just the way it was made.  I get the feeling if you mentioned some of the names the Devils brought in to the author, he'd have no idea what you were talking about.   

Agree with this statement. we go as far as our new goalie takes us. and everyone needs to chip in with some timely goals. we do not have a lot of fire power and we have some self inflicted flaws at key defensive positions

#49 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

Let me guess: The top 5 teams are the Penguins, Bruins, Blackhawks and Red Wings and Kings or Canucks. The Rags and Flyers are ranked somewhere to make the playoffs despite not addressing any needed issues in the off season. The Oilers are also predicted to finish somewhere near the bottom of the west as well.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#50 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:10 AM

I was in Vegas the other day.  Here's what they think (odds to win it all):

Chicago 6/1

Pittsburgh 6/1

Rangers 8/1

Los Angeles 8/1

Boston 8/1

Detroit 13/1

St. Louis 15/1

Vancouver 15/1

Montreal 20/1

San Jose 20/1

Toronto 20/1

Anaheim 22/1

Minnesota 25/1

Islanders 25/1

Philadelphia 25/1

Washington 25/1

Edmonton 30/1

Ottawa 30/1

Dallas 40/1

Colorado 40/1

New Jersey 45/1

Nashville 50/1

Tampa Bay 50/1

Columbus 60/1

Carolina 60/1

Phoenix 60/1

Winnipeg 75/1

Buffalo 80/1

Calgary 100/1

Florida 150/1

So the money says we finished 6th in our division.

Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#51 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:25 AM

Why on earth would they put the Rags in the top 4?

Posted Image

#52 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:52 AM

Because New York.

And Hank can win games on his own, pretty much.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#53 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,760 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:54 AM

The Rangers team without Torts holding some talents asking them to play a game who's not theirs and benching top players for full periods could be good.

We may not want to admit it but on paper they have a pretty good and deep team

Edited by SterioDesign, 30 September 2013 - 09:55 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#54 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:53 AM

The Rangers team without Torts holding some talents asking them to play a game who's not theirs and benching top players for full periods could be good.

Torts also created a system that made Lundqvist look better than maybe he really is. Look at how many goals they've been letting in per game this preseason. I know "it's just preseason", but Henrik has never started out this shaky, ever..

#55 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

Torts also created a system that made Lundqvist look better than maybe he really is. Look at how many goals they've been letting in per game this preseason. I know "it's just preseason", but Henrik has never started out this shaky, ever..

Meh, the team is adjusting to a new coach, etc.  I'd love the Rangers to suck as much as anyone...hell, I want them to go 0-82-0 every season...but I can't make too much of anything that's happening in preseason, or even the beginning of the regular season for that matter.  DeBoer's 2011-12 Devils were looking pretty shaky through the first third of that season.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#56 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

I don't know why the Red Wings are picked so high.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#57 bostondevil11

bostondevil11

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:10 AM

I don't know why the Red Wings are picked so high.

They are the Red Wings a sexy pick.  Just like how the Devils always get thrown to the bottom.

#58 Guadana

Guadana

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:41 PM

becouse they have Henk

best jersey - jersey without surnames - only with numbers

#59 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

They have a good team on paper EVERY YEAR because the spend money on making a splash (Gomez, Drury, Reddin, Richards, etc.).   The game is not played on paper.

I think the Rags are going to be pretty bad this year without Torts holding them accountable.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#60 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,859 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

They have a good team on paper EVERY YEAR because the spend money on making a splash (Gomez, Drury, Reddin, Richards, etc.).   The game is not played on paper.

I think the Rags are going to be pretty bad this year without Torts holding them accountable.

I think the Rags success is very contingent on how quickly the player adopt AV's style.  Like CR1976 said earlier today, they will probably start slow but get better as the season goes on.

I still do not see them winning the division during the regular season or going beyond the conference finals in the playoffs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users