50 replies to this topic

#41 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,997 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:50 PM

Don't fooled by the 57 points-against number the Pats have put up through four games...though the Pats have a way of giving up less points than it feels like they should, the Genius' D once again provided little resistance at the end of a game, and found itself unable to pick up where the offense left off.  Yeah, you had a special teams gaffe (the onside kick fumble), and Brady's fumble, but heaven forbid the Patriot D EVER pick up the rest of the team.  Three straight deep drives in the fourth quarter.  Yes, the Pats did hold Atlanta to a field goal instead of a TD when it was 30-20, and Talib (the saving grace on D last night) made a big play in the end zone with Atlanta having a chance to tie it up, but I've seen that sh!t so many times...same ol' Pats D.   

On the obvious plus side, they haven't lost a game yet.  Thompkins looks like a guy who will always be fighting the ball, but at least he's starting to make some plays.  I didn't think they'd win last night, so to me this is the first "bonus" win of the season.  Taking it and moving on.

I'm a little confused. The Pats red zone defense was excellent on the final few series. When a team is down a few scores and goes hurry up/spreads the offense around, they are going to get a lot of yards (especially a team like Atlanta in the dome with those weapons). Excellent coaching taking Gonzalez out of the picture and leaving Ryan scrambling for anyone else. Great bend, but not break defense. And if you watch a lot of games, that doesn't happen too often inside the 10. The Patriots red zone defense was excellent all game long.

Poor Mike Smith. So many bad decisions. Going for it on 4th and 2 down 7-3 was really dumb. I understand everyone has been on you about being too conservative, but that's not a smart decision. Get the field goal and keep it a 1 score game even with a NE TD. This isn't the 2007 Patriots here. It isn't like you'll be trading field goals for TDs all night with them. Having said that, it was an excellent play call. Roddy White was wide open, but just a brutal throw by Ryan.

And late in the game down 10...4th and 1. (Now ESPN writer Bill BarnwelI wrote about this, but I was thinking the exact same thing at the time). I get the need to make it a 1-score game, but if you can't convert 1 yard at the 7 yard line, you aren't winning anyway. You are too far with so little time to settle for 3. Plus once you kick the field goal, and go for an onside kick, a team is usually one first down from attempting a field goal to back up two scores. If they went for it on 4th and 1 and converted, Atlanta might be getting the ball back only needing 3 at the end of the game or even having the chance to take the lead. 

3 minutes left. Attempt a 4th and 1 from the 7.

Edited by devilsrule33, 30 September 2013 - 02:52 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#42 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,357 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

They've been bend-but-don't break for years.  The problem with the bend-but-don't break Ds is, eventually, they tend to start breaking...usually against the tougher (read:  playoff) opponents.  There have been times they've been able to put the clamps on inside their own 20 (part of the reason why the PA is good for the amount of yards they give up), but it would be nice if their opponents didn't have such an easy time marching down the field to the red zone in the first place. 

And I agree, questionable coaching by Atlanta in this game.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 30 September 2013 - 04:01 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#43 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

Wilfork done for the year with an Achilles' tear.  Now we'll see if Belichek's "defensive genius" label is well-deserved, because he's going to have to scramble to figure out how to line up this D, especially against the run.

VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#44 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,382 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:30 PM

Hey Manta....

:clap: :lol: :dance:

That's what happens when you trade your best offensive player to SF. Even though we sucked we still made it close.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#45 LOTCB

LOTCB

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:34 AM

That's what happens when you trade your best offensive player to SF. Even though we sucked we still made it close.

And the Bills played without their top 4 CB's and moved a FS to CB! CMON EXCU$E$!!!!

Tim Murray (Buffalo Sabres GM) Quotes:  'It's Easy To Spend Money' "I’ve said at the start that if you don’t want to be here we’ll make it happen'

“We’re more competitive. We’ve got a lot of character now. We have leadership now. That’s important to me when you’re adding young players every year"

Truly, The Anti-Regier

#46 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,179 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

The Ravens' game plan was moronic...you have Ray Rice playing and a healthy Bernard Pierce and you run the ball NINE TIMES against a Bills' D that made Bilal Powell look like Emmitt Smith the previous week?!  Vereen/Ridley gashed them Week 1 and the Panthers ran for 100+ in Week 2 as well.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#47 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,382 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

The Ravens' game plan was moronic...you have Ray Rice playing and a healthy Bernard Pierce and you run the ball NINE TIMES against a Bills' D that made Bilal Powell look like Emmitt Smith the previous week?!  Vereen/Ridley gashed them Week 1 and the Panthers ran for 100+ in Week 2 as well.

I do not disagree.  But for some reason our run blocking isn't what it used to be.  Maybe today's trade helps us in that regard.   But if we had a viable wide receiver corps outside of Torrey Smith, we could spread the field more and open the running lanes, but no one respects our WR corps and frankly neither do I.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#48 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,605 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:03 PM

Tampa Bay cuts Freeman today, they had totally tanked his trade value anyway :P

Possible teams?
Oakland? Jacksonville? Minnesota? Dare I say the Jets?
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#49 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

-Oakland, No.  They're going to ride with Pryor and see what they have.

-New York, eh.  If I were the Jets I'd stay far away unless Geno turns in another 2-3 dumpster fire performances.

-Jacksonville has already said "no interest" and I'd imagine that hasn't changed. 

But Minnesota...that's an interesting idea.  Neither Ponder nor Castle is necessarily a world-beater, and they can be a good team with the right QB running the show (although their sieve of a pass defense is a problem)

If he's willing to take backup reps, he could be an improvement on at least 15 QB situations right now at a minimum salary deal (since the Bucs are stuck paying him 6.6 MM iirc). 

Does anyone run a similar offense to Tampa in the NFL?

Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that

#50 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:19 PM

I know he has ties with people from Oakland and green bay. Oakland is possible as Flynn was demoted to the third string QB

#51 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

If I'm Minnesota, Arizona, St. Louis, or Cincinatti, I kick the tires and see what he's got.  Freeman COULD be better than the incumbents, and even in Cleveland, they're one Brian Hoyer injury away from mediocrity again.  Everyone else is simply backup and depth

EDIT: From http://www.rotoworld...21/josh-freeman

The Arizona Republic reports the Cardinals have "no interest" in Josh Freeman.
The Florida Times Union reports the same about Jacksonville. Carson Palmer has gotten off to a very poor start for Arizona, but it's hard to see how Freeman would be an upgrade. Freeman would be an upgrade in Jacksonville, but the Jags are playing for next May's draft, not this season. Oct 3 - 3:18 PM

Freeman's play had sunk to extreme lows before his benching — a 45.7 completion percentage, 6.07 YPA, 59.3 QB rating — but he's shown enough throughout his inconsistent career to earn a second chance in relatively short order, likely some time over the next 72 hours. Aside from the usual suspects like Jacksonville and Cleveland — who may not even want to try to upgrade at quarterback as they jockey for draft position — Minnesota, Tennessee, Oakland and the Jets are all possible landing spots. Cincinnati and Arizona could be dark-horse candidates

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!, 03 October 2013 - 02:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users